Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 15:03   #451
BHPian

Re: Headlight upgrade for Safari 2.2 DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
For those who are interested, here are the steps that I followed to upgrade my headlights to 100/130W (also supports 90/100W ).

Sorry for reviving old thread. I found another method where no need to cut wire. I took out both the headlights. Male and female socket can be passed through BackCover1, Loosen headlight adjusting screw as much as you can and then you can pass the sockets with original wiring. I will post the pics in case any one requires.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th November 2011 at 05:28. Reason: Long post quote not required.
Old 29th November 2011, 17:18   #452
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
The suspension on the Montero is harder than that of the Safari. The seats on the Montero are also harder, hence the comment from the ladies of the house on the comfort.
The seats on the Pajero are also lower on the floor and therefore not very ergonomic. Its true that the Safari is very hard to beat on ride or seating comfort.

Did you get airlockers for the Dana 44s?
Old 29th November 2011, 18:01   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
...Did you get airlockers for the Dana 44s?
Eaton vs ARB is the latest confusion!

EDIT:

... apart from the lack of information on the Safari's diff's; mailers to TATA, as expected, met with no response; hoping to get it from other sources, without any luck so far.

Next concern would be - who / where!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 29th November 2011 at 18:14.
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:49   #454
Senior - BHPian

Was in India on the for a 15 days vacation on the morning of the 9th, exactly 3 years past the date of acquisition of the Safari.

Getting into the vehicle and the first thing that hits you is the space available - tons of it.

Well, before you get into it, another things hits you - the door handle; trying to open the door you feel as if the handle was an after thought!

Drove the vehicle from Chennai to Trichy, on the way to Palakkad to pick the family. From Palakkad, it was 4 of us with a boot full of luggage's (around 150kgs worth of it!), it was drive to Goa via Kannur and Mangalore. The return route took us through Hubli, Bangalore, Trichy and then to Chennai for the flight back.

Did a total of 3,500 kms in those 15 days.

Observations:
- the amount of space inside cannot be said about enough!

- comfort of the middle row: family was able to sit though 8-10hours of straight drive with absolutely no strain or complains of body pain at the end; this was even after tackling the horrible road between Palakkad and Mangalore and then onward to Goa.

- with no sun film, the amount of heat, as and when the Sun did make his appearance, was high; curse of having so much of visibility all around.

- the cabin roof a/c has started making noise once again; recollect that it was changed under warranty for the same issue. Cooling is not an issue, fortunately.

- driver side window motor has started slowing down; what is the life time of these units? Can't they even last 3 years?!!!

- wiper speeds are not the best; you will have to keep fiddling with them with the change in intensity of the rain.

- the fuel indicator is such a story teller! It stays close to full mark till 350kms and then it drops like lead well past the half mark! The photo below shows the fuel indicator after travelling 600kms, a quarter tank left.

- the speedometer has an error of 10kmph through out; consistency in the error!

- sometimes you feel blessed when the vehicle decides to wash you feet with some cold water! Fortunately this never 'improved' to a full wash and was always a few drops.

- placing the second power point near the leg space of the passenger is absolutely a disaster recipe; worthless.

- was expecting a painful left legs due to clutch usage (13 months of driving an automatic does make one lazy); but that was not the case, surprisingly.

- the 100/130 headlights are doing a great job; never felt the need for extra light during the drive.

- the fog lamp had cracked and I ended up breaking it completely by tapping on the glass; seems to be a case of heated glass coming in contact with splashed water.

- got into the first "accident": there is a strip of sun film on the front wind shield; this caused a mis-judgement on my end when slowly down to let a bus get into my lane;scrapped the right panel with loss of paint! This happened on the way to Palakkad, which was the start of the journey. The TNSTC bus just kept going and so did I. Made me extra careful for the rest of the journey and touch wood, no more incidents.

- There seems to be a ABS sensor with an issue; ABS light used to come once in a while and go off during the next start.

- as for the drive - still a gem; pulls off like a loco even with the full load and bad road are never an issue. Was able to do good speeds and the best was between Hubli and Bangalore taking all of 4 hours to cover the distance.

- the brakes are pretty good and never felt uncomfortable with them at any point of time; had few instances of hard braking and the vehicle was very much in control

Couple of products tried out:
- Proklear windshield liquid: this is a rain guard product and it does a very good job of ensuring rain water beads down quickly. Would definitely recommend it.
- XADO engine oil additive: added this before start of drive from Chennai and my brother who is currently using it noticed the difference. The vehicle response was much better than before as per him.
- RaceChip Pro: fixed it and on testing the vehicle it was a beast; wheel spins even on second gear with brother almost stopping the tour even before it started! Did not want to get carried away during the tour hence it was removed, packed and stored away.

There were times over the year when I had contemplated if selling off the vehicle made sense since it was being sparingly used, but all that has been knocked right off after this drive. This one is for keeps.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-img_1908.jpg

The scratch from the accident:
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-img_1909.jpg

The broken fog lamp:
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-img_1910.jpg

The interiors are still holding out good. The steering has worn off. I had not replaced the steering under warranty, even though the SA at Concord had offered to, when wear signs were noticed initially. Can always get it covered.
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-img_1911.jpg

Gear cover holding out well; This one is prone to tear on usage. Not much noticed.
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-img_1912.jpg

The odo reading before the trip from Trichy to Chennai; add another 350 kms to the final count.
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-img_1913.jpg

Last edited by HappyWheels : 3rd September 2012 at 23:51.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:48   #455
BANNED

Quote:
Getting into the vehicle and the first thing that hits you is the space available - tons of it.
So you are in love all over again. Nice. The Safari is just flawless with its ergonomics, space and comfort.
The others things are, well, not upto the mark.

I still remember that parking where I parked your vehicle before you left for Dubai and had that wonderful stew cooked by your mom. Bliss.
Old 4th September 2012, 20:58   #456
Senior - BHPian

Again, you come and run back and not a peep, anyway, nice check of the red beauty, like Dev said above, this is a long lasting love affair (both distance and time).
Sad to see the damage on an otherwise superb looking vehicle, one other thing I notice is that the front right wheel is wearing out unevenly, did you notice it too, the inner portion is worn more than the outer.
I had the same problem in my vehicle, now my spare is half bald, I attended to it too late, the solution is to get the shims adjusted, in my case the shims were completely removed and now the uneven wear is not happening.
Old 4th September 2012, 21:24   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
So you are in love all over again. Nice. The Safari is just flawless with its ergonomics, space and comfort.
The others things are, well, not upto the mark.

I still remember that parking where I parked your vehicle before you left for Dubai and had that wonderful stew cooked by your mom. Bliss.
Yes Dev; that was one heck of a plan and drive that we did!

I followed your meet thread which mentioned being in Goa around the same time; looks like it did not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Again, you come and run back and not a peep, anyway, nice check of the red beauty, like Dev said above, this is a long lasting love affair (both distance and time).
Sad to see the damage on an otherwise superb looking vehicle, one other thing I notice is that the front right wheel is wearing out unevenly, did you notice it too, the inner portion is worn more than the outer.
I had the same problem in my vehicle, now my spare is half bald, I attended to it too late, the solution is to get the shims adjusted, in my case the shims were completely removed and now the uneven wear is not happening.
Worthless, but once again, apologies Hari! With just 2 days at Bangalore, had to give a miss to many.

Thanks for pointing out the tyre wear; honestly, missed to notice it. Will have it checked ASAP.
Old 4th September 2012, 21:32   #458
BANNED

Quote:
I followed your meet thread which mentioned being in Goa around the same time; looks like it did not happen.
Oh it did happen. Priti and I drove down to Goa as per plan, stayed there for 5 days from the 14th to the 20th of August, met Siddesh from TBHP, had lunch at his place, did some minor offroading at Zoo Zoo Hill and had a whale of a time there.

The others did not turn up or even respond to the thread surprisingly, but it was still a meet, with Siddesh and a lovely long weekend.
Old 4th September 2012, 21:41   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...5 days from the 14th to the 20th of August...

Was there in Goa between 13th to 17th!!! Although it was a complete rest at the hotel, would have been great if we could have met. Bad on my part to not have at least PM'd you.

Anyway, let me read you meet report. If not yet put up, please do.
Old 24th August 2013, 21:14   #460
Senior - BHPian

Coming close to a year from the last post, so here are the updates:

The Safari has now done 59,000 kms. Did a drive from (which now seems to becoming a regular affair) from Chennai to Trichy and then a day run to Palakkad, while in Trichy. And then the return run back to Chennai for the flight back. All this in 5 days while I was in the country.

Few points to highlight:

Mileage: The run from Chennai to Trichy was a high speed one driven by my brother. We kept doing 120-130kmph wherever possible and it was possible in most of the stretches. Refueling brought up the following figures: 33.73 liters for 351.2 kms, which translates to 10.41kmpl. Bad and got me worried if the previous mileages that I achieved is a thing of the past.

Subsequently, the day run to Palakkad was done, where I kept within 100-110 kmph on empty stretches. Primary concern was the heavy rain and next was trying to enjoy the drive. There was no point in rushing through when driving solo without any deadline looming. Refueling brought up: 38.86 liters for 586.1 kms, which translates to a healthy 15.08 kmpl. Smile back on my face.

Handling: Had been following the thread where discussion was on a SUV's character when made to do a sudden track change maneuver - well, here is the first hand experience.

Drive back to Chennai was at off peak hours (started from Trichy at 8pm; this ensures that there are no travels buses at the toll booths and you get lesser traffic towards Chennai).

Was behind a Figo which was being driven sanely at 90kmph on the fast track. Kept behind it for sometime due to traffic on slow track. Once we cleared the traffic, the Figo kept going on fast track. I move to the left track and start overtaking. No sudden rush, I was at 100kmph and slowly inching ahead. The next things I know I see if just next to my front right fender. Cut the steering to the left and both were moving parallel to each other across to the left. He corrected himself and ended up in the 3rd lane (from the median) and me with two wheels on the dirt and two just on the tar. There as absolutely no swinging or movement where it felt I was not in control (but honestly, I am now not sure what happened between the time I noticed the car inches away from my vehicle till I got all 4 wheels back on tar). So yes, provided you are on sane speed, sudden maneuver is doable.

Comfort: Not much to say here; minimal fatigue even when driving for long hours on our beaten up roads.

Service: The vehicle was serviced at VST Chennai, except the last one at 55k kms, where it was done at TAFE. Bunch of jokers with no idea of what their work is.

One of the horns was not working and their analysis was to change the horns (which comes as a set(!!!)). Opened the grill and found that it was a case of loose contact. Plugged it back in and all back to normal.

Also noticed that they had broken one of the holder of the grill when they had removed it for checking the horn.

The winding cable on the passenger window broke some time back. TAFE had removed the door panel to check this and fixing it back was done so badly that is was misaligned and rattled all along. Fortunately, all screws and covers were there.

I had removed the panel on the front, which houses the wiper spray nozzles, and cleaned the dry leaves, twigs (and also a frogs skeleton) accumulated below it. This seems to be a favorite for these dirt's to accumulate. Please do clean them periodically.

Engaged the 4x4 (H & L) and drove around a bit. Still works as intended. And still, I do not get any audible sound when the differentials gets unlocked.

This is how he looks now; same as always.

After a wipe down with Meguire spray.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-1.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-2.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-3.jpg

The scratch you see in the photo above was caused by a vandal at Chennai. The person made a line around the vehicle! Fortunately not too deep.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-4.jpg

The interiors:

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-5.jpg

The photo below was supposed to be the "before" photo; not sure how good it is serving the purpose since the sunlight plays foul. To give you a perspective of how bad - 3 years of abuse by kids and the service people. The first year, I used to clean the panel with a damp cloth. But this time it was ArmorAll Multi-purpose cleaner and 3 hours of effort.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-6.jpg

The result:

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-7.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-8.jpg

The back door was the worst of the lot, but fortunately, they were all taken care by some hard scrubbing.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-9.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-10.jpg

ArmorAll was able to remove the dirt accumulated on the foot steps as well.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-11.jpg

The same treatement was done to the interiors, which were, the a/c unit, the side panels (which houses the seat belt), the panels in the boot and especially the dash and the storage pockets between the front seats. Missed to take photos of them!

The engine bay: Notice the jugaard done for the wiper tank cover. Some where along the line, the cover was lost and it seems it costs 800 Rs for the set (since the tank and cover are sold as a unit). Even then, not in stock in Chennai. So, this is what I ended up with.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-12.jpg

Below photos shows the corrosion caused on the holder by battery leakage. Am still running on the original battery and wasn't surprised that it was leaking. Cleaned it up and placed a rubber (cut off from a discarded inner tube). This can be seen in the photo above.

The battery as such is holding out well. Still starts the vehicle on half crank. I am sure it might give up any time without notice.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-13.jpg

QUESTION: Can someone please tell me how to clean this blackening?

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-15.jpg

QUESTION: Do you guys think this scratch is removable with polishing? Apart from this, there are also patches caused on the hood by bird poop being left on for long! :(

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-16.jpg

The odometer, as it stood on 25th July.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-14.jpg
HappyWheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 10:35   #461
Senior - BHPian

Hey Suresh, it's been a long time since you posted, the Safari looks good as usual. Sad to see the scratches on an otherwise impeccably maintained car. They look too deep to be "rubbed" off.
The blackening of the Safari monogram is again a case where the chrome is gone, just replace it with another monogram which is easily available. The steering too is peeling, and the red mats look bling as always.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 12:12   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
... Sad to see the scratches on an otherwise impeccably maintained car. They look too deep to be "rubbed" off.
The blackening of the Safari monogram is again a case where the chrome is gone, just replace it with another monogram which is easily available. The steering too is peeling, and the red mats look bling as always.

Thanks, Hari. True, the color is holding up well.

Reckon I will leave the scratches as is, though not sure how much it might affect the surrounding areas. Maybe it is time to get a professional detailing done.

As for the monogram, will get them. Will also have to replace the 2.2VTT monogram on the right fender. Currently only '2.2V' is there.

How are your monograms holding out? (Am wondering if the Chennai wind is the cause of this 'blackening')

Steering will be given a wrap around.

Red mat is becoming a risk. For some reason found them to be getting all wound up behind the pedals. This did not happen before; not sure if I am the cause. Will be putting in a line of velcro to keep them in place.
Old 26th August 2013, 16:41   #463
BANNED

Quote:
Coming close to a year from the last post, so here are the updates:
Nice to get an update on the truck after a long time and nicer to know that he is holding up well.

Yup, I agree with Hari here. That scratch is too deep and will have to be painted over to hide it.

Have any other plastics in the cabin broken apart from the ac vent that broke earlier? Any rattles that you could hear while driving over broken roads apart from the standard front passenger seat?

Coming to the blackening of the monogram, it is not a case of the chrome being worn out but the usage of hard water when washing the vehicle. Hariya's monograms had blackened when I was at Noida in 2011 and I had them cleaned with that famous fridge and glass cleaner (I forget the name now) and they have been back to normal ever since.

Last edited by n.devdath : 26th August 2013 at 16:43.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 16:53   #464
BHPian

Congrats HappyWheels, though it is good 4 years late.

By the way, the Mineral Red looks fabulous. Sorry that the color is discontinued post the fire in Tata Aurangabad paint factory. Or is the color still available on demand?
BeingCynical is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 18:34   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice to get an update on the truck after a long time and nicer to know that he is holding up well.

Yup, I agree with Hari here. That scratch is too deep and will have to be painted over to hide it.

Have any other plastics in the cabin broken apart from the ac vent that broke earlier? Any rattles that you could hear while driving over broken roads apart from the standard front passenger seat?

Coming to the blackening of the monogram, it is not a case of the chrome being worn out but the usage of hard water when washing the vehicle. Hariya's monograms had blackened when I was at Noida in 2011 and I had them cleaned with that famous fridge and glass cleaner (I forget the name now) and they have been back to normal ever since.
Thanks Dev. Painting over will definitely (me think) not give the finish currently present.

Got reminded of the mess I did on the front bumper when I used that Com-paint to take care of paint chipping.

Broken plastics:
- the left passenger a/c blower: courtesy of TAFE when they removed the panel!
- the center light console (new the IRVM) has a hair-line crack. Not sure how it got there.

Apart from these two, the rest of the plastics are holding out well. The squeaking of the passenger seat has, fortunately, go away (touch wood it remains so).

Monogram - true; Trichy has some really bad hard water. Are you referring to Colin window cleaner? If so, let me try, else, replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Congrats HappyWheels, though it is good 4 years late.

By the way, the Mineral Red looks fabulous. Sorry that the color is discontinued post the fire in Tata Aurangabad paint factory. Or is the color still available on demand?
Thanks BeingCynical!

I believe the color is not being offered anymore. Can I claim exclusivity?

Most Viewed