Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 23:44   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Black Altis in the house. Woohoo!!! Update 10,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Lesson learnt Toyota parts are expensive. Never change even a small part without finding out the prices.
The co's seem to charge for the parts based on the utilization & effect. Price of item is not related to cost incurred by the company to manufacture it.

eg:
Chrome boot-lip for Ikon: 4k. And it is just a 2 feet long plastic/fibre type material.
Comparatively, the two side-skirts together cost me less than 2k.
Old 8th April 2011, 17:02   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Viddy, how is the car now? Did the polishing work on removing the swirl marks?

If you dont want the 195/65 R15, your only other option is 205/65 R15. Are you sure it wont foul with the wheel arches and things like that? You want to try the C drive in that size?
Old 15th April 2011, 14:13   #183
Team-BHP Support

Wow, talk about a boring car. Just a couple of replies to my updates. lol.

I gave the car to the new Ravindu service centre near K.R. Puram.

Review: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post2313126 (Ravindu Toyota - Somewhere after KR Puram - Experience)

Car is back home looking clean. Needs a lot of detailing though as it is heavily swirled. Moreover my driver has ran off so car is not in use at all.

The K&N filter works amazingly well in the Altis. I never need to rev above 2K rpm with the new found torque from the filter. FE is up past 10kmpl in city as well.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:47   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Finally have decided to give it to Sai Colorium. Sai Colorium guy claims that the toyota OE paint thickness is very less and he will give back the car in one day with a much better job.
Is this the guy in JP Nagar 1st Phase on the Sarakki main Road
Old 17th February 2012, 09:34   #185
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mica Black Altis in the house - 15,000kms report

Another year and another service.

21K kms and I am way overdue for the 20K service. Been very busy with work and dad is using the car regularly. I forgot about the service completely and was reminded a few weeks ago when I got to drive the car after a few weeks. The brakes were squeaking like crazy. Surprisingly Ravindu didn't call even once for a service reminder. Usually they call when approaching 12 months since last service which was in December.

Took the car yesterday to Ravindu in KR Puram after taking an appointment. Apart from regular service which involves oil change and wheel alignment I had the following problems:

- brake squealing under even light braking
- sudden rpm surges when clutch is released almost as if car is revving up on it's own.
- steering feeling disconnected when going over bad roads.

Got a call in the afternoon informing me that my rear pads were completely worn out and needed replacement. I was expecting this but was surprised to hear that the rears were worn whereas front ones were absolutely fine. 21K kms of city driving and rear pads getting worn out is silly. Spoke to a mechanic there who said it's normal as the rear are high wearing pads. That's also the reason you see huge brake dust accumulation on the rear alloys.

Have told them to go ahead and change the pads. Price for a new seat of rear pads is Rs.6K. Will be getting the car back today and update further with final service cost.
Old 17th February 2012, 10:09   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Have told them to go ahead and change the pads. Price for a new seat of rear pads is Rs.6K. Will be getting the car back today and update further with final service cost.
Quite a detailed ownership report but 6k for the brake pads? wow thats quite expensive, anyhow it was nice meeting you yesterday at 3M.
Old 17th February 2012, 10:10   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.sundaram View Post
Is this the guy in JP Nagar 1st Phase on the Sarakki main Road
Yes.

Quote:
21K kms ...
Edit title, pls
Old 17th February 2012, 12:06   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Quite a detailed ownership report but 6k for the brake pads? wow thats quite expensive, anyhow it was nice meeting you yesterday at 3M.
lol. yeah and yesterday I was mentioning that the service bills for 3 years were so reasonable. Murphy's law at work and I got a call today morning with the news of the rear pads. Talk about luck.

Total bill is Rs.8699. Breakup tomorrow once I go to collect the car.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:21   #189
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mica Black Altis - 21,000kms *update Pg. 13*

Service done and the car is back. Overall service experience was satisfactory.

Instead of collecting the car on Friday evening I opted to pick it up on Saturday morning. Told the SA not to wash the car on Friday and wash it once I was there on Saturday.

I had complained of excessive brake squeal and steering feeling a bit rattly when driven over bad roads. Rear brake pads were found to be the culprit for the squeal and the steering bracket/bushes required to be retorqued.

All issues were fixed and car was ready when I arrived. Took it for a trial and found that the rpm was dipping way too low (600rpm) on idle and causing the car to shudder. Car went back in and the throttle body was cleaned out with the TB cleaning spray. Problem went away. Strange. SA said fuel was low and some muck might have made it through. He said if the problem persists they would need to check the ignition coil packs or the injectors would need cleaning.

Total bill breakup is as follows:

Rear brake pads - Rs. 6,200
Engine oil - Rs. 1000
Oil filter - Rs. 380
Labour for brake pads removing/fitting - Rs. 360
Wheel alignment/balancing - Rs. 400
Windshield washer fluid - Rs. 80
Oil drain plug - Rs.40

Including taxes total was Rs.8,699

I wasn't too pleased that the brake pads especially the rear ones were worn out within 20K kms. The SA said the front set were absolutely fine.

The other thing I pointed out as feedback to them was they way they clean the car. What is good is that they have a no hands system in place for most of washing wash process. The car goes to underbody cleaning ramp which is cleaned using pressure wash. After that it goes to the wash area where it goes through a pressure shower machine. The drying was where I got an unpleasant shock. Since they receive complaints of car getting minute scratches due to dirty cloth used by washing boys they use Innova wiper blades on the body to wipe down the water. New blades but with the metal frame!!! Imagine if one guy were to hold it in the wrong angle the medal blade would cut straight through the paint and leave a deep scratch. I put this down in their feedback. I went and told the SA, you get products which wipe down the car using soft rubber or silicone. Please do not use wiper blades.

So that's another update for year I guess.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 11:51   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The drying was where I got an unpleasant shock. Since they receive complaints of car getting minute scratches due to dirty cloth used by washing boys they use Innova wiper blades on the body to wipe down the water. New blades but with the metal frame!!! Imagine if one guy were to hold it in the wrong angle the medal blade would cut straight through the paint and leave a deep scratch. I put this down in their feedback. I went and told the SA, you get products which wipe down the car using soft rubber or silicone. Please do not use wiper blades.

Wow first time i am hearing about wiper blades being used to wipe down water, I guess they should get a tie up with Jopasu for wiping clothes, infact all A.S.S should get proper clothes to wash and wipe the car.
Old 27th February 2012, 00:56   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Service done and the car is back. Overall service experience was satisfactory.

Hey, thanks so much for the information. Power of tbhp! I won't go into too much detail but we should be able to compare notes soon.

I've been wondering about the HID headlamps. Going by the pictures, they don't look HID; the color of the headlamp is actually closer to a bluish white than a yellow (4500K v. 6000+K). How is it a High Intensity Display? Or am I getting the concept itself wrong? I thought HID were primarily reserved for Xenons with projectors? How do the Halogens compare to Xenons in projectors?

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 27th February 2012 at 00:57. Reason: Added some info
Old 27th February 2012, 01:03   #192
BHPian

Have owned a Corolla and one point I am extremely happy about - The service costs. Most of the times they are lower than the service costs of my wifey's A star!
Old 27th February 2012, 14:53   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Hey, thanks so much for the information. Power of tbhp! I won't go into too much detail but we should be able to compare notes soon.

I've been wondering about the HID headlamps. Going by the pictures, they don't look HID; the color of the headlamp is actually closer to a bluish white than a yellow (4500K v. 6000+K). How is it a High Intensity Display? Or am I getting the concept itself wrong? I thought HID were primarily reserved for Xenons with projectors? How do the Halogens compare to Xenons in projectors?
HID = High Intensity Discharge. Xenon is the gas used for HID lamps and they are commonly referred to Xenon lamps.

HID and xenon are effectively the same. HID/Xenon can be of 2 types, a reflector based setup or projector lens setup. The Skoda's like Laura and Superb and other cars use a lens based setup. The Altis uses a reflector setup.

The Fortuner uses a projector lens but with a regular halogen bulb.

Overall the xenon/HId are superior to halogens but in terms of illumination setup the projector lens is more superior than the normal reflector type.

That said the Altis IMO has the best illumination. Low beam from the xenon's is wide and bright and halogen high beams are like daylight. The foglamps are a bit weak though and look out of place.

The low beam is nice bluish white but when the foglamp goes on it looks like a dim candle.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 17:14   #194
BHPian

Quote:
HID = High Intensity Discharge. Xenon is the gas used for HID lamps and they are commonly referred to Xenon lamps.

HID and xenon are effectively the same. HID/Xenon can be of 2 types, a reflector based setup or projector lens setup. The Skoda's like Laura and Superb and other cars use a lens based setup. The Altis uses a reflector setup.

The Fortuner uses a projector lens but with a regular halogen bulb.

Overall the xenon/HId are superior to halogens but in terms of illumination setup the projector lens is more superior than the normal reflector type.

That said the Altis IMO has the best illumination. Low beam from the xenon's is wide and bright and halogen high beams are like daylight. The foglamps are a bit weak though and look out of place.

The low beam is nice bluish white but when the foglamp goes on it looks like a dim candle.
Thanks for the clarification. and yes, my understanding is correct. However, i completely forgot about normal reflectors running Xenon's. Sorta fixated on HID=Xenons in a projector. And interesting information about the Fortuner; I did not know that.

Interesting that while retrofitting Xenons are not recommended in normal reflectors (read non-projector), Toyota designed reflectors to accommodate Xenons as stock. Glad to know that the main lamps work well; one major gripe I have with my Lancer.

Unfortunate that the fog lamps are not quite up to the job but honestly, the new Altis is so hyper loaded, inadequate fog lamps is just not even going to be a consideration. And one could uprate the bulbs if absolutely required.

Another question I had, does the Altis really have more space in the backseat area than a Lancer? Not comfort, not design, just space. I recently did Pune-Bbay in a Diesel Altis and thought it felt smaller. Not cramped, just smaller than the Lancer.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 27th February 2012 at 17:15.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:46   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post

Interesting that while retrofitting Xenons are not recommended in normal reflectors (read non-projector), Toyota designed reflectors to accommodate Xenons as stock. Glad to know that the main lamps work well; one major gripe I have with my Lancer.

Another question I had, does the Altis really have more space in the backseat area than a Lancer? Not comfort, not design, just space. I recently did Pune-Bbay in a Diesel Altis and thought it felt smaller. Not cramped, just smaller than the Lancer.
If you notice that, the reflector design is different for G variant vs GL variant. This is because the GL has the reflectors specifically designed to hold xenon bulbs.

The rear seat feels smaller because the underthigh i.e. seat bottom is shorter in length than the Lancers. The Lancer's had a long seat bottom making it feel spacious.

Else legroom and width is more than the Lancer especially since it has a flat floor with no hump in the middle.

Most Viewed