Team-BHP - Fiat Palio Stile Multijet SDX 20000 Kms (1st report)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Fiat Palio Stile Multijet SDX 20000 Kms (1st report) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/64893-fiat-palio-stile-multijet-sdx-20000-kms-1st-report.html)

I am owning a 2001 1.2 Fiat Palio and pretty happy with it. But for my work I had to travel a total of 80 kms daily and it was getting costlier burning petrol in my 1.2. Any ways the 1.2 palio was getting old so a new diesel car made sense and started the look out. Had some priorities. You may check in the below thread during the finalyzation.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...tijet-sdx.html

After the final decision we went to Sanya Motors, Mayapuri who were very helpful and booked the car on 10th December ’08. On Dec 11th ’08, I got the delivery of my Fiat Palio Stile Multijet SDX. Total cost on road was Rs. 535000(rounded).

Initial Responses:
The Palio always gave me a feeling of driving a bigger car than it is. Solid built quality as always was my priority; I am more towards the European cars for this.
Car is heavier and feels heavier than my 1.2, off course with the diesel Engine there is added weight
The power steering is quite heavy and you have to be a muscle man for parking
The suspension is stiffer than the old palio but it has the same ‘thunk’ sound over bumps which is good.
On rough patches it does gives you an idea of tarmac at slow speeds but once it picks up the speed you are comfortable.
Clutch in all palios are harder than the regulars.

Interiors:
The seats are very comfortable but the dash board is a let down. The design is ages old with all analog meters. The oval shape dash storage on top (passenger side) is useless.
The quality of the material is good.
Head room at the back is less. 6 footers tend to brush on the roof.
AC is one of the best. Chills instantly even in Delhis hot and humid weather.
It has been given a beige interior treatment but then the dry clean job will be more often.
Boot space is good. Better than many other hatches.

Exteriors:
Looks have a cosmetic upgrade but some how I still like the old one.
The rear of the stile is very simple.
The plastic bumpers of the new Stile is not as tough as the earlier Palios.

After market Accessories:
The head unit for sound system was given free under some scheme with 4” speakers from the dealership. I haven’t put many acc. Seat Covers (custom made), JBL GTO-947 with company fitted head (will be replaced soon with a Panasonic), Legal tints, Floor matts. That’s it (For now).

The Drive:
Ok now this is fun:). The engine has a bit clatter but once you are inside driving you never feel it’s a diesel. For the first 1000 kms the 2000 rpm mark was crossed occasionally.
The only problem is that the gear throw is long which is nagging but the engine keeps you entertained. It starts like a locomotive – 1000, 1200, 1500 (not sluggish) at 1700 rpm, turbo starts to wake up and as you cross the 2000rpm mark you feel like a jet. There is a Mad rush of power. Its only when you see other cars being left behind you realize you are at 100 kmph @2600 rpm.
But I never really got a chance to take it further than 3500 rpm at 5th gear.
For the class the power is good and one of the fastest accelerating hatches around. Now that I am used to it I sometimes feel I need more power. Then, it’s the human tendency.
My usage is mainly a mix of city and highway(40%/60%). I am getting a consistent 16.5 kmpl with 70% AC and near about 18 without AC. Do note that I am not light with the accelerator.
Long trip I had only one to Agra. With 4 adults and a total of 551 kms at the end of the day I could have driven more as wasn’t tired at all. The Stile delivered 22 kmpl for that trip which means cheaper than a bus.

The car is well balanced and is stable at triple digit speeds though at bends you do feel a tad lesser grip because of the 13” stock tyres. The tyre noise is noticeable even at low speeds. I would definitely advise a tyre upgrade.

Service Experience:
1st Service @ 500 kms, Just an overall checkup. Rubber coating done for the underbelly. Total Rs. 1800

2nd Service@ 9022 kms
Oils checked and changed. Engine bay waxing done. Total Rs. 2857

Soon after 2nd service there was some problem with the transmition. The gear changing occasionally had a sound after the car has travelled around 10-15 kms. Sound was same as sometimes we hear when engaging the reverse. Some effort was also to be put into engaging the gear.
Took to the Service center where they checked but that time except for the clutch being hard the sound was not coming.
Anyways they changed the complete clutch kit under warranty within a day. The problem was gone with even lighter clutch.

3rd Service @ 16942 kms
Oil change, brakes checked, alignment done. Total Rs. 2500 aprox.

Now its 20060 kms at the odo as of now without any issue. It will be due for the 4th service @ 22500 kms which will be paid from now on. The after sales service is not at all bad in my case. Its been 9 months and there are some minor scraches. Thanks to the small wannabe artist kids of my block. The latest pictures of it will be loaded soon. You can have a look on the pictures taken the next day of delivery in my garage. Over all I am satisfied with the car and will definitely recommend.

Now the Comparision of Palio 1.2 ELX and Palio Stile 1.3SDX, what I have experienced. I know both are different in its own ways but still.

Build Quality:
The 1.2 version has a solid build quality especially the 2001s and early 2002s. Not a single rattle till now. All the materials are top notch. Cannot say the same regarding the paint quality whereas the Palio Stile comparatively is not as solid. Plastic parts like the bumpers are delicate.

Drive:
Palio 1.2 is a lazy coach and takes its time to move. Don’t think of making a quick move when the lights turn green. Good cruiser though.
Stile Multijet is fast.

Comfort:
The suspension setup on the Stile multijet is stiffer than the Palio ELX/1.6. The ride comfort is better in the old palio but it is floaty at bends. Both are stable but the older palios came with a 14” tyres and stiles are coming with 13".
You sit slightly higher in the new stile and the ground clearance is higher for a good view but the thick pillars (common for both) reduce visiblity. Old one has a low stance and sitting, which I somehow like.
Power steering heavier in stile probably due to the diesel motor.

Looks:
Subjective, I like the old one or may be the new stile headlights for the older Palio.

Others:
Absence of side skirt and Antennas from factory for the stile.
Absence of cigarette lighter for the stile (I don’t smoke so no issue for me).

Will be updating the thread at intervels.
Any comments, suggestions or questions regarding what I might have missed are welcome.

Thanks man for that detailed post listing your impressions of the Stile as compared to the older Palio.

Congrats on the new car and look forward to many more detailed posts from you.

Cheers,

Good long term review. I liked the part where you compared the old Palio to the new Stiles. I too like the Old Palio (though I've never owned one, only driven) and it would look too good with the Stile headlights.

Pics please and all the best with the Stile multijet.

Hi Romy,

I remember that long phone conversation we had when I was getting my mirrors replaced at Him Motors last year. Few points from my side:

1. I hope this clutch replacement issue is limited to cars from Oct 08 onwards as I don't seem to suffer from such a problem.

2. Upgrade to 185 sized tyres (even on 13", if you don't want to upgrade) and you will feel way, way more confident around the curves.

3. I think the CG of this car is higher than the older Palios, because somehow, it seems to roll more.

Have fun, enjoy the Multijet.

Thanks Krish3 and Ravveendrra.

@ siddharth: Good to hear from you. For clutch, yes i think too since the servicing mechanic had told me that he had done it for another stile just a week ago.

The tyres will be upsized on my next replacement probably with a 16 or 17" alloys if available in 98 pcd.

The CG might be higher since the suspension is raised but i have never felt a noticeable roll. May be bacause of the stiffer suspension setup.

Hi guys.. As promised I am attaching the pictures of my ride.

Dude,

Congrats rahega on the car and the milestone. I'm glad that I was a part of helping close out your decision. Now sad pics for a fantastic car. Sometime come over to gurgaon and we'll take some nifty shining pics befitting the mini tank :)

Great show friend. Wishing you many more of these milestones with the 'Tank'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by architect (Post 1469016)

1. I hope this clutch replacement issue is limited to cars from Oct 08 onwards as I don't seem to suffer from such a problem.

I am due for the 3rd free service and mine is Oct 08 make. The clutch was hard from day one and has remained so (done 14,870 km). I am okay with it, except when I have to drive b2b in the city, I feel as if the left knee is overworked. There are no problems in gear shifting, acceleration etc. Question is, do I report my clutch as having a problem? I don't want the poor A** guys mess with my car if the clutch is indeed designed to be hard. Also, is an inside door lock lever replaced under warranty?

@ Hitanshu: Good to hear from you man.
I am half the time in Gurgaon(Work place) only. The picture quality is so, as they are taken from my sony phone camera:D...

@ Hoopoe: Thanks buddy.

@ tortoiseNhare: I'll suggest you to drive other Palios to compare the hardness of your clutch and then take the descision.
The door lock lever should be replaced under warranty...

Congrats.A very good detailed report on comparison of both the models.
why didn't you choose the GP?at least the basic MJD model.

My car's recently completed 35000 kms., most of it on the highway. It's been pretty problem-free, and I've not faced any major issues....till yesterday.

Actually, let me step back and tell you what happened 2 weeks ago. On the weekend of the 23rd (Jan), I was driving from Bangalore to Kumbakonam via Salem, Namakkal, Trichy, and Thanjavur. I left Bangalore around 5 AM, and the car was brilliant. But between Namakkal and Trichy, I felt the acceleration fade completely. The symptoms:

- The engine took thrice the usual time to rev till 2000 rpm
- The turbo did not kick in
- The engine refused to rev over 3200 rpm
- Speed maxed out around 90 kmph (which was achieved with great difficulty)
- No warning lights flared up

Buses and trucks were overtaking me with ease suddenly. So I pulled over and disconnected and reconnected the Pete's box lead to the engine, and disconnected and reconnected the battery. My initial suspicion was that the Pete's was responsible - being an after-market item, it is cursed with being the prime suspect in case of trouble.

After the disconnect and reconnect, the car was perfectly ok. Since then, I have driven ~ 2,000 km. on it (again, mostly on the highway) with no issues whatsoever.

Until yesterday....

driving from Madras early in the morning, the car was in fine fettle. I had pretty much forgotten about the issue mentioned in the para above. Then, as I was over-taking a truck on the Krishnagiri-Hosur stretch. At 80 (when I normally shift to fourth), the acceleration suddenly disappeared. It's as if the car was suddenly mired in quicksand. All the symptoms mentioned above were exhibited again, and I was convinced that a disconnect/reconnect would fix it. But it didn't. I then disconnected the Pete's box and connected the stock ECU lead to the engine, but to no avail.

I limped back to Bangalore, and headed straight to Prerana on OMR. I waited there for 4 hours while they checked the car out thoroughly.

Diagnosis 1:
Water in the fuel tank. So they flushed the tank and took it for a test drive, but the problem still remained.

Diagnosis 2: ECU issues. They reset the ECU, but the problem persisted.

Diagnosis 3: (current hypothesis) Turbo failure. They've dismantled the turbo and are examining it as I type this. I'll keep this thread updated on the outcome of their examination.

I don't think Diagnoses 1 and 3 hold water (pardon the pun). Here's why:

1. Why did the first occurrence of this issue get sorted with the disconnect/reconnect if it was a fuel/turbo issue?

2. With mechanical issues, does an engine that is performing perfectly one moment just lose it's power without any external symptoms? (no smoke from the engine or tailpipe, no warning lights or sounds, no mechanical grinding or sudden loud sound, no change in other parameters such as engine temp, oil pressure, etc.)

I've also brought my uncle into the discussion...he heads Bimetal Bearings and knows the 1.3 multijet engine inside out. He feels it could be an injector system calibration error.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice (Post 1723376)
I've also brought my uncle into the discussion...he heads Bimetal Bearings and knows the 1.3 multijet engine inside out. He feels it could be an injector system calibration error.

I guess your uncle can give some more light into this issue.

Many of us Palio Multijetters have experienced the problem of sudden power loss while trying fast acceleration. I could replicate the problem many times in 4th and 5th gears. It never happened in the lower gears. When this symptom occurs I slow down to less than 2000 rpm and then accelerate slowly. I tried flooring the pedal a couple of times in such situations but the rpm refused to rise above 2000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice (Post 1723376)
My car's recently completed 35000 kms., most of it on the highway. It's been pretty problem-free, and I've not faced any major ... injector system calibration error.

Sorry Streetlife,

Didn't mean to hijack your thread...posted my message in this by mistake. Please feel free to get this deleted - I don't know how to do this myself.