Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 02:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

The idle seems fine. Clutch is subjective, and not a characteristic of a car - the previous owner may have ridden the clutch. Have it checked and replaced, and you should be fine. Look up the thread on how to see if your clutch needs replacing here...
Old 4th July 2010, 10:14   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
This thread contains some good info on the Elantra crdi, so thought I'd post a query here.
I've recently purchased a used 2005 Elantra crdi with 65k on the clock. Got it checked at Hyundai, saw the service history... car was clean and got a green signal from the a.s.c. So, went for it.

I've driven it a couple of days and the following issues have surfaced:
- Idle rpm seems to be a little low at around 900. What is the normal idle rpm?
If 900 is low, how can this be fixed?
- Clutch seems to have a question mark around it: While revving past 3k rpm, it feels like the revs sort of 'slip' before going past 3k. That is, the car revs smoothly up to 3k, then drops/slips back to around 2800, before going past 3000.
- Smell: after a good bit of bumper to bumper driving or spirited driving there is a rotten eggs kind of stink. I am told this is a sign of clutch problem - is this true?

Something tells me the clutch might be the common link here. It wasn't changed in the last 5 years of ownership as per the service records.
Elantra's average clutch life is 60k-70k kms, I have a lot of Elantra's in my friend circle and my SA keeps me updated with everything about the cases they see.

The complete clutch job will cost you around 15k including taxes. This includes Clutch plate+Pressure plate+Flywheel+Clutch release bearing+Labour+Taxes.

Idle at 900rpm is OK.
Old 4th July 2010, 11:55   #63
Senior - BHPian

What are the usual signs that the clutch needs changing?
Old 4th July 2010, 12:37   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
What are the usual signs that the clutch needs changing?
There can be many signs, depending on what is worn?
  1. If revs rise faster and you do not feel the gain in actual kph, it can be Worn Clutch plate.
  2. If the Pedal is very hard, it can be the Pressure plate.
  3. If the pedal has inconsistent feel, especially during morning starts it can be master cylinder.
  4. If you feel a lot of judder, especially before turbo kick-in, it can be scratched Flywheel.
Old 7th July 2010, 19:52   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Did you check the car, Please update. Please get the car checked at a Hyundai workshop before finalising the deal, also get the service record checked there.

Hey Anshuman,

Thanks for your reply. Saw the car and took a test drive as well.
Ita a petrol Elantra 2006 model done 40k km. Its navy blue colour with quite a few scratches on the body.
During the test drive, it was fully loaded with 5 people. Must say, this car rides well. Acellerated well, is stable, feels solid. Interiors were luxurious, leather seats, the stereo and the odo console look dated though. Another bother was the CD changer with no mp3.

Otherwise, I liked the car and so did most of my friends who had come along enthusiastically. Now, the history is that the present owner (works in my office) is the second owner who bought this car 10months ago and has done 3.5k km only. The first owner was a DJ cum businessman. Absolutely sure that the price will go down below 5L. Am still confused whether to go for this car. Everybody's advising that maintenance will be prohibitevely expensive and resale value even poorer.

Request your comments.

Thanks!
Old 9th July 2010, 14:49   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Hi Coolnawab,
Going by your description the car looks good. Maintaining Elantra is not expensive. 5L for a petrol is too high. Elantra Petrol will not find many takers whenever you will need to sell it, meaning low resale value. Elantra Petrol is rumoured to have low FE, i have never driven one so can't comment.

Why don't you search for a Elantra CRDi? Its much much better to drive.

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th June 2012 at 11:09.
Old 4th August 2010, 08:08   #67
Senior - BHPian

Hey. Just saw that your car was in the classifieds. This car has been fantastically documented, good luck with the sale.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the thought behind the sale? Anything new on your mind?
Old 4th August 2010, 12:01   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Hey. Just saw that your car was in the classifieds. This car has been fantastically documented, good luck with the sale.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the thought behind the sale? Anything new on your mind?
I had thoughts of buying used Civic/Accord for a short time before i upgrade to a new Diesel AT sedan. But i have been searching for Honda's, i did not come across cars in as good condition as mine, so i have dropped the plan of selling Elantra for now. In the mean time i got good offers for Elantra but had to say no due lack of upgrade options.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th August 2010 at 12:02.
Old 29th September 2010, 17:47   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Noisy Elantra

Something abnormal suspected-
Slowly over the last 10k kms my car started feeling very noisy, even the vibrations are on the higher side. The Power delivery, FE and oil consumption is all normal. There are no other issues. The car does not smoke even on high revs, the cylinder compression is normal.

I got the car checked at the time of last service, the technicians told me everything was normal. Some time later a friend bought an used Elantra done 70k kms, in comparison my car felt like PD engined Fabia.

I suspected it to either worn out Rocker arms(or something related to timing gear), Flywheel or Engine mountings.

The Cause-
Today finally i consulted my Service advisor and took the car to ASC, they checked the car again. The first technician said everything was OK, i disagreed and asked for someone who is more experienced. Finally the technician who works on my car checked the car again. An Engine mounting was found to be damaged. The part was not available so they will order it now, hopefully my beloved Elantra will be normal again by early next week, till then ill have to bear the high NVH.
Old 7th October 2010, 21:57   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Mounting Replaced

After around a week the Engine mounting arrived from Chennai. The part was replaced. The car is absolutely silent now, I am loving this new found refinement.

Part: Bracket assy- Engine Mounting
Part #: 218102D200
Cost: Rs.4985 + Tax
Old 17th October 2010, 17:15   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Some Pics

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00279-large.jpg

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00285-large.jpg

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00287-large.jpg

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00288-large.jpg

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00289-large.jpg

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00291-large.jpg

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00292-large.jpg

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00296-large.jpg

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00298-large.jpg

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00373-large.jpg
Old 17th October 2010, 17:17   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more Pics-
Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00381-large.jpg

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00442-large.jpg

Hyundai Elantra CRDi Loooong term report and review-dsc00446-large.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th October 2010 at 17:21.
Old 17th October 2010, 17:28   #73
Senior - BHPian

Your car definitely doesn't look 1.27 L Kms old. Very well maintained!
Old 1st December 2010, 18:53   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

The Elantra finds a new home for herself. Finally after serving me for years, i have let her go with a heavy heart. Out of all the cars i have owned, i loved this car the most. Sold it for 4.5L.

A new initial ownership report for the replacement car coming within a day or two. Hint: It's faster and more fun to drive than the Elantra. Almost the same size but a bit more classy.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:06   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Elantra finds a new home for herself. Finally after serving me for years, i have let her go with a heavy heart. Out of all the cars i have owned, i loved this car the most. Sold it for 4.5L.

A new initial ownership report for the replacement car coming within a day or two. Hint: It's faster and more fun to drive than the Elantra. Almost the same size but a bit more classy.
Oh!! A very good price that. For the way you have maintained, it deserves the same.
So, is it a Cruze???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks