Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 13:01   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Alright. Have bought myself a 'Flame Red' 2002 Palio 1.6 GTX. Single owner run around 24,000kms. The car had not been used for the past two years. But is in pretty decent condition. The belts are squeaky, the aircon doesn't cool enough and windows are very slow. Apart from this, there isn't much wrong with the car. It needs a thorough cleanup both inside and out. Oh yes, it cost me Rs. 1.1 lakh.
Congrats! If the odometer reading is authentic, you have gotten yourself a steal (which is usually the case with 1.6 Palios). I'd highly recommending giving her a complete service. All lubes (engine, tranny, brake), radiator flush, new belts and spark plugs. Also look out for any rubber components which have gotten bad.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Although I have some doubts about the odometer reading. I still feel I got a good deal as the car doesn't feel more than 35,000kms old. The suspension is great, it corners well and absorbs bumps with ease. The engine feels very good and cleanly pulls from as low as 1000rpm.

Yes the car needs a greasing and oiling job. Definately new belts and thorough detailing job both inside and out (the paint is a bit whitish on the roof) and the interiors look a little dirty.

Getting all this done mostly over the weekend.

Drifter
Old 17th November 2009, 13:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats drifter, you got the GTX for a song.
Its like to hard to believe. How are the interiors of this car?
Do they show age? Also, the rubber nuggets on the pedals, are they still intact?
What brand of tyres are they running on?

Post some pictures of your ride, both exterior and interior.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:32   #19
BHPian

Drifter - Please tell me that this is not the car from Juhu / Santa Cruz belonging to an alleged doctor? If it is and you have not yet made payment, I would recommend that you stop and check out my thread where I evaluated the car and was advised to drop it like a hot potato!

Sorry to be a damper but just thought that you should know!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post1548797

Last edited by vcash : 17th November 2009 at 13:38.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Drifter - Please tell me that this is not the car from Santa Cruz belonging to alleged doctor? If it is and you have not yet made payment, I would recommend that you stop and check out my thread where I evaluated the car and was advised to drop it like a hot potato!

Sorry to be a damper but just thought that you should know!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post1548797
Vcash, it crossed my mind too.
Old 17th November 2009, 14:20   #21
BHPian

Before i congratulate please confirm its not the same car vcash checked out.
Alternator belt, all relays and all fuses need to be checked.
Any signs of rusting ?
Old 17th November 2009, 16:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Just read your thread and I'm afraid it is the same car. I had my doubts about the odometer reading as well considering the clutch pedal wear. But the engine feels very good (pulls cleanly and there's no missing, very refined even at the top) and the belts need a change. Will get the headlights changed pretty soon as well as the intake pipe. Just got the car oiled and greased. The battery is also fine (no corrosion). Yes Aircon needs gas.

Overall I'm still happy with the car, needs a new gearknob and CD player is different. I bought it for Rs 1.11 lakh. But he had most of the work done on the car, the rear window is fixed, the car has been serviced before I got it (I had it serviced again) and the windows have also become faster after the general service.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 17th November 2009 at 16:40.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Makes no point crying over spilt milk.
If you are happy with the car, its just fine. See the bright side at least you got it for a good price.
Hows the suspension, and also check the power steering motor.

We have seen the car courtesy Vcash, however please do post some more pictures.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Just read your thread and I'm afraid it is the same car. I had my doubts about the odometer reading as well considering the clutch pedal wear. But the engine feels very good (pulls cleanly and there's no missing, very refined even at the top) and the belts need a change. Will get the headlights changed pretty soon as well as the intake pipe. Just got the car oiled and greased. The battery is also fine (no corrosion). Yes Aircon needs gas.

Overall I'm still happy with the car, needs a new gearknob and CD player is different. I bought it for Rs 1.11 lakh. But he had most of the work done on the car, the rear window is fixed, the car has been serviced before I got it (I had it serviced again) and the windows have also become faster after the general service.

Drifter
I suspected it was the same. Well, as long as you are happy and the car feels good, no one should rain on your parade.

My 3 weeks of ownership of a relativley good GTX has taught me that they need a lot of TLC. Do the same with your new acquisition and I am sure she will be back in top shape.

Are you from the Western burbs? If so, let me know - We can go for GTX runs when our cars are back in shape. Drop me a PM if you need anything.

Cheers,
V
Old 17th November 2009, 17:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey vcash,

I'm from South Bombay. Yeah I'll bring this car back to shape. If I had read your thread earlier, I would have negotiated a bit more. This was still the best GTX I had seen in my search. The others were not in good shape. I'm going down to click a few pictures and will try and post them soon.

Surely I'll take you up on the GTX runs once the car is done. Need to get those belts changed ASAP. Will contact you if I need further help.

Drifter
Old 17th November 2009, 20:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Here are pictures clicked today.

Palio 1.6 GTX - Italian Ressurection-palio1.jpg

Palio 1.6 GTX - Italian Ressurection-palio2.jpg

Palio 1.6 GTX - Italian Ressurection-palio3.jpg

Palio 1.6 GTX - Italian Ressurection-palio4.jpg

Palio 1.6 GTX - Italian Ressurection-palio5.jpg

Palio 1.6 GTX - Italian Ressurection-palio6.jpg

Palio 1.6 GTX - Italian Ressurection-palio7.jpg

Palio 1.6 GTX - Italian Ressurection-palio8.jpg

Palio 1.6 GTX - Italian Ressurection-palio9.jpg

Drifter
Old 18th November 2009, 10:44   #27
BHPian

Hey congrats drifter , i had almost searched for 6 months for a 1.6 GTX when i luckly found fellow Bhpian Amit's S10 ! even though it was very very well maintained car, i was on my knees by the time i shorted out small-small not so expensive niggles. The A.s.s goofed up big time on diagonisis and wanted me to change the fuel pump and the alternator, it turned ouit in the eand a Rs. 200 relay had gone bad! I ran around 2 months with a car that stalled every 5 mins. The point am trying to make is these cars aro no monsters to maintain , just that you need to find the right people to understand her.

I really like the color of your car !
As long as you are happy no reasons for as to crib !

But is it just the pic or my blurred vision or its just that the car is slighly tilted to the right hand side ???

How is it after the service ? Break up would help .

I know a very very honest and sharp guy near opera house who worked on my cars electrical issues ( Alternator, relays , rear power window) he was a genieus !!

You need any help on electrical side drop me a PM , am still looking for a guy who can handle the mechanical side of the car !

About spares - you would find most in a shop at opera house " shetty automobiles".

Welcome to the awesome 1.6 family , its raining 1.6 Fiats in the forum WOW !

Vcash, sporty911,your, me are all recent addition i have tracked in Mumbai , lets meed up some time !

Whats her diet ?? i get 9 kmpl ( highway + city).

love a test drive !!
Old 18th November 2009, 11:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey KD, thanks for the wishes. The colour looks pretty good from far but as you get close to the car, the blemishes show up. I'm hoping a detailing job will sort some of it out. Little things but take some effort to correct. The car is not tilted, it was the camera. The suspension is perfect.

I've driven about 160kms in about 20litres that equates to roughly 8kpl (and it hasn't been babied). Will reserve the judgement on FE after a proper service and tankful to tankful. Using regular unleaded as of now.

After buying, I've spent Rs 350 for a general service at the petrol pump (greasing, oiling and cleaning of the underbody). There isn't any corrosion on the underside, some rust is present between the hatch and tail-lamp. Apart from that, I've spent another Rs 1,400 on new numberplates which should arrive in a few days.

I've come to know a Palio special mechanic somewhere in New Bombay. Might visit him over the weekend and see how he is. Will drop you a PM if any electrical issues crop up. One funny thing is that the central locking activates from the passenger door instead of the driver's door.

There is another thread running for this car.

Autocar India Forum: Two used cars...Bought Palio 1.6 GTX

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 18th November 2009 at 11:56.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One funny thing is that the central locking activates from the passenger door instead of the driver's door.
Drifter
The CL is active on both the front doors, which means that you need to check your driver side door for fault.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. So I'll get the driver door checked when I go to the garage next.

Drifter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks