Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 10:55   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I'm wondering on what made you to buy a car with a previous generation engine, have heard that the PD engine vibrates more and is noisier than its common rail counterparts.
Haven't come across any Laura owners complaining of a lack of refinement. Sure, the engine is a tad loud on the outside, but in terms of drive, its a great unit. Quick for a diesel (thanks to the DSG) and extremely frugal too.
Old 10th October 2009, 14:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
Awesome Car Akhilesh, now let us on it. Which brand of cars do you deal in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
@Akhilesh
Which company are you guys dealers for?
Very easy to guess from my garage!!! (It's not VW)

Don't worry, Jetta is not in the same range / profile as our dealt cars so no brand disloyalty here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Hi Akhilesh,
Can you share servicing related info. re your Jetta?
I would like to follow service instructions as per the manual, but would likie to know about your experiences in this regard- oil changes, oil type selection and the reasons, any precautions over and above those mentioned in the owners' manual and so on....
Regards
service schedule on Jetta is 15,000kms with 3 year / 45,000 kms AMC. So, everything is free during service for first 45,000 kms.

I have not yet had a service since i am still inching around 13K mark but it will be very soon and I would happily provide further information on service along with Long-term ownership report.

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 10th October 2009 at 14:47.
Old 10th October 2009, 15:55   #33
BHPian

@akhilesh - Hey ! .. .. Congrats on the Jetta.. I had gone for a TD of the Jetta long time back and i simply loved the car. The best part was the interior quality and finish. I myself was considering the Jetta AT, Accord AT and the Superb. Ruled out Superb because of the great Saga Skoda here. Accord had lesser features in comparision to the Jetta and was expensive also.
Anyways, Which auto showroom do you have? And i've sent my Safari for the first service .. Am sitting and waiting for it to come back eagerly .. Got it ICE'd and a little here n there stuff.. Alloys will be next..
Old 10th October 2009, 16:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Akhilesh. Jetta is a grown-up car.

Reading first few sentences and my reaction was sue Skoda. How can a critical component fail? I hope the analysis would have been done and reasons told to you by Skoda. I am aghast thinking about the situation.

I am sure you love the car and that you have driven +13k kms. Could you elaborate on the finer details of the car as an owner and living with it 24x7. You may skip the engine as I think that is about to be replaced. We would love to hear more about the experience.

All the best!
Old 10th October 2009, 19:57   #35
JRD
BHPian

congratulations... I feel the Jetta is a fantastic package, I drove one of these A/t's and i was shocked with how responsive the engine was. Great Car!

From what other users have posted, VW service is not that big of an issue, as compared to skoda.

p.s. good choice of the black interiors.
Old 12th October 2009, 11:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

We've clocked 3K kms within a month.Its perfect without any issues.Long way to go for the 15k mark,hopefully to be touched within couple months.
Yes, Jetta comes with AMC package, no need to worry about the oil changes etc till 45K mark.
Engine noise is too loud and diesel clatter can be heard but not form inside the cabin.The insulation is perfect.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:39   #37
BHPian

congratulations from uprgading from skoda to VW . i personally think regardless of the price and features etc. its a brand which is a notch higher!

we have this disparity because skoda came in earlier and was launched as a premium brand! but vw is truly understated and it has more class than skoda! IMHO
Old 12th October 2009, 16:23   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i personally think regardless of the price and features etc. its a brand which is a notch higher!
No doubt about that. Next step is an Audi
Old 12th October 2009, 21:05   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Very easy to guess from my garage!!! (It's not VW)

Don't worry, Jetta is not in the same range / profile as our dealt cars so no brand disloyalty here!!!

service schedule on Jetta is 15,000kms with 3 year / 45,000 kms AMC. So, everything is free during service for first 45,000 kms.

I have not yet had a service since i am still inching around 13K mark but it will be very soon and I would happily provide further information on service along with Long-term ownership report.
Akhilesh,

Thank you - knew about 15k
Just wanted to be doubly sure
Will await your service report.
I've done about 3300 kms on my Jetta; I love to see the bemused expresssions of most other drivers, when I go up inclines at roughly 2k revs, 60-80 kmph in Mumbai. Obviously when there's sparse traffic and the road is good. The whoosh of the torque is seamless and butterly smooth.

Regards

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th November 2009 at 18:00. Reason: Please limit 2 smilies per post, Thanks.
Old 12th November 2009, 20:22   #40
BHPian

VW Jetta : 14,000 kms ; 6 months....

Initial Report
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-das-auto.html

Current Status
Time : 6 months
Mileage : 14300 kms

Experience so far...

Drive : Hmmmmm.... nice.
This car can be an absolute driver's delight even replete of any astounding performance for a basic reason that it keeps you refreshed even after 6 hours Indian highways. Also because you just revel the easy life this car gives you and its rather forgiving nature as it time and again spares you any punishment even after you move over potholes (craters to be precise!). It is a gem of a car and absolute gentleman behaviour.

Performance: Not a scorcher, but certainly a pleaser.
Time and again people ask me the top speed, accelaration figures and peak power output of the car and I usually am without an answer. Truth is I still haven't gone through the brochure to mug up these figures and frankly I haven't given a damn. Don't get me wrong here. I love speed and performance but hate the relevance of mere numbers on sales brochure. What I like is the absolute ease with which you can simply downshift a gear while overtaking by a simple touch of paddle shift and surge forward freely and the fact that the car never refuses me to push MY limits. Yes, a lot could be better by I am more than happy with what I got and would not trade the same for anything. And the DSG Auto gear box. I have grown to love what these germans can do when they are not thinking about creating world wars.

Ride : I'm Loving It
It glides over potholes as if it was made with Indian roads in mind and not in a country known for its autobahns. I remember a auto journo once commenting that Jetta's true potential is realised on Indian roads rather than Autobahns of Germany. This car belongs here. Many a times, I have ignorantly driven over potholes of Jaipur expecting a teeth clattering jitter but was astonished to be let off with minor jerk. I agree Ground clearance could have been better but this has been my best ride to date.

Comfort : Front passengers Pride, Rear Passenger's Envy.
Like most D segment cars, this once again has a jelkyll and hyde feeling as you move from front seat to back seat. While the car is leaps better than Octavia and sports seat with leather upholstery on my car is very comfortable, It just lacks the extra few inch at the rear seat. On the other hand, there is absolute acres of space in front seat and heated seats and dual air-con make life all that better. Frankly, we always have the fight for a seat in front.

Fuel Consumption: Making all the paisa count
On most rides in city, I was able to muster upto 13kpl while highway rides could stump this figure in the range of 16-17kpl and I would not have wanted any more. Yes, it is a little less than the outgoing octavia but still great for the car.

Pros and Cons

Adore
* Ride
* DSG Gearbox
* Auto Light/ Rain sensors (gimmicky but good)
* Red / Blue ambience light
* Sport Seats
* Not a single rattle after all this kms
* VW AMC scheme

Lack
* Cramped Rear Seats
* Lack of Bluetooth / USB on stereo (Heck! even our vista has it)
* Lack of Parking Sensors

1st Service

Visited VW Jaipur service centre 2 days back with 13867 kms on the odo and 6 months since initial delivery. This was my second visit to VW workshop after a visit sometime in August to rectify a lost screw in rear door cladding. Before visit, Low Oil warning lamp had come on. I will admit I had been greedy to save on the oil due to its inclusion in AMC.

Anyways, reached workshop at 3 in the evening and though the WM was grumpy about the fact, he accepted my car and gave an estimated delivery time for 6pm. Car was straight away moved to a two post lift and mechanic assigned. I was left free to explore the premises.

4.5 litres were topped up (Castrol Magnatec Professional) and Air filter, Oil Filter and Diesel filter changed. Further, Wishbone nut was checked upon my request for any anomaly as has been reported for some VW cars.

Then the car was parked for diagnostic scan and it came back with an error in small fan which was working sporadically. Since it was already evening, I was requested to get the part changed on coming monday. I have made a note of same.

Also, my brother wanted the high beam to be brought down a bit and the same was done promptly and then the car was put for washing.

Found the mechanic staff to be quite courteous though WM was a little grumpy. I actually don't blame him because he was doing the work of three people himself namely Service advisor, Job Controller and Customer Relations. The dealer must look into recruiting more people or it could hamper the service experience.

Repair Quality : 9 / 10
Courtesy : 6 / 10 (Lack of CRO/CRM is felt massively)
Time Taken : 8 / 10
Washing Quality : 9 / 10
Overall : 8.5 / 10

Total time taken : 3 hrs
Billed amount : Rs. 0

Final Word : I felt quite awkward driving off without having paid a single penny after a full service and this is no short of brilliant from VW. The AMC schemes have my respect.
Old 12th November 2009, 20:24   #41
BHPian

1st service Report :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1579590
Old 12th November 2009, 21:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Great comprehensive review.

Your niggle free experience with the car has added a few more points to its reputation in my mind.

Thanks for taking the time out to ride this. Am sure everyone appreciates it.
Old 12th November 2009, 21:43   #43
BHPian

Nice crisp review of a great car! Wish you many more happy miles of riding this beautifully engineered machine.

Btw, is it 2 litre turbo petrol ?
Dragonov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2009, 21:58   #44
BHPian

Nice review Akhilesh:

I am glad we have an alternative to Skoda - and I hope that this lovely experience continues for you.

Cheers,
Old 12th November 2009, 22:10   #45
BHPian

Congrats on completing the 15000kms . A very good write-up to the point . I am also glad that you are happy with the car and the overall service. Really reading your review I was surprised that Skoda and VW being from the same family are miles apart in the quality and service factors .

Most Viewed