Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2005, 07:46   #1
BANNED

opel corsa sail 20,000 kms report

my sail just touched 20,000 on the speedo 2 weeks back...the experience of having this car was simplyy wonderful...till today i feel the car is brand new...it has never till 2day given me any kind of problems in driving...i have ahd zen and an indica..both used to give me alot of problems..but this car is simply too cool..i own a scorpio and a v-tec now...scorpio too started giving a few problems like the clippers in the interiors were coming off...the talking thing in the car started talking crap...and a few problems like that..v-tec hasnt given any problems and think it will never give any problem...
but what i am trying to say is that...i have known people who have palios zenz and other few hatchbacks..who keep on getting some problem or the other in their cars...like either the battery going low and p/s going off..screeching sound..belt problems...alternator problems...and all that ...but sail till today has not given a single problem...the car's price is around 4.50 lakhs..and at this price i really find this car VERRY RELIABLE and a real good buy....
now the thing i like about this car is that...it is good for city as well as highway drive...88 bhp...enough for a highway...personally have reached 185 in this car but a bhpian said that it has to be a speedo error...it still feels so good zooming this car....
interiors though are a bit old styled..are of good quality...the idea of those knobs is not that good...but when u use it u know that itll not come off or something in future..like in some cars it comes off breaks stops working...and the a/c too is really good of this car...
not many youngsters think of going for sail....they rather go for zen esteem swift wagon r...or they go for balena ohc or a lancer...nobody gives sail a thought..
the only reason i bought a sail was ...i had seen 1 red modified sail in lokhandwala...then i checked out about the car..i didnt even know about that car then...as it had just launched...saw 88 bhp...took a test drive..and bought a silver one...looks are pretty ok of the car nothing great..but trust me when it is modified ..it looks hot...have seen red black and yellow modified sails...and now you guys will get to see a blue colour...which will be mine..hehehe
the only thing that pinches me is that the average it gives is not mroe than 8...evrebody is getting around 10-11 and i am the only person who is getting not mroe than 8 after driving cooly normally not revving card....and yeah when you drive this car simply cooly ..it feels smooth good basic speed...but once you rev hard and drag this car...it really rocks...
it has not given me any kind of problem as yet...and i dont think it will give in future...no clutch problems..breaks are amazing...i was offered a lancer or a sail...i went for a sail...german engineering really has proved to be good....and about servicing and all...i dont understand why some people say gm has very bad after sales service...what kind of service do they talk about i do not understand...call up national garage anytime...tell them what you want ...do servicing or any parts...they will help you out ...even fiat..my friend owns 1..said there is absolutely no problem with the servicing.....
this beauty of mine has a very strong body and it never loses its control even a bit at high speeds...car is steady and perfect...
in short...big car feel in a small body...
1 more reason for buying this car was that it was the fastest hatchback available..that moment....had not heard of palio 1.6 gtx...i like the car but i dont like the feel of driving...i mean you cannot see anything in front..the bonnet..nothing...
and sail is a sweet smoooth easy to drive car....hope this review helps a few people to know what sail actually is...
dadudeonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2005, 08:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great report! A German car will always have a special feel to it and when you get that for 4.5 all the more better.
FE however is low and U need to get it checked up.
Some pics would be good too.
Old 2nd August 2005, 11:07   #3
BHPian

dude,
Dont get me wrong. Next time when you put down a review, Please put that down in a more presentable form. avoid too many "...." in the write up. And then organize it into sections and paragraphs and then add in details. Personally this one looks like a ranting for me.

Coming back to the car, sure its got some strong +ive and some -ives too.
-ive i faced in one year of owning is, rear seat leg room could have been bigger. Some people compare the leg room with that of zen, which is crazy. Also the price could have been less.

Quote:
1 more reason for buying this car was that it was the fastest hatchback available..that moment...
You forgot the 1.6... hee..
Old 2nd August 2005, 11:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey
..damn dude i was thinking of putting up my 23 000KM report anytime now ..

pros and cons ?
maintainence?

hey mods ..is it ok if i put a detailed report on a seperate thread ???
Old 2nd August 2005, 12:23   #5
BHPian

if u want an example, then

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
dude,
Dont get me wrong. Next time when you put down a review, Please put that down in a more presentable form. avoid too many "...." in the write up. And then organize it into sections and paragraphs and then add in details. Personally this one looks like a ranting for me.

if you want an example on how to write a long term reprt, look into my 7000kms report on Fusion+.

Old 2nd August 2005, 12:27   #6
BHPian

but seriously

Jokes apart,
that was a nice report.
Sail 1.6 was supposed to have been a direct competetor t GTX.
Gratifying to see good words about it.its ride quality is so good.
unfortunately, all of us can ony buy one or two cars at a time
do you think a second hand Sail 1.6 can safely be bought?
what do you suggest one should look for if they were to buy a second hand Sail 1.6?

wishing you many happy trouble free miles
Old 2nd August 2005, 12:48   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudeonfire
the only thing that pinches me is that the average it gives is not mroe than 8...evrebody is getting around 10-11 and i am the only person who is getting not mroe than 8 after driving cooly normally not revving card....
If you look at the corsasailusers Yahoogroup, you will find more people who get a similar average.

Not revving enough in each gear is also a cause for lower averages. Try and take it upto 2000 rpm at least in each gear before upshifting. I normally upshift anywhere between 2000 and 2500 rpm in each gear.

hrag
Old 2nd August 2005, 13:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
If you look at the corsasailusers Yahoogroup, you will find more people who get a similar average.
That grp has 11 members and totall 6 messages in more than a year... whats the point talking about that grp.
Old 2nd August 2005, 13:40   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
That grp has 11 members and totall 6 messages in more than a year... whats the point talking about that grp.
Well, it does have Corsa Sail owners who have reported a similar mileage.

And your point is?

hrag
Old 2nd August 2005, 14:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well after reading this review I feel that you are trying hard to justify your decision to buy Sail. You have not highlighted a single strength of the car, rather PRESUMED that other cars are bad, thus Sail is good. This review should not be about your presumptions that other cars are bad and have problems, and since you had no problem, thus Corsa is the best car in town. You yourself agree that Corsa is not great to look at, it has poor looking interiors, its pricey, the FE is poor as well, and even though you have not changed any part as of yet, you will realize later that the spares for Corsa are very expensive.
I once considered buying Corsa. The dealer told me it will give me an FE of 10-12. But I didnt like his face when he said the FE, he almost wanted me to not focus on FE as much as the car. I went ahead with Baleno instead of Corsa, and I am glad I did. Being a bigger car, it still gives me an FE of 11 with 100% AC. The spares are cheap, and I can find a Maruti mechanic even in a village.
Old 2nd August 2005, 17:23   #11
BANNED

im not saying other cars are bad dude...
and 1 more thing u are saying that the dealers do not respond well...before sending my car for modification i had a small accident due to which i had to go buy a brand new headlight....called them up on sunday ...helped me out perfectly...and got it on monday...spoke about servicing..they said leave your car here...take it back the next day...and about spares...dude the parts are well attatched and strong...they are all so perfect that you dont require to change them for a long time...the clutch still feels soo great..breaks too are so good..like how they were when the car was brand new....
1 more thing i noticed...this car looks strong and even is verry strong...a rickshaw guy banged into my front right side of the car soo hard...i thought it must have affected my engine parts placement now...but i got down and saw...only headlight broken ..light working perfect but still got to change it...and a small dent...people were confused how such less damage...i had read a review on this car loong back on mouthshut.com
this guy had a sial and was too happy with the car and was saying that once a truckwala came and banged him from behind...he owns a maruti zen..and he was like..he has had such accidents many a times in his zen..sail was his new car...he got scared and got down to check...and he was too surprised to see that there was a verry small dent on the back of his car and he was mentioning about a similar kind of accident he had while he was driving a zen..and said that the 1 with sail was worse than the 1 he had with zen..and zen would have costed him a bomb for such an accident as it would get a real big dent...
i was like hows this possible...all depends on the accident only..makes a very lil difference having a hard bodyy....now if felt it myself..ive owned a zen indica...even my v-tec would have been affected more than what my sail was affected..bigger dent...
what i like about the car - quality drive , reliable , good for its price , stable at high speeds , feel of driving and the hard body
what i dont like about the car - fe , old style dashboard (but still they look and are longlasting) , torque too low due to which it feels sluggish when a/c switched on and gearshifting below 2 rpm
Old 22nd December 2005, 21:07   #12
sAP
BHPian

Hotrod in disguise

with dadudeonfire. Have a 1.4 SAIL myself. Here's a review I made out on mouthshut.

sAP
Old 26th December 2005, 21:19   #13
Tapan

HI,

GM has decreased the pices of spares alot. They are pretty much affordable now. Secondly i won't bing Zen anywhere near to Sail. Sail is too strong for even 3-4 Zens. The difference is German engineering.

Zen will never be able to defeat Sail in anyhting. Sail its too strong, it has alot of power than Zen, EIII when EIII was not even here. Snypro Safety System, Crumple Zones, Better equipment, Better material used like plstic and stuff, True Response Power Steering and much more.

Sail and Corsa has thickest metal sheet after Ambassador in Industry and thickest glass too. High quality plastic and stuff is used.

There's so much too it. I am so sad that GM is closing down Corsa and Sail. But oh well Zen is also closing down in March 2006

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks