Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 09:50   #136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
As a result the rear left door has a nice big white mark on it which cannot be removed.

Mostly it looks like the door needs to be repainted.
Did you try with a little diesel? It could work as a solvent to get rid of the mark. Rudra could help more, i guess.
Old 17th December 2009, 09:51   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh one more thing I forgot to mention. Car was parked in my basement and there was a minor leak in the ceiling.

As a result the rear left door has a nice big white mark on it which cannot be removed.

Hey thats sad Viduth. What is the bill going to be like ? Same as Southern ?
I remember they gave me an estimate of 65 K for red paint on the Lancer.
Time to change the Avatar picture ? Get the Altis beside the older Jap.
Old 17th December 2009, 20:32   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Last week was the first highway trip for the Altis.

I got a mileage of 14.23kmpl to and fro.

As expected no issues with the car. It's clinically perfect and just works the same way day in and day out.
Vid6639, 14.23 kmpl is just the beginning. I managed to squeeze 16.3 out of my car on a long distance run with the A/C on and speeds between 100 and 130 kmph. My car runs on Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 and the new Denso Iridium Tough plugs that Toyota now offers. Got this done at the 2nd service. BTW Toyota's introduced a synth oil of its own in case you are interested.

The Altis is amazingly frugal with fuel. She's no road burner but a reliable comfortable long distance cruiser.

Regards,
Old 18th December 2009, 20:15   #139
oss
BHPian

That's a good milege for a mid-sizer. What is in-city milege you are getting?
Old 18th December 2009, 20:37   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Stop go traffic it is about 10.5-11, slightly better conditions between 11.5 and 12, with the AC switched on.

Mind you I drive sensibly without jackrabbit starts and always anticipate stops. Of course I do open the throttle given the right road conditions.

Cheers!
Old 18th December 2009, 21:05   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Did you try with a little diesel? It could work as a solvent to get rid of the mark. Rudra could help more, i guess.
I tried diesel, I tried lemon, I tried rubbing compound, everything. Rudra and Jaggu have seen it. Says no chance it will go easily. Need repainting or a visit to Sai colorium. Condor also suggested someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Hey thats sad Viduth. What is the bill going to be like ? Same as Southern ?
I remember they gave me an estimate of 65 K for red paint on the Lancer.
Time to change the Avatar picture ? Get the Altis beside the older Jap.
Bill no idea. Lets see how much of a hole it will burn in the pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Vid6639, 14.23 kmpl is just the beginning. I managed to squeeze 16.3 out of my car on a long distance run with the A/C on and speeds between 100 and 130 kmph. My car runs on Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 and the new Denso Iridium Tough plugs that Toyota now offers. Got this done at the 2nd service. BTW Toyota's introduced a synth oil of its own in case you are interested.

The Altis is amazingly frugal with fuel. She's no road burner but a reliable comfortable long distance cruiser.

Regards,
Thanks R2D2 for that useful info. If i recollect the Altis comes stock with iridium plugs. A set of plugs cost around 2K.

Synth oil at 10K for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
City I get 9.5-10kmpl. The car goes through very bad traffic. To give you an idea of the traffic, my dad's office is 13kms from home. On an average it takes him 50mins to 1hour to commute.
Old 18th December 2009, 21:13   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention. Car was parked in my basement and there was a minor leak in the ceiling.

No I do not think so, my new ANHC had a similar experience when parked in the office basement
but Honda service station removed it during the first service. It was done
w/o any painting. When asked they told me they rubbed it with some cleaning solution, They did not charge me any in the bill as well.

You may check with Toyota service station
Old 18th December 2009, 21:24   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks R2D2 for that useful info. If i recollect the Altis comes stock with iridium plugs. A set of plugs cost around 2K.

Synth oil at 10K for sure.
The car comes with Denso K16R-U11 plugs as standard. Iridium is OEM in the USA.

The Iridiums (Denso Iridium Tough VK16) cost about Rs 850/plug. They last for 100K kms compared with the 40K for the standard plugs. I also have a set of NGK Iridium IXs to try out.

Did you get the engine oil changed after you finished running the car in @ 1k kms. Highly recommended.

BTW, I changed over to synth at about 4800 kms...that's sufficient running on mineral. Toyota has no min running specs for changing over to synthetic. So dont bother waiting for the 10K mark unless you're been really spooked by what you've read on the net.

Cheers!
Old 18th December 2009, 21:55   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Did you get the engine oil changed after you finished running the car in @ 1k kms. Highly recommended.
I asked why they don't change the oil at 1000kms and even asked Toyota directly.

The response I got was satisfactory so I decided to stick with the recommendation.

Toyota said that all cars that leave the plant are run on a set of rollers at varying rpm's for a few hundred kms. After that the oil is drained and fresh oil poured in and car is ready for delivery.

That is why at 1000kms they don't need to change the oil as all the metal flakes would have been flushed out at the plant itself.

I remember seeing a board at the service centre about iridium plugs. Thanks for the serial number of the plug.
Old 19th December 2009, 00:12   #145
BHPian

No issue with printed antenna

Quote:
Something very interesting which I would like to hear from other car owners that have the same feature.

The Altis has a printed antenna for the radio on the rear windshield. The printed antenna is 2 vertical strips in the middle.

The horizontal strips are for the rear demister.

So your listening to the radio and it's raining causing the rear glass to fog up. You turn on the rear demister only to realise that the demister is ON but the radio is gone. All you hear is static noise.

Most of the high end cars now come with printed antennas. Do all cars with printed antenna have this issue.
Hi,

I have an '06 Corolla with the printed antenna on the rear windscreen. FM as well as front and rer demister are typically on whenever it rains. I have always found the FM to be crystal clear in reception even when it rains. Have it checked out if you don not feel it that way.

thanks
Old 19th December 2009, 09:37   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Toyota said that all cars that leave the plant are run on a set of rollers at varying rpm's for a few hundred kms. After that the oil is drained and fresh oil poured in and car is ready for delivery.
That's a satisfactory response from Toyota and guess it would save all new Altis owners some cash. :-) Also, I noticed the factory fill oil was golden in colour while the replacement mineral oil (Idemitsu Toyota GMO 15w-40) is blue.

Regards,
Old 29th December 2009, 02:31   #147
Senior - BHPian

VId, does the dealer offer the F/R lower spoiler from the Sport model ?
That will really help enhance the looks

Quote:
The car comes with Denso K16R-U11 plugs as standard. Iridium is OEM in the USA.

The Iridiums (Denso Iridium Tough VK16) cost about Rs 850/plug. They last for 100K kms compared with the 40K for the standard plugs. I also have a set of NGK Iridium IXs to try out.
doesnt the US Corolla come with a different engine.
Old 29th December 2009, 17:41   #148
Senior - BHPian

Vid

I've been busy with so many things of late. change of job. change of house. luckily no change in car yet. congratulations on your buying the altis, a car that I too like simply because I love the camry looks which have been inherited slightly including the rear brake lights.

i went through all your experiences with the car, and observed you've been through good and slightly bad times with your car. overall I am already reading a lots of positives about toyota. I am beginning to think if 2010 will undoubtedly be the year of toyota. only time will tell.

I am longing for a toyota, except that i have to be sane to invest my money for a longer term of use. whatever I buy next, the swift will remain and at the same time, the next car is something that should provide me with atleast 10 yrs or more of hassle free driving. the fortuner looks juicy but my pay packet isnt as much

that leaves the corolla and innova for me at the moment. did you check out the automatic altis? i think you would be managing 10kmpl in city with your current car?

enjoy your driving!
Old 29th December 2009, 19:09   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
doesnt the US Corolla come with a different engine.
The USDM 10th gen Corolla uses the 2ZR-FE engine with IR plugs. The Asian Corollas, a.k.a. the Altis, have continued with the 1ZZ-FE engines (with a few exceptions) with a tweaked/re-mapped ECU and gearbox.

The older 9G model in the US also came with Denso or NGK iridium long life plugs that were good for up to 120K miles.

Rgds,
Old 29th December 2009, 22:42   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
VId, does the dealer offer the F/R lower spoiler from the Sport model ?
That will really help enhance the looks
Yeah I need to see if the front bumper add on skirts are available. But I am not too much a fan of the rear skirt as it makes the rear look a little too bulky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
i went through all your experiences with the car, and observed you've been through good and slightly bad times with your car. overall I am already reading a lots of positives about toyota. I am beginning to think if 2010 will undoubtedly be the year of toyota. only time will tell.

Did you check out the automatic altis? i think you would be managing 10kmpl in city with your current car?

enjoy your driving!
Yeah initially I had apprehensions about the car as the Lancer was a driver oriented car whereas this car was more focused on passenger comfort. After a while you begin to realize the advantage of a practical car on our roads.

I am getting 10kmpl pretty regularly in traffic.

Most Viewed