Old 14th October 2009, 19:33   #241
BHPian

Thank God, that Lady was not your Girlfriend wanting to propose to you
Old 14th October 2009, 20:05   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
she just continued in the single breath recitation competition
Trained like a state machine with a single catch-all routine or her TTS (Thoughts-to-Speech) engine was deprived of a suitable jump instruction .

Sorry, couldn't resist being a 9x5 programmer

-BJ
Old 15th October 2009, 13:28   #243
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Bhadhal person comes and pours in the treatment fluid and stamps the MRP 760 Rs charge! Good.

Greasing also done. Air filter cleaned
Commenting on your service history based on my experience:

Tell explicitly not to add on to the bill anything without your instruction [here Bardahl].

My point being dont let the service centres get on to the habit of adding up something or doing some "extra" work without your final say - they have your phone number and they must call up, particularly if it involves bill you.

They have done that this time with my service [not Bardahl, but some adjustments to the door or washer spindle] but not called me up, given me an atrocious labour bill for that. Right now am following through that and will take out these useless money bill from them, absolutely determined!

AS for the air filter, based on what I have talked with, they cannot be cleaned like. These are like flint kind of material and all the dust clings to it - it not like the one in a truck that you can clean with compressed air.

Air filter is one thing that must be changed even if the red band does not show it - from my experience. Or else you will find suddenly the oil consumption increasing. Change air filters every 7500 km, ie twice their service interval of 15k km.

Last edited by adc : 15th October 2009 at 13:29.
Old 15th October 2009, 20:34   #244
Senior - BHPian

@Sarvodaya & BJ69: LOL guys! Good ones!

@ADC:

The treatment was done due to my request for an oil change. So, ok with it. But got your point, will keep this in mind when the next round comes.

And the note on the air filter - is it? Did not know that. I saw him taking out the 6 screws and taking the filter for a air blast. I was under the impression this to be where a few whacks to the filter will remove most of the dust!!!

Roger on the 7.5k kms filter change.
Old 16th October 2009, 00:58   #245
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the note on the air filter - is it? Did not know that. I saw him taking out the 6 screws and taking the filter for a air blast. I was under the impression this to be where a few whacks to the filter will remove most of the dust!!! Roger on the 7.5k kms filter change.
The new air filters have a bigger edge [the orange part] and thus unlike the previous ones, one has to take out the whole cover, unplug the "Siemens ""Made in Germany!!"" plug" and then put the new filter in - of course before doing that one has to disconnect the battery as engine check light will show up otherwise as soon as you drive again. Previous ones were inserted removing the front row screws, this time for me too they had to remove all the 6 screws.

Once they change the filter, do notice the structure - as said fine fllint/cotton like and the dirt clings and embeds in it and not possible to clean with brisk shaking/whacks or even with compressed air. Very effective air filter as such!

Also have been changing engine oil around 2 or if a big strenuous journey is there 3 times every 15k with simple mineral oil - Castrol GTX, i.e, at 7.5k or 5k intervals.

One thing I enjoy and in fact take pride when 3 service centre personnel from 3 different states along with the PUC fellows who does the pollution certificate - all have commented that the engine sound they hear are best of the lot of a owned Safari. Care for these small extra things/expenditures, filter and oil change at 7.5 k, and sure the engine will be there for long, hope so at least. Enough of a gyan, enjoy riding!

Last edited by adc : 16th October 2009 at 01:13.
Old 16th October 2009, 01:57   #246
BHPian

Congratulations, nice color choice. I guess the only safari with this color option on this forum.
Old 24th October 2009, 17:42   #247
Senior - BHPian

@JackSparrow: Mmm... true, seems to be.

@All:

After the last service, 5k kms service, the vehicle was pulling to the left. Just to make sure that this was not just my feeling and due to the road, I drove around for some time before taking it back today, for a check up.

Got the alignment done and now no pulling.

I was expecting to be charged for the alignment, but it was FOC.

Also, while at it, got the head lights properly aligned.

Another point that was noted was that the person doing the alignment was setting 35 for all 4 tires in the Safari. I asked to set it to 32 for the front. So, guys, if alignment done at Mysore road Concord, check your front tire pressure.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:02   #248
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_4451.jpg

5900 kms so far and so far so good, touch wood / log / rain-forest!

My daily drive to office, shopping, fun drive with the little one and all.

One change done over the weekend, namely, moved to 90/100 bulbs from the stock ones. Did it myself over 3.5hrs of a Saturday evening.

This with no cutting nor making or any of that circus. If only I had not done the earlier blunder!

I had the wiring kit that was fixed previously, but had put the transition back fearing what the installer will do. Decided to give it a try and brought some extra wires so that I can place the relay at some proper spot instead of clutter packing it.

The wiring is simple that I am surprised that people do not do a DIY of this. Till last Saturday, I was also one of them!

The wiring for the holders were passed through the opening through which the wires for the stock bulb connectors pass through. The rubber pegs were placed, after the extra wires were in place, so that I get the seal back in place.

Though the seal is not as sealed as before, it is much much better than having a hole drilled through the cover cup of the bulb.

So, anyone looking out to do the 90/100 conversion, you can get it done, with ABSOLUTELY no cutting of wires or platic.

Apart from that, the Sundays OTR saw the vehicle getting its first damage to the bumper.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_4454.jpg

Got hit when I was waiting in queue up the path by a run-away Willy. Thank God it was nothing much or a body damage! Expected the honor to be done by a cab or auto, but never in my dreams would I have thought the first blood to be drawn by a 1963 Willy!
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:18   #249
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your first brush stroke!!!

Many more to come as you go out there - reclaiming!!!
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:19   #250
Senior - BHPian

Thanks JSL!

Yup, sure am!
Old 28th November 2009, 02:52   #251
BHPian

Yo Happywheels, i got my first blood by some vehicle when i had parked outside my apartment parking. I got hit on the side step. The quality of plastic on the side step is pathetic. I checked with tata and the price is 3500 and plastic covering is not sold independtly. I am running at 4500 kms now. I took a long drive a week ago. i touched 150-160 mark. I learnt a lot about the vehicle. Its perfect for long drives. I had not done a long drive since i brought it. I took it to tirupati but then that road will never allow u go past 90-100.

I am still looking forward to meet you. Hope the day comes soon.
Old 28th November 2009, 12:45   #252
Senior - BHPian

BlackBeast,

Is the damage such that you need to change the side step? Maybe a photo might help. It is often the case that you can use some industrial gum and stick back the plastic strip on top of the side step. If there is a bend, you might be able to hit it back into shape.

I had done this after the OTR hits.

Long drives are the best way to understand the dynamics of the vehicle and what is a perfect fit.

And yes, hope to meet you too some time soon.

We should organize a Safari owners get togethers or something, soon.
Old 30th November 2009, 08:41   #253
BANNED

Quote:
We should organize a Safari owners get togethers or something, soon.
Am I invited too?? With Hariya??
Old 30th November 2009, 14:30   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Am I invited too?? With Hariya??
didnt he mentioned safari owners meet
or may be you and your hariya as a wild card entry.lol
Old 30th November 2009, 15:30   #255
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
didnt he mentioned safari owners meet
or may be you and your hariya as a wild card entry.lol
We could be the moderators for the meet, and yes, I can wear a safari suit as well if required...

Most Viewed