Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 22:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!

So it all started again, We first bought Safari on March 07. After riding almost 80,000 kms in almost all type of highways/roads/no roads/jungles. I had enough guts to buy one more. But this time i was confused because unlike my Golden beast this one will be used in Metro Cities. I was getting inclined towards Scorpio, after enough of sleepless nights/discussions. It was time to make decision. Next day I woke up and thought Today i will have to make decision. So i went to our Vehicle parking place. First i started our one and half years old Scorpio, drove it for 15 kms then i started our two years old Safari 2.2 and drove it for 5 kms That's it.
I made my decision it should be Safari nothing else. Told my family members about my decision. Now next question Lx, Ex, Gx or Vx. As we are already using 2.2 Ex and I can't afford Gx and Vx. So it should be either Lx or Ex but 1.5 lacs rupees of difference was too much for a employed person staying in Metro and yet to buy a flat/not married.
Next Question which colour??????? I always loved Silver right from Luna, Bobby GTS, Suzuki Shogun i got them Silvered. Even if i would have allowed i would have painted all my vehicles CJ3b, GPW, 540 etc in Silver.
So finally i with my father and brother gave a visit to nearest Tata showroom, we told them Safari 2.2, Lx Silver colour with Body coloured bumpers and cladding and Fog lamps. Showroom owner happens to be our old Acquaintance. But now the problem is they do not have Silver Lx in stock and if they order it would take minimum two weeks to get it. Simple solutionn get it from another dealer, after few phone calls we traced a vehicle 480 kms from our place. Owner informed us and we gave him go ahead it was around 04:30 evening. I thought it would take them two-three days to get the vehicle and in meantime i will get the finance from SBI.
Next morning at sharp 10:00 AM we got a call from dealer that vehicle has arrived and being taken to paint booth and you can come and see the vehicle and can collect the same next day. But one problem it was 02nd October, banks are closed and next day is Saturday so before Monday we would not be able to get cash. In any case we were not going to take delivery on Saturday. I had one problem on Sunday that i had to return to Delhi for my office. Anyways we told them to get the vehicle ready. To compound my problem my father gave ultimatum that without consulting our Kulguru we will not take delivery. And our Kulguru gave us the date of 12th October, which is 10 days later as of today.
We informed the Dealer about delivery date and he has no issues about this, but the problem was the vehicle should be in my name and i will have to come to my hometown again and during weekdays to complete Bank Formalities.
So my SAFARI was ready waiting for it's owner for another 10 days, my badluck i couldn't get leaves again and infact i got leave on November. So on 12th October we paid token amount of Rs 1 and took the delivery, he had been informed that once i comback to my Hometown all formlities would be done. Although i was in Delhi on 12th October but i did make umpteen calls to my brother, mailed him T-Bhp check list and we got delivery of vehicle in my absence.
I went to home on 30th October, completed all the formalities gave cheque to Tata dealer and now vehicle is officially mine. Meanwhile vehicle was already done with First Servicing.
First Servicing: As when we got delivery Safari was already driven 500 kms, so after three days we covered rest 600 kms and she went for First Servicing.
Issues: Not much. was not able to operate rear Power Windows from front and rear door was ratteling too much. SA found that Tata Motors didnt fit all bolts on rear door and one of the bolt was lying in rear door and that was making noise. Replaced switch for rear power window.
Second Servicing: 5400Kms. We covered this distance exactly in one month and three days. Again not too many issues, because we we already have one 2.2 so was accustomed to some of it's niggles. Cross was making tik-tak sound in low speed and all doors were rattling. Other than this Routine service was done.
Trips: Done three One day - One Thousand kms trip. Went to Panna National Park and Bandhavgarh National Park, Khajuraho and various places in MP, UP, Bihar, Jharkhand and W.B.
My Safari has completed more than 7500 Kms as on 08th december 09. Vehicle is taking rest in Kolkata now for one month. Once i will go back to Kolkata, i will get her ready for 4000 kms trip.
+ves of SAFARI : Undoubtedly king of road, One of the best front pillion seat, Value for Money, Good FE, can be used to go anywhere excluding hard 4x4 areas.
-ves of SAFARI : Already mentioned by many; One of the worst QC, in my case Tata Motors forgot to put all bolts of rear door, Thank god they didn't forget to put rear door atleast . Too much rattling, After every 1000 kms trip i have to go to TASS for it.
This is all for now. Will keep you posted on my vehicle periodically.
Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!-100_0791.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!-100_0975.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!-100_0976.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!-dsci0135.jpg  

Old 17th December 2009, 12:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
So it all started again, We first bought Safari on March 07. After riding almost 80,000 kms in almost all type of highways/roads/no roads/jungles. I had enough guts to buy one more. But this time i was confused because unlike my Golden beast this one will be used in Metro Cities. I was getting inclined towards Scorpio, after enough of sleepless nights/discussions. It was time to make decision. Next day I woke up and thought Today i will have to make decision. So i went to our Vehicle parking place. First i started our one and half years old Scorpio, drove it for 15 kms then i started our two years old Safari 2.2 and drove it for 5 kms That's it.
I am confused with the dates, are you talking of an earlier 3.0 ltr as the Safari 2.2 was launched around 7th Oct 2007 only and you couldnt have owned a 2.2l before that date ??, so you earlier test and decisive rides were on a 3.0 ??
Old 17th December 2009, 14:34   #3
BHPian

Hi Shubhendra
Where did you get the lamp cluster that you have put on the roof? Is it a standard accessory available in shops , what is the price. Your car looks really macho with the lights.Always wanted such lights for my Safari.
Old 18th December 2009, 16:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I am confused with the dates, are you talking of an earlier 3.0 ltr as the Safari 2.2 was launched around 7th Oct 2007 only and you couldnt have owned a 2.2l before that date ??, so you earlier test and decisive rides were on a 3.0 ??
My Bad Dadu, it should have been November 07, as it is two years old.

Regards,
SHubhendra Singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
Hi Shubhendra
Where did you get the lamp cluster that you have put on the roof? Is it a standard accessory available in shops , what is the price. Your car looks really macho with the lights.Always wanted such lights for my Safari.
I bought it from Delhi, after so much seraching i found this six light cluster. It was in black colour , i got it painted in Silver. It was for 4500 Rs. Just a suggestion It's a illegal fitment, so be aware.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Last edited by aah78 : 26th May 2011 at 01:12. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 18th May 2011, 15:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms Done: Still loving it

All,
It's been a long time since i updated this thread. I was away from T-Bhp for long, and didn’t update this thread. Lot of things has happened during last one year.
My safari has completed around 28,000 kms. Saw various ups and downs during last 20000 kms, especially when vehicle was in Kolkata.
Some major incidents
1) Gave vehicle to RD motors (Kolkata) in April 2011, as clutch was very hard and vehicle was pulling towards left while breaking, loose handbrake etc. service center took one full week instead of 3 days which they committed. When I went there to pick my vehicle, it had huge dent on right side rear door. After half an hour of circus, they accepted their fault and gave me one week time to collect my vehicle back. Due to this delay one of the major incident of my life happened…………anyways after 10 days I went their to pick my vehicle, I did not check any thing as I was stuck in something very bad. I simply took delivery and next day I had to leave for 1200 kms trip. I found Hand brake was that hard that I can’t simply lift it up. While setting hand brake they played with rear AC vent and air flow was coming from gaps in handbreak instead of vent.
Clutch became hard after 700-800 kms, and when I reached my home 1200 kms from Kolkata, clutch went kapoot. I had to tow my vehicle to nearest service center (25kms). I still consider myself lucky, if it would have stuck somewhere in Bihar (my route goes through Bihar) in the middle of night, what would have happened!!! When they (TASS in my hometown) checked clutch they found RD Motors mechanic didn’t fit clutch pipe correctly, so it came off after 1000 kms. Also they didn’t fit hand brake assembly correctly; even they couldn’t set my doors effectively. But I really appreciate my hometown TASS, they did wonderful job.
2) Few months back in March 2011, I gave my vehicle to TASS in Pune for setting doors, they brushed my left rear bumper. I fail to understand these people and their attitude.

Other then these two major incidents, vehicle is mostly trouble free. I have covered most of the Konkan area, and many more jungles near Pune. I did take my vehicle to such an interior Jungle where very few people venture.
Positive Side of Safari Ownership
a) Very good ground clearance, crossed various obstacles in Jungle and interiors, where only Jeep and Gypsies venture.
b) Ergonomic driving condition, few months back did 1450 kms trip alone. And during last 1 and half years covered various states (WB, Orissa, Bihar, MP, UP, C.G., Delhi, HR, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Hariyana etc). most of the times I drive myself and cover 900-1000 kms on a single day. Other than pain in left leg joint due to clutch, no major fatigue.
c) Fuel Economy – 12-13.5 kmpl. I never got less than 11 kmpl in worst to worst condition.
d) Large Capacity Fuel Tank – can easily cover 650-700 kms in a single thankful.

Negative Side of safari Ownership
a) Too much niggles, although small but very irritating. In last two months rear left parking light, horn conked off.
b) Front power window mechanism is so bad that after every 5-6 month I have to service them.
c) Door noises, I learnt to live with them, but these can be avoided by TaTa, if they spend some time on their R&D
d) Mostly problem is with interior fit and finish.
e) Vehicle is too heavy and during offroading simply get stuck.

Overall
I still love my vehicle. It has taken me to various interior places and with comfort. It also withstood many abuses i.e. bad roads, no roads etc. three days back I stuck in such a bad situation, that vehicle was on the verge of cliff. I had to call Crane service, spent whole night in jungle and vehicle had to lift from front. Other than basic niggles it is Value For Money vehicle. Mostly problems can be rectified and can be corrected very easily, but just because of lack of knowledge of TASS people, we suffer. Tata should seriously do something to improve quality of work in TASS.
I still feel sad that I didn’t buy 4x4 version, but my next vehicle would be again SAFARI 4x4!!!!!!

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!-pic000012.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!-safari-3.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!-safari-1.jpg  

Old 20th May 2011, 03:32   #6
BANNED

re: Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!

I see that you have an MP-19 registration number which is Satna and your vehicle has a "Nagod" sticker on it.

Are you from that area? Satna, Panna, Nagod etc??
Old 20th May 2011, 12:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I see that you have an MP-19 registration number which is Satna and your vehicle has a "Nagod" sticker on it.

Are you from that area? Satna, Panna, Nagod etc??
Yes Sir,
I am from that area and to be precise from Nagod. That's why you see Nagod sticker on my vehicle. By any chance have you been there.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 25th May 2011, 11:06   #8
BANNED

Re: Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Yes Sir,
I am from that area and to be precise from Nagod. That's why you see Nagod sticker on my vehicle. By any chance have you been there.
Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
I have spent more than half my age in those areas Sir. Basically at and near Singrauli.
Old 20th August 2014, 17:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!

After serving for more than four years, My Safari moved on to a new city nearby to a new owner.
In 4 years, i never faced a big issue except few small niggles, alignment issues etc... i regularly got fuel efficiency of 12-14.5 KMPL.
During her usage vehicle covered more than half of India except South India, express way, good roads to bad or non existent roads, it never got tired. sometimes it worked for more than 24 hrs non stop, sometimes overloaded, sometimes in a deep Jungle to a urban concrete jungle....

Would i buy a Tata Safari again - Yes but not in a near future till new Safari Storme is well accepted by customers. And this time it has to be 4x4

parting shot of my Safari

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!-20131117_101711.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 28000 Kms: Less hassles, More Journey!!!-20131117_101553.jpg

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks