Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 12:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

I like the colour of the car drifty. I'm sure she will be back to being as good as new in your hands. Are you considering getting new headlights for the car because they look old.

Congrats and drive safe. Keep us updated.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Yes headlights, belts and detailing is going to be done soon as well as other minor things which need to be looked into.

Drifter
Old 18th November 2009, 13:44   #33
BHPian

I can recommend a good detailer at Thane - I know it's a hike, but they are pretty good (Save for breaking your rear windshield and then replacing it FOC ) and charge 1600 bucks for a thorough job. They have a pick up and drop of service as well - Let me know if you want their details.
Old 18th November 2009, 14:15   #34
BHPian

Hey drifter if you find your New-Bombay guy descent please drop me a PM . I need help for injector cleaning and and few mundane issues.

Guys Vcash - Drifter - lets meet up .. what say ??
Drifter i work at nariman point, do you stay near by , if you dont mind i would like to check out your car personally.
You know i have a strange kind of brotherhood for felow GTX owners , call it GTX Pack .. ( GTX are just like werewolves.. aggressive and unpredictable !!!) Pack of werewolves - "Come on in and howlwith me as the full moon rises and let your RPM's soar to the exhaust warm embrace " ( I know i have been reading too much of the twilight-new moon - eclipse - breaking dawb series )

Cheers
Old 18th November 2009, 14:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats drifter on the 1.6. I'm sure that you will get her back to scratch and enjoy her for many miles.
Old 18th November 2009, 14:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your buy. There's nothing like a Palio as far as ride and handling is concerned in this segment. Solid built like a tank feel. It's just the Fiat A.S.S. that's a big letdown.
Old 18th November 2009, 14:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Hey drifter if you find your New-Bombay guy descent please drop me a PM . I need help for injector cleaning and and few mundane issues.

Guys Vcash - Drifter - lets meet up .. what say ??
Drifter i work at nariman point, do you stay near by , if you dont mind i would like to check out your car personally.
You know i have a strange kind of brotherhood for felow GTX owners , call it GTX Pack .. ( GTX are just like werewolves.. aggressive and unpredictable !!!) Pack of werewolves - "Come on in and howlwith me as the full moon rises and let your RPM's soar to the exhaust warm embrace " ( I know i have been reading too much of the twilight-new moon - eclipse - breaking dawb series )

Cheers

Yeah sure, I'll probably be going there over the weekend. My office colleague vouches for this guy as he has had two Palios before. I work at Parel, but stay 5 mins away from Nariman Point. If you are coming to the ACI performance show, we can meet up there. I'll take the Palio then instead of the Safari.

@vcash: I'll take up that offer once I get the mechanicals sorted.

@longhorn & Milecruncher: Thanks for the wishes.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 18th November 2009 at 14:48.
Old 4th April 2010, 20:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Alright I'm back after a sabattical of sorts. During this while, I dropped the plans of selling the City. So it shares the stable with the GTX and the 3.0-litre bus.

So took the GTX to the Tata-Fiat workshop at worli and had a whole bunch of work done. The details are as follows, please note the rates have been discounted 10% after my car was damaged at the workshop and repaired free of cost.

1. Wheel Cylinder - 2 - Rs 745
2. Brake Shoes - 2 - Rs 1,507
3. Timing Belt - 1 - Rs 1,132
4. Fixed Tightener - 1 - Rs 1,883
5. Belt Stretcher - 1 - Rs 1,576
6. Fixed Tightener - 1 - Rs 750
7. Alternator Belt - 1 - Rs 208
8. Oil Filter - 1 - Rs 89
9. Fuel Filter - 1 - Rs 104
10. Coolant Tank - 1 - Rs 329
11. Brake Fluid - 1 - Rs 296
12. P.Steering Oil - 1 - Rs 103
13. Coolant - 3 - Rs 324
14. Engine Oil - 4 - Rs 752
15. Spark Plugs - 4 - Rs 332
16. Headlamp Assy. - 2 - Rs 4552
17. Combi Switch - 1 - Rs 2944
18. WD40 -.4 - Rs 160
19. Coolant Flush - 1 - Rs 495
20. Trans Belt - 1 - Rs 308
21. Flex Hose - 1 - Rs 2351
22. Flex Hose - 1- Rs 188

+ Labour Rs 2829

Total Amount Rs 26,898.

Now a bit of a problem. Ever since the car came back, it lacked the pickup that it had earlier, it felt only noisy and there was no real progress. The car was immediately sent back to the shop. The advisor cried blocked injectors, although there was no injector light on the dashboard. I had a feeling that they messed up the timing when they changed the timing belt.

But I let them clear the injectors. The car came back with the pickup restored. But the one irritant remains, the idle is not smooth, I can feel a bump in the motor at idle. Once you give her the stick, the engine becomes silky smooth, but that lumpy idle remains.

So all you GTX owners, please come forward with some solutions. I'm lead to believe this is a common problem and changing the ignition coil should help. But I want to get definate answers before I spend some more money.

Oh yes, it is a 2002 1.6 GTX done roughly 1.25 lakh kms.

Drifter
Old 5th April 2010, 11:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

*bump*

Calling all GTX/S10 owners or anyone for that matter, need some help with a roungh idle and stalling at times on a GTX.

Drifter
Old 6th April 2010, 10:41   #40
BHPian

it must be the incorrect timing set up on your machine. IMO, If the ignition coil is gone, idling will be rough only during cold starts.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Finally got to see your 100 horsed beauty! Congrats buddy!
Old 6th April 2010, 10:59   #42
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
*bump*

Calling all GTX/S10 owners or anyone for that matter, need some help with a roungh idle and stalling at times on a GTX.

Drifter
Does the RPM fluctuate rapidly and then the engine stalls?

Check out the lambda sensor and the idle control valve. You can first try out cleaning them with air compression.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

I also have a feeling about timing since that was the last major work carried out. There are no fluctuations with the RPM. The engine just stalls when left at idle. This happens only when cold, once when warmed up, the stalling problem goes away but the rough idle remains.

Are the lambda sensor and idle control valve a DIY?

@Praful: Thanks

Drifter
Old 6th April 2010, 11:50   #44
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Are the lambda sensor and idle control valve a DIY?
Nope . You need to work with your mechanic. The cleaning part can be done but the dis-assembly and the installation part after cleaning has to be done by someone with an experienced hand.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:55   #45
BHPian

My s10 had irratic/bouncing RPM, then stalling in bumper to bumper traffic issue , which was solved by changing the fuel pump relay.

If you say your RPM needle is stable at idle, then what is exactly rough at idle ? The car vibrates ?? Do you get the injector light flashing when you stall ?? It could be a ignition coil problem. Since you say that engine stall when its cold.

Although you cant rule out bad timing since that was the last major work carried out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks