Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 09:33   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes thanks for making the correction - however, the mahindra spares division refer to this as the pintle hook.

the drawing which you attached in your post is exactly representative of the one I had put on my earlier Bolero and which used to be fitted on to our old jeeps and which are visible on most army jeeps.

this trailer hitch comes along as standard in many Range Rovers, Land Rovers and other utility vehicles which I have seen towing trailers on farms and other such places.
and it is a standard fitment on the 4x4 scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is just a ball hitch or trailer hitch. Pintle hook will have a locking/closing pin system. I have a pintle hook in my Jeep. Some pintle hooks have ball hitches on the lower arm.

Attachment 210406
Old 15th October 2009, 09:59   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The surplus sulphur plays havoc inside the engine, the sensors, even the BS-IV compliant engine oil that's supposed to be used. Result: Fouled engine, poorer performance, lower mileage than what a BS-III engine can manage.

Therefore, no BS-IV for me. Not any time soon!
Boy, that was some serious gyaan by your friend at Shell, and yes, it certainly does make sense. Thank you for putting it across for all of us to know. What would be the mileage difference between a 4X2 and a 4X4 when used in normal 2WD mode?? Any idea or figures from the dealer??
Old 15th October 2009, 10:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

So it is finally here, Heartiest Congratulations. Now, less of the Kolkata trips & more of Himachal & Ladakh

Dhanteras & a Thursday as well - excellent day to take delivery!!
Old 15th October 2009, 10:17   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

sorry SS Traveller - bad manners!
should have congratulated you first for the purchase of your new 4WD monster.
Have a great time with it and may it give you lots of fun!
Old 15th October 2009, 10:25   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
What would be the mileage difference between a 4X2 and a 4X4 when used in normal 2WD mode?? Any idea or figures from the dealer??
No info from the dealer, but my rough guesstimate would be 0.5-1 km/l reduction in FE in comparison to the 2WD mHawk Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
So it is finally here, Heartiest Congratulations. Now, less of the Kolkata trips & more of Himachal & Ladakh

Dhanteras & a Thursday as well - excellent day to take delivery!!
Thanks, suman! This day happens to be the final postponed date since September 19th.

HP, Ladakh, sure. But Kolkata trips are still on - probably one coming up in end-December. I am inclined to head north from Kolkata too. There are places in Garhwal and Kumaon which I'd like to visit but never dared till now with a sedan. Nepal is uncharted territory on t-BHP, and I've always wanted to head out there by road. Join me next year?
Old 15th October 2009, 10:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nepal is uncharted territory on t-BHP, and I've always wanted to head out there by road. Join me next year?
Next year? Not sure...but if we hit the mountains, it will either be the Spiti loop or a Leh repeat
Old 15th October 2009, 10:40   #37
BHPian

Many congratulations Dada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller;1532915
.......[I
What he had to say opened my eyes and left my mouth agape[/i]! BS-IV compliant diesel engines require the use of ultra-low sulphur diesel (ULSD), with a level of sulphur less than 15 ppm. Despite notifications that BS-IV standards would be implemented in Delhi-NCR and 10 cities by April 2010, there is apparently no way as of now that ULSD can be made available to the customer so soon. For one, the refineries do not produce ULSD. For another, the 15 ppm limit cannot be maintained because of the manner in which the fuel is pumped through the pipelines.

To separate diesel of different batches, a "plug" of kerosene is used inside the pipeline. Now this kerosene plug is supposed to be discarded once one batch of fuel reaches the distributor, but for obvious reasons it is not, and is allowed to mix into the diesel, contaminating it. Kerosene, being a high
sulphur fuel, contributes both towards increasing the sulphur content of
diesel as well as the profits of the distributors! And currently, there is no way the government /oil cos. / refineries can put an end to this practice.

The surplus sulphur plays havoc inside the engine, the sensors, even the BS-IV compliant engine oil that's supposed to be used. Result: Fouled engine, poorer performance, lower mileage than what a BS-III engine can manage.......
That is a big eye opener!

Last edited by breezydrive : 15th October 2009 at 10:41.
Old 15th October 2009, 10:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations.!
How about posting some pictures of Interior fixtures?
Cheers
Old 15th October 2009, 10:42   #39
Team-BHP Support

Aha, finally, she's here. Congrats doc. So when is she coming for the SUV trail blazing?
Old 15th October 2009, 10:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
sorry SS Traveller - bad manners!
should have congratulated you first for the purchase of your new 4WD monster.
Have a great time with it and may it give you lots of fun!
Thanks, shankar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Next year? Not sure...but if we hit the mountains, it will either be the Spiti loop or a Leh repeat
Leh repeat plus Spiti loop - that sounds nice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Many congratulations Dada!
That is a big eye opener!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Congratulations.!
How about posting some pictures of Interior fixtures?
Thank you. More pics soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Aha, finally, she's here. Congrats doc. So when is she coming for the SUV trail blazing?
Thanks Tanveer. Whenever - soon as it's run in. Better still, check Suman's suggestion above!
Old 15th October 2009, 10:58   #41
Team-BHP Support

Aah Spiti. We plan to do it around early april end march, when the last you can go is till losar, the snow has still not melted, and the river is still partially frozen.
Old 15th October 2009, 11:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Leh repeat plus Spiti loop - that sounds nice...
Nope, I want to keep these separate - its a nightmare trying to get so many days off & I don't want to rush through Spiti setting land speed records
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Aah Spiti. We plan to do it around early april end march, when the last you can go is till losar, the snow has still not melted, and the river is still partially frozen.
Sounds good but I was thinking more around mid May-early June - hopefully there'd still be quite a bit of snow then?

We need to "meat" up sometime to discuss these endless possibilities
Old 15th October 2009, 11:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
HP, Ladakh, sure. But Kolkata trips are still on - probably one coming up in end-December. I am inclined to head north from Kolkata too. There are places in Garhwal and Kumaon which I'd like to visit but never dared till now with a sedan. Nepal is uncharted territory on t-BHP, and I've always wanted to head out there by road. Join me next year?
Congratulations for your new baby! Once in Kolkata, Assam/Meghalaya/Arunachal is not too far. A drive to Tawang will be cool!
Old 15th October 2009, 11:14   #44
BHPian

Doc, Congrats - any tips on how you tested 4WD without taking it offroad (during PDI or during delivery?). Interiors are Beige I assume.
Old 15th October 2009, 11:16   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

SS-Traveller:

Congratulations on your buy. I think at 10 Lakhs ex-showroom the Mhawk 4WD with ABS is a good buy. I almost got one myself. Before I booked one, I happened to find another 4WD vehicle so my Scorpio 4WD plans are on hold for now.

Don't worry about the FE as the difference in mileage between the 2WD and 4WD mhawk is negligible. This vehicle has Free Wheeling hubs in the front so the front hubs are not engaged when you are in 2WD mode. The main difference from a 2WD models is the additional weight of the 4WD System which shouldn't be more than about 80 kgs in all. So it is pretty much like having an additional passenger on board all the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks