Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 10:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

The reliability of 'Scorpio' is proved here once again. I have seen Scorpio's doing 2.5 lakh KMs without engine rebuild in a pretty nice condition. But, yours is a good once considering your driving style.

anyways, Ride Safely.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:10   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
My oldie has been suffering all the abuse very well even now.

the only problems i have right now is that the engine is too noisy now & there is some noise from the timing belt pulley (the chain drive in my model was replaced with a belt drive in later models). the pickup has reduced to a great extent. also, some squeaking noise from the rear door. apart from that, no issues as such. the yokohamas are handling rough stuff pretty well.

when i went to the mahindra's A.S.S to sort the noise & pickup issues, they said they will service the fuel pump & TRY! no guarantee that it will be solved. still, i think the car deserves a good service now.
Raj lovely to read that. Thats the old CRDe one you have I am sure. For 1.8 L kms on the odo the condition of the Scorp is pretty good.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
Raj, how do your rate old / new scorps with the innova. Hope wouldnt mind sharing even if explained elsewhere before.
first comes the scorpio mHawk followed by the scorpio CRDe followed by the innova & lastly the scorpio non-CRDe.

scorpios are too fun to drive & innova beats the scorpio non-CRDe because the scorpio is almost 2L kms old & the innova is just 60k now.

build quality of the innova seem superior but the maintainence, spares & upkeep costs of toyota is too high compared to mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The reliability of 'Scorpio' is proved here once again. I have seen Scorpio's doing 2.5 lakh KMs without engine rebuild in a pretty nice condition. But, yours is a good once considering your driving style.

anyways, Ride Safely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Raj lovely to read that. Thats the old CRDe one you have I am sure. For 1.8 L kms on the odo the condition of the Scorp is pretty good.
yes, considering the way i drove it, it is in a pretty good condition now!
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
it has seen many off roading sessions like hill climbing, mud plugging & 'divider crossing' even though its not a 4WD! you maybe thinking what is divider crossing? whenever i was stuck up in a jam, the scorpio was made to jump over the divider to the other side & race to the first position scaring the oncoming traffic! yes, i was a nerd!
Great write up! Glad to see such a strong vehicle gone through 1.8L odd kms and still going strong. Guess Scorpios are built to last then!

However, I need to say this. I do not mean any disrespect. Please consider this. You are driving a new BMW 520D with a small kid in the front seat directly from the showroom. You and me (driving a scorpio) are driving on two sides of the road separated by a divider. All of a sudden, I decided I have waited enough for the light to go green and divider cross and almost smash into your new BMW. I am very sure you would want to kill me then! Please put yourself in others shoes before driving like that because you might feel the thrill while an old man might have got a heart attack you wouldnt even be aware of.

My sincere request that you stop driving like that on our roads. Since you have said "I used to drive" I hope you dont drive like that anymore. I say again, I do not mean any disrespect.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

My 2005 non-crde 2.6 GLX has completed 2.26 lakh kms today. Going strong.
Attached Thumbnails
1.8 lakh kms with Scorpio GLX!-slide8.jpg  

Last edited by hvkumar : 2nd February 2010 at 23:54.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
Great write up! Glad to see such a strong vehicle gone through 1.8L odd kms and still going strong. Guess Scorpios are built to last then!
thanks shankar.

Quote:
However, I need to say this. I do not mean any disrespect. Please consider this. You are driving a new BMW 520D with a small kid in the front seat directly from the showroom. You and me (driving a scorpio) are driving on two sides of the road separated by a divider. All of a sudden, I decided I have waited enough for the light to go green and divider cross and almost smash into your new BMW. I am very sure you would want to kill me then! Please put yourself in others shoes before driving like that because you might feel the thrill while an old man might have got a heart attack you wouldnt even be aware of.

My sincere request that you stop driving like that on our roads. Since you have said "I used to drive" I hope you dont drive like that anymore. I say again, I do not mean any disrespect.
first of all, as you said, i USED to drive like that, you can say it was the "josh" of a bad 18 year old then! now i think i am the slowest scorpio driver in mumbai! now i drive a mHawk which i pamper like my baby. it pains if the mHawk crashes into an unnoticed pothole, so forget divider crossing & stuff.

but that said, i think this is the major difference between the mHawk & my oldie non-Crde. while the non-CRDe was a MAN who used to exude a feeling that i am built tough- thrash me, abuse me & race me- i'll still pass a wicked smile on you. on the other hand, i treat the mHawk as a 5 yr old!

about scaring the oncoming traffic, okay- that can be taken as a bit of exaggeration! i dint mean literally scaring! i used to be very very careful, infact i have had no crashes/accidents or even minor scratches with my scorpio in my 7 years of ownership, touch wood. thats not possible if i am not careful.

finally, NO DISRESPECT TAKEN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
this thread should be renamed as testimony to scorpio's reliability!
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:35   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The earlier non CRDe engine was a very basic and tough engine. I hope the newer mhawk has the same kind of long term reliability and longevity despite the added electronics and CRDe pump etc...
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

great to know that the Scorpio last that long without any problem
Old 3rd February 2010, 23:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
WOW!!! So, its actually a good bet to buy a non-crde 2.6 if you are looking for it to last a lifetime?

Quote:

first of all, as you said, i USED to drive like that, you can say it was the "josh" of a bad 18 year old then! now i think i am the slowest scorpio driver in mumbai! now i drive a mHawk which i pamper like my baby. it pains if the mHawk crashes into an unnoticed pothole, so forget divider crossing & stuff.

but that said, i think this is the major difference between the mHawk & my oldie non-Crde. while the non-CRDe was a MAN who used to exude a feeling that i am built tough- thrash me, abuse me & race me- i'll still pass a wicked smile on you. on the other hand, i treat the mHawk as a 5 yr old!

about scaring the oncoming traffic, okay- that can be taken as a bit of exaggeration! i dint mean literally scaring! i used to be very very careful, infact i have had no crashes/accidents or even minor scratches with my scorpio in my 7 years of ownership, touch wood. thats not possible if i am not careful.

finally, NO DISRESPECT TAKEN.
Very glad to hear all of that hope both of your scorpios last you lots and lots of kms
Old 4th February 2010, 00:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
WOW!!! So, its actually a good bet to buy a non-crde 2.6 if you are looking for it to last a lifetime?

D
Well, my 2.6 is quite a car, but the older the car the more the maintenance bill. I'm told that the engine will last 3L before it cries for an overhaul, but suspension, etc make lots of demands. One good thing is that the unsophisticated systems (no ECU) mean that you eliminate electronic and sensor-related problems which are quite common in the newgen cars.
Old 4th February 2010, 10:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
great to know that the Scorpio last that long without any problem
actually mahindras are known to be makers of crude & ugly looking vehicles. nobody cares to look at its VFM proposition, reliability, cheap service & rugged nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The earlier non CRDe engine was a very basic and tough engine. I hope the newer mhawk has the same kind of long term reliability and longevity despite the added electronics and CRDe pump etc...
i also hope the same.

Quote:
Well, my 2.6 is quite a car, but the older the car the more the maintenance bill. I'm told that the engine will last 3L before it cries for an overhaul, but suspension, etc make lots of demands. One good thing is that the unsophisticated systems (no ECU) mean that you eliminate electronic and sensor-related problems which are quite common in the newgen cars.
i completely agree.
Old 4th February 2010, 15:49   #42
BANNED

Which brings to mind the next obvious question, how many kms has your CRDe clocked Raj? Any issues with that one?
Also, in my personal opinion, the CRDe is the best Scorp engine so far as it is exactly midway between the tech savvy MHawk and the completely non-tech 2.6 turbo. I have seen CRDe done around 2.5 lac kms at the Service Center and going pretty strong.

Would look forward to your personal opinion though, since you own all versions.
Old 4th February 2010, 16:15   #43
BHPian

Raj,
I happened to see this late. 1.85 Lakhs KMs?? That's a lot of motivation for a new Scorp owner like me. No wonder why mine is already at 8000 Kms in 4 months! My first ownership report is due soon. Thanks, again!
Old 4th February 2010, 16:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

my CRDe is going to touch the 1L mark pretty soon, to be precise, 98,000 kms. it has no issues as such but the engine had a strange sound which a local mech said is because one of the valves is not working or something like that. i would say its more because its the most neglected car & has often missed/delayed its scheduled services. and thats because it rarely gets a day off from work! its always travelling around maharashtra. it has got it's tyres changed once (again to JK because it has a longer life). its not shod with michelins or yokos as its our company vehicle & has to travel through rough roads & sometimes no roads. it got its brake pads changed once, the clutch had become hard once which was rectified & nothing else which i can remember.

but i deserves an applaud as even after so much of rough treatment & even some negligence on our part (delay in services, repairs of minor/major issues, etc), it has never failed us nor has given any maintainence issues or expenses nor has shown any signs of fatigue. it does it duty (very well) without complaining, day after day.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 4th February 2010 at 16:30.
Old 8th February 2010, 01:54   #45
BHPian

There isn't anything more satisfying than owning a car nicely manufactured and built well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks