Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2018, 09:39   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Thanks for recommendation. My manual recommended 5w30 as I remember, thinking of trying this time
I am using Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP, as expected from Mobil 1 it's certainly good oil but having run my car for nearly 8-9 years on Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 there is a slight valve train clatter when the engine is hot but I guess that's normal given this is a less viscous oil.

However, the premium they charge for M1 ESP vs normal M1 5W-30 isn't really justified IMHO.

For the next oil change it is going to be either "standard" Mobil1 5W-30, Amsoil Signature 5W-30 (most likely) or even Motul X-cess 5W-40. The last 2 have very good feedback from car owners here and overseas.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 09:59   #317
BHPian

re: 2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I am using Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP, as expected from Mobil 1 it's certainly good oil but having run my car for nearly 8-9 years on Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 there is a slight valve train clatter when the engine is hot but I guess that's normal given this is a less viscous oil.

However, the premium they charge for M1 ESP vs normal M1 5W-30 isn't really justified IMHO.

For the next oil change it is going to be either "standard" Mobil1 5W-30, Amsoil Signature 5W-30 (most likely) or even Motul X-cess 5W-40. The last 2 have very good feedback from car owners here and overseas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Toyota Synthetic oil is good. I switched to Liqui Moly semi synth 5w30 oil this year from the OE mineral.

I have got the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 5 ltr oil at ~4900 change including shipping from flybhp.com, pretty good deal.

Will get it drained and re-filled tomorrow.

Also, one thing I noticed, as per manual if we are changing oil filter, engine oil of 4.2 ltr is to be filled. But as per my last 3 years service records, Nandi Toyota has filled only 4 ltr oil every time even when the oil filter was changed.

But in the service in 2014, Ravindu Toyota had filled exact 4.2 ltrs oil.

Is it ok to fill 4 ltrs when oil filter is changed, think that is what is happening in regular scenario, as they might be having 4 ltrs cans.

KK
Old 14th June 2018, 10:26   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Is it ok to fill 4 ltrs when oil filter is changed, think that is what is happening in regular scenario, as they might be having 4 ltrs cans.
It is 4.2 litres when you replace the filter and 4 litres without. The filter holds about 200 ml of oil.

I fill (actually the ASC does) 4 litres from the standard 4l can and I top off 200 ml later. But 200 ml short won't harm the engine. I'd rather there be 200 ml less than 200 ml extra if you know what I mean.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 09:26   #319
BHPian

Hi,

I own a pre-worshipped Nov 2009 Altis G petrol. I'm facing a problem with the engine RPM and clutch. On some days, the vehicle moves as I lift the foot off the clutch slowly and with 20% still pressed, the vehicle will start moving at 4-5 kmph and the RPM would be at 800-1000. This is comfortable in bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic.

However, in the past month, I see the RPM being steady at 600-700 range at idle against the 800-900 previously. If I observe for 5+ minutes at idle, I see the RPM going up to 900-1000 range, then with a gentle tuck sound, the RPM comes down to 650 or at times to even 400, then after 10-30 seconds, it goes up. The cycle repeats indefinitely.

Also when I slow down in traffic, say from 30kmph in 3rd-4th gear to the 1st gear because traffic is crawling, I see the RPM going down to 400-500 range and if I release the clutch even to 100%, the vehicle still doesn't move unless I give some accelerator input till RPM reaches 1200-1400 range. If I don't give accelerator input within 2 seconds of releasing clutch to 80%, the engine stalls and I have to crank again. This makes the drive painful and anxious since the RPM going down happens at some moments while it maintains 800+ RPM at other times. Another observation is that when the RPM goes to below 800, there's a gentle tuck sounds from the engine bay.

I gave it for a look in ASC and they did something like disconnecting and connecting the battery cables and restarted the engine 2-3 times. They called this a reset supported by most cars and the engine looked to be idling at close to 800 but then the behaviour came back in a couple of days.

Any thoughts or inputs would be welcome.
Old 12th October 2018, 18:05   #320
BHPian

An update, had the car serviced in Nandi Toyota, Whitefield. They said this is a normal phenomenon where the RPM swings a few 100 either side. I've grown used to this now, where I rev it a little in bumper to bumper < 10 kmph traffic during peak hours. I'm not stalling the vehicle anymore, but it still feels different compared to other cars, say Honda city. Guess corolla can't match an ivtec or other refined engines.

The SA said there's a passenger airbag inflator recalled which will be fixed for free. However, the bill given at the end of the service didn't have any mention of it. Is it the usual practice that warranty/recall related replacements don't find mention in the bill?
Old 12th October 2018, 19:21   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthikeyan View Post
An update, had the car serviced in Nandi Toyota, Whitefield. They said this is a normal phenomenon where the RPM swings a few 100 either side.
The default idling speed is about 800 +/- 50 RPM. You can get that changed if you want. As for the normal phenomenon claimed by the ASC, I can tell you it is quite the contrary in my car. The idling @ 700 RPM is rock stable once the engine is at normal operating temperature. With the AC on it goes to about 900 RPM. Once I let in the clutch gently in 1st gear the car moves ahead slowly without accelerator input on level roads.

Also, this Corolla Altis engine has way better low end torque than Honda's iVTEC engine in the Civic which needs to be revved to move. These cars are basically in-city commuter vehicles so higher low end torque is a definite advantage in the urban cycle.

If the idle RPM fluctuates frequently it points to a problem elsewhere, possibly ignition and/or fuel delivery. Also check for any vacuum pipe leaks. I assume spark plugs have been replaced if the car has done >40K kms.

If a reset didn't work have the ASC plug in an OBD scanner to ascertain the exact cause.

Quote:
The SA said there's a passenger airbag inflator recalled which will be fixed for free. However, the bill given at the end of the service didn't have any mention of it. Is it the usual practice that warranty/recall related replacements don't find mention in the bill?
They do mention it in the bill, the part no. is A-04006-66112 "inflator assy. kit". My car's passenger side inflator was replaced at Shodha Toyota in Hubli Karnataka in Jan this year. You may want to recheck with the service centre.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th October 2018 at 19:23.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 20:34   #322
BHPian

Quote:
The idling @ 700 RPM is rock stable once the engine is at normal operating temperature. With the AC on it goes to about 900 RPM. Once I let in the clutch gently in 1st gear the car moves ahead slowly without accelerator input on level roads.

If the idle RPM fluctuates frequently it points to a problem elsewhere, possibly ignition and/or fuel delivery. Also check for any vacuum pipe leaks.
I had the same experience previously, thanks for confirming the same. I had mostly highway drives and 4 lane ring roads when I had this consistent RPM experience.

However, my new office is about 10 KMs away from my residence, so it's 20KMs per day of traveling. However, it's very congested and I drive at 9kmph average speed according to the MID, it's mostly stop-start and bumper to bumper traffic. Could it be that the engine doesn't warm up enough and hence leads to the RPM fluctuation?

Quote:
Also, this Corolla Altis engine has way better low end torque than Honda's iVTEC engine in the Civic which needs to be revved to move. These cars are basically in-city commuter vehicles so higher low end torque is a definite advantage in the urban cycle.
Sorry, I wasn't clear . The ivtec feels and sounds good when revved, either at low speed or high speeds. I'm forced to rev to a max of 2-2.5K RPMs when starting from a standstill or at low speeds in moderate inclines or flyovers when up and downshifting due to the nature of the traffic. However, ivtecs sound more refined doing the same.

Quote:
They do mention it in the bill, the part no. is A-04006-66112 "inflator assy. kit".
Thanks again, will check with the service center.
Old 13th October 2018, 23:10   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could it be that the engine doesn't warm up enough and hence leads to the RPM fluctuation?
The engine warms up to operating temperature within 2-3 km of driving in city traffic. The thermostat valve sees to it. I hope this part has not been removed.

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear The ivtec feels and sounds good when revved, either at low speed or high speeds. I'm forced to rev to a max of 2-2.5K RPMs when starting from a standstill or at low speeds in moderate inclines or flyovers when up and downshifting due to the nature of the traffic. However, ivtecs sound more refined doing the same.
Toyota's 1ZZ-FE engine is a typical "buzzy" aluminium engine at >4000 RPM while Honda's iVTEC engine is more refined at those engine speeds. There's a trade off. I find whipping the engine and frequent gear changes a pain in city traffic. Higher torque at low engine speeds helps to keep the revs low which in turn offers better fuel efficiency. This is one of the reasons why diesel cars are so much easier to drive in city.

Quote:
Thanks again, will check with the service center.
You need to ask them to verify it by rechecking and providing you a bill/receipt with details including the part no. These documents and their stores records would be required as proof of installation to TKM possibly for reimbursement.
Old 15th October 2018, 09:09   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
An update, had the car serviced in Nandi Toyota, Whitefield. They said this is a normal phenomenon where the RPM swings a few 100 either side. I've grown used to this now, where I rev it a little in bumper to bumper < 10 kmph traffic during peak hours. I'm not stalling the vehicle anymore, but it still feels different compared to other cars, say Honda city. Guess corolla can't match an ivtec or other refined engines.
The clutch in traffic is not the smoothest to engage. The issue is the drive by wire, when you release the clutch the rpm falls and sometimes the ECU thinks engine will stall so it increases rpm on its own.

That said you might want to get the throttle body and MAF cleaned. Most likely in traffic these have carbon deposits causing the fluctuating idle rpm.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 21:12   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, so Goldie turned 10 on 9 Oct and since the SW monsoon has reversed its way out of peninsular India she was taken to my favourite car wash centre for a wash and wax. I also went to this place to work on my brakes back in June.

This time he used 3M wax. Meguiars as it was out of stock. Here is a pic. I will also upload a pic(s) of the post wax finish ASAP. I was so caught up helping those boys do a good job (some are green horns) that I forgot to take pics.

That's a red soft top Mini in the background. It came in for a ceramic coat.

PS - about the brakes. Despite my initial misgivings about using non OEM spares in a critical area I am happy to report performance of the aftermarket pads and rotors (Bosch + KBX rotors & Bosch pads) is IMO just as good as the OEM. Just make sure you bed in the brakes properly. Reasonable prices means one can just replace brake rotors instead of resurfacing them. This expense won't pinch the wallet as much. The next brake related work is to lube the pins with fresh OEM caliper pin grease. I think the front left caliper is sticking ever so slightly. I may have Toyota's ASC do it during the annual service in Dec.
Attached Thumbnails
2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years-goldie.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th October 2018 at 21:37. Reason: added PS
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 18:23   #326
Senior - BHPian

Does the Corolla come with an EPS or a hydraulic power steering ?
Old 24th January 2019, 20:11   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does the Corolla come with an EPS or a hydraulic power steering?
9G Corolla has HPS, 10G and later have EPS
Old 6th February 2019, 16:57   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Just about 2.5 months after the car turned 10 it was sent off to Shaw Toyota for her annual service on 28th Dec.

Labour incl. GST:

a) 100K kms inspection - Rs 2295

TKM services car like clockwork depending on age, not mileage whichever is first. My car is very low mileage has done a fraction of this but I have never spared any effort or expense to maintain her in top shape.

b) Coolant Flush - Rs 375

c) Wheel alignment - Rs 750

d) Caliper pin greasing - Nil, was done when the pads were removed for cleaning. Check out the blue/green grease used, not the pink glycol grease. Hope it doesn't mess with the rubber parts. But then I have to dealer's neck to catch if it does!!

Parts incl. GST:

a) Coolant - 5.7 litres Rs 1715
b) oil gasket Rs 58
c) Oil filter - Rs 670
d) Engine shroud clips - Rs 307

Total - Rs 6170 (rounded off)

Engine oil purchased offline - Amsoil Signature 5W-30. This is the best synthetic I have used, period. The engine is so eager to rev and valve train clatter has reduced considerably even when compared to the more well known Mobil 1 and SHU oils.

But it doesn't end here. I love my car! So had to get her first beauty treatment done. Given the reviews I read about Aqua Tint Studios in Pune I opted for the basic Insta Gloss package. And the photos speak for themselves. All photos prefixed "AQT" were taken at the studio. Am I happy? Bloody heck YEEEEEEEEES!!! Lallet one of the partners is a gem to deal with. And Tejas Ingle a T-BHPian himself is a partner too. Thanks, guys, you chaps are a boon to people like me. Goldie goes for a ceramic treatment in March. Hey, I gotta pamper my car right?

PS - the last 4 pics are at Aquatint's Kharadi Studio.
Attached Thumbnails
2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years-lifthoist.jpeg  

2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years-service-complete.jpeg  

2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years-after-final-wash.jpeg  

2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years-high-temp-grease.jpg  

2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years-aqt-steam-wash.jpg  

2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years-aqt-getting-ready.jpeg  

2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years-aqt-final-prep.jpeg  

2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years-aqt-view-top.jpeg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 6th February 2019 at 17:19. Reason: typos corrected
R2D2 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 20:17   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

One more addition that was omitted - the brakes were bled all over again, for the 3rd time in the past year. No charges for that service either. Guess it was included in the 100K inspection.

One of the techs (they assign 2 to a car to speed up turn around times) told me the front calipers had air bubbles. That kinda explains the improvement in brakes after the bleeding process. Holy Moly man..these inexpensive Bosch aftermarket pads and KBX + Bosch rotors are really earning their keep. I get scared of getting rear-ended and depress the brake pedal so gently in Pune's crazy traffic.

Last edited by R2D2 : 6th February 2019 at 20:25.
Old 18th March 2019, 09:31   #330
BHPian

This is little OT.
I am in the market for a Corolla Altis of 2008-2011 model. Have identified two vehicles.
1. 2008 1.8 V - 2nd Owner and ODO has clocked 81K kms. Asking Price is 4.25 L, I think I can negotiate it for 3.75 L.
2. 2009 1.8 G - 3rd Owner and ODO has clocked 37K Kms. Asking Price is 4 L, I think I can negotiate it for 3.5 L. Have test driven the vehicle. It was good but felt that clutch was little heavy.
My expected usage would be 30 %City and 70% Highways. What are the primary pain points to check. I intend to maintain the vehicle from Toyota ASC only.
Need the veterans advise on selecting one.
1. How good is the auto box in 1.8 V? Will it have any major replacement cost around 100K Kms?
2. Considering the usage, is 1.8 G is good for me?
3. What is the average FE in both the models in City / Highway?
4. My expected usage would be around 7-8K Kms / Year.
5. Is it advisable to look for a D4D G?

Last edited by vasanthjn : 18th March 2019 at 09:33. Reason: spelling

Most Viewed