Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2009, 19:53   #121
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, the newer OVRMs of the Refresh Scorpio models are electrically adjustable. And IMO, they would cost a lot more than 2K. How come your known spare parts guy stocks it for 1K?

And how could you so simply & casually let him walk away..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Delhi traffic drew first blood this afternoon from my car. Was stopped in bumper-to-bumper traffic on Ring Road, an Eicher truck's tail on my left. A labourer/khalasi climbed down from the tailgate, lost his balance and used my ORVM to stabilize himself - and walked away.

Worth approximately 2k with the dealer, but thankfully worth 1k (original stuff) with my spare parts shop. Oh, the joy of owning a Mahindra!

Last edited by gd1418 : 25th October 2009 at 19:55.
Old 25th October 2009, 22:26   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
AFAIK, the newer OVRMs of the Refresh Scorpio models are electrically adjustable. And IMO, they would cost a lot more than 2K. How come your known spare parts guy stocks it for 1K?
Welcome to the pocket-friendly motorized ORVM! Why don't you change over to the same on your Scorpio? I can put you in touch with the spare parts guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
And how could you so simply & casually let him walk away..??
Aur kya karein? Park the car in the middle of traffic, get out and run after him, catch the guy and shake him upside-down, and extract paanch rupaiyah baraah anna out of him?
Old 26th October 2009, 01:36   #123
BHPian

Wow, Congrats on the purchase, and that too a 4WD M-Hawk Scorpio!

BTW, did you peel of the "sporty decals" (horrible patch- like stickers) on the VLX, or have Mahindra finally stopped sticking them on 10- lakh vehicles?

Quote:

Aur kya karein? Park the car in the middle of traffic, get out and run after him, catch the guy and shake him upside-down, and extract paanch rupaiyah baraah anna out of him?

Well, that's exactly what one should do. I did the same when some tempo driver did the same thing to my Astra some years back and a biker to my Laura a few months ago! Got the full money in the first case, recovered Rs. 2,100 in the second, as the chap was having only 2,500 with him. Gave 100 to the cop on duty at the spot who helped me to squeeze the chap, so in the end I got only 2000 bucks

Last edited by Yeldo : 26th October 2009 at 01:38.
Old 26th October 2009, 09:24   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Wow, Congrats on the purchase, and that too a 4WD M-Hawk Scorpio!

BTW, did you peel of the "sporty decals" (horrible patch- like stickers) on the VLX, or have Mahindra finally stopped sticking them on 10- lakh vehicles?
Thank you. No, the decals are still there, and are one of the few things I dislike about the car. But I wouldn't risk peeling them off for fear of paint damage.

Quote:
Well, that's exactly what one should do. I did the same when some tempo driver did the same thing to my Astra some years back and a biker to my Laura a few months ago! Got the full money in the first case, recovered Rs. 2,100 in the second, as the chap was having only 2,500 with him. Gave 100 to the cop on duty at the spot who helped me to squeeze the chap, so in the end I got only 2000 bucks
Good for you that you managed to get some compensation. But as folks residing in Delhi know, when stuck in a humongous traffic jam on the Ring Road that's crawling along at 3km/h, one can't really afford to get out of the car at all.

But then, what's the price of an ORVM for the Astra or Laura?
Old 26th October 2009, 14:09   #125
BHPian

Quote:
But then, what's the price of an ORVM for the Astra or Laura?
Well, it was around 17k for the mirror & assembly, plus painting, and also labour charges and taxes on top. I don't exactly remember, as it's my manager who takes care of such things. But it was 20k or thereabouts in total. There was also some minor polishing to cover up the scratches the bike made on the door.

The Astra I don't remember. It was 7 or 8 years back.

Last edited by Yeldo : 26th October 2009 at 14:12.
Old 27th October 2009, 13:16   #126
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

hi

you can actually remove the decals - this action wont damage the paint.
but you will need to stand there and ensure it is done properly - any good car accessory shop should be able to help you with this.

[quote=SS-Traveller;1548891]Thank you. No, the decals are still there, and are one of the few things I dislike about the car. But I wouldn't risk peeling them off for fear of paint damage.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:07   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...it was 20k or thereabouts in total.
Whew... I got away cheaply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
you can actually remove the decals - this action wont damage the paint.
Quote:
Thank you. No, the decals are still there, and are one of the few things I dislike about the car. But I wouldn't risk peeling them off for fear of paint damage.
I'm one of those lazy folks who wouldn't take too much trouble over aesthetics. Mechanicals, yes - beautification, never mind. I used to be bothered when seeing that scabies attack on other people's Scorps, but in almost 2 weeks of ownership (I completed 1000 km on the odo today), the stuff doesn't bother me from the inside. Other people's cars - now that's their problem.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:10   #128
BANNED

Ha ha
Scabies Attack indeed!!
I wonder why Mahindra does these funny things - I like the old Scorps very much - no nonsense, purposeful and solid. If only they would learn to "keep things simple"!

Quote:
Whew... I got away cheaply!

I'm one of those lazy folks who wouldn't take too much trouble over aesthetics. Mechanicals, yes - beautification, never mind. I used to be bothered when seeing that scabies attack on other people's Scorps, but in almost 2 weeks of ownership (I completed 1000 km on the odo today), the stuff doesn't bother me from the inside. Other people's cars - now that's their problem.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:12   #129
Team-BHP Support

In the event of body damage, these decals will need to be removed before tinkering.
In that case wont the paint under it be brighter than the rest of the car.

For this reason alone, I would recommend that they be removed asap.
Esp since you did not buy the 4*4 to keep it on the road but rather make your own road.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:28   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In the event of body damage...
Esp since you did not buy the 4*4 to keep it on the road but rather make your own road.
Going off-road = body damage?
Old 27th October 2009, 17:30   #131
Senior - BHPian

Sir what is the latest on beast, no drive plans, you can not sit quite like that
Old 27th October 2009, 17:39   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Scorpio can tow a fully loaded Trailer containing either tea leaves or Coffee bags. Possibly weighing 1.5 tons with full payload. It can certainly tow another Scorpio which means it can easily tow 2.5 tons.
I can vouch for the towing ability of the Scorpio 4x4. I towed a fellow Scorpio who snapped a fan belt on our Ladakh trip, from 2 km before Nakeela pass, across Nakeela (15,500 ft), (then went down Gata loops on its own power, using engine braking heavily), and towed it all the way to Sarchu... a distance of 52 kilometers!

In between, when the towed Scorpio's engine temp came down, we'd let it drive on its own power for 3-4 km and then when the temp went up, we'd stop and hitch up the tow cable and tow again, especially on the uphill climbs. Tow strap: 3-metre, 5-ton rated canvas straps, that gd1418 and I picked up, now with solid screw type 5-ton rated D-rings on either end.

On the same Ladakh trip there were 2 other towing ocassions. One at Pangong lake, where one of our gang's 2wd Scorps bogged down in sand. And another on the Indus river bed - some local 2wd Scorpio who had got royally stuck in the wet river sand.

My Scorp completely redeemed itself on the trip. No regrets having got the 4x4.

Cheers,

Last edited by Roshun : 27th October 2009 at 17:44.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:48   #133
BHPian

Congratulation on your new Hawk. A 4x4 mHawk, much awaited SUV for me, a real competitor for Safari 4x4.

Do you felt any difference in handling mHawk 4x4? Did you get a chance to engage 4H/4L? Was there any difference in fuel efficiency?

By the way, sorry about the OVRM, its all part of life. Keep driving.

Get a bull guard and a pair of Hella lights, your Hawk will Rock!
Old 27th October 2009, 17:55   #134
BANNED

well done Roshun!
Now you have loads of first hand towing experience to share with everyone!
thanks for sharing
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
I can vouch for the towing ability of the Scorpio 4x4. I towed a fellow Scorpio who snapped a fan belt on our Ladakh trip, from 2 km before Nakeela pass, across Nakeela (15,500 ft), (then went down Gata loops on its own power, using engine braking heavily), and towed it all the way to Sarchu... a distance of 52 kilometers!

In between, when the towed Scorpio's engine temp came down, we'd let it drive on its own power for 3-4 km and then when the temp went up, we'd stop and hitch up the tow cable and tow again, especially on the uphill climbs. Tow strap: 3-metre, 5-ton rated canvas straps, that gd1418 and I picked up, now with solid screw type 5-ton rated D-rings on either end.

On the same Ladakh trip there were 2 other towing ocassions. One at Pangong lake, where one of our gang's 2wd Scorps bogged down in sand. And another on the Indus river bed - some local 2wd Scorpio who had got royally stuck in the wet river sand.

My Scorp completely redeemed itself on the trip. No regrets having got the 4x4.

Cheers,
Old 27th October 2009, 18:02   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Going off-road = body damage?
NO.

But the probability of dents and knocks does increase.
Sharp thorns can easily rip the paint of one side.

off-road does not cause any body damage.
But it brings in situations and obstacles that can.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks