Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 09:34   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 3 years & 80,000 kms up

People may keep on cribbing about it being over-priced and under equipped, but when it comes to the joy of plane jane driving, nothing surpasses a Toyota, especially a Fortuner in India. There is just no comparison with a Innova which many make. And this only a Fortuner owner can understand.

Congrats Mannuj and keep on going...
dkaile is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 17:05   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Lahaul/Spiti: around Sep I guess. Will get a couple of friends to join in. Maybe you can try convincing some of the other folks in Team BHP.
Ok sounds good. We have most part of the year to plan and prepare. lets post on the fb TFOG group. I'm sure we shall have some interested parties there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
People may keep on cribbing about it being over-priced and under equipped, but when it comes to the joy of plane jane driving, nothing surpasses a Toyota, especially a Fortuner in India. There is just no comparison with a Innova which many make. And this only a Fortuner owner can understand.

Congrats Mannuj and keep on going...
Thanks for your wishes Dkaile. You are very right about the Fortuner ownership and driving experience. I have driven mine sedately at 60-70 kmph on country roads, at 180 kmph on expressways and at 10 kmph on Jungle tracks and each time it has put a smile on my face.

As you know we are facing a real cold spell in North India and i cannot wait to leave the factory put on the heating in my Fortuner and have a nice relaxed drive home.

No matter how bad the day may have gone, the Fortuner makes sure i reach home with a smile on my face.

On recent sedate trips to the now improved GT Road to Punjab i have regularly recorded FE Figures of 15 kmpl. 90 kmph is the strictly enforced speed limit and the Fortuner engine ticks over at just under 2000 rpm in 5th gear at this speed. It makes for a quiet and relaxed drive with very acceptable FE figures for a vehicle this size.

Am at 79,148 kms at the moment. I shall post a 80,000 kms Service Report soon.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 15:19   #378
BHPian

The Ex Showroom price for the Fortuner in Delhi 4x4 Manual when i bought mine in Deceber 2009 was 18.45 Lacs. The same specification Fortuner (with some added features) today is 22.58 Lacs.

That is an increase of over 4 lacs in three years.

I feel i got a very good deal
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 16:38   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
The Ex Showroom price for the Fortuner in Delhi 4x4 Manual when i bought mine in Deceber 2009 was 18.45 Lacs. The same specification Fortuner (with some added features) today is 22.58 Lacs.

That is an increase of over 4 lacs in three years.

I feel i got a very good deal
Hi Manuuj,
This is surely a coincidence.

Have put up a similar post today (ahem...slightly before you !) with the OTR prices of the 4X4 (M/T) T-Fortuner on Admiral's thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...sails-117.html

With the taxes etc the difference in Mumbai is almost 5Ls.
But yeah some small 'bits' (VSC/EBD etc) are missing on the old gen. T-Fortuners.
All the same a big hurrah for the veterans like us !

Last edited by Guderian : 15th January 2013 at 16:42.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 14:11   #380
BHPian

White Toyota Fortuner TRD - 3 wonderful years of ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Manuuj,
This is surely a coincidence.

Have put up a similar post today (ahem...slightly before you !)
Hahaha not a coincidence at all General Saar! Its your post that made me think about the difference in costs here in Delhi.

The Fortuner sure has proven to be a good investment. Instead of depreciating like other cars its resale value has actually gone up.

Just another reason to smile.
Old 16th January 2013, 14:28   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just another reason to smile.
And would you believe it Manuuj if I were to tell you that in Mumbai guys are selling 2010/11 T-Fortuners at rates which are equal to what they originally paid for it ?
Couple of chaps told me this and I didn't believe it, till my FNUCS (Friendly Neighbourhood Used Car Salesman), who had sold my Scorpio at a hefty margin for himself, called me up a month or so ago and told me that if I was interested he'd get me more or less the same amount that I had paid for Admiral two years ago...despite the fact even thinking about selling Admiral felt blasphemous to me (and thankfully Admiral was out of earshot) it got me thinking and made me check the prices of the new T-Fortuner last Saturday at the ASC and the penny dropped.
And when I mentioned to the FNUCS that the old one doesn't have many of the gadgets seen on the new kid on the block (VSC/EBD etc) he very laconically mentioned that they were of absolutely no use to the kind of people who bought T-Fortuners from him. I cringed internally.
Was also informed at the ASC that the wait period, though it has come down considerably, is still about 3 months.

Reason to smile ? Grin from ear to ear is what I'd recommend !

Last edited by Guderian : 16th January 2013 at 14:32.
Old 16th January 2013, 14:34   #382
BHPian

Quote:
And would you believe it Manuuj if I were to tell you that in Mumbai guys are selling 2010/11 T-Fortuners at rates which are equal to what they originally paid for it ?
Couple of chaps told me this and I didn't believe it, till my FNUCS (Friendly Neighbourhood Used Car Salesman), who had sold my Scorpio at a hefty margin for himself, called me up a month or so ago and told me that if I was interested he'd get me more or less the same amount that I had paid for Admiral two years ago...despite the fact even thinking about selling Admiral felt blasphemous to me (and thankfully Admiral was out of earshot) it got me thinking and made me check the prices of the new T-Fortuner last Saturday at the ASC and the penny dropped.
Was also informed at the ASC that the wait period, though it has come down considerably, is still about 3 months.

Reason to smile ? Grin from ear to ear is what I'd recommend !
General Saar i was thinking about this the other day actually. Maybe i need someone to talk me out of it. In two years the loan of the Fortuner (yeah i cant call it YETI) shall be paid off.

If i can sell it for about 15 lacs then (im sure il get the price as it has an impeccable fully documented service history) I may take a 10 lac loan from the bank and buy a fresh new Fortuner.

The 2015 Model may have some added features that may make it a good idea. What do you say?
Old 16th January 2013, 16:00   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you say?
Not sure about that from my perspective.
By then the cost of the new T-Fortuner could be around 33 L is what I reckon. Coupled with the fact that the premium on diesel vehicles would come down with the diesel prices touching petrol prices by then. If that does happen then the average Joe would prefer a petrol over the diesel due to the perception that diesel wheels have a lot of issues. And the resale of value of the T-Fortuner could come down quite a bit. Yeah the difference between the prices of the new one and the old one would no doubt help your cause to some extent.

So my take is that if you want to do it - today is the best day.

Or else retain it for about 7 to 10 (yes, ten !) years a period which a Toyota would most gladly serve without a murmur, even with your kind of mile munching. By then you would have really drawn the juice out of it and would have saved a pretty penny too on many counts - FE/lower cost of spares and service/easy availability of spares (assumed) etc. and then you could sell it for whatever value with no regrets and get a brand new, what else, Fortuner - 2020 ! By then they should have it running on Alcohol (take the whisky model, take the whisky model - please !) or solar panels or batteries !

I love to retain old vehicles as long as there are no serious mechanical issues or spares are not an issue. There is a certain ease of familiarity and comfort in them - like an old pair of jeans.

So I hope I have, if not talked, worded you out of your current thinking !

Last edited by Guderian : 16th January 2013 at 16:12.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 16:48   #384
BHPian

Quote:
So my take is that if you want to do it - today is the best day.

Or else retain it for about 7 to 10 (yes, ten !) years a period which a Toyota would most gladly serve without a murmur, even with your kind of mile munching. By then you would have really drawn the juice out of it and would have saved a pretty penny too on many counts - FE/lower cost of spares and service/easy availability of spares (assumed) etc.

So I hope I have, if not talked, worded you out of your current thinking !
Thank you for your insight GD! I have had my Qualis for Ten troublefree years and i expect to retain the Fortuner for the same ..atleast!

This whole "selling & replacing" business wasn't a serious consideration.
I am hugely sentimental about old things and especially my Cars..so the Fortuner aint goin anywhere yet
Old 29th January 2013, 15:41   #385
BHPian

The Fortuner clocked 80,000 kms somewhere in the NCR on the night of 23rd January 2013. The service had already been booked in advance for the 24th at Galaxy Toyota, Motinagar which in my opinion is one of the best equipped and trained workshops in this area.

The booking was for 10:30 AM and it was exactly at this time that we rolled into the workshop with 80,056 kms on the clock.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-odo.jpg

It was a Thursday and the long weekend started with Eid and Republic Day on Friday and Saturday. I had plans for either a quick dash to Sariska or Sitabani guest house in Corbett. Therefore i was keen that the Fortuner be given a thorough once over.

I wanted to make sure the all fluids, belts etc were all in good shape. I also wanted to ensure that the 10,000 kms Prop Shaft greasing schedule be strictly adhered to. I had taken the day off for this very purpose.

All in all the Service went of very smoothly and the technicians took their time in making sure everything on my list was crossed off to my satisfaction.

The jobs carried out were:

Underbody Jet wash
Washer Fluid Top up
Air Filter cleaning
HVAC filter cleaning
Lights check. Front right parking light bulb replaced
Washer fluid top up
Oil Filter changed
Engine Oil changed
Front and Rear Differential Oil drained and replaced.
All front brake pads removed and cleaned
Brake disc inspected ..found OK
Rear Brake drum opened and cleaned
Handbrake Adjusted
Total Brake Oil was bled from the brake lines and replaced.
All fuses checked
Belt checked found to be OK
Prop Shaft Greasing in all 6 points.
Spray on Lubricant was applied to all suspension bushes
Wheel Balancing
Tyre Rotation
Wheel Alignment
Second Underbody Jet Wash to make sure all brake fluids and differential oils that spilled on the underbody are cleaned off
Interior Plastic Panels Shampoo and dry
Top wash and shampoo
Interior Vacuum
Engine Bay washed and dried
Interior Dressing
Tyre Polish
Final hand wipe of exterior.

The total expense was Rs. 6865/-

The tyres after 8000 kms of use. The stock Dunlops were replaced at 72,000 kms.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-tyres-tread-depth-after-8k-kms.jpg

Tyres after Balancing
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-tyres-after-balancing.jpg

The Rear Differential. The top nut is used to add Fresh Differential Oil and the bottom one is used to drain the used Oil.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-diff.jpg

The Prop Shaft Greasing being done
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-prop-grease.jpg

All the points that look wet (darker) are where the lubricant was sprayed. These were the Suspension Joints and Bushes. The same was carried out on all four corners of the vehicle.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-suspension-lubrication.jpg

I was also told that there are many Fortuners in the NCR that have crossed the 1 lac kms milestone with One that has done 1,75,000 kms in the past three years!!

There has been no major breakdown reported in any so far. A very heartening thought.

Sadly the Corbett Or Sariska plan had to be put on hold due to some Social commitments. Both the Fortuner and I are raring to go.

P.S. You may have noticed that the Fortuner is NOT being addressed as "Yeti" which was the name i had given it recently. This is because it was rightly pointed out by Guderian that it would cause too much confusion and that my Toyota would balk at the idea of any association with a Skoda product.

Hence we are back to calling him the Fortuner for now.

Name suggestions are welcome!!

Last edited by Manuuj : 29th January 2013 at 15:47.
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 16:16   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hence we are back to calling him the Fortuner for now.
Name suggestions are welcome!!
Moby Dick?

Blackjack?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-160)
From Wikipedia: "the Tu-160 is currently the world's largest combat aircraft, largest supersonic aircraft, and largest variable-sweep aircraft built."

Ursus maritimus? (polar bear) - sort of like Admiral's full name - long and imposing

Iceberg (driven by the iceman)?
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 09:27   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Fortuner clocked 80,000 kms somewhere in the NCR on the night of 23rd January 2013.
Great going Manuuj !
While I languish here running piddly numbers on Admiral's odo.
And a nice informative report to boot.

Couple of (give or take a few) questions for you:

1. Is this the first time the fore and aft diff oils are being changed ? Did they do so at the 40 K KMs service ?

2. Why did they not change the gear box oil which they are supposed to every 40K KMs ? Did they do so at the 40K KMs service ? The 4X4 transfer case oil - the manual is silent about the periodicity of its replacement - but I presume it is to be checked and replaced if required. Did they do that - checked and found it OK ?

3. Any comments on the PS (Power Steering) oil ? Checked and found OK ? Any notes on the periodicity of change ? Manual is silent on this as well. Must be a replace if required only oil. But it advisable to change PS oil every (?) whatever KMs.

4. What is this suspension bushes spray on lubricant ? Nice info that. Haven't seen guys here do that on any vehicle.

And the fellows here just don't do the job this thoroughly...evidenced by the fact that your chaps jet wash the underbody twice. This has a huge value from the point of the fact that this is the best way to check leakages and damages before the service and after the charging of oils etc during the service. With muck all around it is not possible to check thoroughly. Besides the final washing to clean up oil and grease traces helps keep the underbody clean and prevents attraction of dust and muck all over again.
Kudos to your guys.
Wonder why the famed Toyota service doesn't have this as a standard practice all around the country and insist on its implementation.

And now coming to the name - Obelix as suggested by you on Admiral's thread sounds good !

Last edited by Guderian : 30th January 2013 at 09:29.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 16:24   #388
BHPian

OBELIX the White Toyota Fortuner TRD- 3 wonderful years of ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Moby Dick?

Blackjack?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-160)
From Wikipedia: "the Tu-160 is currently the world's largest combat aircraft, largest supersonic aircraft, and largest variable-sweep aircraft built."

Ursus maritimus? (polar bear) - sort of like Admiral's full name - long and imposing

Iceberg (driven by the iceman)?
Thank you Nilanjan for the lovely suggestions.

Quote:
Great going Manuuj !
While I languish here running piddly numbers on Admiral's odo.
And a nice informative report to boot.

Couple of (give or take a few) questions for you:

1. Is this the first time the fore and aft diff oils are being changed ? Did they do so at the 40 K KMs service ?

2. Why did they not change the gear box oil which they are supposed to every 40K KMs ? Did they do so at the 40K KMs service ? The 4X4 transfer case oil - the manual is silent about the periodicity of its replacement - but I presume it is to be checked and replaced if required. Did they do that - checked and found it OK ?

3. Any comments on the PS (Power Steering) oil ? Checked and found OK ? Any notes on the periodicity of change ? Manual is silent on this as well. Must be a replace if required only oil. But it advisable to change PS oil every (?) whatever KMs.

4. What is this suspension bushes spray on lubricant ? Nice info that. Haven't seen guys here do that on any vehicle.

And the fellows here just don't do the job this thoroughly...evidenced by the fact that your chaps jet wash the underbody twice. This has a huge value from the point of the fact that this is the best way to check leakages and damages before the service and after the charging of oils etc during the service. With muck all around it is not possible to check thoroughly. Besides the final washing to clean up oil and grease traces helps keep the underbody clean and prevents attraction of dust and muck all over again.
Kudos to your guys.
Wonder why the famed Toyota service doesn't have this as a standard practice all around the country and insist on its implementation.

And now coming to the name - Obelix as suggested by you on Admiral's thread sounds good !
Thank you for your kind words General. Now to your Q's..

1) Diff oils were changed at the 40K service also. This was the second time.

2) Gear oil and Transfer Case oil hasnt been changed to my knowledge..will check the bills and get back to you on that. If not then some people at Galaxy are in a whole world of trouble.

3) Power Steering oil was topped up in front of me. I forgot to mention that.

4) I just mentioned to the technician that sometimes i hear a grunting noise from the suspension while going over speed breakers or deep potholes. Much like that of an old man getting up from a comfortable deep armchair. He simply took out this Can with "LUBRICANT" written on it and proceeded to spray all the bushes and joints with it. The car is ever so silent now..not a squeak from the Suspension anymore.
I asked if it was WD40 he said it wasn't . This was done at no extra charge.

The special service was because a technician who did pretty much every service of my Qualis had risen to become a senior supervisor. I may have given him the feeling i was ready to get rid of the Qualis. After this he took over the whole service himself. Hence the extra work on the brakes, double underbody wash, spray-on lubricant etc etc.

I get the feeling he wants my Qualis and was treating me like a man would before asking a father for his daughters hand in marriage.

Oh..and OBELIX it is!! (to be honest i wasnt mad about "Yeti"either)

Obelix the invincible, indomitable, intrepid and unbeatable Toyota Fortuner!

Last edited by Manuuj : 31st January 2013 at 16:32.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 18:22   #389
Senior - BHPian

Re: OBELIX the White Toyota Fortuner TRD- 3 wonderful years of ownership!

Quote:
1.Thank you for your kind words General. Now to your Q's..

2. Obelix the invincible, indomitable, intrepid and unbeatable Toyota Fortuner!
1. Thank you Manuuj. Very informative post again.
Do check and let us know about the gear & TC oil. They may have checked it and decided not to change it. But at 80K KMs I think they should have changed it. Did they examine it at least ?

2. Obelix ! That is much better. Sounds great really.
Old 31st January 2013, 21:36   #390
BHPian

The jobs carried out were:

Underbody Jet wash
Washer Fluid Top up
Air Filter cleaning
HVAC filter cleaning
Lights check. Front right parking light bulb replaced
Washer fluid top up
Oil Filter changed
Engine Oil changed
Front and Rear Differential Oil drained and replaced.
All front brake pads removed and cleaned
Brake disc inspected ..found OK
Rear Brake drum opened and cleaned
Handbrake Adjusted
Total Brake Oil was bled from the brake lines and replaced.
All fuses checked
Belt checked found to be OK
Prop Shaft Greasing in all 6 points.
Spray on Lubricant was applied to all suspension bushes
Wheel Balancing
Tyre Rotation
Wheel Alignment
Second Underbody Jet Wash to make sure all brake fluids and differential oils that spilled on the underbody are cleaned off
Interior Plastic Panels Shampoo and dry
Top wash and shampoo
Interior Vacuum
Engine Bay washed and dried
Interior Dressing
Tyre Polish
Final hand wipe of exterior.

The total expense was Rs. 6865/-

I just can't imagine that after doing all this work, the cost is so less. Damm my Santro cost some times the same that is for a 1.1 ltr engine. My Corolla does not cost more than Rs 3,000 for every 10k service.

Hats off to Toyota!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks