Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 16:58   #91
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Dev's Hariya having scratches. Point to be noted your honour.Dev just go through this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...bangalore.html. Check the garage this guy is telloing of. This is what he mentioned """"""""""""""""""""Sharing the contact number as per requested by sbala. The guy I dealt with is named Shankar ( +91 98453 19915). They do body repairs and detailing. If you contact him mention condor's name (Parwath Patil) and/or my name Kishore Ckakraborty as reference. It seems this person has already helped a couple of TBHpians with their cars."""""""""""""""" Probably worth the try. He has done a commendable job also.
Well, Hariya had them when he came to me. They arent anything serious but I prefer to keep him as good looking as possible so I m looking forward to getting rid of them.
Thank you for your help. I called Shankar and will go to his garage probably this weekend and take an estimate and try to get it done in a day's time in case I m satisfied with his workmanship of other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Why do you want to spend money on Dealer Workshop when the same can be done outside at 1/3rd the cost. Scratches you can go to good detailer
Makes sense to me as well, the only question is, in case the jobbie isnt good, I will have patch marks. Just hope to find someone really good as the color too is not a common black or white.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:30   #92
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I would suggest SKS simply because they are not as busy as India Garage.
Plus I am a satisfied customer of theirs. All you need to do is to contact Amith there and meet him with your requirements. He will assist you.

If this doesnt work out for you in terms of costings etc, these minor scratches and dings can easily be fixed at most local tinker chaps - and the best thing is that you can stand there and get it done to your complete satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
A question which came to my mind. I heed to get a few small scratches and dings fixed.
Based on your experience, would you recommend India Garage or SKS Automobiles?
Old 17th November 2009, 17:36   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would suggest SKS simply because they are not as busy as India Garage.
Plus I am a satisfied customer of theirs. All you need to do is to contact Amith there and meet him with your requirements. He will assist you.

If this doesnt work out for you in terms of costings etc, these minor scratches and dings can easily be fixed at most local tinker chaps - and the best thing is that you can stand there and get it done to your complete satisfaction.
Thanks Shankar, Do you have any experience of how the costings are in terms of repair bills that you may have encountered? The only reason I m a bit nervous is because, as you know Hariya's color is not very common and a bad job may result in further disappointment rather than peace of mind.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:44   #94
BANNED

a few small pointers - small touchup jobs and minor scratches can be removed by using rubbing compound and then polishing the surface well. This wont work for deep scratches such as those made by a key or the like.
More visible dents can be removed by the vacuum suction method - I am not sure of any practitioners here though.
For really bad dents - crash damage etc where the metal is crumpled up or badly visibly hurt, the authorized service station will simply tell you to change the offending panel and they will get the paint job upto scratch and to match the existing shade. Needless to say, this costs a packet and should be done only when absolutely necessary.
There is a school of thought though which says minor dents and scratches should be left as they are to ward off the evil eye and suchlike. Also, repairing minor scratches and dents sometimes are more trouble than they are worth - especially in terms of getting a matching paint job done.
When the car goes up for its re-sale, if there is any kind of shade variation on it, the prospective buyer will typically view it as an accident repair case and bring down the price accordingly.
From the pictures of your Scorp I cant see any major issue which needs radical sorting out treatment but of course one can venture an opinion only if one sees the vehicle.
With this in mind, maybe you should seek out Amith's opinion from SKS and perhaps opinions from any other trusted friends you have and decide accordingly.
This is how I would handle the situation if I were you.
Cheers!

Quote:
Thanks Shankar, Do you have any experience of how the costings are in terms of repair bills that you may have encountered? The only reason I m a bit nervous is because, as you know Hariya's color is not very common and a bad job may result in further disappointment rather than peace of mind.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:51   #95
Senior - BHPian

Moreover if it is small dent then just spay come CO2(carbon di oxide) on it(available in some shops in can form) and keep a big ice cube(which is available with cane juice nedors or just prepare yourself in the house with a big bowl) on the dent and ooolllaaaa see how it comes out.
Old 18th November 2009, 08:27   #96
BANNED

Dents described.

Quote:
a few small pointers - small touchup jobs and minor scratches can be removed by using rubbing compound and then polishing the surface well. This wont work for deep scratches such as those made by a key or the like.
More visible dents can be removed by the vacuum suction method - I am not sure of any practitioners here though.
For really bad dents - crash damage etc where the metal is crumpled up or badly visibly hurt, the authorized service station will simply tell you to change the offending panel and they will get the paint job upto scratch and to match the existing shade. Needless to say, this costs a packet and should be done only when absolutely necessary.
There is a school of thought though which says minor dents and scratches should be left as they are to ward off the evil eye and suchlike. Also, repairing minor scratches and dents sometimes are more trouble than they are worth - especially in terms of getting a matching paint job done.
When the car goes up for its re-sale, if there is any kind of shade variation on it, the prospective buyer will typically view it as an accident repair case and bring down the price accordingly.
From the pictures of your Scorp I cant see any major issue which needs radical sorting out treatment but of course one can venture an opinion only if one sees the vehicle.
With this in mind, maybe you should seek out Amith's opinion from SKS and perhaps opinions from any other trusted friends you have and decide accordingly.
This is how I would handle the situation if I were you.
Cheers!
Ok then, time for some opinions, HappyWheels is the only BHPian who has seen Hariya, so comments from HappyWheels looked forward to. Also Shankar, since you recommend Amith at SKS, let me go to him this weekend and check. In the meantime, in case you stay anywhere en route Basaweshwaranagar-Bannerghatta Road, I could show them to you as well and take your say on it.
Let me try to explain them theoretically here.
1. The left bottom portion of the front bumper has a scratches on it as though it had scraped something while turning. No plastic damage/cuts/gashes, no mounts broken. The location of this is in and around the "new mudflaps/water protectors" on the front left hand side of the bumper.
2. The driver door, around 5-6 inches below the window sill has a 6-8" long and probably a couple of milimeteres deep dent. Again, no paint damage, no metal cut/gash/peeling off.
This dent though, reflects off the light if one sees the driver door with light falling on it and is more evident. It also tends to look deeper than it actually is.

These are the 2 places I intend to get repaired if feasible and easily possible.

Looking forward to your inputs.

Quote:
Moreover if it is small dent then just spay come CO2(carbon di oxide) on it(available in some shops in can form) and keep a big ice cube(which is available with cane juice nedors or just prepare yourself in the house with a big bowl) on the dent and ooolllaaaa see how it comes out.
Does this work for metal surfaces as well Shishir, in case you know?? You see, my main concern is the dent number 2 explained above as it is very visible whenever someone looks at the door. If it does, I guess I m done as there is absolutely no paint damage at all.

Once again, thanks to both of you for trying to assist me.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:14   #97
Senior - BHPian

Dev, frankly speaking this works if the dent is in the curve shapve like a small crater(as you saw in that link which i had sent where a crater existed on his bumper) i.e when you press your hand on bonnet the metal craves in and those type of surfaces can be removed easily. But you can give a try.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:19   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Dev, frankly speaking this works if the dent is in the curve shapve like a small crater(as you saw in that link which i had sent where a crater existed on his bumper) i.e when you press your hand on bonnet the metal craves in and those type of surfaces can be removed easily. But you can give a try.
No, it is not a a bowl shaped dent. It is a "v" shaped dent which runs 7-8" parallel to the road, though the "v" is only a couple of mm deep. Any idea if your CO2 trick works on metal as well?
Old 18th November 2009, 11:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, it is not a a bowl shaped dent. It is a "v" shaped dent which runs 7-8" parallel to the road, though the "v" is only a couple of mm deep. Any idea if your CO2 trick works on metal as well?
Then i doubt it getting cleared with CO2. you might require a tinkerhelp. By the way after seeing this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1588052-post1868.html and pic when are you planning to do this.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:10   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Then i doubt it getting cleared with CO2. you might require a tinkerhelp. By the way after seeing this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1588052-post1868.html and pic when are you planning to do this.
Well, that was a modified 4X4 doing it dude, I m not sure if I would like to take Hariya to such limits. I prefer long distance "all road" traveling compared to hard core off roading.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:19   #101
BANNED

Hey
No worries - these sound extremely minor to me - small scratches here and there on the bumpers are bound to be there.

The other driver's door dent is also very minor and for its removal, you may benefit by having it done using that vaccuum suction method - but we need to ask others on the forum where this can be done in Bangalore.

My take is that you will benefit by getting a proper rub and polish job done on the Scorp whenever you get it serviced next.

Really no need to hurry up and go to the Body Shop if you ask me.

I believe its worth leaving a couple of minor visible troubles on the vehicle because a completely pristine vehicle tends to fuel jealousy, envy and even attract the evil attentions of those nasty harmful, car scratching type infidels!

Cheers

[quote=n.devdath;1588389]In the meantime, in case you stay anywhere en route Basaweshwaranagar-Bannerghatta Road, I could show them to you as well and take your say on it.
Let me try to explain them theoretically here.
1. The left bottom portion of the front bumper has a scratches on it as though it had scraped something while turning. No plastic damage/cuts/gashes, no mounts broken. The location of this is in and around the "new mudflaps/water protectors" on the front left hand side of the bumper.
2. The driver door, around 5-6 inches below the window sill has a 6-8" long and probably a couple of milimeteres deep dent. Again, no paint damage, no metal cut/gash/peeling off.
This dent though, reflects off the light if one sees the driver door with light falling on it and is more evident. It also tends to look deeper than it actually is.

These are the 2 places I intend to get repaired if feasible and easily possible.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:34   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Hey
No worries - these sound extremely minor to me - small scratches here and there on the bumpers are bound to be there.

The other driver's door dent is also very minor and for its removal, you may benefit by having it done using that vaccuum suction method - but we need to ask others on the forum where this can be done in Bangalore.

My take is that you will benefit by getting a proper rub and polish job done on the Scorp whenever you get it serviced next.

Really no need to hurry up and go to the Body Shop if you ask me.

I believe its worth leaving a couple of minor visible troubles on the vehicle because a completely pristine vehicle tends to fuel jealousy, envy and even attract the evil attentions of those nasty harmful, car scratching type infidels!

Cheers

Thank you for your inputs Shankar. I have posted an enquiry here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...bangalore.html

No replies so far but I m hopeful of getting at least something by the end of day. In the meantime, if you too could enquire with the people you know about the "Vacuum Suction" method at Bangalore, it would be a great help. I made a call to 3M to have their "Car Care Package" done and am expecting a call from them. Will keep you posted on the status.
Old 18th November 2009, 13:29   #103
BANNED

I do believe Dev that there is an earlier thread somewhere which deals with exactly this "Non-Invasive Dent Repair Surgery" situation and someone did post a telephone number etc.
Please do a search again and I am sure you will find it. I last read it about 3 weeks to one month ago if I remember right.

Ok I just found it and here it is - hope it helps you- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nt-repair.html

Quote:
Thank you for your inputs Shankar. I have posted an enquiry here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...bangalore.html

No replies so far but I m hopeful of getting at least something by the end of day. In the meantime, if you too could enquire with the people you know about the "Vacuum Suction" method at Bangalore, it would be a great help. I made a call to 3M to have their "Car Care Package" done and am expecting a call from them. Will keep you posted on the status.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th November 2009 at 13:30.
Old 18th November 2009, 14:45   #104
BANNED

Quote:
I do believe Dev that there is an earlier thread somewhere which deals with exactly this "Non-Invasive Dent Repair Surgery" situation and someone did post a telephone number etc.
Please do a search again and I am sure you will find it. I last read it about 3 weeks to one month ago if I remember right.

Ok I just found it and here it is - hope it helps you- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nt-repair.html
Yes, went through it and there is no phone number for Bangalore but there is a vague address. I think I will drive down to the place this weekend and try to locate the person if possible.
Old 18th November 2009, 16:15   #105
Senior - BHPian

Dev,

I reckon instead of doing a suction repair, it will be better to take it to a good non-MASS body repair shop and get the dent on the door removed. Do check this basic approach first before anything else. (Not sure how easy is to remove the door panel, though). I say this since the dent has not caused any break or defect on the paint.

As for comments on the vehicle, apart from the ones below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
^^ Vijay,

It also rides like a dream! A very silent engine and pulls like no ones business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Few things I noticed in the Scorpio today, small but useful things

1. Access to the head lights is very easy. The casing is such that doing a headlight upgrade is the easiest thing to do! Very thoughtful since most of our driving population upgrade.

2. The brakes are effective even if the engine is not running! A great feature. I do not understand why this is not a standard feature.

3. The gear throws are shorter; quite contrary to what one might expect from that thin long rod.
Here are my views:

1. Engine power delivery is very smooth. No sudden pull or rush.

2. The cabin is silent, very silent in fact.

3. Noticed few features which are 'upgrade' friendly. Also about the brakes, as mentioned in the post quoted above. Great!

4. The color is great. Just a few scratches but no paint damage. Thank God for the missing walrus tooth!

5. Tires are still sporting a very healthy look.

6. No squeaks no rattles in this ~30k kms driven vehicle.

7. The interiors need a cleaning... a good amount!!!

8. Would have recommend a upgrade of headlight, but with the efficient fog lamps I doubt if this is an required. But, if need, it is just a breeze to fix it.

Most Viewed