Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 22:19   #31
BHPian

Congrats Manuuj for the new car. The car looks great in white and you have done the right thing with all that chrome and gold stuff. Without them it looks simple yet elegant but also carries a 'Don't mess with me!' look.
Looking forward for interior pics.
Old 22nd December 2009, 22:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

oh so it's a similar kit to what i saw on the Fortuner near my bldg.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1644957-post9.html

btw how much does that kit cost?
Old 22nd December 2009, 23:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on the Fortuner! Its only the brakes that stick out like a sore thumb, but I do believe Petes has already launched upgrades.

You seem to have quite the garage...a range rover, Scorpio mhawk and now the Fortuner. Got a thing for SUVs, eh?

Unfortunate that Toyota's intervention didn't stop the dealer from pushing expensive accessories down your throat though. I myself couldn't think of a better excuse "My close friends car!!". LOL, no close friend here. The dealer merely made a quick buck.

You haven't searched our forums, have you? Teflon is strongly NOT recommended on Team-BHP.

And drive safe. Remember, the Fortuner has great power, but also bad brakes and is an SUV (compromised handling compared to a sedan).
Thanks so much GTO..it was your review that kept me going through my agonizing wait!

My first "SUV" was a Mahindra 540 DP 2wd way back in 1994..ever since then all i ever wanted were diesel SUV's.

I remember seeing the current Pajero SFX in 1994 and falling in love with it way back then. The Fortuner has me completely satisfied for a few reasons. It is a contemporary design with a modern diesel heart, its proven to be reliable and cheap to maintain (at par with my Qualis..ive seen the spare parts and servicing costs), its backed by Toyota legendary offroad abilities and reliability and many more..

The Range Rover is an amazing machine with an amazing price tag and an even more amazing maintainance cost (the cost of the first service itself was Rs.60,000!)

The Pajero is a bit too old school and though it is a fantastic vehicle offroad and good on surface roads too it kinda falls short on the looks department as its showing it age now.

The less i say about the M-Hawk the better..not even done 38,000 kms and already the clutch system has been overhauled (under warranty).

After the Qualis the Fortuner is my favorite..yes..i said AFTER the Qualis

As far as the brakes go i did find them a bit lacking on brake bite but under some emergency braking did do the job quite smoothly..its just a matter of getting used to it i suppose.

I was surprised by the linear and smooth power delivery of the Fortuner though...it touches three digits before you can realize it.

The engine is a bit too noisy right now and i hope that settles down after the 10,000 kms service.

I was thinking of getting the oil changed at at the first general checkup at 1000 kms..what are your views on that?

Also i had no idea that Teflon is a no-no on Team Bhp..why so?

As far as the dealer takin me for a ride i do beleive he did..but i really wanted my Fortuner..the wait was getting unbearable specially after the earlier lost chance. Also the increase in price in January may offset what i paid extra for the Accesories most of which i have retained.

I shall post pics of it in action with the Range rover or Pajero soon alongwith some interior pics even though they are nothing too special..

On the whole the Fortuner is a very comfortable vehicle that looks great, is relaible , cheap to maintain and quite a deal at 20 lacs if you consider the deisel Prado will be avilable soon at 50 lacs with same engine as the Fortuner.

I'm Happy.
Old 22nd December 2009, 23:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
oh so it's a similar kit to what i saw on the Fortuner near my bldg.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1644957-post9.html

btw how much does that kit cost?
The kit is quite diffrent from the one in the photo of the white Fortuner you posted.

This one does not give a "heavy" kind of look but a more "sporty" one. If you compare both side by side you will notice quite a few differences.

Compare your pics and the ones of my Fortuner during teflon coating and the differences will be more apparent..

The front Skirts, Door cladding, Side step, and even the Rear skirt are a completely different shape.

The kit costed around Rs.60,000/- but is available in Delhi for around Rs.45,000/-. Its called "TRD Sportivo".
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
First of all Congrats buddy on your new buy and wishing you all the very best !!

But looking at your post dispassionately, I feel that its this way of making Toyota think that they are delivering " God's own vehicle " to Indians that is making them to take us for a ride.
The Fortuner sells for RM 80,000 in Malaysia. This works to about 12 lacs Rupees in India. So, they are almost selling at double the amount ( 22lacs on road in Bangalore). So arent they unethical here and to Indians ?
Still they make it look like they are doing charity to buyers like in your case. I understand your desepartion to get this vehicle from 2005 but havent you lived without it ? Dont you have options ? I think the safari 4X4 is definitely an option ( inspite of TATA niggles, it has evolved into a fine vehicle). BTW, how many times and how many of us want a reliable 4 X 4 practically ? The real hardcore 4X4 guys will swear by Jeep anyway. Thats a separate discussion anyway......
So, what have you bought better than say the Safari at the double the cost of Safari VX. ......The so called bullet proof quality of Toyota......forget being bullet proof...... the innova is not even a cycle proof . It has the worst ever body I have ever seen on Indian roads, show me any dent proof innova... especially the rear door...... so much for the bullet proof quality of Toyota . Anyway, I have seen that the Fortuner's body is better built...... so this will not be an issue in your case.

The other thing I was curious about is that you have bought a vehicle that has been accessorized. But, as far as I know, the accessories are added only after the vehicle is registered with the RTO. So, wasnt your vehicle registered yet ? If that is the case, something is wrong here.

Hope we Indians are stopped being taken for a ride soon !!
in the UAE, dubai, the fortuner sells for 87,000Dhs, which is 1096200 Rs!

that is the 2.7 ltr petrol engine!
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car!!! Definitely got the "Babu" look - opt for a single-number series, and you will have unstopped entrance right into parliament!

Is the Fortuner assembled in India or is it manufactured there? The topline A/T 4x4 3.0 D4D is assembled here in Philippines, and costs 17.4L Pesos...
Old 23rd December 2009, 01:07   #37
BHPian

Hello Manuuj,

Congrats for the new beast..This really looks like a dude among the SUVs..Its an amazing Machine..I had a chance to kinda informal Race with one of the Fortuner's on Bangalore-Hyderabad highway against my Cedia.We were just playing the chase me game.It could literally feel its pickup ..it just used to smash away and I could only catch after attaining a speed of 170-180kms/hr Literally i had to beat my Cedia Accelerator like this smiley to reach to nearby the Fortuner

Enjoy your Ride..I am Sure you must be enjoying its 4 wheel Drive
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:07   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedizen View Post
Hello Manuuj,

Congrats for the new beast..This really looks like a dude among the SUVs..Its an amazing Machine..I had a chance to kinda informal Race with one of the Fortuner's on Bangalore-Hyderabad highway against my Cedia.We were just playing the chase me game.It could literally feel its pickup ..it just used to smash away and I could only catch after attaining a speed of 170-180kms/hr Literally i had to beat my Cedia Accelerator like this smiley to reach to nearby the Fortuner

Enjoy your Ride..I am Sure you must be enjoying its 4 wheel Drive
Thanks buddy! I have not had the chance to take it out on the open road as yet but i plan to do so tommorow after the 1000 kms checkup and wheel balancing is done.

Looking forward to its performance on the highway and cruising in 5th gear!

The 4 wheel system shall be put to the test over new years when i shall be in Punjab
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

That Fortuner looks awesome, The TRD kit is good VFM as you said it's about 45k in the local market.

And I think personally the Gold Toyota Emblems look quite nice. Although the Chrome on the Headlamps looked hideous and you can get the ones in the rear lights removed as well.

Congratulations once again. I only wish the car be available with shorter waiting delays.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Thanks buddy! I have not had the chance to take it out on the open road as yet but i plan to do so tommorow after the 1000 kms checkup and wheel balancing is done.

Looking forward to its performance on the highway and cruising in 5th gear!

The 4 wheel system shall be put to the test over new years when i shall be in Punjab

Well I was not patient enough to wait for 1000 kms. I took it to 160, went effortlessly and it was not yet pedal to metal. Breaks well. No issues.

You are gonna have fun brother!
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:05   #41
BHPian

Ahh..what a delight to wake up in the morning and see a TRD kit fortuner.Hey manuuj,How about some more closer pics of the fortuner especially from the front and sides(footsteps etc) to get the better idea of the finish.So what other modifications are you planning in future(may be think about interiors especially the gear knobs).Any plans for the pete's box.
Sorry for asking too many questions its another fortuner aspirant down the lane brother.And yours is exactly the one(with trd kit) that twiggles in my brian every now and then.
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Well I was not patient enough to wait for 1000 kms. I took it to 160, went effortlessly and it was not yet pedal to metal. Breaks well. No issues.

You are gonna have fun brother!
You mean WE are going to have fun don't you!

Would love to see your Black and my White one standing together, climbing a hill, negotiating a stream...

My wheel balancing was not okay at delivery and as a result there was some vibrations and wobbling of the steering wheel at around 80-100 kmph..which was why i was taking it easy.

Am taking it in for its first checkup and wheel balancing tomorrow followed by a trip to Vrindavan with my mother (all our cars go there for blessings)

It will give me a chance to flex its muscles on the open road..
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:24   #43
BHPian

Congratulations your Fortuner looks wayy better than the stock car. That kit is great
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:45   #44
BHPian

Hey Manuuj,

Why don't you get rid of the chrome strip on the hood along with the ones on the tail lights and door handles. It would give the front a nice clean look.

Last edited by funkydevil : 23rd December 2009 at 13:46.
Old 25th December 2009, 12:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
Ahh..what a delight to wake up in the morning and see a TRD kit fortuner.Hey manuuj,How about some more closer pics of the fortuner especially from the front and sides(footsteps etc) to get the better idea of the finish.So what other modifications are you planning in future(may be think about interiors especially the gear knobs).Any plans for the pete's box.
Sorry for asking too many questions its another fortuner aspirant down the lane brother.And yours is exactly the one(with trd kit) that twiggles in my brain every now and then.
Thanks for your wishes bro! Shall be posting some pics today!

No more modifications planned now..I'm flat broke!

Did consider the petes box but i find the power good enough for now and the brakes just about adequate to handle the 170 horses! A 200 bhp fortuner will need a brake upgrade too and i really don't want to mess with my 3 year I lac km warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaver_prad View Post
Congratulations your Fortuner looks wayy better than the stock car. That kit is great
Thanks buddy! Glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Hey Manuuj,

Why don't you get rid of the chrome strip on the hood along with the ones on the tail lights and door handles. It would give the front a nice clean look.
That was an OE fitment..will leave that as it is buddy!

The tail light and door handle chrome surrounds will go as soon as i can find a safe way to remove them without harming the paint finish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks