Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 19:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

This ownership report confirms my(oldschool) notion that daily running a diesel motor will keep it reliable. And TCIC can last 3L km after an overhaul. This is a totally reliable ownership report.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:42   #32
BHPian

@mercedised!

Thanks for your feedback. Your vehicle seems to be one of a kind with the FE numbers you are getting . In a Turbo diesel with that kind of consistent FE , the fuel pump should'nt be touched.
Too Bad that you have the leakage to fix.
I have a petrol accent and a turbo diesel Indigo , so i know what exactly you mean by low pickup / truck like feel.
I felt the TCIC drives pretty ok. Anybody who has done about 75000 km on Tata IDIs would know exactly what a heavy vehicle with low BHP translate into.
But the important thing, is the torque is there and one gets the hang of how to utilize the torque to do your calling.
You may not be the first of the block at signals or u may have to may have to work around that sluggishness , but you manage pretty ok after getting the hang of it.
anyway , thanks a ton!
Old 11th March 2010, 21:45   #33
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
How's your SAFARI going.
Recently, one FAT man sat onto the rearmost seat (jumper seats) and the seat came out(the part which supports BACK) on a bump. How to get rid of that now??

Ofcourse to Authorized SC only. But, 6K is damn high for a pump overhaul. I asked my mechanic and he said that 2000rs for pump overhaul including labour and parts needed.
The Safari's doing very well actually. Its been on the road quite often clocking about 4-5k km in last month or so regularly on the Abad-Mt Abu-South Raj route though I think its time for a service/check up before the long cruel summer ahead!

I know 6k sounds high but its something you don't want to mess with in your car. Typically you only go to the Mico/Lucas (whatever your pump is) instead of regular mechanics. I believe once you open it there's always the likelihood of issues occurring more often so only go ahead if that's the only solution.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
This ownership report confirms my(oldschool) notion that daily running a diesel motor will keep it reliable. And TCIC can last 3L km after an overhaul. This is a totally reliable ownership report.
Thanks. But, i want my vehicle to last for 3L without overhaul; SERIOUSLY, I am in no mood to shell out 50,000rs in overhaul of my car. Because for me an overhaul before 3L would be wasting money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
@mercedised!

Thanks for your feedback. Your vehicle seems to be one of a kind with the FE numbers you are getting . In a Turbo diesel with that kind of consistent FE , the fuel pump should'nt be touched.
Too Bad that you have the leakage to fix.
I have a petrol accent and a turbo diesel Indigo , so i know what exactly you mean by low pickup / truck like feel.
I felt the TCIC drives pretty ok. Anybody who has done about 75000 km on Tata IDIs would know exactly what a heavy vehicle with low BHP translate into.
But the important thing, is the torque is there and one gets the hang of how to utilize the torque to do your calling.
You may not be the first of the block at signals or u may have to may have to work around that sluggishness , but you manage pretty ok after getting the hang of it.
anyway , thanks a ton!
Once you get used to this vehicle then i bet that one will hate those high accelerating vehicles. I love the low pick-up thing of this car as i like things tobe a little Tipical for me. Now, Most importantly:

"ARE YOU WILLING TO BUY THE VEHICLE??" and ofcourse WHEN?? and do inform us if you find any vehicle or have some query.

Quote:
The Safari's doing very well actually. Its been on the road quite often clocking about 4-5k km in last month or so regularly on the Abad-Mt Abu-South Raj route though I think its time for a service/check up before the long cruel summer ahead!

I know 6k sounds high but its something you don't want to mess with in your car. Typically you only go to the Mico/Lucas (whatever your pump is) instead of regular mechanics. I believe once you open it there's always the likelihood of issues occurring more often so only go ahead if that's the only solution.
That's the reason, I am waiting for PUMP to extract its whole juice.

Last edited by mercedised : 11th March 2010 at 21:53.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Mercidised, fuel leak from pump is usually rubber washer getting weak, hence it is better you stop by mico bosch diesel pump service stations. In one of my fiat, there was a diesel leak from the pump, and a roadside guy(one of the brilliant chap who know what he is doing) carefully attended to the leak.
Old 11th March 2010, 22:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

a great review buddy, infact a heart touching one.

safari is one such vehicle which has a huge fan following, infact i feel the TCIC safari was & is the best safari tata made. that engine roar was something to drool over. my uncle from dubai who had a 4L honda used to love my old TCIC's engine sound & comfort.

i had 2 TCICs. one was a 1998 make (black) & the other was a 2001 make (blue with grey cladding). although i loved both the SUVs, we had to sell them within 3 years. both were quite heavy on the pocket & maintainence & reliability issues were too much for us to handle. We dint have the same good experiences that you had with your vehicle.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th March 2010 at 22:50. Reason: Removing off topic content
Old 11th March 2010, 22:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mercidised, fuel leak from pump is usually rubber washer getting weak, hence it is better you stop by mico bosch diesel pump service stations. In one of my fiat, there was a diesel leak from the pump, and a roadside guy(one of the brilliant chap who know what he is doing) carefully attended to the leak.
I too was conveyed the same thing by SC guys. But, the Labour for removing and refitting is the real culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
a great review buddy, infact a heart touching one.

safari is one such vehicle which has a huge fan following, infact i feel the TCIC safari was & is the best safari tata made. that engine roar was something to drool over. my uncle from dubai who had a 4L honda used to love my old TCIC's engine sound & comfort.
Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th March 2010 at 22:50. Reason: Removing off topic content.
Old 12th March 2010, 08:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:

"ARE YOU WILLING TO BUY THE VEHICLE??" and ofcourse WHEN?? and do inform us if you find any vehicle or have some query.
I have shortlisted 2 safari's from TCS (Mumbai Number - done 35890 km & 45730 km with full co. maintained service record . EX variants in prime condition inside out.
The idiot wants 4 L , I have offered 3.50 for the aug 2005 models.
Any idea about realistic 'buying' price?
Old 12th March 2010, 11:46   #39
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
I have shortlisted 2 safari's from TCS (Mumbai Number - done 35890 km & 45730 km with full co. maintained service record . EX variants in prime condition inside out.
Anything between 3.5 and 4L is a good price if you have a record of the services and the condition is good!

Do check for tyre condition - you are talking 24K for 4 tyres very soon if the condition isn't good!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 12th March 2010, 12:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the mileage is less as you have written under 50,000kms then 3.75 lac will be a good price considering the fact that it is a EX variant.
I have an LX variant, and any LX variant 2004 model TCIC should not cost you more than 3.2L.

Go ahead with 3.75 price tag(if he dissagrees on 3.5L) and buy the vehicle you are getting an excellent buy.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
If the mileage is less as you have written under 50,000kms then 3.75 lac will be a good price considering the fact that it is a EX variant.
I have an LX variant, and any LX variant 2004 model TCIC should not cost you more than 3.2L.

Go ahead with 3.75 price tag(if he dissagrees on 3.5L) and buy the vehicle you are getting an excellent buy.
Both vehicles are 2005 aug models with consecutive numbers - Mumbai Registrations. The tyres are in good condition changed in aug. 2008. Isnt 3.5 very good price for that model ?
I thought TCIC have poor resale.
I have seen 2007 dicors for about 4.25 to 4.5.
I have some dealer friends who value a excellent condition TCIC 2005 @ 3.25 TO 3.5.

Carwale rates the selling price @ 3.36 for excellent conditon to a dealer. He makes a cool 40 grands for juts showing the vehicle?

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 12th March 2010 at 22:20.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both vehicles are 2005 aug models with consecutive numbers - Mumbai Registrations. The tyres are in good condition changed in aug. 2008. Isnt 3.5 very good price for that model ?
I thought TCIC have poor resale.
I have seen 2007 dicors for about 4.25 to 4.5.
I have some dealer friends who value a excellent condition TCIC 2005 @ 3.25 TO 3.5.

Carwale rates the selling price @ 3.36 for excellent conditon to a dealer. He makes a cool 40 grands for juts showing the vehicle?
3.5L is a good price. TCIC's have a better resale value than DICORS, In my area i have seen 2000 TCIC SAFARI's to be sold at 3.25L just a year ago. And at the same time a DICOR 2006 for 5.25 which is way to less when compared to TCIC 2000 rate here in Indore.

Oh man!! are you really telling the fact;, A dicor for 4.5 L. Is Mumbai a good place to buy cheap cars, tell me so that next time i will come to buy a DICOR SAFARI there only. But, that will be done once my car reaches its milestone of 3L maybe a year or 2 wait.
Old 13th March 2010, 16:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
3.5L is a good price. TCIC's have a better resale value than DICORS, In my area i have seen 2000 TCIC SAFARI's to be sold at 3.25L just a year ago. And at the same time a DICOR 2006 for 5.25 which is way to less when compared to TCIC 2000 rate here in Indore.

Oh man!! are you really telling the fact;, A dicor for 4.5 L. Is Mumbai a good place to buy cheap cars, tell me so that next time i will come to buy a DICOR SAFARI there only. But, that will be done once my car reaches its milestone of 3L maybe a year or 2 wait.
a fully loaded late 2008 SAFARI 2.2 vtt can be had for7.5 lacs/ 8 L ( at a dealer ), I have seen 2008 DEC 2.2m lx done 80 k going for as low as 4.75 lacs/ 5.25.
The 2007 early 3 lit are available for 4 to 4.75 lacs.
I am telling the truth brother.
Only probem is the middlemen make too much money ( even in the range of 6 figs ).
Now suddenly there is a market for safari's. too many 'netas' from rural areas want to be seen in Mr. Rahul Gandhi's wheels.
Old 13th March 2010, 16:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I want to know the price of WINDOW side view mirrors. Today one 'Great sole' scraped the left side mirror by his 407(as told by people).

In my car the mirrors are with INDICATOR's in them.

Quote:
a fully loaded late 2008 SAFARI 2.2 vtt can be had for7.5 lacs/ 8 L ( at a dealer ), I have seen 2008 DEC 2.2m lx done 80 k going for as low as 4.75 lacs/ 5.25.
The 2007 early 3 lit are available for 4 to 4.75 lacs.
I am telling the truth brother.
Only probem is the middlemen make too much money ( even in the range of 6 figs ).
Now suddenly there is a market for safari's. too many 'netas' from rural areas want to be seen in Mr. Rahul Gandhi's wheels.

Buy soon, i cannot wait now.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Am back from 2400kms long trip to Haridwar, there were 8 passengers accomodated in the SUV with the 3rd row benches removed and carpet placed for better comfort and sleeping. Most of the time speeds were 80-90kmph and the mileage extracted 11.98(12 approx) with AC ON.

Hitted some pothholes really badly that, the whole rear suspension seemed tobe banged fully at the time of pothhole hitting. The NEXEN AT II tyres performed well, but, were a bit noisy then Michellin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks