Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2017, 14:00   #271
Team-BHP Support

re: 2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Could the headlight assembly be availble in the after market? I bought a tail light for my Civic from the spares shop for 1850. Same would have cost me min 4k at Honda.

30k for a headlight is insane. Shows Toyota is no better than Honda when it comes to spare parts pricing. Terrible mark up by both Japanese giants.
I didn't check aftermarket but I doubt it will be OEM Toyota. It might be made as per OEM spec but not same as OEM.

Also mine is the xenon version so chances are lesser since it's rare. The non xenon model assembly is used for most cabs and I know that is available aftermarket.
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:05   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Front suspension has a dust seal on top of the strut that had worn out. This was replaced. - Rs.300 for both sides. This has completely fixed the suspension rattle. I was thinking that suspension arm bushes were the issue and asked to change the bushes but it looks like it was this part that was causing the rattling.
Is this dust seal in the wheel well or is it on the top of the strut where it is mounted just under the bonnet? My car, a 2008 Altis GL, has a very slight rattle in the front right wheel when going over bumps or rough surfaces. It goes away when alignment is done but reappears after a while. Wonder if it is due to a dust seal.

Quote:
• The rear brake pads are 8K for a set of 4 from Toyota. What is shocking is Bosch sells compatible rear brake pads for the Altis for Rs.1,000!!! http://www.amazon.in/Bosch-F002H2384...=AT95IG9ONZD7S
The rear pads on my car are made by Bosch & the front set a Toyota make which I think are re-badged Denso parts. I am surprised to see the Bosch selling for just 1K on Amazon! I was quoted 7K (excl. tax) for the rear pads by the dealer here but he advised me not to replace it just yet as there was about 5 mm of friction material left which he said would last me about 5-10K kms i.e. one more year. I really appreciate the local Toyota dealer who does not suggest part replacements unless necessary.

BTW, Brembo pads are also available but at about 4.8K a pair for the rear and 5K for the front.

http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...+corolla+altis

Quote:
Then there's the xenon bulbs. The RHS HID bulb conked off and I got a shock when I found it was Rs.13,000 for just the bulb!
WOW! I knew the headlamp assembly was expensive but 13K for a HID bulb is ridiculous. Best to buy it from other sources.

Quote:
• Also changed the parking lamps to LED for aesthetics:
I installed Philips LEDs bulbs in the parking/pilot, courtesy lamp & front map reading lights a few years back when i did my ICE upgrade. Happy to say they're all working well.

Quote:
One of the horns was also intermittent. I changed this myself to Hella windtone (Skoda type) horn.
Is this a plug and play install? Did you have to change the spade lugs/connectors? And did you use the stock relay or the one provided (if provided) by Hella?

Quote:
I keep dabbling with the thought of changing the car cause what we need is a small beater AT hatch rather than a luxury sedan like the corolla. But this car runs fine doesn't really burn a hole in the pocket in maintenance and will fetch very low resale. IT's pointless letting this car got for what it's worth.
I have been planning to upgrade to a German Big 3 but the sheer peace of mind afforded by 2 Corollas over 11 years makes me wonder if I should. I am spoilt. Even if I do upgrade I'll probably retain this car. It's heck of a lot more reliable than those temperamental Germans. If I plan to drive to Kashmir or the North East you know which one I'd pick with my eyes closed.
Old 3rd March 2017, 18:14   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Is this dust seal in the wheel well or is it on the top of the strut where it is mounted just under the bonnet? My car, a 2008 Altis GL, has a very slight rattle in the front right wheel when going over bumps or rough surfaces. It goes away when alignment is done but reappears after a while. Wonder if it is due to a dust seal.
It's on the top of the strut where it is mounted. Toyota Part #A-90303-22002.

Quote:
The rear pads on my car are made by Bosch & the front set a Toyota make which I think are re-badged Denso parts. I am surprised to see the Bosch selling for just 1K on Amazon! I was quoted 7K (excl. tax) for the rear pads by the dealer here but he advised me not to replace it just yet as there was about 5 mm of friction material left which he said would last me about 5-10K kms i.e. one more year. I really appreciate the local Toyota dealer who does not suggest part replacements unless necessary.

BTW, Brembo pads are also available but at about 4.8K a pair for the rear and 5K for the front.

http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...+corolla+altis
My rear pads are wearing out between 20-30K kms. This is the 3rd set in 70K kms.

Quote:
Is this a plug and play install? Did you have to change the spade lugs/connectors? And did you use the stock relay or the one provided (if provided) by Hella?
Plug and play, the stock horn has standard connectors made by roots india. Took me like 45mins but needs dexterity in that small gap between radiator and front grill.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 22:03   #274

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Welcome to the club. Take a look at my post on the same:

I replaced the bulb myself for the right side. Now the left one has also blown and I am ordering another one from USA.

Even though the D4R shows available on Philips India website they are not sold here. I have tried a lot.

The bulb can be replaced yourself but it is not at all easy. There is a high risk you break the old bulb when removing it or the new one when fitting it.

Since it was the first time I took more than 2 hours to change it as I wanted to be sure I don't break it. I also tried fitting back the old bulb safely before actually fitting the new bulb to make sure the new bulb doesnt break.

Left side I should be change under 30mins.
Thanks, Vid. I agree. It's atrocious to have to pay so much for one bulb! I'm told Osram also has D4R bulbs, at about 2,500-3,000.
Unfortunately, I'm not much of a DIY guy, and would want someone to do this for me.
It's a very trouble-free car otherwise. But when something does give way, they really milk you for that!

It's done about 68,000 kms odd so far. I guess it will be due for a clutch replacement in another 4-5,000 kms. I drive about 15-18,000 kms a year, so that should be due in another quarter. Any idea how much that will come to?
Old 4th April 2017, 22:09   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abindaya View Post
Thanks, Vid. I agree. It's atrocious to have to pay so much for one bulb! I'm told Osram also has D4R bulbs, at about 2,500-3,000.
Unfortunately, I'm not much of a DIY guy, and would want someone to do this for me.
Let me know if you manage to get the bulbs. Then I won't have to get them from US. Will get it from the same source. It's $50 on amazon.com.

Most accesssory shops will fit the bulb for you usually. It's simple for them. they might charge like a couple of hundred bucks.

Quote:
It's a very trouble-free car otherwise. But when something does give way, they really milk you for that!
hahaha. tell me about it. Just read this thread to know more.

Quote:
It's done about 68,000 kms odd so far. I guess it will be due for a clutch replacement in another 4-5,000 kms. I drive about 15-18,000 kms a year, so that should be due in another quarter. Any idea how much that will come to?
Mine is similar at 69K kms. Clutch is heavy and on its' way out. Should be 5-10K kms max from the looks of it. Right now the clutch doesn't like early morning starts. It shudders initially till it warms up.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th April 2017 at 22:15.
Old 4th April 2017, 22:21   #276

Quote:
Mine is similar at 69K kms. Clutch is heavy and on its' way out. Should be 5-10K kms max from the looks of it. Right now the clutch doesn't like early morning starts. It shudders initially till it warms up.
Same for mine. There's a little shuddering and heaviness. Yes, looks like another 5,000 kms.
Old 5th April 2017, 21:53   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't intend to hijack your thread @Vid6639 but unlike the Honda Civic I don't believe the Corolla/Altis has a long term ownership thread as long running & detailed as yours, so I'll continue to post any maintenance updates here.

Minor parts purchase for the car - 2 clamps for the +ve and -ve battery posts. They were not really in a bad shape (I take care of them as I do the rest of the car) but had seen bits of corrosion. Heck at 8.5 years old I thought the car could do with a set of new clamps. They're 2.2K for the pair. Paid an advance at the Toyota ASC and I'm waiting for the parts to be back in stock.
Old 17th April 2017, 21:33   #278
BHPian

My Altis D battery is due for replacement. Any recommendations on brand & model ?
Old 17th April 2017, 21:51   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
My Altis D battery is due for replacement. Any recommendations on brand & model ?
Just get amaron. Check batterybhai.com or batterywale.com
Old 23rd April 2017, 06:53   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I just took the car to the service center and they replaced it with the recommended one. Since the previous one lasted 5 years, don't have a reason to doubt what they replace it with.
anupgangwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 22:53   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

You can now choose from 3 brands of batteries at the dealership.

Other than Exide, Toyota has now approved Tata Green and Amaron for aftersales fitment. They may even turn up as factory fitted parts.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 08:53   #282
BHPian

Any suggestions for a good tyre for Corolla Altis size 195/65/15. Now running on OEM BS ER300, done 38k. Happy with these OEMs.

Tyres in mind - Prices in Pune

1. Conti MC5 - 5400
2. Yoko Earth 1 - not yet checked
3. BS ER300 - 5800
4. GY Assurance Triplemax - 5200

How about Firestone FR500 ?

Any idea about good tyre dealer in PCMC area.
Old 24th April 2017, 10:13   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullikutty View Post
Any suggestions for a good tyre for Corolla Altis size 195/65/15. Now running on OEM BS ER300, done 38k. Happy with these OEMs. Any idea about good tyre dealer in PCMC area.
For the Altis, check the Michelin Primacy 3ST (my car is fitted with these tyres) the Yoko AVS DB and the BS ER300, in that order. Avoid the Firestone and GY.

My recommendation would be Lokmanya tyres on Karve Rd. Here's the thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...yres-pune.html
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 21:07   #284
BHPian

I am now a second owner of a 2009 Corolla Altis GL which has done 60000 kms. Beautiful car is the word I have to describe it. I like it more than my Civic except the steering. The practical ground clearance; Xenon lights; torque everything is so usable! Just finished to 80000 kms service which came up to Rs 8000 including full synthetic oil and spark plug replacement as default. I will hopefully put up a review soon.

For now I want to order few things from US so wanted to know in amazon.com when you are selecting the car trim what is the equivalent model for 2009 Altis GL in USA? I am looking for

1. Good set of Mats
2. Rear Parking Sensors
3. Replacement Bulbs / brake pad
4. Wiper Blades, 1 ORVM turn indicator, AC filter

Wanted to check what would be a good way to replace the wear on brake lever leather and the steering. Is there a manual online for this version of Toyota GL?

Also what is the range that it shows on a full tank of Petrol if auto stop is used?

Last edited by 0and1 : 21st June 2017 at 21:12.
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:39   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0and1 View Post
Just finished to 80000 kms service which came up to Rs 8000 including full synthetic oil and spark plug replacement as default. I will hopefully put up a review soon.
Did you opt for the Iridium plugs or the standard ones?

Quote:
For now I want to order few things from US so wanted to know in amazon.com when you are selecting the car trim what is the equivalent model for 2009 Altis GL in USA? I am looking for

1. Good set of Mats
2. Rear Parking Sensors
3. Replacement Bulbs / brake pad
4. Wiper Blades, 1 ORVM turn indicator, AC filter
Why aren't you buying these common accessories in India? Believe me, there's not much of cost advantage.

Quote:
Wanted to check what would be a good way to replace the wear on brake lever leather and the steering. Is there a manual online for this version of Toyota GL?
I assume you mean the parking brake and steering wheel. Best you opt for 3rd party products available at car accessory stores. Replacements from Toyota may be expensive.

Quote:
Also what is the range that it shows on a full tank of Petrol if auto stop is used?
Range depends on the mileage (which in turn depends on a variety of factors including your driving style, urban/highway traffic conditions, road speed, AC on/off, etc.) and the amount of fuel in the tank. So there's no hard and fast rule. A full tank (approx 55L) should give you a range of about 700-800 kms. However, it is not advisable to let the tank very run low on fuel (less than 20%) as it may damage the fuel pump which is an expensive part to replace. So assume you have only a range afforded by about 44-45 L. At a highway mileage of 14 kmpl you have a range of approx. 630-650 km.

With highway driving I get between 14.5-14.7 kmpl driving at speeds of 110-120 kmph with AC on. If you control road speed to between 80-90 kmph you will achieve much better mileage.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd June 2017 at 13:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks