Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 19:01   #61
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Vidyut

I am glad that we are reading this thread this year & not next year

Keep us updated on the ownership experience.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:07   #62
BHPian

Congratulations Vidyut.

I liked the thought process. And those one liners are enough (IMHO) to sum up what the cars that your test drove have to offer. You (and your dad) were able to appreciate everthing that a particular brand has to offer but still were able to keep away from giving to those emotional temptations.

Looking at the test drive list, only thing I wonder is why BMW is missing from that list?

Last edited by akbaree : 20th August 2009 at 19:08.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:17   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
This weekend is following additions:

- Tints llumar Steel 35 or 3M CS35.
- High security registration plate.
- black rubber foot mats.
- Red soul parking sensors.
The car has very good qualiity all round tinted glasses with a green band on the wind screen. They cut the heat very effectively. I have used the car in the horrible heat of North India for nearly 5 months now and have never felt the need of additional sunfilm. Additional tints will also spoil the natural tint of the glasses which look quite good.

I suggest that you drive the car for 1 more month and you will not feel the need for tints. If sunlight starts coming from sides, then just reduce the AC temp by 1 or 2*C and it does the trick.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
they might get me a black but I could not cancel the booking after that. I agreed. The black took ages. TKM just didn't assemble one.
Congrats Vid. Black Altis looks majestic

Absence of black Altis was another factor, I sided with Safari when I was in the market for a new car in late 08/early 09. I think it is about time TKM produces more of these beauties in black.

Cheers,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 20th August 2009 at 19:47.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!!

Great choice, Corolla is a reliable, no nonsense car. It looks majestic in black.

I am waiting for the picture you promised with both black beauties parked next to each other.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:12   #66
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Congrats vid on your new car, the car looks gorgeous, good pics. Is it possible for you to post some of the interior pics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Congrats Vid ! She looks stunning in black !! Can we have some interior pics as well ?
Interior pics coming up this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Altis has become a real looker in black. I wonder why the toyotas are always reluctant to include black as a choice in their fleet of cars.
Now Innova black is not available. This Altis took ages to come out.
Anyway you are assured of a hassle free ownership.
Congrats for the Altis.

I am quite amased at the fact that you TDed cars in the range of 10Lakhs to 35lakhs and finally brought the least priced (by some good 20Lakhs) among them.
Black is usually launched to boost sales when they are down. It was the same with the Civic and the earlier corolla.

The black Innova is back by popular demand.

Out of the entire list of cars I drove the Superb was the best followed by the Accord. The Merc was special, yes but only for the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Finally, you got the car. So, now you have 2 blackies and one silver in the garage right ? All 6639 ?
Alto is maroon or wine red yaar and not 6639.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Congrats Vid on your purchase. The Altis is indeed a nice car. One question though, what made you choose Altis over Accord?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Congratulations Vid!! Car looks real nice in black!

One question though. You mentioned that Skoda Superb made the Accord look expensive. But then, you didn't go for Superb either (for obvious reasons). So, that must have brought the Accord back into contention? Between Altis and Accord, what tilted the scales in favour of Altis?
Another reason I was apprehensive about the superb was the 2 yr warranty. The Accord was 4 years and the Toyota 3 years. The after sales was just too big a risk.

Accord was just too big to drive in city. The huge overhangs and wide body just gave me a horrible time during the TD. At 22L it had no xenons, no steering mounted controls, no automatic headlamps, no multi information display no auto dimming mirrors.

The extras were 8 airbags and dual zone climate control. So effectively for 8L more you just get a bigger car with lesser features and more power.

Moreover the 2.4L mill in the Accord is a thirsty one from what I have heard.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:18   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats!

Hi Vidyut.

Congrats on the new car and the Toyota owners gang. Must say the car looks great in black!

Cheers!
Old 20th August 2009, 20:35   #68
BHPian

So the green laminated glass mentioned in the spec is after all related to the slight tint in the glass. While I was taking the TD, the salesperson was repeatedly telling me that the car's glasses are not tinted and in fact he wasn't even aware that the spec refers to a "green laminated" glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
The car has very good qualiity all round tinted glasses with a green band on the wind screen. They cut the heat very effectively. I have used the car in the horrible heat of North India for nearly 5 months now and have never felt the need of additional sunfilm. Additional tints will also spoil the natural tint of the glasses which look quite good.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Vid!
I am seeing black altis for the first time(As its the first in india) and toyota has certainly made a mistake not bringing the color earlier. Just Smashing!
So is this for your dad or yourself?

A bit OT- I was reading in another thread also where Frank has got HSRP number plates. What is the significance of these HSRP plates?
Old 20th August 2009, 22:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

another one of those 6639s that will define your life for years to come! God bless you Vid! And enjoy her, mile after mile! Sigh!!! (added for dramatic effect)
Old 20th August 2009, 22:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to ask you one thing or rather to any Altis owners, is there TPMS in the Altis? If yes, does it get displayed in the display or something?
Old 20th August 2009, 23:35   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
So the green laminated glass mentioned in the spec is after all related to the slight tint in the glass. While I was taking the TD, the salesperson was repeatedly telling me that the car's glasses are not tinted and in fact he wasn't even aware that the spec refers to a "green laminated" glass.
Most of the sales persons are ignorant of technicalities. One Skoda salesman did not even know what is a tinted glass. All laminated glass which I think is common now a days to all cars have a film sandwiched between 2 layers of safety glass to stop the glass from splintering. But all premium cars have superior films inside the glass layers to trap heat, glare, UV rays and what not. These are tinted glasses. Sometimes there is even a combination of films for even better sunlight and glare protection. So you never see additional tinted films on any of the premium cars even in the heat of middle east.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:35   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Congratulations!!

Great choice, Corolla is a reliable, no nonsense car. It looks majestic in black.

I am waiting for the picture you promised with both black beauties parked next to each other.
Thanks PatienceWins. I'll take the pics of both black 6639's tomorrow and post them across. They really look good standing together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Congrats Vid!
I am seeing black altis for the first time(As its the first in india) and toyota has certainly made a mistake not bringing the color earlier. Just Smashing!
So is this for your dad or yourself?

A bit OT- I was reading in another thread also where Frank has got HSRP number plates. What is the significance of these HSRP plates?
The car is mainly for dad but all weekend/highway driving will be me. Also he doesnt drive too much so monday to friday will be chauffeur driven. Ofcourse full maintenance is overlooked by me. Currently during running in driver also does not get to drive, it's only me.

The HSRP's just look good and are not yet officially endorsed by the RTO. When they are released officially they will have a barcode and will need to be fitted at the RTO only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
another one of those 6639s that will define your life for years to come! God bless you Vid! And enjoy her, mile after mile! Sigh!!! (added for dramatic effect)
lol. Thanks a lot Frank. We have both got our cars on the same day. Only difference being one is black and the other white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Forgot to ask you one thing or rather to any Altis owners, is there TPMS in the Altis? If yes, does it get displayed in the display or something?
Nope no TPMS in the Altis. Just a Multi info display which shows distance to empty, average consumption and instantaneous consumption.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st August 2009 at 09:38.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:42   #74
Senior - BHPian

The car really looks good, especially in black. Toyota has always been bull's eye on reliability. Seems the Altis has taken really well in the market.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:57   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Congratulations Vidyut.

I liked the thought process. And those one liners are enough (IMHO) to sum up what the cars that your test drove have to offer. You (and your dad) were able to appreciate everthing that a particular brand has to offer but still were able to keep away from giving to those emotional temptations.

Looking at the test drive list, only thing I wonder is why BMW is missing from that list?
My dad never drove any of the cars. He merely sat at the back to see the comfort. I did all the driving. Since car was meant for him he saw his comfort levels and I wanted something good to drive as all highway runs and weekend runs I'll be driving.

BMW is missing because dad sat inside the 3 series and found it quite uncomfortable. The rear space was lesser than the merc C and the ride was just too hard for his liking.

Moreover imagine giving a 38L BMW 320d, the ultimate driving machine to a driver who is enjoying driving the car whereas the person who spent that money is sitting in the back seat trying to look comfortable even when there is no legroom but cringing everytime the car goes over a pothole. Sacrilege if you ask me and a sheer waste of the BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post

I suggest that you drive the car for 1 more month and you will not feel the need for tints. If sunlight starts coming from sides, then just reduce the AC temp by 1 or 2*C and it does the trick.
Thanks akj53. Bangalore is relatively cooler and the main reason why I'm getting the tints is because a black car looks that much better with tints. I'm getting the lightest shade which is within the RTO limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
congrats vidyut, i guess altis engine is same as old corolla or is it different?
How is the suspension tuned? soft/bumpy.

Time for me to take test drive.
The Altis in India comes with the same old engine i.e. 1ZZ-FE DOHC VVT-i. Compared to the older one it has different ECU settings and is 5PS up on power.

In other countries the Altis now comes with the 2ZR-FE engine which has Dual VVT-i i.e. variable valve control on both intake and exhaust valves.

New flagship 1.8 liter powerplant for Toyota

Also the 1ZZ-FE has forged internals and you also get a TRD supercharger kit which is a bolt on. (ps: this is only general knowledge and I have no plans on touching the engine. lol)

The suspension is setup on the soft side and is extremely comfy. The handling is not that bad although it does roll a bit. The steering it too light and takes some getting used to as it weighs up considerably as speeds increase.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st August 2009 at 10:00.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks