Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2010, 23:12   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Yes you do and insist on getting it, if they miss out by chance...
Roger that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
...The protruding bolts are a threat to people who could come into contact with them!
Have enough things to worry about; don't want one of the street hawks to impale himself on my spare wheels space!

Got the tire fixed, with a lock and a cycle chain.

Tomorrow going to get another longer chain and lock it such that the locks is inside the frame. Trying to make it as difficult as possible, if not impossible.
Old 9th May 2010, 06:13   #317
Senior - BHPian

@HW >> Your overhead ac unit sounded like an opera singer. The overhead unit on my Safari starts with a hiss and then settles down in about 2 seconds. Thanks for sharing the video.

Its quite sad to have the wheel cover stolen. Mine is damaged so getting stolen is a remote possibility unless the thief is desperate buy his next fixx.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 9th May 2010, 07:17   #318
Senior - BHPian

sad to hear about your spare wheel cover. I thought such business was rampant only in NCR....but, ours is a one big country united on all fronts.

I normally park my truck reverse with the spare wheel against a wall / pillar, leaving only about 2-3 inches space between the wheel and the wall/pillar. This has so far helped to keep my truck out of the theft business.

My 2.2 DiCOR has those comely (and rare) all black cover with "Safari" tattooed in the middle. These were fitted on 3.0 DiCOR and it doesn't have any locking facility. It stays put and hides the "fixed asset" with just a noodle strap . I am thinking whether printing the registration number or sticking a small portrait of Pawar Bhau on the cover would scare the stealer in any way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The overhead unit on my Safari starts with a hiss and then settles down in about 2 seconds. Thanks for sharing the video.
Mine too hisses similarly. I will verify this against the video again.

Thx,

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 9th May 2010 at 07:21. Reason: combine posts
Old 9th May 2010, 08:21   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
... The overhead unit on my Safari starts with a hiss and then settles down in about 2 seconds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
...Mine too hisses similarly. I will verify this against the video again...
This is the normal working sounding. If it is just the spooling, slight hiss and then fading, then all is well. If it is a free "opera concert" , as JSL put it, then trouble. 23k worth trouble if not in warranty.

And BJ, good idea with the wall.
Old 9th May 2010, 13:27   #320
Senior - BHPian

Suresh, sorry about your loss, where was it flicked? At your home or when you had parked it somewhere outside?
Old 9th May 2010, 21:57   #321
Senior - BHPian

^^ Hari,

It got flicked from the same spot, in front of my house, where it was standing for the last 9 months. I do not have parking area in the residence, hence road parked.

Hope the current lock + cycle chain is deterrent enough for the tires protection. Fingers crossed.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:15   #322
gpa
Senior - BHPian

HW,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

What shocks me even more is the $$ for a spare wheel cover

gpa
Old 10th May 2010, 14:38   #323
Senior - BHPian

Finally, got the under body coating done.

Also got a 5 year warranty card and a 1 liter car shampoo free.

Cost all of 2531 Rs at TASS.

@GPA: Yup! That smiley just about puts the right reaction on my face (mmm... maybe a wider mouth!!!). Regardless, already on the job to get a new cover. Need to do some DIY on trying to make it more secure.
Old 20th May 2010, 20:00   #324
Senior - BHPian

500kms later, the vehicle is riding smoother, including the gear change.

The squeaking sound from the passenger seat, which was noted during service and a customary tightening of the bolts was the provided solution, is back to square one. Squeaky all along!

And got the worst mileage of all time on the last fill - 8kmpl! Reason: 4 days of sleeping in the vehicle with the a/c on thru the night!

For some strange reason, seems like TASS are currently not stocking System D. Need to source it out from Shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
...Reached Concord at 9.10am and was second in line. The vehicle finally got out at 12.10 and wash was pathetic! 3 hours of total waste...
Had given a bad rating on the call from Pune. And, what do you know, today I received a "free washing" coupon from Concord. Not that I am looking forward to getting it done back there, but liked their effort.
Old 20th May 2010, 21:52   #325
BHPian

Quote:
...Reason: 4 days of sleeping in the vehicle with the a/c on thru the night! ...
HW, Stupid question - Do you keep the engine idling to have the AC/blower to sleep inside the Safari ? Doing this for 4 nights, you got 8 kmpl ? If so, it seems like a cheap stay as compared to Bed & Bath kind of stay

Prem.
Old 20th May 2010, 22:34   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

And got the worst mileage of all time on the last fill - 8kmpl! Reason: 4 days of sleeping in the vehicle with the a/c on thru the night!
I don't suggest doing this as people have died of carbon monoxided poisoning when sleeping in cars with engines running for long periods.
Old 21st May 2010, 06:09   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I don't suggest doing this as people have died of carbon monoxided poisoning when sleeping in cars with engines running for long periods.
I was about to say if my above assumption was right. But, I thought, this would happen only in case of "internal" AC. I hate this option. I always go for "External" AC that will get me fresh air-flow.

Prem.
Old 21st May 2010, 09:08   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
HW, Stupid question - Do you keep the engine idling to have the AC/blower to sleep inside the Safari ? Doing this for 4 nights, you got 8 kmpl ? If so, it seems like a cheap stay as compared to Bed & Bath kind of stay

Prem.
It was with the engine running through out; without the engine power the compressor won't work. And come to think of it, good point, it is cheaper than the hotel stay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Sincerely appreciate and thank you for the concern.

I did this in the wide open parking of a hospital.

To put across my view: of all the reports of CO poisoning, I found it to be due to people being stupid enough to run the engine in an closed environment (garage) and run the a/c. The running engine causes the fumes, concentrating in a poorly ventilated room, which in turn causes poisoning. This is the setup one has to avoid to live longer. And, running the a/c is not required here - just run the engine in a closed environment and sleep there. It might end up being as fatal as with a/c.

The only one that confused me on the CO poisoning was the report of people who dies in a Santro that was parked on the road side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I was about to say if my above assumption was right. But, I thought, this would happen only in case of "internal" AC. I hate this option. I always go for "External" AC that will get me fresh air-flow.

Prem.
I never use that option in the Safari. It is a flawed mechanism and I plan to block that hole permanently. Even now, for fresh air, I just open the window a bit.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 21st May 2010 at 09:12.
Old 21st May 2010, 11:44   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To put across my view: of all the reports of CO poisoning... the report of people who dies in a Santro that was parked on the road side...
With AC running in "internal air" recirculation mode, windows rolled up and few adults inside car, the level of oxygen in the air that you breathe will gradually deplete and fall dangerously low so as to cause death. Don't try this.

If at all you must do this leave a couple of window glasses open at least 0.5".

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 21st May 2010 at 11:45.
Old 21st May 2010, 11:49   #330
BANNED

Quote:
Strange that nobody asked it yet, why did you have to sleep in the car, that too for 4 nights continously, that too all night long,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks