Team-BHP - Mahindra Scorpio SLE 2009 - 1 Lakh kms update - Now Sold
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Mahindra Scorpio SLE 2009 - 1 Lakh kms update - Now Sold (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/66788-mahindra-scorpio-sle-2009-1-lakh-kms-update-now-sold-4.html)

Faced my first major issue with vehicle. However, as i later found out, the issue was not actually with the vehicle, but with adulterated fuel.

About a month back , one fine day, i suddenly see the dreaded Check light come on and engine loose steam. Tried to shrug it off as a one off incident, hoping it wont re occur. But next day things went from bad to worse. Check light was coming on every 5 minutes. Had to repeatedly shut the engine, wait and then drive 100-200 metres before stopping again. Just about managed to reach home. Didnt go to the service guys that day as it was already around 7 pm.

Next day, labouriously drove the vehicle to Mahindra guys. They immidietly suspected some issue with the fuel. Opened the diesel filter, and voila - what comes out is a mixture that is 50 % diesel and 50 % water. I always used to fill diesel from a reputed pump, and never faced any issues. However, a new "Factory Owned and Operated IOCL Petrol Pump" opened next to my place and trusting the "OEM IOCL Guys" did 2 full tank top ups from them in about 20 days time. The first time check light came on was about a week after the second top up. So much for the quality of fuel in "factory owned and operated" pumps in India.

So the mahindra guys keep the vehicle with them for a day. They of course change the filter. In addition, they open the tank, clean it and the diesel lines, and hand over the vehicle back to me.

All works well for a few days. After a week or 10 days, the check light comes on again. However, this time it comes up only at the time of starting the engine. Once i manage to start the vehicle, check light goes and doesnt come on again. Also, the firing up of the engine takes a long time. The battery seemed fine from the sound of it being able to crank the engine nicely. It was just that the engine was not firing up quickly.

This time i decided not to go to the mahindra guys. I was sure they had not done a proper job the first time, and was somehow not confident of them being able to resolve the issue without making me run up and down a few times.

So i go to a well known garage close to my place. My previous car Wagon R also had a issue which the Maruti guys were just not able to get hold of. This guy had sorted that out in the first go and had charged me a princely sum of Rs 100/-.

The filter is opened up again. As soon as the first nut is loosened, air bubbles come out. And then when the diesel in the filter is drained, its not water this time but fine dust. Lots of it. The filter is almost clogged with dust. Am sure the Mahindra guys never cared to clean the tank properly. Or may be after cleaning they left it exposed to dust.

So, the filter is cleaned again, and fitted back. I am told to run the vehicle for about a week before going back to the garage. The filter will then be re examined. If there is more dust, the tank will be cleaned again. However, filter will be changed regardless for obvious reasons.

Its been around three days now, and the vehicle is back to working as it should be. Am confident the whole issue is pretty much resolved now, only the tank cleaning (if required) and diesel filter replacement pending.

Been a really long time since i updated my ownership thread. Completed six years of ownership of Scorpio in Oct with 90000 kms of running.

The ownership experience has been very good. Have taken the vehicle for plenty of long drives through many parts of India, and on most occassions with family. It has never given me a reason for worry. Never been stranded by the roadside till date.

The engine still drives very smoothly. I have no reason to believe that there should be any issues at all even till 2 Lac or so kms on the odo. Suspension and clutch have also held well. No major work done for these.

After my extended warranty period got over, I have got the vehicle serviced from FNGs only. However, for the next service I intend taking it to Mahindra for a thorough once over.

Have faced two major issues so far. One fine day in Goa the vehicle didnt start. Got a nearby FNG guy to inspect the vehicle and the Alternator turned out to be the culprit. The rectifier of the Alternator was replaced. Bought it from an authorised Bosch sales guy for 2000 or so. Also the alternator coil insulation had become weak at a few places. Was overhauled. That was six months ago and the alternator is going strong now.

The biggest issue I have had is that my ABS control module went kaput about a month ago. Came to know through the ABS light on the display. Costs about 40 K or so. Mahindra have agreed to do it without any profit margins and labour charges and are now quoting 31 K. However, I am in a dlimena as the research I have done tells me that though ABS is great (potential life saver) for normal driving conditions, however on dirt / gravel / snow filled roads, it can be the other way around. In hilly dirt / gravel roads, where I drive a lot, it can actually cause the brakes to not engage properly and increase the breaking distance.

The brakes are now like a regular non ABS vehicle brakes. More than the money part, I have been indecisive about the ABS module replacement due to reasons just mentioned. Would appreciate if I could get more views / inputs on this.

Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvldvr (Post 3883699)
Would appreciate if I could get more views / inputs on this.

Hi nvldvr, you might get some clues in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...thread-42.html

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 3883772)
Hi nvldvr, you might get some clues in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...thread-42.html

Cheers,
Vikram

Thanks Vikram.

From what it seems like, not having ABS may actually be better in some conditions. Imagine driving on a kucha mountain road with steep fall on one side. God forbid if your braking there kicks in the ABS, instead of stopping your car before the turn, it may actually keep the car moving (over the edge ???). Thats a scary situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvldvr (Post 3884551)
Imagine driving on a kucha mountain road with steep fall on one side. God forbid if your braking there kicks in the ABS, instead of stopping your car before the turn, it may actually keep the car moving (over the edge ???). Thats a scary situation.

:Shockked:
I had gotten the ABS control module replaced on my SLE, but under warranty FOC. The details here

Though ABS can be a life saver at times, it is still important to maintain safe distance no matter what the road condition is. I have had multiple times during monsoon, when the ABS kicked in preventing skidding. I too have had my vehicle driven without ABS functioning, but difference in the braking distance I thought was negligible.
Of course, there are quite number of vehicles plying around without ABS and the replacement of the ABS unit is not a cheap affair either. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by M35 (Post 3884563)
:Shockked:
I had gotten the ABS control module replaced on my SLE, but under warranty FOC. The details here

Though ABS can be a life saver at times, it is still important to maintain safe distance no matter what the road condition is. I have had multiple times during monsoon, when the ABS kicked in preventing skidding. I too have had my vehicle driven without ABS functioning, but difference in the braking distance I thought was negligible.
Of course, there are quite number of vehicles plying around without ABS and the replacement of the ABS unit is not a cheap affair either. :)

Hi M35,

How long since you replaced your ABS? Has the ABS given any more problems after the replacement.

I dont mind paying 30 odd grands for replacing the module. The only thing is that it should not again pack up after a year or two. Also, my apprehensions on its pros / cons still remain.

Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvldvr (Post 3884667)
Hi M35,
How long since you replaced your ABS? Has the ABS given any more problems after the replacement.

It was replaced in Dec 2013 and didn't have any ABS related issue since then. I don't mind affording any faulty odd sensor [ABS] now but not control module.

Further updates.

The vehicle had now clocked 92000 kms. For certain reasons decided to get the 1 Lakh km service done. This time had to go to Mahindra ASC as there were quite a few essential part replacements scheduled like Auto tensioner / belt for AC and Alternator. Went to Koncept at Okhla (Delhi). The experience turned out to be a good one as the service manager and the guys working on the vehicle did pay good attention and ensured a thorough job. Since this was a major service, got it done in my presence.

Got a complete check of the suspension and brakes done. Front brake pads and a quite a few suspension parts needed replacement. The Air filter assy also needed replacement as one of the cover nuts had worn out and was not opening. Though i had changed the coolant at 85000 Kms, a leaking coolant pipe warranted complete coolant drain and refill. Both inlet and outlet hoses of the intercooler were leaking and replaced. Vaccum modulator and the hand brake cable also were changed.

There is a very very minor seepage from the slave clutch cylendar. Was told that it may be due to some leaking seal inside the cylendar. Replacement of the seal would require opening the gear box drum. The work being substantial and the seepage almost negligible, have decided to live with it for now and keep a careful watch.

Diesel filter water indication light was flashing intermittently on the central console. The sensor was opened, connectors cleaned and fitted back. Holding good now and the indications have gone.

Decided not to get the ABS module replaced for now. Have thought long and hard about it.

Another issue was a minor leak from the securing nut in the engine oil sump. Noticed it as there was a drop of oil on the nut. However, have never seen any oil drop in the place where I park the scorpio at home. The nut was not tightening. Was made to understand that the engine oil sump or the cylendar is of aluminium make the securing nut is of SS make. Extra tightening o the nut last time around may have damaged the threading on the cylendar. Was advised that the only feasible option is replacement of the engine oil sump / cylendar ata cost of Rs 8000 or so. :eek: Have decided to get it checked at my regular FNG and see if some other way out emerges. Replacing the entire cylendar for a few worn out threads doesnt seem right to me. Any suggestions on this would be most welcome.

The total damage for the exercise was 30250. Attaching the bills for reference.

Was contemplating engine mounts change but the engine sounds smooth and silky as ever. No undue vibrations. So will think about it after a while.

Will reiterate that the scorpio after 6 years / 92000 kms is almost as good as new. I am sure with regular services and the occasional repairs / part replacements, its going to be a while before it would warrant retirement / replacement.

Cheers.

Attaching a few pics. Not the best quality. Taken at night in the tight confines of the parking space.

A few updates.

The vehicle has logged over 97000 kms now.

Decided to get the ABS module replaced. The cost was around 31.5 K. Although ABS might be a bit of an issue on gravel / snow, in most other conditions where I will drive 99% of the time, it could be a potential life saver. Hence decided to go ahead with the replacement.

With the summer heat rising above 40 deg, the AC was looking a tad less effective. Got the AC serviced (cleaned / washed primarily) and its now back at its chilling best.

Also, I wanted to stick to the original fabric seats for as long as possible because I always felt that Leather / Art leather seat covers might be too hot for Indian conditions. However, the seats had worn out over time and hence got these new art leather seat covers.

Hi guys,

With a tinge of regret I have to say that my ownership of this wonderful vehicle lasted a Lakh kms and 7 years in total.

Although the vehicle was in top shape and well maintained, for a while I had been thinking of letting it go. The primary reasons were safety related as this version had no airbags. Infact when I had bought the vehicle, even the top end VLX version did not have airbags. Since I do a significant amount of highway driving with my family in tow on most occassions, I wasnt very comfortable driving around in a vehicle without airbags. And ofcourse the crash test results of scorpio non air bag variant did not help matters as well.

Other reasons would include back seat comfort, especially on rough / hilly roads. The vehicle did bounce and roll and was not the best for folks seated back.

It was not the happiest moment to see the vehicle being driven out of my driveway by the new owner. But then you have to move on in life.

So I guess this would be the end of this thread. Hope it has been of use to fellow BHPians.

Cheers and regards.