Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 17:03   #451
BHPian

re: Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Manuuj, do you keep records of service and replacement costs. If so, can you share the entire amount of money you spent on this vehicle for servicing and repairs(excluding accessories?)

Also, was there any thing that failed(eg sensor, component, belt etc.,)
Hi Nilanjan. yes i do keep a complete record. I have the invoices for each service and any work done on Obelix.

It has been calculated and compiled till the 1 lac km mark as you may see in couple of pages before this post on the 1 lac km report.

I shall compile the balance 8 bills for the next 40,000 kms also very soon and present the results here.

No failures of any kind to report so far. All sensors, belts etc working perfectly. Just had the original Battery replaced with the Amaron one after 5 years of use.

Apart from that there has been no issue at all.

Last edited by Manuuj : 24th March 2015 at 17:05.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 18:06   #452
BHPian

Good to see the suspension holding up for so long. Have replaced all the shock absorbers once in 1,60,000km in my Innova. And now my lower arm bushes have gone bust, since the bushes are not available seperately have to change the entire A-arm assembly which is a costly affair!

How is the paint holding up did it turn yellowish as feared by many in the earlier pages?
Old 11th October 2015, 21:51   #453
Team-BHP Support

re: Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Apart from that there has been no issue at all.
Hi!

One of my close acquaintance is interested in picking up a used classic Fortuner which is just short of 80K [as reported by the seller]

What kilometers are on the odo now of Obelix? I believe the experience has been satisfactory till date.

Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 12:28   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

One of my close acquaintance is interested in picking up a used classic Fortuner which is just short of 80K [as reported by the seller]

What kilometers are on the odo now of Obelix? I believe the experience has been satisfactory till date.

Thanks
Obelix is now at 1,54,000 kms and has just completed its second trip to Spiti Valley.

Its had its Timing belt replaced as per schedule at 1,50,000 kms and im happy to report that its still running on its original Clutch Plate.

There have been ZERO breakdowns so far and its happily chugging along.

Here is a pic of it from September 2015 chilling by the banks of the Sutlej on its way to Kaza from Nako in the Spiti Valley.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-1.jpg

I feel that as far as you keep the Fortuner serviced periodically as per the company schedule it will never give you any trouble. It completed its second trip to Spiti without a hiccup and its emission levels were also found to be well under control when a Pollution Test was carried out in Manali on the way back to Delhi.

So if the Fortuner that your friend is looking at is non accidental, has been well cared for and has the invoices from the services carried out to prove it then by all means he can happily go ahead and buy some peace of mind in the form of a Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Good to see the suspension holding up for so long. Have replaced all the shock absorbers once in 1,60,000km in my Innova. And now my lower arm bushes have gone bust, since the bushes are not available seperately have to change the entire A-arm assembly which is a costly affair!

How is the paint holding up did it turn yellowish as feared by many in the earlier pages?
Hi sorry for the late reply.. its just that i haven't checked in with tbhp for a while.

One of my rear shockers had developed a leak and was replaced a few months ago. Apart from that its all been smooth sailing as far as the suspension department goes.

The paint had yellowed a bit after almost 6 years of dust grime and pollution, but was easily rectified by getting a professional rubbing polish done which took a whole day but the results were fantastic with Obelix looking almost brand new at the end of it.

Here are the results
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-fort-shining-1.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-fort-shining.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2015 at 10:59. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Manuuj is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:01   #455
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on keeping her well! That sure doesn't look like a 150,000 kms car to me .

Quote:
im happy to report that its still running on its original Clutch Plate.
Nice to hear that. You're obviously a good driver. Credit to Toyota too for giving it a strong clutch (keeping in mind all the 4x4 use).

Quote:
There have been ZERO breakdowns so far and its happily chugging along.
The magic of a body-on-frame Toyota diesel. They can outlast their owners .
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:23   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The magic of a body-on-frame Toyota diesel. They can outlast their owners .
Yup, these Fortuners are the TRUE fill-it, shut-it and forget-it drives on 4 wheels, at least in India. Bullet proof reliability on my Fortuner too. Never can get this same reliability and peace of mind with any German like my Superb.

And congratulations Mannuj...
dkaile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 17:55   #457
BHPian

@manuj- Your fortuner has aged gracefully, I would say it still looks young. Clutch and tyre life speaks a lot about your driving style. Happy to know that a 30 lac rupee car could be so reliable.

Quote:
The service costs are detailed below:

80,000 kms- 6865/-
85,000 kms- 1809/-
90,000 kms- 7819/
95,000 kms- 820/-
100,000 kms- 5336/-
105,000 kms- 1197/-
110,000 kms- 6810/-
115,000 kms- 4735/-
120,000 kms- 10,547/-

I shall put up a detailed report soon on all the services i have not covered so far in detail.
After going through your thread, I have a strong feeling that, save for tyres Maruti after sales & services is charging me more or less the same for my 3 year old swift, I end up paying atleast 6-7k.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 20:06   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is something for Obelix that i am excited about. A relative of mine recently had the Ironman Lift kit installed on his Fortuner.

I was there to see the installation an take a test drive afterwards. I was happy to notice a great improvement in ride quality and naturally ride height too.
Hi Manuuj. Can you provide feedback about the ironman suspension installed by your relative. I guess its been a year since the installation.

How reliable is it and does is continue to perform like you experienced initially?
Is the ride less harsh and lumpy after the install?

Did you also get it installed on Obelix?
Appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2015 at 07:10. Reason: SMS lingo
Old 16th March 2016, 17:34   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Obelix is now at 1,54,000 kms and has just completed its second trip to Spiti Valley.
]
Awesome details especially the maintenance record
Please update us about the iron man suspension upgrade for your cousin's fortuner.
I remember you wanting the upgrade too
Old 30th April 2016, 13:32   #460

Hi there,

I am considering to buy a pre owned fortuner in Bangalore, having heard a lot of stories regarding the fraud practices by dealers and also the selling owners I want some one to help me in this matter...

1) how do I check the odometer fraud?

2) when I get the service records from the seller, will it also be possible to cross check the same at the service centers?

3) what are the major mechanical or technical scrutiny which has to be taken care of?

4) will it be wise to buy a vehicle that is around 1,00,000 kms done?

any help in this regard would be appreciated..
thanks..
Old 1st May 2016, 14:06   #461

Hi,
please let the reply be fully Fortuner centric only!!

I know loads of people out there who do not believe in buying new cars coz of the depreciation hit n etc., even I belong to that category, as I have always bought pre-owned cars and luckily none of them have failed us!!

Anyways, Now that the Fortuner is pretty old in the Indian market and been one of the highest selling SUV's in the country, there are a lot of buyers with an hawks eye waiting to pounce on the opportunity to acquire an pre-owned fortuner.

I believe there is a different criteria in buying a used fortuner in India and in other countries of course the vehicle specifications also differ from our country to the other. Some even suggest buying a fortuner which is over 1,00,000 kms run too, coz the engine gets smoother and its a Toyota which is reliable up to the 3,00,000 kms mark.

In India the scenario is completely different. We have a Lotta wannabes who are only fascinated towards the 4X4 tag but not in the technicality or functionality of it, Which in turn becomes vehicle abuse 90% of the cases.

With the rising group of people with disposable income from the past few years in our country, at least 1 in 10 of them dream of owning an SUV and its no rocket science that the obvious choice is the Fortuner! ( sorry for other manufacturers but ask any 4X4 aspiring owner)

So, I think if the long term owners, enthusiasts of the Toyota Fortuner can come together on this topic and guide aspiring buyers on how to buy a pre-owned fortuner, especially the 4X4 variant, it would be highly appreciated and helpful.

Thanks.
sunnydude27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 19:35   #462
BHPian

Dear Manuj, what a thread? I have read it right from the beginning till the end over a period of 4 days. You and your car definitely deserve an applause. The TLC you shower on your car is mind boggling.
After reading your thread I have started loving my cars more.
I was actually thinking of buying the recently launched Endeavor, but your thread has put me in dillema.
Either buy the existing fortuner or wait for the new model to be launched next year? How do you rate the new endeavor against the current fortuner?
Do advice.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 21:48   #463
BHPian

Dear all,

At the outset i apologise for such a late reply. Due to some events of a personal nature i have been away from Tbhp for a very long time.

I would like to report that Obelix is indeed well and truly hale and hearty and stands at about 1,67,000 kms now.

I recently had the clutch plate changed alongwith the front discs and rear drums brakes for the FIRST time at 1,65,000 kms.

I am amazed by Toyota once again. The total expenditure for the 1.65 lac service along with the above mentioned replacements was only Rs.44,962/-

Honestly i had expected it to be much much higher.

Needless to say Obelix drives like new now.

Quite a few upgrades have been planned and some made also.

All of these will be revealed soon. All i can say is that Obelix has shed his 'city boy' looks for good and seems to have joined the Army..

Watch this space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Hi Manuuj. Can you provide feedback about the ironman suspension installed by your relative. I guess its been a year since the installation.

How reliable is it and does is continue to perform like you experienced initially?
Is the ride less harsh and lumpy after the install?

Did you also get it installed on Obelix?
Appreciate your feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Awesome details especially the maintenance record
Please update us about the iron man suspension upgrade for your cousin's fortuner.
I remember you wanting the upgrade too
Hi Jaysmokesleaves & ecosport rules!

Sorry once again for the late reply. The Ironman suspension installed on my cousins Fortuner is doing very well and has been ordered for Obelix also finally!!

The ride is much much better when compared to the stock Fortuner.

I will do a proper review when its is installed on Obelix in the next week or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydude27 View Post
Hi there,

I am considering to buy a pre owned fortuner in Bangalore, having heard a lot of stories regarding the fraud practices by dealers and also the selling owners I want some one to help me in this matter...

1) how do I check the odometer fraud?

2) when I get the service records from the seller, will it also be possible to cross check the same at the service centers?

3) what are the major mechanical or technical scrutiny which has to be taken care of?

4) will it be wise to buy a vehicle that is around 1,00,000 kms done?

any help in this regard would be appreciated..
thanks..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydude27 View Post
Hi,
please let the reply be fully Fortuner centric only!!

I know loads of people out there who do not believe in buying new cars coz of the depreciation hit n etc., even I belong to that category, as I have always bought pre-owned cars and luckily none of them have failed us!!

Anyways, Now that the Fortuner is pretty old in the Indian market and been one of the highest selling SUV's in the country, there are a lot of buyers with an hawks eye waiting to pounce on the opportunity to acquire an pre-owned fortuner.

I believe there is a different criteria in buying a used fortuner in India and in other countries of course the vehicle specifications also differ from our country to the other. Some even suggest buying a fortuner which is over 1,00,000 kms run too, coz the engine gets smoother and its a Toyota which is reliable up to the 3,00,000 kms mark.

In India the scenario is completely different. We have a Lotta wannabes who are only fascinated towards the 4X4 tag but not in the technicality or functionality of it, Which in turn becomes vehicle abuse 90% of the cases.

With the rising group of people with disposable income from the past few years in our country, at least 1 in 10 of them dream of owning an SUV and its no rocket science that the obvious choice is the Fortuner! ( sorry for other manufacturers but ask any 4X4 aspiring owner)

So, I think if the long term owners, enthusiasts of the Toyota Fortuner can come together on this topic and guide aspiring buyers on how to buy a pre-owned fortuner, especially the 4X4 variant, it would be highly appreciated and helpful.

Thanks.
Hi Sunnydude27 ! I'd like to answer your question as briefly and succinctly as possible.

Odometer fraud can be checked by simply checking the service records at any Toyota dealership.

Yes the records can be accessed by a dealer even if the vehicle has not been serviced there. If the ODO shows 65,000 kms and the last service record reflects more than that then for sure you know something underhanded has transpired.

Also a glance at the condition of the pedals, gear knob, drivers seat and steering wheel can reveal a lot about the state of a car.

You can most absolutely buy a Fortuner with even 1,50,000 kms on the odometer AS LONG AS it has full service records and has never been in a frontal crash.

When inspecting the car have it out up on a lift and check the underside for damage. If the chassis has dents or is even slighly bent walk away. Sure sign of abuse offroad. Also check the bills to see that:

1) Prop shaft greasing was carried out every 10k kms
2) All Oil changes were done at the correct time (10k)
3) Belts replaced at the required interval
4) Check to see if the clutch is sluggish and heavy.. its not too expensive to replace though so dont worry if it feels heavy.
5) Try to buy a car that is as close to stock as possible.

Goodluck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Dear Manuj, what a thread? I have read it right from the beginning till the end over a period of 4 days. You and your car definitely deserve an applause. The TLC you shower on your car is mind boggling.
After reading your thread I have started loving my cars more.
I was actually thinking of buying the recently launched Endeavor, but your thread has put me in dillema.
Either buy the existing fortuner or wait for the new model to be launched next year? How do you rate the new endeavor against the current fortuner?
Do advice.
Hi sorry for the late response! Thank you for your kind words.

The New Endeavour is surely a force to be reckoned with and in many departments the current Fortuner will be found lacking when compared to it.

The new Endy is ..well New!! Its fresh! New technology..lots of new toys and great butch looks also. Compared to this the current Fortuner seems outclassed.

BUT will i buy i Ford. THAT is the question. Is it as reliable as a Toyota? Is it as cheap to maintain as a Toyota? Which car will lose value faster?

What do you think?

In anycase your dillema shall be well settled by October. The new Fortuner is finally coming to Indian shores and the Ford shall be put in its place once again. Of that i am sure.

Wait for the Fortuner launch in October. There is no car quite like it. I assure you.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st September 2016 at 07:33. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Thanks! :)
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:27   #464
BHPian

As i mentioned earlier Obelix has had a bit of a makeover to transform it from its city boy looks to a tougher Jungle Jim kind of look. The first phase is complete.

The second phase will commence this week itself with a few upgrades like Tyres, Safari Snorkel, Winch Bumper and the all important Ironman Performance Suspension package which will give it a 2" lift and a better ride also.

Here is a pic of how it stands today. One may notice that some of the wrap has bubbled at the bottom of the bumper. I am not too worried about it as this whole bumper will be discarded for a Winch bumper (Ironman/Arb style)
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_20160826_105911.jpg

Some before and after:
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-photogrid_1472027204817.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-photogrid_1472027254056.jpg

Stay tuned for the complete transformation!
Manuuj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:51   #465
BHPian

The wrap was from an American company called Avery Denison which competes with 3M worldwide.

The shade used was Avery Denision Matte Midnight Sand Metallic.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-tempfile_20160818171213.jpg

The final result:
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-screenshot_20160824002521.jpg

I shall post seperately about the whole process and also the Installer soon.
Manuuj is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks