Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:07   #286
BHPian

re: 2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Did you opt for the Iridium plugs or the standard ones?
I was not asked; Will call them up and check.

Quote:
Why aren't you buying these common accessories in India? Believe me, there's not much of cost advantage.
I read in this thread that the bulbs are 13000 for a piece? Is there a alternative in the third party market here in India?

Quote:
Range depends on the mileage (which in turn depends on a variety of factors including your driving style, urban/highway traffic conditions, road speed, AC on/off, etc.) and the amount of fuel in the tank. So there's no hard and fast rule. A full tank (approx 55L) should give you a range of about 700-800 kms. However, it is not advisable to let the tank very run low on fuel (less than 20%) as it may damage the fuel pump which is an expensive part to replace. So assume you have only a range afforded by about 44-45 L. At a highway mileage of 14 kmpl you have a range of approx. 630-650 km.

With highway driving I get between 14.5-14.7 kmpl driving at speeds of 110-120 kmph with AC on. If you control road speed to between 80-90 kmph you will achieve much better mileage.
My question was more like; when you go to a fuel station and say "Full Tank till Auto Cutoff". After that when you sit on the car in the dashboard what does the Range shows in the dashboard?

For me it shows as 400/450. The ARAI mileage as per Carwale is 9.8 kmpl

When yellow light indicator comes on and I go for a refuel; around 40 liters is what it takes till auto cut off for the fuel dispenser.

Last edited by 0and1 : 22nd June 2017 at 19:08.
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:41   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0and1 View Post
I was not asked; Will call them up and check.
Check the bill/invoice. It'll be mentioned there.

Quote:
I read in this thread that the bulbs are 13000 for a piece? Is there a alternative in the third party market here in India?
Buy one only when you need it. If possible from the US as they're cheaper there. They are pretty long lasting. Here's the Amazon India link. They'll import it from the US for you for about Rs 5K each.

http://www.amazon.in/Philips-Standar...ds=philips+D4R

Quote:
My question was more like; when you go to a fuel station and say "Full Tank till Auto Cutoff". After that when you sit on the car in the dashboard what does the Range shows in the dashboard?

For me it shows as 400/450. When yellow light indicator comes on and I go for a refuel; around 40 liters is what it takes till auto cut off for the fuel dispenser.
Carewale are probably mentioning mileage in city. I get about 10-11 kmpl. Your mileage improves considerably on the highway.

I would recommend you refuel when the fuel level indicator shows about 1/4th tank. Don't wait till the yellow lamp comes on. That is an indicator of only about 8 litres i.e. about 15% in the tank.
Old 9th July 2017, 12:45   #288
BHPian

Excellent Ownership review. I am actually looking for a beater car that will be used for office runs(<=10 kms a day). I'm confused between the 2007-08 Corolla and the 2008-09 Altis. Which would be a better option? I'm getting a few 2008 Altis around 3L but I'm worried about the maintenance costs of it as compared to the old Corolla (especially the brake pads). So if you can advice on which model should I pick(Corolla vs Altis), that would be really helpful
Old 9th July 2017, 16:04   #289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Excellent Ownership review. I am actually looking for a beater car that will be used for office runs(<=10 kms a day). I'm confused between the 2007-08 Corolla and the 2008-09 Altis. Which would be a better option? I'm getting a few 2008 Altis around 3L but I'm worried about the maintenance costs of it as compared to the old Corolla (especially the brake pads). So if you can advice on which model should I pick(Corolla vs Altis), that would be really helpful
Go for the Altis Nimit. 2008-2009. It's far superior in terms of features, better looking, easier to get parts vs the really old Corolla and the suspension is better.

If you get a GL it's fully loaded with leather seats, electric adjust drivers seat, HID xenons and a ton of other stuff. It gives most cars today a run for it's money in terms of features.
Old 12th July 2017, 13:35   #290
BHPian

Hi Vid6639,

I own a 2010 Altis (Petrol) and just got my 70K service done. The car has about 62,500 kms on the ODO.

I had complained about loud thuds while going over bumpy surfaces and the steering sometimes made noises when turned either side.

The SA advised changing the steering gear assembly and all four shock absorbers. Apart from this, the normal services charges + items were included in the bill. The final total came to around 86,100ish, including tax. I know Toyota parts are on the expensive side, but does this sound reasonable?

Thanks!
Old 12th July 2017, 13:57   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Hi Vid6639,

I own a 2010 Altis (Petrol) and just got my 70K service done. The car has about 62,500 kms on the ODO.

I had complained about loud thuds while going over bumpy surfaces and the steering sometimes made noises when turned either side.

The SA advised changing the steering gear assembly and all four shock absorbers. Apart from this, the normal services charges + items were included in the bill. The final total came to around 86,100ish, including tax. I know Toyota parts are on the expensive side, but does this sound reasonable?

Thanks!
I don't know if the amount is OK, without seeing all the items in the invoice, it cannot be commented if its reasonable or not.
As for the solution - that doesn't sound very reasonable. Sound from suspension = replace all shockers...Typical ASC arrogance. I wish I was a service adviser by profession. Its a very convenient and comfortable life. Make people spend their money simply on my own whims & take their cars on test rides. Not much effort required at work.
Old 13th July 2017, 12:21   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I don't know if the amount is OK, without seeing all the items in the invoice, it cannot be commented if its reasonable or not.
As for the solution - that doesn't sound very reasonable. Sound from suspension = replace all shockers...Typical ASC arrogance. I wish I was a service adviser by profession. Its a very convenient and comfortable life. Make people spend their money simply on my own whims & take their cars on test rides. Not much effort required at work.
Thanks for your reply! I can totally relate to what you are saying. I have come across service advisers with such an attitude before. However, it is a bit different in this case. I apologize for not providing enough details about my experience.

The SA test-drove the car along with my driver and only then did he inform me about what all required to be changed. Based on the limited knowledge I have on cars, I suspected that the sound being heard while driving were the shock absorbers on their last legs. The steering was a little clunky at times, but I didn't know what could be causing this.

I got the car back after all the work was carried out, and I must say that it drives like brand new now! All my issues were solved in a timely manner and I was kept informed throughout the process.

Yes, the parts are on the expensive side. But if I look at this in the right context, it is the ONLY time I have had to spend such an amount on my Altis since we got it new in 2010. All that being said, it is difficult to catch if certain parts need to be replaced or still have life in them. We go by the word of the SA. It is very easy for a cunning SA to change parts that still have life and charge the customer. We are to an extent, at their mercy.

I am mentioning below, the parts that were changed and their per unit prices (tax & labour not included). I haven't mentioned a few minor items which were replaced as per the scheduled service.
  • 1 x Cylinder Kit, RR DIS - Rs. 2,413.40
  • 1 x Element Sub-Assembly AI - Rs. 797.50
  • 1 x Gear Assembly, Steering - Rs. 30,822.00
  • 2 x Insulator, RR C/Spring - Rs. 418.00
  • 2 x Insulator, Coil Spring - Rs. 641.30
  • 2 x Bumper FR Spring - Rs. 444.40
  • 2 x Bumper RR Spring - Rs. 770.00
  • 2 x Absorber Assembly Shock - Rs. 4,727.80
  • 2 x Absorber Assembly Shock - Rs. 3,314.30
  • 2 x Bush, Stabilizer - Rs. 447.70
Cheers!

Last edited by fordfreak : 13th July 2017 at 12:25.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 12:32   #293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am mentioning below, the parts that were changed and their per unit prices (tax & labour not included). I haven't mentioned a few minor items which were replaced as per the scheduled service.
Cheers!
Prices look to be standard. I had got a similar quote as I have the exact same problem in my Altis done 73K kms.

The steering sound isn't too bad so I am opting out of the steering gear assembly which is 30K.

I was told to except 50K without the steering. Will be getting it done soon.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 14:51   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers!
Looking at these, the labour cost is also quite high it seems. But that's now a days pretty standard.

Its Toyota, so spares will be costly. A thousand bucks for rubber shrouds for the springs is a bit high.
Generally for these sounds, the shock absorber would have to be replaced. As such, the coil springs could have been retained perhaps. But generally nobody cares. They replace it.

Overall the suspension component costs seem OK.
Its the steering gear that has taken a the bulk of your bill. If it was something livable I'd not have replaced it simply to save some Vit M.

But you are happy with the result & loving the drive - that matters the most. So leave it behind now. Happy motoring!

EDIT - Didn't see that Vid6639 had already replied to it. Kind of a redundant reply from me. Had opened your post to reply long time ago & then got tied down in work. The page refreshed after I submitted my reply!

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th July 2017 at 14:54.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 16:36   #295
BHPian

Hi,

Sent my Altis to the dealer from some repairs yesterday and wanted to hear your thoughts on some of the questions I had.

Firstly - the LHS ORVM was slightly damaged and vibrated a lot when the car was moving. They apparently do not offer the child part (the bit which fixes the mirror to the door) for this and want to change the entire mirror assembly. Been quoted around Rs. 20,000 for the job. Does the price sound alright?

Secondly - the gear shifter has developed a lot of play. All the gears shifted and slotted in perfectly, but the shifter kept flopping around. The SA said the changing the assembly would probably reduce the play a little but other than that the play was within normal parameters. He quoted around Rs. 20,000 for changing the shifter assembly and said that this was not a necessary repair. I'm not certain how true this is.

Lastly - I had asked them to look into a very annoying rattling noise coming from the rear parcel shelf. They diagnosed it to be the speakers which were rattling. Today I got a phone call from the SA telling me that the speakers on my car are non-OEM (I have never changed the speakers since I got the car, new)!!

I told him that the only thing non-stock on my car were the headlamp bulbs. Other than that my car is entirely the same as it left the factory. Till date my speakers have worked fine and have never had any issues.

I am a little rattled about this, especially thinking about the possibility that someone has swapped out my stock speakers during a visit to the workshop?

All my services and mechanical repairs have been done at the authorized workshop. I have only visited a reputed independent garage for some denting/painting a couple of times. How do I even get around to proving this as my car has had a number of visits over the 7 years since I've owned it.

Could anyone advise me on how to identify if my speakers are OEM or not?

Apologies for the long post. (Mods, please delete/move this post to the relevant section if wrongly posted)
Old 9th January 2018, 18:51   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the LHS ORVM was slightly damaged and vibrated a lot when the car was moving. They apparently do not offer the child part (the bit which fixes the mirror to the door) for this and want to change the entire mirror assembly. Been quoted around Rs. 20,000 for the job. Does the price sound alright?
Assuming your car is the 10G Corolla the mirror assembly is listed for 20K on Boodmo so what the ASC is quoting is in believable. Yes they are expensive to replace. The inner glass/mirror can be purchased separately for about Rs 1300 on Boodmo

LHS OVRM

Quote:
the gear shifter has developed a lot of play. All the gears shifted and slotted in perfectly, but the shifter kept flopping around. The SA said the changing the assembly would probably reduce the play a little but other than that the play was within normal parameters. He quoted around Rs. 20,000 for changing the shifter assembly and said that this was not a necessary repair. I'm not certain how true this is.
Don't worry about it. As long as your gears shift smoothly without clashing it's all good. I personally don't think it is worth spending 20K on this part only because it wobbles a bit more than normal.

Quote:
I had asked them to look into a very annoying rattling noise coming from the rear parcel shelf. They diagnosed it to be the speakers which were rattling. Today I got a phone call from the SA telling me that the speakers on my car are non-OEM (I have never changed the speakers since I got the car, new)!!
The stock speakers are under the parcel shelf and in the front doors. They are pretty standard OEM twin driver paper cone speakers that you probably would pull a face at (ugh!) if you actually saw them. I saw them for the first time when I got my car's ICE done up in Jan '13.

They use small bolts/screws to fix them to the parcel shelf IIRC. Just take off the grilles from inside the car and tighten the fasteners. Take it to an audio accessory store for help. Or if you are a DIYer here's a video to help. Warning, it's a PITA to do yourself.

Some advice, when you leave your car with a FNG make sure you take stock of all parts. Some are known to steal OEM parts to sell elsewhere.

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th January 2018 at 18:53.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 13:12   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Assuming your car is the 10G Corolla the mirror assembly is listed for 20K on Boodmo so what the ASC is quoting is in believable. Yes they are expensive to replace.

Don't worry about it. As long as your gears shift smoothly without clashing it's all good. I personally don't think it is worth spending 20K on this part only because it wobbles a bit more than normal.

The stock speakers are under the parcel shelf and in the front doors.

Some advice, when you leave your car with a FNG make sure you take stock of all parts. Some are known to steal OEM parts to sell elsewhere.
Thank you for the detailed reply! Appreciate your help.

My Altis is indeed the 10th generation model. I have agreed to get the LHS ORVM assembly replaced, but have decided to let the gear shifter assembly be as is. I agree that it isn't worth the expense if the gears still shift properly.

As for the speakers, I'll take a look at it once I get my car back today. As long as they work properly, I won't complain. For all future workshop visits, I will be more vigilant for such issues.
Old 16th January 2018, 01:08   #298

Looking for an AT car, exploting Altis, any tips. I m a noob in used cars. But if i find something good, i want to explore. Does Nandi toyota guys also help with pre owned cars? Can you please guide / share leads. Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 11:41   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_vijay12 View Post
Looking for an AT car, exploting Altis, any tips. I m a noob in used cars. But if i find something good, i want to explore. Does Nandi toyota guys also help with pre owned cars? Can you please guide / share leads. Thanks
Go through this thread : how-buy-used-car-india

Toyota's are generally hardy vehicles and if they get regular maintenance you will not find an issue. Ask for a full service history. I do not recommend buying cars without this documentation especially automatics.

An update on my car: ASCs are light years ahead when it comes to maintaining your Toyota. I never go to FNGs except for very minor work. Toyota's labour charges are reasonable but spares can get expensive.

Pune's main dealership, DSK Toyota, and the guys who maintained my cars for well over a decade, shut down many months back and the current one is struggling with the workload and offers appointments 1.5 months later. I took my car to Shodha Toyota yesterday. They are in Hubli KA while I am visiting Dharwad. They did a great job, just ask good as DSK-T and I continue to marvel at the peace of mind offered by TKM's network compared to FNGs most of whom employ untrained labour and struggle to get spares!

PS - my car was treated to its biannual detailing session by the 3M blokes at the dealership. Will share some pics later

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th January 2018 at 11:59. Reason: Added info & PS
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 16:24   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

My car's passenger side air bag 'igniter', obviously a Takata, was replaced under warranty. TKM did not inform me but it came up in Shodha Toyota's vehicle detail screen when the car was given for the annual service.

I assume the driver side part is ok as there was no replacement required.

@vid6639, you may want to have your '09 car checked at the dealer.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks