Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 12:15   #1
BHPian

Toyota Corolla Altis AT *UPDATE: 67000 KM, 8 years- now on CNG!*

I bought Toyota Corolla Altis AT - 1.8 VL this year on Jan 1st 2009.
Now I am done with 2nd servicing today with 8500 Kms.
Here is quick recap.
--------
I was looking for new car for last couple of years. After driving cars in US, I wanted to have a nice automatic car. core points were,
1. ABS + AirBags - no compromise.
2. AT - no compromise.
3. ACC
4. Good comfort like any car in US.
I had limited choice, Santro AT, Optra AT, Corolla AT, Civic AT, City AT.
By the time I decide, I heard i10 AT coming, so I drop Santro AT. City & Santro AT was not having enough power and then ABS + airbags. Optra AT left Indian market. I10 AT was too small.Finally I landed with New City, Civic, Corolla.
New city, I drove and liked it but did not like service of dealer. Also car was not much VFM as price was around 10 lac + without ACC. I had last 2 options, Civic or Corolla. I done extensive search on both cars, read lot of reviews on this forum. Finally decided make a call last Dec.
Took back to back TD for both Civic & Altis. In first TD itself, I loved the Corolla Altis. The fully loaded Corolla Altis AT was just fantastic. The sales team at dealership DSK Toyota was very polite, they provided all data to compare it against Civic and other cars. The interior, the comfort, ACC, features like cruise control are great. The car looks really great. I done three test drives one with family, one with sales guy, one with my friends. DSK offered free insurance.I put on reverse sensor with camera, reading light at rear. Reviews from Vasudev really helped. I will definately recomand DSK toyota dealership. They given very good service and even prepared for pooja, given pick up.
----
Now info from last one year.
I drove the car in and around Pune. The first servicing done on Jan 31st 2009.
It was just standard. In feb, I got big survey docs from Toyota Bangalore to fill. Toyota asked lot of questions about product, feature requests, dealership.
Toyota dealer and Bangalore (2 times) made 5-6 calls during year asking about Kms running, hows car running, any issues etc. This was great.

I drove the car on automatic with AC throughout year, I got around 9 Kms/ltr as milage with speed of 10-30 Kms/hr in Pune city traffic. On highway I got milage around 15 Kms/ltr, with speed of 120-180 Kms/hr and 13Kms/ltr with speed of 80-120 Kms/hr. It was great drive no issues at all.

In last month, I faced issue of auto door lock above 20 KMs/hr stopped working. Totota fixed it in servicing yeaterday. In conclusion I am very satisfied customer for Toyota & DSK both.

Commercial Facts:
Model- 1.8 VL in Pune PMC Limits.
ex- showroom-1273740
Insurance (United)-40647
Registration & road tax -91937
miscellaneous- 5000
onroad -1410920
accessories-9563
Total -1420083
Discount- 43810 (free insurance)
Net Payment- 1382731/-
------
floor mats- 1122
reading lamp-1299
cargo net-1426
luggage tray- 1426
camera with sensor-9450
fixing,camera charges-739
net fitting charges- 179
total cost of accessories -15535
--------
First Servicing - at 1K Kms - 0 /-
Second Servicing - at 10K Kms / 1 yr Rs. 1754/-
In 2nd servicing oil change, filter change etc.
-------
Cost of running
Total Kms- 8500
Avg Mileage - 9.5
Ltr - Petrol (no Speed/power) - 895 Ltrs
Approx cost of petrol - Rs. 41200/-
Note: All running with A/C on and 80 % in City, Only one person on board (when driving in city).
------------
Pricing difference
On Jan 1st 2009, on road price for 1.8 VL (AT, top end) - 1420083/- and with discount Rs.1382731/-
On 15 Dec 2009, on road price for 1.8 VL (AT, top end) Rs. 1523380/-
------------
new onroad in PMC area on 15 Dec 2009
1.8 J -1094860
1. 8 G -12275640
1.8 GL -1417970
1.8 VL- 1523380
LE Sport -1315520

--------------
Loan - Loan was taken from SBI, Pune.
Loan Amount: Rs. 1100000/-
Rate of Interest - 12% PA fixed.
Loan processing fee: 5500/-
Loan period: 7 yrs.
EMI: 19565/-
Loan closed in Nov 2009.
Loan preclosure charges by SBI: NIL - zero.
--------
RTO Pune charges for removing hypo & processing form 35- RS. 470/-
---------

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 15th December 2009 at 12:21.
mrkanitkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2009, 12:21   #2
BHPian

Neat and brief review there. Please post some pics and also more details about the handling of the car. Are you planning for any tyre upgrades?

PS: What is the color of the car?

Last edited by Liverpool_Red : 15th December 2009 at 12:22.
Old 15th December 2009, 13:01   #3
BHPian

Well, Color is Silver.
Car handling is really good, even if you drive at 160-180 Kms per hr, you don't feel that speed. It stops quickly at high speed. The steering gives good response. The 8 way seat for driver & cruise control is real fun.
I could easily finish Pune-Mumbai express way in less than an hr & Pune- Kolhapur in 2.5 hrs. I never get tired even after long drive.
The tyres are of Bridgestnone.
I was trying to get sensors for front as parking space in my office is small but could not upgrade since I already have Falcon's sensors with camera for rear.
The local after market guys do not have any great things to offer, infact they do not offer to work on any eletric accessories as they are not sure about electrical diagrams, any cut in wire will cause break in warranty.
Options are
1. go for DVD with LCD - not much use for me.
2. go for GPS - will be external so not interested.
3. bluetooth phone device - I already have it from Venturi - cost Rs. 6000/- it broadcast voice to FM, which can be tuned in radio. This really helps when you want to do conf calls to customers, US calls etc.

My wish list
1. TPW - tyre pressure warning system
2. CNG kit with warranty.
3. A/C controls on steering
4. Electronic stabilty control kit by Toyota, if possible.
5. Sunroof.

Note: pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Corolla Altis AT *UPDATE: 67000 KM, 8 years- now on CNG!*-dsc04123.jpg  

Toyota Corolla Altis AT *UPDATE: 67000 KM, 8 years- now on CNG!*-dsc04124.jpg  

Toyota Corolla Altis AT *UPDATE: 67000 KM, 8 years- now on CNG!*-dsc04125.jpg  

Toyota Corolla Altis AT *UPDATE: 67000 KM, 8 years- now on CNG!*-dsc04127.jpg  

Toyota Corolla Altis AT *UPDATE: 67000 KM, 8 years- now on CNG!*-dsc04128.jpg  

Toyota Corolla Altis AT *UPDATE: 67000 KM, 8 years- now on CNG!*-dsc04131.jpg  

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 15th December 2009 at 13:05.
Old 15th December 2009, 13:10   #4
BHPian

I like the report - clean, crisp and with full figures. Congrats.

Reports like these makes us understand why Toyota Altis leads the segment by a W-I-D-E margin.

Any reasons why you did not have Laura / Jetta DSG in your consideration set?

Cheers,
Old 15th December 2009, 13:31   #5
BHPian

well, not going to Laura, Jetta because I don't want to face Skoda issues, no requirment for Diesel, DSG failure reports & dealership service.
Toyota pre-sales and after sales service is unique. They treat you with great respect. Last month they called me to remind about servicing. The service center is outside city, but they do pick up in city office. When I booked servicing few days in advance and visited dealership to drop the car, the service manager was already there with all info about my car. He was just ready with all docs. The moment I told him my name, he shown all docs, the data about running Kms reported by me over phone in last few months etc. When car was ready, they called me on cell and also kept message on another line. I got same treatment before I made purchase decision, after I got delivery and at each servicing, they don't show different attitude once you buy their product.
There were few small scraches on bumper, I asked him about how much to fix it? He said nothing, it will be done for free as it's very small. I was just surprised to see. I forgotten my wife's sunglass in car, I found it just there even after servicing. (My tape recorder stopped working when I given my Maruti for servicing because Maruti service guy at Sai service tried to steal the cassette few yrs back & I never got anything if I forgot it car).
I got 2 packets of Toyota solution as windscreen cleaner & they also returned the oil cans with extra new Oil, which was left out after oil change.
The service manager assured that same service next year. Corolla needs servicing after 10 K kms or 1 yr. You need to change coolant after 1.5 lac Kms. He said normally servicing charges are around 2000-2200 INR if there is no denting-painting work.

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 15th December 2009 at 13:33.
Old 15th December 2009, 13:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
I bought Toyota Corolla Altis AT - 1.8 VL this year on Jan 1st 2009.

Now info from last one year.
I drove the car in and around Pune. The first servicing done on Jan 31st 2009.
It was just standard. In feb, I got big survey docs from Toyota Bangalore to fill. Toyota asked lot of questions about product, feature requests, dealership.
Toyota dealer and Bangalore (2 times) made 5-6 calls during year asking about Kms running, hows car running, any issues etc. This was great.

Mr. Kanitkar, That is an amazing review, very crisp, with all the necessary details, facts, figures.

Now i understand the difference between Number 1 company in automobiles market globally Vs rest. Toyota seems to be listening to thier customers a lot.

Belated Congratulations to you for buying Altis and having a haslefree, nigglefree ownership period.

Keep posting.
Old 15th December 2009, 17:16   #7
BHPian

Very nice to the point review.

Some very good mileage you have got. Belated congrats and do keep updating the thread.
Old 15th December 2009, 17:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic 1 year update on your car mrkanitkar. You can never go wrong with a Corolla. The car is serving you like it should. The AT must surely be a boon in that Pune traffic. I like your attention to detail in the review. Looking forward to the next update.

Drive safe.
Old 15th December 2009, 18:00   #9
BHPian

Very factual review, very nice.

One thing that stands out, even more than the intrinsic quality of the car, is the a** and the attitude of the staff. Very revealing I am sure, for all other car marques operating in India.
I had a pleasant before sale experience too with Toyota when I was considering the Altis as an option. Did not get to experience the a** for obvious reasons

Regards
Old 16th December 2009, 12:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

very good review, liked the numbers, nice track you have kept.

Loved the pictures, well maintained vehicle.

Didnt I say nice choice of the vehicle with AT option !!

The ASC story convinces us more about Toyota as a brand V/S the others. Truly stands out.
Old 16th December 2009, 13:02   #11
JLS
BHPian

mrkanitkar,
Corolla looks simply magestic in silver colour, congratulations on great car and thanks for excellent report!

One question reg. FE, you had mentioned that you got 15 KM/L while driving at 120-180 KM/H and 13 KM/L while driving at 80-120 KM/H. Can you pls. clarify this. I believe cars would give higher FE in 80-120 band compared to 120-180 band. Or is Corolla tuned differently?

Regards,

JLS
Old 17th December 2009, 09:25   #12
BHPian

Well I am not sure about tuning, 15km/ktr at 120-180 km/hr was on express way wih A/C on and 5 people on board with no stopping & using cruise control. If I remember correctly rpm for 80-120 was around 2000-2200 and for 120-180 it was around 2600-3000. In normal city it's 800 at idle & 1800 at 10-40 KMs/hr.
Old 17th December 2009, 09:38   #13
BHPian

Excellent review and very well supported by facts and figures. Reviews like this will help new buyers and would help them see things in perspective. Corolla is an excellent car and good luck with the ride. Have fun and drive safe.
Old 18th December 2009, 15:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
Well, Color is Silver.
The local after market guys do not have any great things to offer, infact they do not offer to work on any eletric accessories as they are not sure about electrical diagrams, any cut in wire will cause break in warranty.
Great post and great looking car even after a year! Did you think of adding seat covers or feel the stock ones are good?

I guess that also takes care of me fixing a 2 Din music/video system. I did not know the "wire cut warranty loss" thing. The sun visor DVD wouldnt work either because its too long and will not close all the way. Oh well.
Old 19th December 2009, 01:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

D E P E N D A B L E Toyota

First off many many congratulations on your Toyota! I hope it gives you many many years of pleasant driving!!

I recall in US I used to own a second hand Toyota Corolla- which I had picked up at 22K miles. In fact car is so dependable that let me relate an incident to you....
At around 80 k miles I had got my car "winterized" at Pep-Boys just prior to my planned trip to NYC with in-laws. winterized means that basically they flush the coolant and replace it with a coolant that has anti-freeze properties. As my car was old, it radiator had probably developed micro-leaks - which I did not notice when I had taken delivery from Pep-Boys after service. Anyhow, it was bitterly cold (at least -10 C) the next morning when whole family piled into the car and drove to NYC. Shopping whole day - and then we returned to the NYC parking lot to go back home to Pennsylvania (driving distance to our city was 200 miles).

I started driving, and the engine temperature rose - beyond the usual mark. I looked once and looked again - it just continued to rise - until I was at about 40 mi/hour - then it would settle down.
When we got to Hudson tunnel on way out of NYC- as usual it was bumper to bumper traffic. This time - I found the needle just would not settle down when car was idling in traffic but would continue to rise. Alarmed I continued turning - off , turning - on the ignition, as I inched forward slowly. Once outside the tunnel, I reached 60 mi/hr and everything was fine - all the way home.

Anyway, next day I took it to the Toyota dealer, and on examination he found that not a drop of coolant was in the radiator - it had all leaked. (I had about 1500$ as repair bill).He asked me, it is funny that you could drive the vehicle here - I related to him my previous night's story of driving 200 mi from NYC and he looked incredulous.
Next day called one of my american friends who actually worked in toyota somewhere on west coast - and he told me that some parts of the engine/engine bay had been designed to have a fail-over air cooled system. I dont know if he was fluffing - all I know is that I drove 200 mi on a very cold night w/o a drop of coolant in the car.
Suffice to say- now that I am returned to India for good - and was on the market for a new MUV/SUV I settled on the Innova 2 months ago.
Hats off Toyota!
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks