Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 18:18   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyway, repairs done, and here are the before-and-after pics. The Hawk-on-Fours (Ho4s) earned its studs today! I rather like them.

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-bumper1.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-bumper2.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-studs.jpg
Old 24th September 2010, 18:29   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Aha! Now this sounds like a juicy, masala story. Bring it on.
By the way, I did not get this tell-tail. I mean, from that pic I felt it is a small knobby kind of thingy peeping out from the bottom of the rear bumper but not entirely sure. Could you please elaborate what this exactly is in terms of functionality?
It is to tow other vehicles with! This attachment also allows you to attach a trailer to the SUV and drive off for a long weekend.
Old 24th September 2010, 20:33   #258
Senior - BHPian

@SS remove the truss head screw, I believe it is M6x1.0 size, if not then drill a hole and pass a bolt with washer through this, that would not look odd.

Spike
Old 24th September 2010, 21:39   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@SS remove the truss head screw, I believe it is M6x1.0 size, if not then drill a hole and pass a bolt with washer through this, that would not look odd.
Sounds like a good idea. Might just put in 2 more bolts on the right side corner too, to lend symmetry. Then it'll be the bolt-studded Ho4s!
Old 20th October 2010, 19:06   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) (the official name!) got a pair of brighter eyes yesterday - Philips Xtreme Power 80%+ 60/55W bulbs. 1100 INR for the pair. The lights were decent enough as such, and the original bulbs were also Philips (Made in Germany). There's @ 25-30% improvement in light intensity and reach.

The original bulbs went into the Swift, replacing it's Halonix, and what an instant improvement there!

Edit: 15 October was H-4®'s first birthday, with 26k km on the clock. The bulbs were a birthday gift of sorts!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 20th October 2010 at 19:11.
Old 14th January 2011, 22:17   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

32,850 km update

H-4® had its 30k km service done in the middle of December 2010, with the oil in both diffs changed, and a general checkup. The front damper units were found to be leaking but not completely gone, but since 4WD front dampers were not in stock, the change was deferred.

Took in H-4® for the damper change today @32,850km, along with attention to a noise issue when driving in 4WD mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Hawk-0n-Fours® started emitting a high-pitched low-intensity whine from both the front hubs when driving in 4WD (both high or low ratio). Hubs lock and unlock okay. No noise when in 2WD with hubs unlocked, but noise persists even in 2WD when hubs remain locked.
Also wanted to change the engine oil since it's been almost 9k km since the last change (I know, the recommended change is at 15k km, but I still prefer an early change, @ <10k km). However, what came as a shock was the labour charges asked for...
Quote:
The labour charge for only changing the engine oil & oil filter is a whopping Rs.550 + taxes.

It is a different matter that I got a substantial discount.
The noise issue was surprisingly simple, and nothing to do with hubs and differentials. The front prop shaft was being scraped by an extra-long bolt on a silencer clamp, and that was all there was to it! Take a look...

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-20110114-3k150.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-20110114-4k150.jpg

Bolt turned around and fully tightened to take care of the slight silencer leak. Both front dampers changed. No more noise. H-4® is back to running smooth and stable.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 14th January 2011 at 22:18.
Old 14th January 2011, 23:58   #262
BHPian

re: Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
By the way, I did not get this tell-tail. I mean, from that pic I felt it is a small knobby kind of thingy peeping out from the bottom of the rear bumper but not entirely sure. Could you please elaborate what this exactly is in terms of functionality?
Thats the rear tow hook if i am not wrong
Old 18th February 2011, 11:44   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick update: 35k km completed on 14 February, exactly 16 months after the car came to me. One pic of the meter reading - on 27 January 2011.
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0008k100.jpg

The automatic cruise control has stopped working since yesterday. One ASC trip due - have a free car wash coupon to utilise, and this cruise control issue to sort out. Spike, what usually goes wrong for CC to stop working?
Old 18th February 2011, 12:29   #264
Senior - BHPian

@SS Da, is the vehicle speed being displayed correctly in the Instrument cluster? Most probably it must be loose / faulty switches, connectors in the steering wheel area. The simplest thing which can go wrong are the Clutch / Brake switches, check them too!

Spike

PS- These electronic gizmos are beyond me
Old 18th February 2011, 15:15   #265
Senior - BHPian

@Doc: Shouldn't the temp guage be slightly lower than the mid way mark. All Scorp's as well as my Storm also its below half always. Please get your coolant or may be the whole circuit checked
Old 18th February 2011, 15:43   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@SS Da, is the vehicle speed being displayed correctly in the Instrument cluster? Most probably it must be loose / faulty switches, connectors in the steering wheel area. The simplest thing which can go wrong are the Clutch / Brake switches, check them too!

Spike

PS- These electronic gizmos are beyond me
Yes, speed display is fine. I agree, it must be one of the sensors/switches that went on holiday. No worries, what's the warranty for?

Oh, how I also long for a car without electronics - including ECUs and EFi and loads of such headaches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@Doc: Shouldn't the temp guage be slightly lower than the mid way mark. All Scorp's as well as my Storm also its below half always. Please get your coolant or may be the whole circuit checked
No, this was where it was right from the beginning. These bargraphs are awful - in fact, the fuel gauge shows 3 bars of the 8, when there's still 35 litres in the tank! And "Your Scorpio is running on reserve fuel" starts jabbering when I've still got 22 litres.
Old 18th February 2011, 15:57   #267
BANNED

I m surprised the electronics act crazy so soon. Looks like quality @ M&M too has begun to take a hit.
Old 18th February 2011, 16:08   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I m surprised the electronics act crazy so soon. Looks like quality @ M&M too has begun to take a hit.
I've had an issue with the MicroHybrid system early on during my ownership, and a switch which sensed the clutch pedal position was changed. A ten-minute job, which the ASC said was related to some bad vendor supplies in the earlier vehicles. Only saving grace is, these minor failures don't lead to a breakdown on the road, and can at best be described as minor irritants.
Old 18th February 2011, 22:44   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...some bad vendor supplies...
Bad vendor-supplied component rears its head again. Diagnosis of cruise control failure done - the brake light switch is permanently on. Needs replacement. CC works fine when switch is disconnected.

Mercifully, the brake light on the Scorpio is not direct wired to work with the ignition off, as in Marutis, but turns off after a delay timer relay trips, a few seconds after removing the ignition key. So I don't drain out the battery through constantly glowing brake lights when the car is parked.
Old 18th February 2011, 22:48   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bad vendor-supplied component rears its head again. Diagnosis of cruise control failure done - the brake light switch is permanently on. Needs replacement. CC works fine when switch is disconnected.
Dada, could you tell in detail what was done to correct this? I really wanna know.

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks