Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 11:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Innova is one car that has good space and ride. This does give very good comfort level and one can travel a lot in a day. My parents did Agra to A'bad in one day in relative's Innova. Ride is really very nice and handling is not severly affected with load. The engine has right punch where it matters. Overtaking is not a big issue thanks to wonderful pull and spread of torque. Almost all toyota diesels have this good torque spread.

My father was keen on buying one, but I brainwashed him for one reason. It was top end performance. In our current car, 120 is where the engine opens up. 120 is what Innova feels as if it " had enough ". And I am in love with our current car ( I am called mad by family and friends ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
1Sorry for taking this thread OT, but, last week, I went with my cousin to Nippon Toyota (EKM) for a test drive of an Innova. He wanted to buy a people mover and hence was almost sold to Innova. But when we talked to the sales agent at Nippon , that guy was more like selling an Altis to him when we had asked for an Innova.
His points were, Innova, being 5 yrs old, will be replaced soon where as Altis is just 1 yr in India ( leaving out the corolla brand).

He was also telling points like once the vehicle crosses 1 lac kms, service costs will increase and all.

We were really surprised by the fact that the sales agent was actually campaigning against one of his own brand against the other one.

But then, my cousin, who had already made up the mind, stuck to the Innova plan and went ahead with the purchase ( after the test drive).

Our feeling was, since Altis was slow moving compared to Innova, may be the sales agent was trying to sell it to him instead of an Innova.
Read in ACI about Avanza coming. It will be slotted below Innova. This might be leading many to believe that Innova is phased out, but IMHO, Toyota wont do that. They are selling close to 4K Innova a month.

Your cousin need not worry, he made the right decision of sticking to his needs and plan.
Altis is facing very stiff competition from Cruze, may be that's why salesperson is pushing Altis.
Old 1st December 2009, 12:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

vinay, great looking innova - black suits it!

A question, how does the innova handle in city traffic? (you should know, you live in bangalore ) I mean, does it get tiring maneuvering a relatively large car like the innova?
Old 1st December 2009, 18:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
vinay, great looking innova - black suits it!

A question, how does the innova handle in city traffic? (you should know, you live in bangalore ) I mean, does it get tiring maneuvering a relatively large car like the innova?
Surprisingly easy to drive i must say.
the small turning radius is a real boon i must say. Parking is a breeze thanks to the sensors and the relatively large mirrors and The commanding View is certainly an advantage.
Yes there have been times when i have to be careful not to break too hard so that i don't get tailed by someone and need to be a bit cautious while overtaking or cutting across
Old 1st December 2009, 18:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Think of using additional driving lights if you need more light in night drives instead of going for HID on stock headlight (like philips kit ot Projector set-up). May be, if you already have not done, upgrade to higher wattage bulbs with wiring kit etc. That also should help.

Your innova is looking cool. I liked the reg. number Which sun-control-film is that?
Another question i have is, how do you manage to save the side steps from the unexpected huge road-humps? They reduced the ground clearance alot in my brother-in-law's innova and we had it removed later. Not sure if that was due to bad install.
right now the sun film i have used is Garware jet black. But im planning to strip them off and put on Lumar (jet black again ) since garware has poor visibility compared to Lumar(i have compared with friends car) then also might put on v70 or air 75 or Dark tints on the front also.

about the steps. they seem to have very good clearance but im planning to remove them sometime because it is the only thing that looks a bit awkward on the car.
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:18   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review, Vinaydas! I do remember your Camry thread as well. A Toyota fan? If so, you have good reasons to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
when i sat in the scorpio i was kinda disappointed with the feel inside ,it felt a bit claustrophobic (well it should for a 110+ 6 1' person)
I agree. For a car that's so big on the outside, the Scorpio has surprisingly conservatively sized interiors.

Quote:
since it was the top end model it cost close to 14 lacs on road(yes its pricey but its money well spent)
Money well spent indeed. Not only are you getting a superior product, but the Innova's rate of wear & tear is far lower than its competitors. This, logically, allows you to own the car for a longer time....Toyotas can easily serve you for 10 - 15 years at the minimum. Even if you sell earlier, strong resale is guaranteed. Thus, the initial premium price tag is entirely negated.

Quote:
One small issue has to be addressed
Initially the car was giving really good mileage (close to 10)
but right now it is in the range of 8.5-9 in the city .
Is there any particular reason? or has my driver abused the engine ? I can only rectify it at the next service interval which is at 59,000 kms.
I'd say its more to do with a change in driving style (if all services have gone through as per Toyotas schedule).
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excellent review, Vinaydas! I do remember your Camry thread as well. A Toyota fan? If so, you have good reasons to be

I agree. For a car that's so big on the outside, the Scorpio has surprisingly conservatively sized interiors.

Money well spent indeed. Not only are you getting a superior product, but the Innova's rate of wear & tear is far lower than its competitors. This, logically, allows you to own the car for a longer time....Toyotas can easily serve you for 10 - 15 years at the minimum. Even if you sell earlier, strong resale is guaranteed. Thus, the initial premium price tag is entirely negated.

I'd say its more to do with a change in driving style (if all services have gone through as per Toyotas schedule).
Thanks man
And yes i think i need to tweak my driving style for this diesel
the camry is taken out by me 2-3 times a week but when i do drive it ,i do so not caring about economy and basically floor it most of the time.
But my daily drive Fiat palio had to be a bit economical on my pocket (i had to fuel her with my own cash) so my driving style had been a bit conservative.But now this Baby has become my Daily drive ,everyone is always excited when something new comes in and that has led me to drive around in a relatively rash manner so decreased mileage.

Last edited by vinaydas : 2nd December 2009 at 17:25.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

one really stupid question which im supposed to know.
But how do you remove the spare from under the vehicle?
I know there is a opening just above the bumper when you have to insert either the rod which is used to lift up the jack or the other end of the wrench which is used to remove the bolts from the tyre And release the chain slowly to bring the tyre down.
Or is there any other key which my driver has misplaced?
Im asking here because i have never changed a spare on the innova and in the future if there is a spare i dont want to be stranded !! And also i kissed a kerb thanks to an imbecile bike guy and hence my side step got damaged with minor scratches on the alloys . So was wondering if the spare wheel also is an alloy.

Last edited by vinaydas : 7th December 2009 at 16:23.
Old 7th December 2009, 20:42   #23
BHPian

Vinaydas - Thats some serious miles you have put on your Innova.Heard that Innovas are prone to premature tire wear.Is it true?

OT - Looks like you reside in Tcr district.Lets meet up sometime when you are here.
Old 7th December 2009, 21:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
Vinaydas - Thats some serious miles you have put on your Innova.Heard that Innovas are prone to premature tire wear.Is it true?

OT - Looks like you reside in Tcr district.Lets meet up sometime when you are here.
well mine wore out around 45,000 kms which i feel is pretty decent .
My Native is Close to Thrissur (20 kms approx) But its more like a farmhouse there for me.
I stay in Bangalore and we are settled here(since i was born and bought up here) and go there only during vacations or certain holidays.\

People Another thing i would like to know about is the MID(multi info display) i think it comes on the new innova and it gives details about average fuel consumption temperature etc . I would like to know if this can be retrofitted ? and if some one has done it can you guys please give an info on the costs involved?
Thanks.

Last edited by vinaydas : 7th December 2009 at 21:07.
Old 10th December 2009, 18:23   #25
sps
BHPian

A neat review and an excellently maintained innova. Having a person for daily cleaning helps.
IMO Black is the best color for Innova.

Retrofitting the multi information console is difficult and involves replacing some of the core components, not a VFM job. It was discussed in some other thread.
Please do continue to update this thread. Normally innova owners don't have much to write in their ownership threads due to their hassle free ownership.

What Modification have you planned for the front grill?

Last edited by sps : 10th December 2009 at 18:25.
Old 11th December 2009, 14:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People Another thing i would like to know about is the MID(multi info display) i think it comes on the new innova and it gives details about average fuel consumption temperature etc . I would like to know if this can be retrofitted ? and if some one has done it can you guys please give an info on the costs involved?
Thanks.
No its not possible. It needs lot of changes to be done.

See if you can upgrade your front grill,H.lamps,R.Lamps & rear bumper with the new model. Looks good but little expensive.
Old 12th December 2009, 21:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
A neat review and an excellently maintained innova. Having a person for daily cleaning helps.
IMO Black is the best color for Innova.

Retrofitting the multi information console is difficult and involves replacing some of the core components, not a VFM job. It was discussed in some other thread.
Please do continue to update this thread. Normally innova owners don't have much to write in their ownership threads due to their hassle free ownership.

What Modification have you planned for the front grill?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
No its not possible. It needs lot of changes to be done.

See if you can upgrade your front grill,H.lamps,R.Lamps & rear bumper with the new model. Looks good but little expensive.
@sps im planning a small custom job of installing a wire mesh on the existing grill itself.

@ Ramsagar thanks for the information regarding the MID.
and regarding the new bumper kit and grill i already asked and toyota dealers freaking quoted me 26,000 Rs !!!!!
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova 55k /1 Year

Quote:
well mine wore out around 45,000 kms which i feel is pretty decent .
My Native is Close to Thrissur (20 kms approx) But its more like a farmhouse there for me.
I stay in Bangalore and we are settled here(since i was born and bought up here) and go there only during vacations or certain holidays.
Hi Vinay, its been a long time since you updated this thread. I sincerely hope you are still enjoying your Innova. It would have easily crossed 1.5L kms or 2. Could you please update this thread as to how your black beauty has fared so far?

I am looking out for a used Innova, 5-7 years old, running could be 100K to 150k (or even more), but my budget is 5 lacs max. I would be using the Innova only for weekend/vacation trips with my family. I have an Indica for my daily office runs & city errands, may replace it in future. Do you think going for a used Innova is worthwhile, especially the age, running & budget that I am considering?
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi Auto Indian.

Its been quite a while since my last update on this thread (almost 4 years!)

The car is still with us. It has covered close to 1 lac 63k KMS.

The astonishing part is there are absolutely No Creaks or Rattles what so ever. The interiors are holding quite well. The other day my friend who owns a 2013 Innova was surprised that my innova is more refined and silent than his car!

Its still giving me a healthy 10+ KMPL in Bangalore traffic. Still hits speeds over 140 without any issue.
vinaydas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Great that it has no creaks. Not surprising that it is still holding up well. I have a 2007 Corolla which I think might not be substantially inferior to the Innova in build quality. Of course it has so far run only 75K in 78 mths of duty. The creaks and rattles are there but minor. It is also a question of periodic maintenance and getting minor adjustments to ensure that the car remains silent. I think you must thank your service mechanic too.

Congrats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks