Team-BHP - What do I feel after 8000 kms? Grande Punto 1.3 - Emotion
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   What do I feel after 8000 kms? Grande Punto 1.3 - Emotion (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/68336-what-do-i-feel-after-8000-kms-grande-punto-1-3-emotion.html)

Actually it is more than 8500 km now. Well, after driving Indica V2 LSi for more than 5 years, it was time for me to look out for a new car for myself. I started looking out for options and with keeping Punto as my first priority. After lot of research and reviews I could not get off Punto on my mind and gifted myself the Red Italian head turner on August 6th 2009 and till date as on 29th Oct 09, I have completed around 8500+ KMs on it.

Here I’m sharing my experience so far on it with all of you.

Driving Comfort: ****
On completing 3700 Km (Navi Mumbai > A’bad > Jaipur > Agra > Delhi > Jaipur > A’bad and back to Navi Mumbai) in a stretch on Punto, I think I can justify my comments towards driving comfort on Punto.

I’m 5’11” and after driving Indica for almost 6 years, I could for sure right away feel the driving comfort on Punto. I was more confident and very relax throughout my journey. I was really impressed and happy to adjust my sitting posture as per my comfort in between my journey, which is really required when you drive a vehicle for longer duration. Although neck support is not that effective, but I guess that’s the case with all cars. I used pillow as per my comfort.

On Road Performance: ****
After completing 8500 KM and after driven it on Expressway, Highways, city roads and even on deep interiors of Rajasthan where there is no roads at all, the ride quality and handling on higher speed and on sluggish bumpy roads is balanced and brilliant.

I have taken it till 145 Km/Hr and I was not losing my confidence until my wife asked me slow down. I don’t deny about it’s the initial lag, but that’s fine with me. I was here to drive it on Indian roads, not in drag race. Cross 2500 RPM and you’ll feel your back pushing towards seat, there you’ll feel the actual power of engine.

The engine can be heard in the cabin on higher speed, but only when your music system is off. Well, I take it this way, when I speed up and hear the engine sound it feels to me like my car is saying …yes I can do it, I can run well and faster. ;) LoL

Breaking:****
ABS is a boon to such car, which tempts you not to take off your feet from accelerator especially on Express/Highways like NH8. Fortunately I got to experience it only once when a street dog came on road from nowhere and I had to hit the brakes, the car didn’t lose its grip on road and came to halt very softly.

Fuel Consumption: ****
3550KMs / 175 Ltrs = 20.2 KMPL (Approx). I guess quite an impressive figure, with an average speed of 110-120 km/hr. I guess, I need not to write on it.

Service Experience: ****
No major issues in the service department so far.

Interiors: ***
Queen size leg room for rear but King size in front. But can be managed if front seats are positioned wisely (not in super comfort position for front sitters). Dashboard is pretty clean and straight, you need to move much your hand all around to have access to control systems. I really miss the ARMREST in Punto.

Air Conditioning:****
AC is really quick and effective, tested in my recent trip to Rajasthan when I drove usually in day and had to park in open sky under sun while my lunch intervals at Dhabhas for 1-2 hrs.

Boot Space:***
Boot space is quite sufficient; I carried one computer monitor (CRT), CPU, two bags and many other small packets in it. (Computer was for my parents at Rajasthan).

Visibility from back view mirror is ok; I wish it should have more. But once you get used to it, it won’t bother you.

I like:
• Looks and Style.
• Extremely comfortable for long drives and so as for city drive as well.
• The steering is awesome.
• Mileage. Gives me around 17-18 in city (Navi Mumbai), and 20-21-odd on highways on around 2000-2500 rpm.

I Wish:
• Little tuned up engine to avoid that initial lag, but I can live with it.
• Armrest
• Music control on steering in Emotion variant.
• A little higher ground clearance.
• And a better music system and speakers. (Currently it comes with Blaupunkt FIAT 199CD SBO5 NEW STYLE CD RADIO)

I’ll totally recommend to those who wants refreshingly new and a car with good build quality, better road handling and for pure driving pleasure.

Friends, this is my first review on car so help me to point out the important things I have missed out.:)

Nice review. Enjoy the Punto. What is the mileage you are getting in city condition with AC on 100%?

A very nice write-up. The Punto is known to be stable at speeds in excess of 140 kmph, and I guess it's a boon for long distance travellers like you. The review is flawless IMO.

nice and balanced review:) actually the subject got me wondering if u were hinting at Pete'ing her post 8k!
On the armrest front, u can check Amogh's thread - he was/already has got the armrest fitted in his Punto

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandev (Post 1556222)
Friends, this is my first review on car so help me to point out the important things I have missed out.:)

You've missed out the pics, my friend ! :D

Otherwise, congratulations. Well written and glad you are enjoying you car. Where have you gotten your car serviced ? That is one area where we are dying to know FIAT / TATA's efficiency !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torque123 (Post 1556265)
Nice review. Enjoy the Punto. What is the mileage you are getting in city condition with AC on 100%?

Thanks Guys!

@ Torque123: With AC 100% on, I'm getting 17 within Navi Mumbai Traffic!

@ royalcruiser: Thanks for sharing info over Armrest, I'll definitely follow up with Amogh's thread.

@ Eddy: Pics are on its way :).

Here it is!

Taken at Sambhar Lake, Rajasthan!
Enjoy!

Excellent pics! I can see why you are besotted by the Punto...bet it was the long highway drive? The GP is outstanding on the highway. All the better for our driving conditions!

Congratulations and do drive safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1557708)
Excellent pics! I can see why you are besotted by the Punto...bet it was the long highway drive? The GP is outstanding on the highway. All the better for our driving conditions!

Congratulations and do drive safe.

Thanks GTO, I'm glad to have ur attention.

Guys here are few more:

Enjoy!

Nice report Sandeep and great pics. Ready to capture the deserts.

excellent pics and a nice report Sandeep.

You seem to be truly enjoying the Punto on open roads.

Guys, Pardon me for repeating a picture twice, here's few more:

Long way to go...taken at Sambhar Lake, Rajasthan

Taken somewhere before Jaipur on Delhi -Jaipur highway. My baby already started loving TeamBHP :).

Taken somewhere before Jaipur on Delhi -Jaipur highway.

Lovely report, all negatives and positives summarised very well, great pics too.

I loved the way you calculated the FE to give correct figures. 20 something is absolutely wonderful with the car running between 100 to 120 kmph.

Cheers,

And i thought your review was crisp, till i scrolled down and saw the pics, EXCELLENT!

Great car and you have done justice to it with your review. Do keep updating on a regular basis.

Nice crisp review & Awesome pics of stunning Red Punto!

Congrats, enjoy the Italian beauty!

Quote:

Originally Posted by finneyp (Post 1558183)
Nice crisp review & Awesome pics of stunning Red Punto!

Congrats, enjoy the Italian beauty!

Thanks Guys, :)

I'm glad you all liked the pics and review, I was bit cynical to post it as it was my first detail review.

One good thing I discovered in Punto's Music System is its Speed Volume feature. Once you accelerate and on higher speed the engine roars and the same time the volume of system increases/decrease proportionally. I liked the feature so that u need not to adjust volume everytime and keep ur handle over steering. And, yes ofcourse you can dis-engage the feature if you don't want it.

I didn't noticed or knew it earlier but when I found it, I was pretty impressed. Sharing with you all and may be informative for those who missed to notice; like me ;).

Cheers!