Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 01:54   #31
BHPian

Hi Svaid,

This is one of the detailed and nicely written review on i10. With those pictures, if someone has to know everything about i10 driving experience this is the link I would recommend.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:01   #32
BHPian

Some Additional Observations

• There is no 60:40 split provided for the rear seats. The only movement that happens with those rear seats is that they can be folded by pulling the hooks on top of the rear seats. Even then the seat doesn't fold completely and stops at an acute angle. This could have been done in a better way by at least providing a 60:40 split. I am not sure whether to call this a shortcoming but would have really liked to have something like a split/completely fold-able seat.
  • The driver door side lock can be used to control locks of other doors as well as the boot. So if the driver side lock is open, the boot can also be opened. This doesn't seem to be a good thing at least for Indian conditions. Note that there is also no feature like the door auto locking after car reaching some speed.
  • One useful safety feature in i10 Kappa is the presence of rear headrests which can be height adjusted.
  • For the rear seat-belts, there is a seat belt hook cavity that has been provided so that seat belt can be kept hooked in to it in case of no use instead of tangling here and there on the rear seat.
  • All the doors have arm rests which are very wide and nice to use
  • A 12V power outlet is provided on the center console which is useful for charging cell phone.
  • There is no remote provided with the stock music system. This is not a problem since I drive myself all the time but could have been a useful thing for the rear seat users
Old 21st October 2009, 14:33   #33
BHPian

Gear Lock Position

The following image shows the gear lock position as installed on my i10.

i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-gear-lock.jpg

This is irritating as the slot for the gear lock stick touches the left knee all the time. Any owners who plan to install the gear lock - please make sure that you get the installation done in such a way that any similar problem doesn't happen
Old 21st October 2009, 15:04   #34
BHPian

Brilliant review! The content is thorough - like someone said - gives a complete picture of an i10. (i10 for Dummies) :-)

Ive been thinking of getting a small car for a while and your review gives me a good perspective on the i10.

Your observations on cornering and grip seem a tyre limitation issue - have you thought of an upgrade?

Wishing you a long trouble free tenure with your red tomato.

cheers.
Old 21st October 2009, 18:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensi View Post
Brilliant review! The content is thorough - like someone said - gives a complete picture of an i10. (i10 for Dummies) :-)
Absolutely agree.
I guess svaid should be one of the earlier, if not the earliest owner of an i10 kappa engined model on TBHP. New/prospective owners should gain a lot from his insight/experience.
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the photo.

I could see the slot for the gear lock stick, it is definitely not the right place to install it. The showroom guys should know better.

But I could not see the actual locking mechanism. Please pardon my ignorance, I have never seen a gear lock installed in i10. Could you please post another photo with the gear lock in place. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
There is no 60:40 split provided for the rear seats. The only movement that happens with those rear seats is that they can be folded by pulling the hooks on top of the rear seats. Even then the seat doesn't fold completely and stops at an acute angle. This could have been done in a better way by at least providing a 60:40 split. I am not sure whether to call this a shortcoming but would have really liked to have something like a split/completely fold-able seat.
Santro has a double folding seat, I don't understand why this could not be provided in i10. As you mentioned, it would have been nice to have 60:40 split folding rear seats in case you need to carry more luggage.

Quote:
There is no remote provided with the stock music system. This is not a problem since I drive myself all the time but could have been a useful thing for the rear seat users
I have read several reviews of i10 magna owners who rejected i10 sportz for this very reason.

Quote:
Personally, never experienced this. As per my observation, the vents can be directed good enough not to interfere with ones hands on the steering. What position do you hold the steering in - is it 10:10? ( as hands of the clock at that time ).
My left hand is roughly at the 10 o'clock position on the steering wheel. It is always possible to move the AC vents away from this position, but I prefer to set the AC vents in such a way that the air flow is directed to the driver's face and chest. But the cold air ends up chilling the left hand on the steering wheel.

Its not a major issue, just a minor irritant. The workaround which I use is that I put the AmbiPur dispenser on the AC vents towards the driver's side. It blocks some cold air as well as directs the fragrance towards the driver.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:26   #37
BHPian

Servicing Details ( 2nd Service ) - Part 1

Details
  • The i10 2nd servicing is done at 9000 - 10000 kms or 6 months whichever is earlier.
  • This service includes oil change in addition to general checkup and washing
  • If the customer has any specific complaints - then the same are attended
I got the servicing done on 7th March 2009 ( 12-Sept-2008 was the purchase date ) with the odometer showing 5540 Kms.

Issues
  • If you refer to the earlier updates, I had faced the problem where i10 refused to start. This was finally attributed to some problem with the fuel. This had sown seeds of doubt in my mind since I wanted to be absolutely sure that there were no residues of that problem left over in the vehicle. So I explicitly requested for fuel injector and fuel tank cleaning.
  • The time between first and second servicing was also the time when I really started pushing the car around since the run-in period was over. Before the first service I avoided going beyond 2000 RPM as much as possible. But now was the time to explore the 4K+ RPM world in its juicy third gear. I really enjoyed the mid-range power of the Kappa engine and also at the same time realized how good this car would be on highway drives. However it was during this time that a rattling sound appeared which used to emanate from somewhere below the steering and was a kind of sound as if a loose screw is hitting walls of a small cavity. On flat roads this was not a problem but on slightest of uneven roads, this sound used to appear. Being a car enthusiast, this was a huge irritation for me and I wanted to get rid of this sound as soon as possible
  • The night drives had also made me unhappy regarding the intensity of headlamps. But I didn't want to go for an upgrade straight away because of warranty or any other issues. [ I am a bit finicky about playing around with any electricals with the vehicle unless it is absolutely necessary. This is the reason I even didn't go in for autocop that Hyundai was offering since I hate the sight of a brand new car's doors opened - pieces lying on the ground and wiring being touched ]. But headlamps being a disappointment , I finally decided to upgrade-to fog lamps and playing safe, decided to get the OEM ones installed from Hyundai itself.
  • I was also feeling the same accelerator pedal movement ( occasionally feeling an obstruction ) sometimes for which the accelerator cable was replaced in the last service. This was also reported.
  • Initial use of the brake pads after cold start ( first drive in the morning ) used to make a flute kind of sound. The sound disappeared after 2-3 minutes. This was also reported to make sure there was no issue with the brakes.
  • Driving on congested streets had taken its toll on Mr Kappa with a few scratches here and there which needed some touch up

Inside the Workshop

For servicing I try to reach workshop as early as possible. This prevents unnecessary waits and also gets you better attention because of less crowd ( especially true for HMP )

I reached the workshop around 8:30 AM.
  • I explained to service adviser that I needed fuel injector and fuel tank cleaning. But he insists that it is a new car and nothing should be required. I had to literally force my way through that I need it regardless of that. I don't know why are these guys so reluctant to do it
  • Then I asked for the fogs to be installed. Imagine the reply --> You should get the fogs installed from outside, it is not done by Hyundai. Oh man - I just asked him if a guy having an i10 Asta would have come with a broken fog, would he tell him the same thing. He had no answers. He went back and checked from someone and said later that it would be done. It really feels bad to deal with such people at times.
  • I told them to look at the accelerator cable issue as well. I was told that apparently length of the cable for i10 kappa had some problem and a new replacement would eliminate the issue
  • I finally told him about the the noise I hear from under-steering area and asked him to for a test drive with me. He asked someone from technical team to go with me. As expected, as soon as we headed for the uneven road, the noise/sound presented itself. The guy looked all around, removed-put back a few things, banged his hand here and there a few times around steering/dashboard but of no avail. He finally told me that it would possibly be something in power steering and that he'll check
I was told that installation of fogs would take time and that I will get the car next day only. Earlier I was a bit reluctant with this thought but finally decided to collect the car next day only.

Later in the day, I got a call from the service adviser that the accelerator cable issue had been fixed. The fuel tank/injector cleaning would be done shortly. He further told that they had tried to locate the noise I had mentioned but without success. They were suspecting it to be some issue with the steering motor. He further updated that they would start fog installation in late afternoon and could possibly spill over to the next day. I called him a couple of times later to make sure things were making progress and waited for the next day to take the delivery.

To be continued.....
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:40   #38
BHPian

Hi svaid,
Even i get that irritating sound somewhere between the steering and the front glass. I don't know how to describe it. Sounds like a light 'Kirrrrr'
continuosly.

Do let me know if you got it solved. My car is due for service on 3rd november. Exactly one year after i bought it
Old 23rd October 2009, 23:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Great long term review svaid. It will help me make a decision as the i10 is on my shortlist.

voted 5 stars
Old 24th October 2009, 13:45   #40
BHPian

fantastic review svaid whoever wants to know about i10 . this is the thread. long detailed and complete review.
Even i get that irritating 'kirrrr' sound , and have that reverse gear problem as well.

i have a problem which i saw yesterday,small tube like pipe which supplies water to the rear wiper is chopped of by the menacing rats at the extreme top left corner inside the hood . Do the hyundai guys charge for this.

My car is due for 3rd service on 4th november (6897 km ) .Wll change thoes OEM bulbs with Osram Night Breakers.

cheers
karthi!k
2008 Hyundai i10 1.2 Kappa sportz
Old 24th October 2009, 13:58   #41
BHPian

Servicing Details ( 2nd Service ) - Part 2

Work Done
  • I went the next day to collect the car. It was standing tall and handsome with the fogs installed. Since it was daytime, really couldn't judge the difference they would make wrt lighting.
  • The adviser told me how to use them. Essentially, on the right side of the steering towards the driver side door, there is a switch provided which needs to pressed for fog lamps to work. However, the connectivity is such that if you just press that switch, the fogs wont light up. They would light up once you have rotated the knob used for activating headlight by one click. This doesn't mean that you cannot use fogs without head lamps being illuminated. It just means that fog gets activated only when you really want some kind of lighting which you indicate using that knob.
  • The accelerator paddle was also now smooth and looking good after replacement of the cable.
  • Regarding the noise from under steering, he told me that they were unable to detect the noise in external components. The only possibility could be that the noise is coming from steering motor. He told me that since the car is under warranty, I should get the whole steering assembly replaced and that would eliminate the issue. He told me to come some other day in morning so that this job could be done. Further he said, that the assembly would be required to be ordered since they didn't have one right now at HMP. I was not happy with this but decided to address this problem separately since I was given confidence by multiple technicians there that the issue was not a show stopper at all and I could drive without worrying about that noise.
  • Total bill amount was Rs 5364. The main component was the fog lamp installation only. Rest was the cost of the Shell Premium Engine Oil as given below
  • i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-2nd-service.jpg
  • I had explicitly requested for fuel tank/injector cleaning but this was not mentioned on the bill. So I had a argument with the adviser but he assured me that it had been indeed done and that it is not mentioned explicitly. A couple of technicians whom I had interacted earlier also endorsed the same.

Query for fellow owners
- Have you also seen any similar thing that at times the service bill is not mentioning about some work that has been done?

Comments on Workshop Experience
  • One of the areas I was totally unhappy about was the cleaning of the car. Because of installation of fogs, guys from the workshop would have sat/taken support of the drivers seat for the work and as a result of which there were a lot of black spots on front driver seat, dashboard region around the steering and driver side door. There were also some spots on rear side of the seat and roof of the car. Car was being claimed ready for delivery but it looked like no cleaning had actually been done. When I pointed this angrily to the service adviser, he quickly called couple of guys who would now do the cleaning to my satisfaction in another 15 minutes.
  • While the cleaning was happening, I noticed that even the touch up had not been done. When I again pointed this out, I was given a few excuses and immediately another guy was called to do the touch up. I had to wait for another 15-20 minutes to make sure everything was being done the way I wanted.
  • After another 15 minutes, I decided to take a test ride to make sure all was looking well except for the under-steering noise. I found everything to be fine
  • While you do the payments for the service bill, a feedback form is also given by Hyundai to list your experience at the workshop. I was so upset by now on how the billing/cleaning/touch-up etc had been done that I gave a nice negative feedback. This was the time when the adviser ( who was standing besides me ) realizing that he would be up for questioning once this feedback form is reviewed - started pleading that I change my rating from <Below Satisfaction> to <Satisfactory> since he eventually got all the job done corresponding to what I had requested. I couldn't take it anymore and gave him my piece of mind loud enough for him to get embarrassed amongst a large number of on-lookers.
Request to fellow owners - I would request fellow Hyundai owners who get servicing done at HMP Mathura Road to suggest any good advisers there who know their work and do it well. If nothing else, in future services - I will try to request for that adviser only so that these kind of unnecessary issues are not faced. Please update either in this thread or PM me the information.

Post Service Experience
  • The under-steer sound remained a irritant. I could never get time to give car for another couple of days for them to address the problem. Neither did anyone from HMP called to tell me that any steering part had arrived for me. Conclusion - Dont bank on any service station/personnel, even if they are the best. Issues are going to get resolved only if the owner is persistent and ready to devote time on the same.
  • Fog lamps are beneficial and provide better light but they still dont solve the problem. The stock headlamp lighting is inadequate. For roads with no street lights, the best combination that works for me is to put high beam at a longer throw and light fog lamps in parallel to ensure good near visibility.
  • Accelerator problem did get eliminated. After the 2nd service, I never faced any issues in this context.
  • After the service, the car felt more smooth and was more eager to be taken in to corners as opposed to what it felt earlier.
Old 24th October 2009, 14:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Please pardon my ignorance, I have never seen a gear lock installed in i10. Could you please post another photo with the gear lock in place. Thanks in advance.
Rohan, I will surely do it. Sorry for the delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have read several reviews of i10 magna owners who rejected i10 sportz for this very reason.
I think it is a bit harsh to reject variant of a vehicle just because of absence of the remote in the music system. I do agree that it would have been very useful addition but should not become a deal breaker IMHO. On the other hand if it is really the case that a lot of owners are rejecting sportz variant for this very cause - then Hyundai should look at it seriously.

If I really look critically at the Sportz variant, actually there is nothing really SPORTY about it. Giving body coloured door handles/spoiler/rear wiper/defogger/seat back pockets/Seatbelt warning light/integrated music system dont really make a variant distinguished enough to be called as SPORTZ. And if I even become more critical, then the pricing ( assuming no discounts ) is also not VFM.

If Hyundai could not offer a sporty suspension in the SPORTZ variant, I was atleast expecting ALLOYs and FOGs in it ( Alloys for that matter are not even there in ASTA ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Even i get that irritating sound somewhere between the steering and the front glass. I don't know how to describe it. Sounds like a light 'Kirrrrr' continuosly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjeevan View Post
Even i get that irritating 'kirrrr' sound
Does it happen only on uneven roads OR do you experience it otherwise also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarman_008 View Post
This is one of the detailed and nicely written review on i10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensi View Post
Brilliant review! The content is thorough - like someone said - gives a complete picture of an i10. (i10 for Dummies)
Quote:
fantastic review svaid whoever wants to know about i10 . this is the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Great long term review svaid. It will help me make a decision as the i10 is on my shortlist.
voted 5 stars
Thanks folks for sparing time to read the content and appreciating the effort.

Quote:
i have a problem which i saw yesterday,small tube like pipe which supplies water to the rear wiper is chopped of by the menacing rats at the extreme top left corner inside the hood . Do the hyundai guys charge for this.
I think they may charge for it if the reason is external ( RATS ) as opposed to any technical problem leading to the issue. This pipe thing might be a smaller problem but if your car is vulnerable to RATS, I would recommend going through the following thread ( if not already done so )

[http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-car-rats.html]

before RATS could do any further damage.
Old 25th October 2009, 05:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Does it happen only on uneven roads OR do you experience it otherwise also?
It happens all the time svaid A few minutes after i start driving it.
Old 25th October 2009, 10:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:

Issues
However it was during this time that a rattling sound appeared which used to emanate from somewhere below the steering and was a kind of sound as if a loose screw is hitting walls of a small cavity. On flat roads this was not a problem but on slightest of uneven roads, this sound used to appear.

The night drives had also made me unhappy regarding the intensity of headlamps. But I didn't want to go for an upgrade straight away because of warranty or any other issues.

Initial use of the brake pads after cold start ( first drive in the morning ) used to make a flute kind of sound. The sound disappeared after 2-3 minutes. This was also reported to make sure there was no issue with the brakes.

svaid,

I also had the rattling under the steering problem. I took it to HMP in chennai. He also sent a person for a road test and he was able to hear the noise. The noise was like a "tang tang tang" when the car was shaking (i.e over rough roads). They took it back to the workshop, lifted the car from the ramp. They told me that "Steering box has a shield to protect it from dust. One of the locks that holds this box had snapped and it was fixed." We then road tested again and the sound was gone. The Technician who came with me for the Road test told me that the lock is fragile and can be snapped even by small stones from the road. Do check on this.

I and a fellow BHPian who owns i10 upgraded to philips xtreme power. You can check my review in the "Accessory/Part reviews" thread.

I too hear the noise when the pads are cold. My back brake drums squeal like a female ghost in a horror movie. It does not impact braking and I learnt to live with it.

Strange problem:

I'm experiencing this problem recently. In 2nd and 3rd gear, when I rev the car upto 3000 RPM and release the throttle, the car makes a strange "Krrrrr Krrrr" sound when the RPM is falling. This noise comes exactly when the Engine rev drops from 2k to 1.5 K RPM and also when revved in this range. Have you or anyone experienced this problem ?

Keep up the good Work. I also rated 5 stars

Last edited by para_7k : 25th October 2009 at 10:18. Reason: Incorrect thread name corrected.
Old 25th October 2009, 15:51   #45
BHPian

Good observation para_7k!! Now that you have told this, i will check the rpm range when i am getting this problem!

Most Viewed