Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 22:54   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: SwiftnFurious' Swift VDi ABS - 20K, 30K, 60K, 80K Service updates on Pg 1, 2, 4 &

^^ Sorry, the edit-window is over. I wanted to add this.

And may be redlining is good, I really don't know. What I know is that the manufacturer don't recommend red-lining. Just read up an article by SS-Traveller referring this link on the Italian tuneup.

Mods: If you can merge my post with the above, please?
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 23:10   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SwiftnFurious' Swift VDi ABS - 20K, 30K, 60K, 80K Service updates on Pg 1, 2, 4 &

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
...I am sorry but I have a dumb question to ask. May sound stupid.

Will maintaining low tire pressure (Air pressure) will lead to body roll with a little spongy ride?...
Not really a dumb question! I am infact running on reduced pressure now (32 each) after I was advised this is enough as I upsized the tyres to 185/70 R14 (165/80 R14 stock). With Potenza GIIIs I used to run 36F & 33R. I guess I should put it at 36F & 33R to see how it behaves!

Quote:
...Will they change the intercooler be changed temporarily for you to check your stock one? Labour charges and what if your stock intercooler is ok what will they do with the one that they will be fitting on yours after the testing?...
Yes, temporary check. I doubt they will charge me anything as this is an escalation follow up! I did put a lot of heat on them and they are all prepared to sort it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Ah, there you go. So you wont be advising sun films again I guess...
This happened some 6 months back and I did have black tints on the side + rear. They never really saw the transparent front ones though! :-D

Quote:
...Is it because you have the black racing strip that the Police is keen in stopping you?....
I do doubt it!! I have seen that tendency with police to check my vehicle every now and then.

Quote:
...The Angamaly-Thrissur highway is literally bombed with speed-cameras. I guess any over-speeding fine will be sent directly to home with pictures...
Yep, I heard about those! Looks like the revenue from those are quite heavy. Some lakhs of rupees in 6 months time and guess they want to implement speed cameras at more places now!!

Quote:
OT: After the initial running-in, I had fallen for your recommendation of red-lining the diesel to take her through the RPM range and to my own self-control-less-ness. To be frank, I didn't feel anything better happened and really don't think soot is a problem within 2000 kms (the soot at the exhaust goes off if you rub your fingers over it and the engine color has not yet changed to pitch black). The only difference I feel now is that the A/C compressor switches on with more jerk, whereas before, I never knew when it switched on...
In 2000 kms I don't think you will have any soot deposits! That recommendation is more to do with taking the mechanicals thru the complete range, as far as I understand! Otherwise, I do a high revving once in 5000 kms or so. As you said, I don't feel much difference, but it's nice to take the engine thru the load is what my personal gut feel is.

Also I had not redlined the engine for close to last 10K kms. After that when I did red line, I could feel the engine freeing up and revvs building faster than usual! So I am convinced on a personal level that it indeed is good for the health of the engine.

Edit::

Quote:
....And may be redlining is good, I really don't know. What I know is that the manufacturer don't recommend red-lining. Just read up an article by SS-Traveller referring this link on the Italian tuneup...
I think the word is "continuous / prolonged" red lining?? I do NOT know! But how I red line my car is for 1-2 seconds in a span of say 5000 kms. That can't do much of a damage, can it? And the wiki article too says, this is done for vehicles which are not run in high speeds. Hope someone quite experienced with diesel engines give us some hints!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th March 2013 at 23:21. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 19:40   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Not really a dumb question! I am infact running on reduced pressure now (32 each) after I was advised this is enough as I upsized the tyres to 185/70 R14 (165/80 R14 stock). With Potenza GIIIs I used to run 36F & 33R. I guess I should put it at 36F & 33R to see how it behaves!
I maintain F - 38 & R - 35 from day 1. The ride is ok and not bouncy and I keep an eye on the tire pressure every week. I don't have the issue of high body roll but the way the car tilt/dips to the side of the turn is a little un-inspiring. Tall boy design so can't do much.

Anurag.
Old 19th March 2013, 19:49   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I maintain F - 38 & R - 35 from day 1.
You got to be kidding me , that's way too high.
Maruti itself recommends 36/33 which itself is very high .
If you drive regularly on butter smooth roads then i guess it should be fine, otherwise i am sure the ride will be super stiff, and you will be able to feel everything that's on the road.

For 185/70 you can try 32/30 for bangalore roads .

Cheers
Old 19th March 2013, 20:01   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
You got to be kidding me , that's way too high.
Maruti itself recommends 36/33 which itself is very high .
If you drive regularly on butter smooth roads then i guess it should be fine, otherwise i am sure the ride will be super stiff, and you will be able to feel everything that's on the road.

For 185/70 you can try 32/30 for bangalore roads .

Cheers
I am on stock profile tires and just changed to second set. First change was at 61000kms.

To what I understand the placard given on cars is cold tire pressure so once hot it would be different so I fill in 1-2psi extra than given in the placard.

My is 85% smooth roads. No complains of back ache or rattles inside the car.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 19th March 2013, 22:26   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am on stock profile tires and just changed to second set. First change was at 61000kms.

To what I understand the placard given on cars is cold tire pressure so once hot it would be different so I fill in 1-2psi extra than given in the placard.

My is 85% smooth roads. No complains of back ache or rattles inside the car.
A lot of people do reduce the psi's for a better ride. To be frank, I was running 36/33 on my 185/70 R14s! But then I used to drive alone, wanted a bit more FE and wanted to compensate for the loss of pressure. It does become uncomfortable for people at the back, for a Swift.

Edit:: Somehow I used to like that ride quality at 36/33, felt like the pot holes were NOT intruding into the cabin.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th March 2013 at 22:27. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 22nd March 2013, 06:54   #127
BANNED

Quote:
But then I used to drive alone, wanted a bit more FE and wanted to compensate for the loss of pressure.
Oh good.

But what is the gain you got on FE after the decrease in psi?

Is it an significant increase?

Anurag.
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:55   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

The recommended tyre pressure for 185/70 R14 is 32/29. I normally keep it at 33/30.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 00:09   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh good.

But what is the gain you got on FE after the decrease in psi?

Is it an significant increase?

Anurag.
When pressure is dropped, FE also drops.

To be honest, I never thought to check under different conditions. I almost always had it at that and it use to give me 17 kmpl in city. 18 kmpl if I drive sedate.

In my native, conditions are different, so never checked it. I guess one might get 1-2 kmpl extra for a higher pressure. From what I read somewhere, the higher PSI also helps keep the heat on the tyres lesser (and hence safer) and this was also a reason for me to keep the pressure higher.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th March 2013 at 00:11.
Old 3rd April 2013, 02:33   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like this year (Aug 2012 - till date) of mine is dedicated to fines!!

1st fine - Sullia, Karnataka...

2nd fine : Kannur, Kerala...

3rd fine - Vadavathur, Kottayam...
The pattern continues.

4th fine : Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha highway; Speeding! Rs. 300/-

For the first time in 4.5 years (and 12 years of driving), I got a fine for speeding! The machine showed 75 kmph & I was told the limit was 70 kmph. And all these in between a total drive of ~400 kms where I was sticking on to a max 80 kmph to avoid any fine. Was pretty disappointed as my brother was getting late to his college and I was still sticking to the 80 kmph speed. But wasn't good enough.

Positive part - The car looked H-A-W-T in the pic! Asked for a print and buggers said the device was NOT working!

Edit:: My car was snapped at a curve but I doubt it's a legal way to do it. Read a daily stating that cars can't be checked at curves. Anyone?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd April 2013 at 02:38. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 5th April 2013, 09:04   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The machine showed 75 kmph & I was told the limit was 70 kmph. And all these in between a total drive of ~400 kms where I was sticking on to a max 80 kmph to avoid any fine. Was pretty disappointed as my brother was getting late to his college and I was still sticking to the 80 kmph speed. But wasn't good enough.
This is misuse of the rule. They should have atleast kept a buffer of 10 kmph! It's a pity that we have 70 kmph limit on all highways independent of its design. On some of the new highways like Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha, 70 kmph would feel like a snail!

Quote:
Positive part - The car looked H-A-W-T in the pic! Asked for a print and buggers said the device was NOT working!

Quote:
Edit:: My car was snapped at a curve but I doubt it's a legal way to do it. Read a daily stating that cars can't be checked at curves. Anyone?
I don't think there is any such rule. What's the logic for that ?
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 09:23   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
This is misuse of the rule. They should have atleast kept a buffer of 10 kmph!

Usually they give a buffer of 5 kmph. My friend, when he was fined, was told they ignore up to 75 kmph. It all depends on the officer's attitude, we really can't question the limit after crossing 70 kmph. We can only try implore.

For the curve part, I don't know if it is a law, but instructions have been passed from the higher officials not to have checking at curves and without prior information. On the M. C. Road at stretches, there are official cautions where the speed checking is. But I have seen police checking at other places rarely too. The instruction part and the checking at curves was reported in dailys too. The logic is that curves are meant to be taken carefully and checking at curves make people nervous / distracted and this alone can lead to accidents.

I agree that 70 kmph should be increased at least at some places.
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 00:45   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Edit:: My car was snapped...
Leave the buggers; here is what I could manage (my wife clicked it for the sake of TBHP!) last weekend when you were caught in the famous crawling traffic of Kottayam, in front of the Head Post Office.

SwiftnFurious' Swift VDi ABS - 20K, 30K, 60K, 80K Service updates on Pg 1, 2, 4 & 5-photo0099001.jpg
Hope this is you, right?

I usually don't go after stickers, unless it is on the car just in front; but this time, the yellow stickers turned my head and then my eyes stayed hooked on to the car. The spoiler with the central and side decals looked awesome in person than seeing it through snaps. No wonder cops stop you
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 10:36   #134
BHPian

Quote:
The pattern continues.

4th fine : Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha highway; Speeding! Rs. 300/-

Anyone?
Though it is sad that you had to pay Rs.300 as fine. But the good part is the officer did not ask Rs.100 or 200 as bribe.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 12:22   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Leave the buggers; here is what I could manage (my wife clicked it for the sake of TBHP!) last weekend when you were caught in the famous crawling traffic of Kottayam, in front of the Head Post Office.

Attachment 1081781
Hope this is you, right?

I usually don't go after stickers, unless it is on the car just in front; but this time, the yellow stickers turned my head and then my eyes stayed hooked on to the car. The spoiler with the central and side decals looked awesome in person than seeing it through snaps. No wonder cops stop you
Ohh Man !! That's a super catch! But it would have been my brother driving as I was NOT in my native in May!

And thanks a lot for your kind words. Makes me quite happy that the efforts paid off.

Quote:
This is misuse of the rule. They should have atleast kept a buffer of 10 kmph!
Very true. It's quite frustrating to drive "that slow"!

Quote:
I think the logic is what @thoma shared. May make the drivers nervous. Secondly I also think that the officers should NOT hide while checking - they are supposed to be visible to the drivers. Not sure of this again.

My dad later told me that if they don't give the photograph, it's NOT required to pay the fine. Next time I am gonna take them to task if they ever play the same trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Though it is sad that you had to pay Rs.300 as fine. But the good part is the officer did not ask Rs.100 or 200 as bribe.
In Kerala they don't usually ask for bribes as these checkings are done more to fill their quota. So they need to have the challans / bills issued.

Last edited by noopster : 28th October 2013 at 17:19. Reason: As requested
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks