Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 21:31   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Belated congrats on the Safari.

Please be careful when driving at such high speeds. Dont ever bother to take a picture of your high speed stunt yourselves. Drive Safe. Please dont get offended.
Non taken. You are absoultely right .
Old 24th January 2010, 15:56   #47
BHPian

Got the catcon. punched out y'day. My init. observations :

1. Turbo whistle is now more pronounced :(
2. Now able to coast in lower gears better . Previously in traffic when i take the foot off the pedal while in the 1-2 gears the vehicle momentum immed. slowed due to compression pressure, its now able to coast a bit more . Due to reduced back -pressure ???

Did'nt get an opportunity to check out the effect in high speed -- 3K -3.5K rpm range. Will check and update.
Old 24th January 2010, 16:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpatrol View Post
Got the catcon. punched out y'day. My init. observations :

1. Turbo whistle is now more pronounced :(
2. Now able to coast in lower gears better . Previously in traffic when i take the foot off the pedal while in the 1-2 gears the vehicle momentum immed. slowed due to compression pressure, its now able to coast a bit more . Due to reduced back -pressure ???

Did'nt get an opportunity to check out the effect in high speed -- 3K -3.5K rpm range. Will check and update.
how did you managed to get rid of cat-con.
Does it needed cutting of silencer?
Old 24th January 2010, 18:47   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
how did you managed to get rid of cat-con.
Does it needed cutting of silencer?
Nops, its a seperate unit, it can be removed, the ceramic honeycomb structure knocked off and the unit put back on ..... strongly recommed against doing it... emission clearance would be touch and go !! - although i seriously don't know if my cat was still doing its job on the 2004 safari for which i got a EC done just a few days back. Cats cons on a diesel anyways do not work as well in reducing NOx . They don't reduce the elemental carbon(soot - Black smoke) either
Old 11th February 2010, 14:12   #50
BHPian

TCIC temperature will never go above the half mark, irrespective of the incline or full blast AC or extreme heat or for that matter any condition. I have had 2 TCICs that I have driven for over 90000 kms.

Even in the Lhasa Tibet highway (Arunachal Pradesh), with slopes and inclines were far worse than Manali-Leh-Srinagar stretch, (AC was then off due to cold), the car was in first gear and full rev for hours at a stretch, the temperature never went up above 1/4 or 1/5th, infact it was hard to keep the engine warm and not stall the car.. Try getting the cat converter checked/cleaned to avoid back pressure, the radiator checked to check proper cooling(I use all coolant no water) In fact you might even try cleaning the turbo plumbing (TASS told me once the turbo died - I didnt agree and cleaned it at the roadside mechanics).

As far as top speed is concerned, I did over 160 kmph (indicated) on the Mumbai Pune expressway - and that was Mumbai to Pune (read uphill). My car is with the Mico fuel pump, and runs on Goodyear Wrangler AT/R 255/70/R15s.

At almost 90k, I have finally managed to iron out all the TCIC problems, and I think in the proces, I have become half an engineer myself. With the TCIC - its like any marriage. Initially we fought, struggled, had tough times, but now, we have understood each other perfectly. Its like a married couple of many years..

Just got a fresh overcoat on it, fitted a double DIN system and pained the interiors jet black. Now I will keep this car till eternity even if I buy another VX 4x4.
Old 11th February 2010, 15:48   #51
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkborah View Post

At almost 90k, I have finally managed to iron out all the TCIC problems, and I think in the proces, I have become half an engineer myself. With the TCIC - its like any marriage. Initially we fought, struggled, had tough times, but now, we have understood each other perfectly. Its like a married couple of many years..

Quote:

Just got a fresh overcoat on it, fitted a double DIN system and pained the interiors jet black. Now I will keep this car till eternity even if I buy another VX 4x4.
Would love to see what you've done to the interiors. Am quite tired with the bad quality stuff in mine! Can you please post some pictures?
Old 13th February 2010, 16:47   #52
BHPian

Quote:
TCIC temperature will never go above the half mark, irrespective of the incline or full blast AC or extreme heat or for that matter any condition. I have had 2 TCICs that I have driven for over 90000 kms.

Even in the Lhasa Tibet highway (Arunachal Pradesh), with slopes and inclines were far worse than Manali-Leh-Srinagar stretch, (AC was then off due to cold), the car was in first gear and full rev for hours at a stretch, the temperature never went up above 1/4 or 1/5th, infact it was hard to keep the engine warm and not stall the car.. Try getting the cat converter checked/cleaned to avoid back pressure, the radiator checked to check proper cooling(I use all coolant no water) In fact you might even try cleaning the turbo plumbing (TASS told me once the turbo died - I didnt agree and cleaned it at the roadside mechanics).

As far as top speed is concerned, I did over 160 kmph (indicated) on the Mumbai Pune expressway - and that was Mumbai to Pune (read uphill). My car is with the Mico fuel pump, and runs on Goodyear Wrangler AT/R 255/70/R15s.

Totally agree, once you understand the vehicle, you would like to keep it forever.

How do you clean the turbo plumbing?

Most Viewed