Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 13:48   #121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshsar View Post
By the way Vid on the fuel efficiency front how accurate is the triptronic reading as against your check when your figures ( full tank to full tank ?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Vid,

What are its current mileage figures?
First tank lasted for 600kms on 48litres of fuel.

Second tank has done 350kms and the range shows 230kms more.

The onboard trip info is very close to the actual number for FE. Maybe off by 0.2kmpl.

The real time fuel indicator is very weird. shows 3.5kmpl sometimes even when at 2000rpm in 2nd gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
I read in this months overdrive that the Altis sport is available only in two colours
silver and grey
Vidyut your Altis is the sports trim right ???
I told you right. Mine is the GL as ravan said. I didn't want the fake sports version. You get lesser features with a body kit and nothing sporty about it. The GL top of the line variant is better value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
His is the GL variant.
Old 20th October 2009, 14:47   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The real time fuel indicator is very weird. shows 3.5kmpl sometimes even when at 2000rpm in 2nd gear.
Maybe that's normal-ish... try checking at same RPM (2000) but on 4th/5th gear it should go back up to expected levels... since you are travelling faster/more distance at same engine fuel burn rate...
Old 11th November 2009, 10:09   #123
Team-BHP Support

Something very interesting which I would like to hear from other car owners that have the same feature.

The Altis has a printed antenna for the radio on the rear windshield. The printed antenna is 2 vertical strips in the middle.

The horizontal strips are for the rear demister.

So your listening to the radio and it's raining causing the rear glass to fog up. You turn on the rear demister only to realise that the demister is ON but the radio is gone. All you hear is static noise.

Most of the high end cars now come with printed antennas. Do all cars with printed antenna have this issue.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:14   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the high end cars now come with printed antennas. Do all cars with printed antenna have this issue.
Never faced this issue in the Optra or SX4 and both have printed antennas.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:13   #125
Team-BHP Support

It should not happen. Looks like some issue with the antenna(some wiring disorder). Get it rectified. I am sure its not like this in other cars with demister.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:20   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the high end cars now come with printed antennas. Do all cars with
printed antenna have this issue.
Think Indica etc too have it now, Safari has.
Old 14th November 2009, 19:59   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Got the First service done last weekend. Took it to the accessory guy at Ravindu and got the Parking sensors fitted as well as the high security number plate.

Next and final accessory for the car is Llumar sunfilm.
Vid,

How does a HSRP help? Where can one get it done? I live in Bombay.
Also, let us know about your selection process for sunfilm.
Lastly, how helpful are the parking sensors, as after market fitment- is it VFM?

Regards
Old 15th November 2009, 10:03   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Vid,

How does a HSRP help? Where can one get it done? I live in Bombay.
Also, let us know about your selection process for sunfilm.
Lastly, how helpful are the parking sensors, as after market fitment- is it VFM?

Regards
HSRP does not help in any way. The plates are still not RTO certified but they are as per RTO guidelines. They look very good on the car since they are of high quality materials.

You can see the nearest car accessory shop or approach the only authorized dealers in Mumbai where they make it from here:

High Security Registration Anti Theft Smart Car Number Plates manufacturer India

Sunfilm, I wanted one that was not very dark, offered good heat rejection and was not metallic as well.

Finally opted for the Llumar Diamond series Steel 35 model. Completely changed the look of the car and works well. Bangalore weather has been very cool so no idea how effective the sunfilm is yet.

Parking sensors are a must with the Altis. Reversing is a breeze now and they work very well. A must have in my opinion. The one I picked up was from Red Soul and had a LCD display showing distance as well as audible voice reading out distance. Cost me Rs.4,500.
Old 15th November 2009, 17:28   #129
BANNED

Quote:
Steering wooden insert will get covered with a leather cover from G-sport shortly. The steering is already leather wrapped in the lower half but I'll have to see how to cover the top part.

The dash and door pads I found the dark grey ones but I can only get them on my next trip to US.
The black Altis looks much nicer than the other colors. I think you should leave the steering stock and not cover it with any leather etc. It will lose its finish. Just my opinion.
Old 15th November 2009, 19:43   #130
BHPian

Cool!

Quote:
Finally opted for the Llumar Diamond series Steel 35 model. Completely changed the look of the car and works well. Bangalore weather has been very cool so no idea how effective the sunfilm is yet.
Vid, where in Bangalore did you get these installed from and how much did the films + installation cost? Did you opt for front windshield too? I guess 35 is within RTO limits?

Quote:
Parking sensors are a must with the Altis. Reversing is a breeze now and they work very well. A must have in my opinion. The one I picked up was from Red Soul and had a LCD display showing distance as well as audible voice reading out distance. Cost me Rs.4,500.
Where is your display located in the car? Is it over the rear view mirror? If yes, how is the anti-glare mirror in Altis is affected? Again, where did you install this from? Thanks in advance for your responses!
Old 15th November 2009, 19:56   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
Vid, where in Bangalore did you get these installed from and how much did the films + installation cost? Did you opt for front windshield too? I guess 35 is within RTO limits?
I got it installed from Car Fancy/Auto Fusion in Koramangala. I've known him for a long time and he knows of T-BHP as well so helps.

He is an authorised installer for 3M and Llumar.

35% visible light transmittance (VLT) is not within RTO limits. They say 50% VLT for sides and 70% VLT for front is allowed I think.

I didn't go for the front windshield ones as my car is parked in basement most of the time and does not go out in afternoon periods much.

I had gone along with Rudra who put the same Llumar sunfilm on his Optra and he also went for 3M CR 70 i.e. crystalline series for the front. He is extremely happy with the sunfilm I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
Where is your display located in the car? Is it over the rear view mirror? If yes, how is the anti-glare mirror in Altis is affected? Again, where did you install this from? Thanks in advance for your responses!
Display is located in the left corner of the dash board near the A-pillar. It is a very small display and is hardly noticeable though the screen is big.

I went for this model and not the mirror one as the Altis has the auto anti-glare mirror. This was installed and purchased from Ravindu Toyota.
Old 16th November 2009, 15:29   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Something very interesting which I would like to hear from other car owners that have the same feature.

The Altis has a printed antenna for the radio on the rear windshield. The printed antenna is 2 vertical strips in the middle.

The horizontal strips are for the rear demister.

So your listening to the radio and it's raining causing the rear glass to fog up. You turn on the rear demister only to realise that the demister is ON but the radio is gone. All you hear is static noise.

Vid, I don't face such problem in my Altis, may be you should get it checked.

Quote:
The printed antenna is 2 vertical strips in the middle.
It also includes the horizontal lines at the top along with two vertical lines. The defogger starts where there is one single vertical line in the center. If your defogger works till the top pls get that checked too, then there sure is some wiring problem.
Old 16th December 2009, 14:40   #133
Team-BHP Support

Last week was the first highway trip for the Altis. Went to Chennai and back for US visa stamping for my sister. We decided to make it a full family trip.

I was not expecting much since the few drives to the airport left me a bit disappointed as the suspension was a bit too cosseting for my liking. The road feel was not there and the light steering didn't help matters. Below 100km/hr the car is a plain bore and it is difficult to stay awake.

When we did hit the open stretches after Hosur the car completely blew me away. The car was effortless and most of the time you would not realise that you had crossed 120km/hr till you glanced down at the speedo. The long travel suspension is absolutely fantastic on the highway. It does not transmit anything into the cabin and quietly absorbs huge undulations of the road.

The engine is super silent and the low rpm torque just makes overtaking the easiest job ever. No need to downshift and rev the pants off to overtake a slower car. I was comfortably able to maintain 100-120km/hr and never needed to downshift for any overtaking apart from the odd brake slamming for people who try to cross.

The car was so effortless that I hardly felt tired after the 5hour journey from my house to the hotel in T-Nagar. My dad and mom had the same thing to say. My dad used to complain about his knees paining after sitting in the Lancer for a long time. The Altis has a much higher seating position so you don't sit in the lotus position. My mom used to keep slapping me from the rear seat of the Lancer as the car would throw her up in the back seat when the road would suddenly dip and rise over an undulation. The hard lancer suspension meant you could feel every thing on the road and big dips would make the car jump rather than absorb. A huge contrast to the Chennai trip I did a few months ago. It was almost like the roads were relaid this time.

With the Lancer overtaking a Santro or Qualis/Innova was hard work. Downshift, rev the pants off and try to keep inching forward. In the Altis, just cruise past with a tickle on the gas pedal.

I got a mileage of 14.23kmpl to and fro. I got stuck monday morning in Chennai traffic from T-Nagar to Poonamallee taking close to 2 hours.

I'm beginning to really like this car and I now know it's positive traits. Initially I was a bit disappointed but now "I'm loving it".

As expected no issues with the car. It's clinically perfect and just works the same way day in and day out.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 16th December 2009 at 14:42.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2009, 18:26   #134
Senior - BHPian

I know you are not good at squeezing mileage from your car but You've achieved a great figures while cursing above 100 kmph with AC. Thats great.
Old 17th December 2009, 09:42   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I know you are not good at squeezing mileage from your car but You've achieved a great figures while cursing above 100 kmph with AC. Thats great.
Thanks Ramsagar. Actually I wasn't cursing anybody, just cruising. lol.

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention. Car was parked in my basement and there was a minor leak in the ceiling.

As a result the rear left door has a nice big white mark on it which cannot be removed.

Mostly it looks like the door needs to be repainted.

Most Viewed