Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2011, 13:09   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!

Lets verify what these Mahindra fellows are up to.

I have worked closely with Total Lubricants in Dubai and this is what I advocate.

Mineral Oil - 5,000 KM oil and filter change
Semi Synthetic blend - 10,000 KM oil and filter change

No more than this limt compromise for a Diesel Engine.

If it is a petrol engine then 4,000 KM oil change and 8,000 KM Oil and filter change is the extreme limit with Mineral Oil.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 13:12   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
That's unfortunate. Did you check the relevant fuse(s)?

Wasn't even aware that there is a Gurgaon MGE happening tomorrow. Even MGE's Events page on FB doesn't have it listed. So much for Mahindra Rise(ing)!

I think it is a gas leak. I had told Mahindra service centre ( Sterling Motors ) that there is a constant relay switch on and off click in the car. They said they have fixed it. Once the Scorpio came back there was a hissing sound whenever the AC was turned on and finally the Gas escaped, if there was a fault with fuses then the AC light would not turn on.

As regards the illustrous Great Escape - it was there on the GE website, if not on Facebook. We got to know through our NIOC yahoo group mails. If you did not attend, you missed nothing the event was a disaster. Not from Mahindra but from Northern Motorsports who had no idea what off roading is all about.
Mahindra cannot be blamed - they were conned by Northern Motorsports novices.
On their part Mahindra trucked dozens of 4WD Scorpios and Thars from Nasik and let them have it.
Over 3 dozen service crew and Sterling Motors staff were at hand but the Chief Marshal and the course clerk had to know how to use the manpower at hand. They were rank inexperienced green horns. It is one thing to be an event management company and get some DJ to perform a disco a self drive off road is a different set of skills alltogether.
We went 2 KM off road and returned to base after utter confusion, chaos and mismanagement by some high ego organizers. We the NIOC were mere silent spectators.

Last edited by desertfox : 28th August 2011 at 13:20. Reason: more teaxt
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 20:23   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I think it is a gas leak. I had told Mahindra service centre ( Sterling Motors ) that there is a constant relay switch on and off click in the car. They said they have fixed it. Once the Scorpio came back there was a hissing sound whenever the AC was turned on and finally the Gas escaped, if there was a fault with fuses then the AC light would not turn on.
That's actually a sign of excess AC gas than the circuit can take. Had happened once in my Bolero Storm also. Anyways as the gas has already leaked, you want them to do a pressure test and find the leakage point.

Cheers
Old 2nd September 2011, 22:07   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

The yellow ABS light + the red parking brake light came on a few days ago on NH58. Braking wasn't affected though, and a quick check showed no loss of brake oil or signs of leakage of oil anywhere, or of air from the booster hoses.

At the ASC, the DTC code said the rear wheel speed sensor is the culprit (code 180B - WSS erratic - rear). Since loosening of the WSS can also pop up the code, the WSS was removed and refitted properly and the DTC healed. No ABS light now, but if it recurs, the WSS will be replaced. ABS pulsating fine as of now.

Since the last oil change was 7500+ km ago, I decided to also change the engine oil and filter. Some squeaks and rattles from the left front seat and roof rails was taken care of. The fog lamps had fogged(!) up, and the right lamp was not available, so the left lamp only was replaced under warranty. A quick wash of the car, and I was out of there.

Time taken: 4 hours (9 AM - 1 PM).
Damages: Rs.2415.
Old 15th October 2011, 14:44   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

It's H-4®'s 2nd birthday today, with 51191 km on the odo.

The 50k km service took place yesterday. Work done:
  • Gear oil changed. Rs.359 + tax.
  • Front left damper broken from lower mounting - replaced under warranty. I was told I would have to pay for it, but this was the third incidence of damper failure, and I was furious anyway - the SA (someone I had not dealt with before) had the cheek to tell me "aap zyada rough chalate hain". Both the front dampers had been replaced 19k km ago in January 2011, and now this! The SA got an earful. GM approved work to be done under warranty. Only the bushing kit paid for (Rs.85).
  • Front hubs (ALH) greased. SA had already got me irritated first thing in the morning by telling me "hub greasing toh nahin hota hai - iska sab sealed hub hai". Rs.880 + tax + Rs.72 for grease.
  • Brake pads checked personally - some life still left in the originals. I am surprised and impressed how long the pads have been working.
  • The front left seat squeaks when I drive alone. It's been doing that since the last one-and-a-half years. I want a permanent solution to it. SA greases it every time, noise disappears for a few days, only to return. This time, they give up. They've asked me to email to customer care about this. I'm looking forward to doing that.
  • Rear suspension linkrod bushes replaced. Rs.800 (parts) + Rs.550 (labour) + tax.
  • Tyres rotated, alignment checked and found ok.
  • Right fog lamp not in stock, though I was told a week ago (when I was travelling) that it was in stock. Apparently some 70 fog lamps had been replaced in the interim, and I didn't come in time to get the replacement done. What's with every Scorpio requiring fog lamp replacement?
  • Car washed and delivered.
Time taken: 8 hours (9:30 AM - 5:30 PM)
Damages: Rs.4756.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 15th October 2011 at 14:47.
Old 15th October 2011, 15:04   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the SA (someone I had not dealt with before) had the cheek to tell me "aap zyada rough chalate hain". Only the bushing kit paid for (Rs.85).
, replaced both dampers or only one?

Quote:
Front hubs (ALH) greased. SA had already got me irritated first thing in the morning by telling me "hub greasing toh nahin hota hai - iska sab sealed hub hai". Rs.880 + tax + Rs.72 for grease.
Which Grease?

Spike
Old 15th October 2011, 15:19   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
, replaced both dampers or only one?
Just the one. That too after I blew my top somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Which Grease?
Says Grease AP3; part no. OILGR-44 on the bill.
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:10   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0191k150.jpg
55,000 km on the odo. Time for an oil change. So I headed out to Koncept's new workshop at F-18, Okhla Phase 1, which is specifically dedicated to the XUV500 and Scorpio. Not too many customers here yet, and mine is the #1 car to report at 9:15AM.

Oil & filter changed. Surprise, surprise. The mech tried to open the oil filter with a strap type tool, then went and fetched the special tool that Spike had mentioned a long time ago (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2044333). This particular tool had not made its appearance in the other workshop all this time despite my repeatedly poking them about it. Here, in the new workshop, it's there! I'm happy.

Air filter looked a little dirty, been some time since the last change - so out that went too.

Doors (esp. the rear door) were making little rattling noises at a particular RPM. The clutch pedal was squeaking. FL seat had not stopped squeaking since ages. All of this taken care of.
Quote:
And no one dared

Disturb the sound of silence
For my car, Mahindra has risen - until this workshop gets too popular and is overrun by too many cars and too few competent workers...

Or did Mahindra Rise for rjstyles69's Scorpio?
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0190ed.jpg

Old 5th January 2012, 10:18   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting odo reading came up on 30 Dec 2011.
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-dsc06677k80.jpg

The fog has been heavy (as is usual every year), and I decided to fix a high-intensity rear fog lamp after being almost rear-ended a few days ago. I hate using the hazard lights in fog anyway, plus the Scorpio goes beep-beep-beep-beep when the blinkers are on - pretty distracting. Here's the result...

On NH8...
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-dsc06684edk80.jpg

This one was taken today near Bhikaji Cama Place...
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-20120105-07.21.04k80.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 19:43   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Been a while since the rear door (and a lot other stuff) of the Scorpio kept rattling around 1500-1800 rpm - progressively getting worse. Multiple attempts by service centre would eliminate the issue for a few days (or was it psychological?) and the rattle would return with a vengeance. Finally seem to have fixed the noise over the weekend.

Issues addressed included:
1. The plastic bit supporting the lower edge of the door appears to have flattened out somewhat - lifted it up with a layer of plastic padding below.
2. Door pad and speakers removed and refitted with intervening foam padding.
3. Front mount of forward facing 3rd row seat was rattling - removed the pins on both sides and re-fixed with washers and a layer of thread-seal tape. Also tightened the bolts fixing the clamps that the seat is mounted on.

No noise as of now. Only time will tell if I got my DIY right.
Old 29th January 2012, 21:24   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Been a while since the rear door (and a lot other stuff) of the Scorpio kept rattling around 1500-1800 rpm - progressively getting worse. Multiple attempts by service centre would eliminate the issue for a few days (or was it psychological?) and the rattle would return with a vengeance.
These ASCs . I have similar problem in my safari, with the difference that it rattles in all the rpms. The solution given by ASC (concorde motors) was to either replace the door itself or to get it cut and welded to create a groove to put an extra locking mechanism.
Old 29th January 2012, 21:35   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ @arindamray: These rattles can usually be fixed with DIY & the right tools, but take a lot of time. ASCs are averse to doing the job well because of the time factor. In fact, it took me 2 days of fixing-testing-fixing to eliminate all the noise. On the plus side, now I know which noise comes from where!
Old 1st March 2012, 21:43   #313
BHPian

Hi SS-Traveller

Just read your entire thread. Great feedback. Thank you.

I am planning to buy a Scorpio VLX 4wd MT by mid 2012. Ex-showroom price currently is 11.49L and on-road gurgaon is 12.7L

Do you think 4wd AT is worth considering if the daily drive in city is 100kms?

The Sales guy said that the 5000 km check-up service will cost around 4K and the bigger oil change service (15000 kms?) will cost about 8-9K.

This dosent seem to be the case reading your feedback, or am I missing something?

Do you know of the service experience of the A S S in Gurgaon/Delhi other than the one you go to regularly (Koncept) i.e. any to be avoided?

Cheers
Ankit
Old 1st March 2012, 22:03   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow
I am planning to buy a Scorpio VLX 4wd MT by mid 2012. ...
Do you think 4wd AT is worth considering if the daily drive in city is 100kms?
You travel off the beaten track, so stay away from AT.

Quote:
The Sales guy said that the 5000 km check-up service will cost around 4K and the bigger oil change service (15000 kms?) will cost about 8-9K.

This dosent seem to be the case reading your feedback, or am I missing something?
Hmm... that's a long story that I can explain in person once you get the car!

Quote:
Do you know of the service experience of the A S S in Gurgaon/Delhi other than the one you go to regularly (Koncept) i.e. any to be avoided?
I have not been to any ASC other than Koncept, so cannot comment; however, I am quite happy with them.
Old 20th March 2012, 00:08   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

The 60k km service cost a fair bit. Apart from routine replacement of diff oil (both diffs) and fuel filter element replacement, the front & rear stabilizer bar bushes and link rods needed replacement. Alignment, tyre rotation and L5 were done too. Add to that the fact that service charges have been hiked 25% from Rs.1600 to Rs.2000, the total climbed to Rs.7367 including a small discount.

The left side sky rack's front plastic cap has dropped off, and is not to be found at ASCs or any other spare parts / accessories stores. Someone please help - PM me if you locate it, and cost + courier charges will be borne happily!

Most Viewed