Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 11:08   #151
Team-BHP Support

Safari 4x4 has a LSD in rear axle, which is heavier than the normal axle.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:11   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
When you get a chance, could you please give us a photo of the front differentials and torsion bar suspension set up. I am just curious as I have never seen a 4x4 scorpio close by.
Here go some pics from the underside of the torsion bar-sprung 4x4 system.
Attached Thumbnails
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-suspension-1k120.jpg  

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-suspension-2k120.jpg  

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-suspension-3k120.jpg  

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-suspensionk120.jpg  

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-suspension-4k120.jpg  

Old 13th November 2009, 19:36   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thanks buddy.

Looks pretty solid and sturdy.
Old 14th November 2009, 00:06   #154
BHPian

Doc,
Your front shocks seem to be "samples" from Monroe (see sticker in first pic). Need to check how your version's shocks are different from mine. They may have made some more improvements.

Cheers,
Old 14th November 2009, 08:32   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

@Roshun:

I think the spring and shocks were revised when the Mhawk was launched due to the lighter engine. The 4WD version may have a slightly different once with the added weight of the 4WD system. The good thing though is that Mahindra is always improving/updating their product.
Old 14th November 2009, 15:40   #156
Senior - BHPian

wow those are some cool pics SST, also superb FE figures as well.
Is it possible to change this new front bumper to older one or does mahindra provide older one,this is something that doesnt gel well with scorpio.
Old 14th November 2009, 18:30   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Doc,
Your front shocks seem to be "samples" from Monroe
What'd you expect doctors to get? "Samples"! from pharmaceutical cos. to shock absorber manufacturers, they're all trying to give us samples! Kya karein...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
wow those are some cool pics SST, also superb FE figures as well.
Is it possible to change this new front bumper to older one or does mahindra provide older one,this is something that doesnt gel well with scorpio.
Hi vijay, first time someone described the underside of a car as cool.

The new bumper was designed to prevent splashes rising on to the windscreen from the front wheel, when driving at speed thru water. No reason to go retro.

And the latest FE? 13.66 km/l (290.6 km on 21.27 l). When trailblazing, it was 11.8 km/l.
Old 9th December 2009, 22:19   #158
BHPian

The BS3 to BS4 comparison above is a eye opener. I almost had booked a BS4 VLX Scorpio recently . As it was not readily available , i had to go for BS3 VLX .

The info above is really eye opener for us . Imagine having the latest model and this doesn't drive well or have fuel quality related issues .!!!!!
Old 9th December 2009, 22:35   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
The BS3 to BS4 comparison above is a eye opener. I almost had booked a BS4 VLX Scorpio recently . As it was not readily available , i had to go for BS3 VLX .

The info above is really eye opener for us . Imagine having the latest model and this doesn't drive well or have fuel quality related issues .!!!!!
Good for you that you didn't go for BS-IV. Starting April 2010, all metros, beginning with Delhi-NCR, will compulsorily get BS-IV standard vehicles. So what does the government do about fuel quality? The sulphur content of fuel supplied in metros is supposed to be reduced to 50ppm (officially! ). And what are wanderers like us supposed to then do when travelling out of town? Suffer in silence, what else!
Old 11th December 2009, 10:05   #160
BHPian

A tank full of disel has a 700 Kms range in the highway. As rightly pointed out , what do we do when we go out of town ?

With Vehicles like Scorpio made for highways , it would be very difficult situation to take it out with no fuel available in the vicinity

With quality of fuel already questionable on the highways , god knows what will be the situation with BS4 in place ?
Old 12th December 2009, 22:09   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: 1st service

First service done today at 4952 km at Koncept Auto, Okhla, New Delhi. Jobs done include:
  • Engine oil (6L) & oil filter changed
  • Front and rear diff oil changed
  • Air filter check (replacement not required)
  • IRVM back (light and rain sensor) cover rattling - fixed
  • Foglamp beams adjusted
  • Wheel alignment checked
  • Front right door noise - adjusted
  • AC particle filter cleaned
  • MicroHybrid malfunction - clutch pedal sensor adjusted
  • Windshield washer fluid filled
  • Washing and cleaning done
Total bill: Rs.2005. Time taken: 5 hours.

Overall experience:
Old 15th December 2009, 22:36   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Delhi traffic drew first blood this afternoon...
Worth approximately 2k with the dealer, but thankfully worth 1k ...victim of brutality committed on ORVMs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
LOL - why live with it when it can be changed?
Funnily enough, I never changed the ORVM. It's still holding on with a bit of Araldite and FeviKwik. Checked with the dealer, and the price was Rs.1500 for the motorized ORVM, and Rs.1400 for the (older) manual ORVM. Just a difference of Rs.100...

One more question I had for the dealer was about the hubs on the Scorpios being two different types, after it was pointed out on this forum (I forget where) that the wheel hubs can be either flat or extended - as below:
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-abcd00081.jpg
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-abcd00091.jpg

One of the answers I got was that the flat hubs came with non-ventilated discs in the lower-spec Scorps, and the longer, extended hubs came with ventilated discs. On inspecting the other cars there, I figured that this was not the case, as flat hubs also came with ventilated front discs. All I can figure out from this is that there were essentially two designs, and the longer hub made for a slightly more butch look (and also happens to be more expensive - I don't remember the price). Since there is no critical component covered by these hubs, breakage doesn't matter either - the car will keep running.

Could other owners please clarify what kind of hubs you have, and also whether you have ventilated discs or not?
Old 16th December 2009, 00:38   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

SSTraveller:

Regarding hub caps. The pre-refresh VLX Scorpios came with the extended hub caps that stick out. The reason being that Mahindra wanted to use the same hub cap for 2WD and 4WD.The 2WD can actually do with the smaller hub cap and since the refreshed Mighty Muscular(in Skirts) Scorpio with the 2WD comes with the smaller hub caps.

The 4WD on the other hand will accommodate only the larger hub caps due to the fact that the front wheel have the electric hub locks covered by the extended hub caps. If you remove your front wheel you will see what I mean. The rear of the 2WD and 4WD are the same and both can accommodate the smaller hub caps, but for aesthetic reasons the rear of the 4WD is kept in sync with the front using the extended hub caps.

In case of 4WD scorpios the electric hub locks are covered by the cover so if you remove the cover, you will see an ugly cylyndrical object sticking out just like in the Tat Safari that shares the same electric hub lock.

And as you correctly figured out, this has nothing to with ventilated or non-ventilated discs.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2009, 08:37   #164
Senior - BHPian

mine has the extended hub caps & mine is a 2WD. mahindra introduced these flat hub caps as there were lot of instances of these breaking & sourcing them was difficult too.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:21   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
mine has the extended hub caps & mine is a 2WD. mahindra introduced these flat hub caps as there were lot of instances of these breaking & sourcing them was difficult too.
Raj: All pre-refresh mhawk VLX versions and OEM alloys like yours came with the extended hub caps. Now they have gone to small hub caps for 2WD versions. But I was pointing out that for 4WD version, you have to use the extended hub caps for the front wheels as the wheels cover the electric hub locks (free wheeling hubs). The rear wheels on a 4WD can accomodate the smaller caps, but it will look odd with the front being extended.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks