Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2012, 14:32   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 3 years & 80,000 kms up

Manuj,you were extremely lucky to have survived a tyre burst.
That said,i have lost my faith on Yokohoma,i was thinking of switching over to them from Michelin's at the next change.
Even Sam's Land Rover was running on new Yokohoma's,unfortunately he didnot survive:(.Get rid of these,and switch to OEM Dunlop.
Old 20th November 2012, 15:03   #362
Senior - BHPian

i was speaking to Anirban (1100D on TBHP) and he mentioned that he was not happy with the Geolanders - 3 tyres with sidewall damages in his 4x4 Scorpio

he needs to update this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ighlight=1100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Anirban da - please let us know about your feedback on these tyres.
there is a thread running on this tyre: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...olander-s.html

Last edited by planet_rocker : 20th November 2012 at 15:06.
Old 20th November 2012, 18:24   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
That said,i have lost my faith on Yokohoma,i was thinking of switching over to them from Michelin's at the next change.
Even Sam's Land Rover was running on new Yokohoma's,unfortunately he didnot survive:(.Get rid of these,and switch to OEM Dunlop.
Yokos have very soft sidewalls, like highway tires. After my bridgestone OEM burst on the highway(at ~ 90kmph), I decided to get proper tough tires. Been with Continentals ever since.
The kind of terrains I do need hard sidewalls, as many roads are just sharp rocks picked up from somewhere, and then dumped from a BRO truck.
Old 21st November 2012, 15:20   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

I have lost my faith in Yokohamas also. I am stuck with these now as i dont want to spend another 50K on new tyres after i just spent 40k last month.

I shall have to be very careful though. I did look at some Bridgestones as Guderian had suggested but they were HT tyres and i wanted only AT. Thanks again Guderian for all your support and guidance in this whole episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
i was speaking to Anirban (1100D on TBHP) and he mentioned that he was not happy with the Geolanders - 3 tyres with sidewall damages in his 4x4 Scorpio

he needs to update this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ighlight=1100D

there is a thread running on this tyre: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...olander-s.html
Thanks for the links planet_rocker. I have posted my experience also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yokos have very soft sidewalls, like highway tires. After my bridgestone OEM burst on the highway(at ~ 90kmph), I decided to get proper tough tires. Been with Continentals ever since.
The kind of terrains I do need hard sidewalls, as many roads are just sharp rocks picked up from somewhere, and then dumped from a BRO truck.
I really wish i had done some research on TBHP before buying these Yokos. Well too late now..no point crying over spilled milk.

The Inspection of the tyre was carried out by Mr. Sanjay Chauhan the RM (North) of Yokohama Tyres India at 11 AM on 20th November at their Gurgaon dealers Mr. Deepak Katarias Tyre Outlet called Star Wheels. Guderian had used his contacts to set up this inspection for me which i deeply appreciate.

Both gentleman were very courteous in their approach and made efforts to assuage my doubts.

He took his time to inspect the tyre carefully and concluded that it was definitely an external impact due to some sharp object that caused the sidewall to tear apart like a wet tissue. He showed me abrasion marks on the tyre also that were caused by this object.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img2012112001381.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img2012112001383.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img2012112001384.jpg

This pic shows the exact spot where the sharp object penetrated the Yokohama sidewall like a hot knife through butter.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img2012112001386.jpg

I did wonder aloud how my Dunlop Grandtreks that were the OE fitment lasted almost three years and 72,000 kms without incident even though they had their fair share of rough use in jungle, desert and rocky terrain, and brand new Yokohama Geolander committing harakiri on flat smooth highways in under 3 weeks and about 1500 kms of use? They put it down to 'bad luck' and a 'stray incident'.

In this case he said he was helpless to honor my Claim of a free replacement. He offered me a minor discount on a new tyre which i accepted as i was tired of this whole exercise also. I feel really stupid for not sticking to Dunlops when it came time to replace my tyres. As the adage goes "If it ain't broken..dont try to fix it"

In the end I purchased my last ever Yokohama yesterday :(

Last edited by Manuuj : 21st November 2012 at 15:26.
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:22   #365
BHPian

On the 21st of December 2009 I started this thread about my TRD Fortuner that had finally come into my life on the 10th of December 2009 after a long exasperating wait.

As i write this three years later i cannot help but say it all the frustration, exasperation and aggravation while i waited for the car was well worth it.

The ODO reads a shade over 77,000 kms today. In these three years i haven't faced even one failure or breakdown. The Fortuner has chugged along happily and taken whatever i have managed to throw at it.

I don't want to write much about the cost and experience as all of it has been written about in detail in my previous posts about the vehicle.

I am posting a few pictures of the car at various intervals of the three years it has been with me. It has taken me to far off places some on flat smooth highways and some desert and jungle trails.

All the while the reassurance of TOYOTA quality has always been with me.

The first time i laid eyes on it on the evening of 9th December
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-1.0-first-look.jpg

The next day..Delivery Day!!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-1.1-first-look-morning.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-1.2-rear-first-look-morning.jpg

ODO at 49 kms..now stands at over 77,000.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-1.3-odo-49kms.jpg

Teflon coated
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-1.4-after-teflon.jpg

Smiling in the sun
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-1.5-sun-tree-shadow.jpg

On the first road trip near Jaipur
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-2.0-rear-jaipur-highway.jpg

On a lakeside somewhere in Rajasthan on the way to Ranthambore.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-2.1-rear.jpg

Near Kufri
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-2.2-rear.jpg

Parked at Narkanda
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-2.3-rear.jpg

Near Rohtang
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-2.4-rear.jpg

Searching for Tigers in Corbett
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-2.5-rear.jpg

At its favorite haunt..Ramganga Resort, Marchula.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-2.6-rear.jpg

Jalori Pass
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-2.7-rear.jpg

On the way to Jaisalmer
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-2.8-rear.jpg

Many miles traveled..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-4.0-mirror.jpg

Many Picnics enjoyed
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-7.0-picnic-corbett.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-7.1-picnic-corbett.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-7.2-side-picnic-corbett.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-7.3-river-bed-corbett.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-7.4-side-pong.jpg

Many sunsets seen.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-4.1-mirror.jpg

Lending a helping hand
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-5.0-towing-skoda.jpg

Fort by the Fort
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-6.0-fort-n-fort.jpg

to be continued..
Manuuj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 15:06   #366
BHPian

Cool pictures.drooooling stuff manuuj...wishing you thousands more miles of safe/happy journey with the fort.
Old 21st December 2012, 15:53   #367
BHPian

White Toyota Fortuner TRD- 3 Wonderful Years!! :D

On the way to Rohtang
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-3.0.jpg
Desert near Jaisalmer
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-3.1-front.jpg
Happy in Corbett
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-3.2-front.jpg
Its cleaning Aids
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-38-cleaning-aids.jpg
With its Siblings
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-40-siblings.jpg
Only thing changed was the music system
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-36-music.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-37-rear-camera-view.jpg
..and in due course at about 72,000 kms the tyres
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-39-new-tyres.jpg
My world through the Fortuner over the last three years|
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-8.0.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-8.1.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-8.2.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-8.3.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-8.4.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-8.5.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-8.6.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-8.7.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-8.8.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-8.9.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-9.0.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-9.1.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-9.2.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-9.3.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-9.4.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-9.5.jpg

My Eversmiling Fortuner
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-41-eversmiling.jpg

Thus the saga continues. 2013 is going to be the year for some exciting Road Trips. That is my new year resolution. Ladakh, Spiti and Kashmir are in our sights.

Very soon in the new year the Fortuner will cross the 100,000 kms mark. What amazes me is that it still feels so fresh and new.

Ah yes..and three years later i finally gave it a name..YETI.
Manuuj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 02:07   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
On the 21st of December 2009 I started this thread about my TRD Fortuner that had finally come into my life on the 10th of December 2009 after a long exasperating wait.
Congratulations Manuuj ! 3 Years and 77K KMs - great figures. Yours must be the oldest and the most run T-Fortuner of TBHP.
Great going and keep rolling veteran !

Named him at his age ? Christening your T-Fortuner at this age as Yeti is sure going to give Skoda a few sleepless nights besides gving your vehicle some nightmares too.He'll loose face among Yetis too.

But then as the good Bard said what's in a name ? That which we call Yeti
by any other name would be just as quiet, efficient, tough, reliable and brutish.

Onwards Manuuj, with our good wishes, to 2L KMs and much beyond !

Last edited by Guderian : 22nd December 2012 at 02:09.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 16:33   #369
BHPian

Dear Manuuj,

hearty congrats!

What a lovely summary of your moments with the Fortuner!

Your car goes on to prove the ever reliable character of Toyota & equally 'easy on the pocket' maintenance.

Wishing you many more trouble free miles & many more joyous moments.
Old 27th December 2012, 13:42   #370
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic post Manuuj - thanks for sharing the photo timeline! Leh and Lahaul/Spiti are on my to do list for 2013. Maybe we can coordinate...

My vehicle touched 48K kms last week. Had an interesting experience driving with a busted right ankle. The vehicle proved worthy - the low range on steep trails, engine braking on Kalhatti Ghats and gearing/throttle while on the highway. Posted details on Devnath's thread in Which 4x4 section.
Old 27th December 2012, 13:56   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
three years and 72,000 kms without incident.

I feel really stupid for not sticking to Dunlops when it came time to replace my tyres. As the adage goes "If it ain't broken..dont try to fix it"
Congratulations Mannuj. Waiting for the 1 Lac kms report.

I will follow your example and will stick to BS Turanza when I replace my tyres on my swift. No issues till date.

I too was getting tempted by the YOKO C drive, AV DB. Will stick my trusty BS Turanzas.

On a related note, I saw a scorpio shod with Continental Cross Contact AT, pattern was really nice. I wonder if they are available on Fortuner's size.
Old 27th December 2012, 19:03   #372
M35
BHPian

Keep revving Manuj.Your Fortuner looks better than the new generation buddy.
BTW how are those Yokos performing these days. I am too riding Yokohama Geolanders A/T on my Scorpio.
Old 1st January 2013, 12:09   #373
BHPian

Breathtaking pictures Manuuj! Everything that a Fortuner should be!
Old 8th January 2013, 14:04   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Cool pictures.drooooling stuff manuuj...wishing you thousands more miles of safe/happy journey with the fort.
Thank you for your kind words r0ckstar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Congratulations Manuuj ! 3 Years and 77K KMs - great figures. Yours must be the oldest and the most run T-Fortuner of TBHP.
Great going and keep rolling veteran !

Onwards Manuuj, with our good wishes, to 2L KMs and much beyond !
Thanks for your wishes Guderian. I shall be submitting the 80,000 kms report soon. The 75,000 kms service was carried out a few weeks ago and was too uneventful to even report about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Dear Manuuj,

hearty congrats!

What a lovely summary of your moments with the Fortuner!

Your car goes on to prove the ever reliable character of Toyota & equally 'easy on the pocket' maintenance.

Wishing you many more trouble free miles & many more joyous moments.
Thank you Monaro for your kind words and wishes. The Fortuner certainly has been easy on the pocket as far as running costs go. I feel this car will be with me for a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Fantastic post Manuuj - thanks for sharing the photo timeline! Leh and Lahaul/Spiti are on my to do list for 2013. Maybe we can coordinate...

My vehicle touched 48K kms last week. Had an interesting experience driving with a busted right ankle. The vehicle proved worthy - the low range on steep trails, engine braking on Kalhatti Ghats and gearing/throttle while on the highway. Posted details on Devnath's thread in Which 4x4 section.
Busted Ankle? Hope you have a speedy recovery. When are you planning the Lahul and Spiti sojourn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Congratulations Mannuj. Waiting for the 1 Lac kms report.

I will follow your example and will stick to BS Turanza when I replace my tyres on my swift. No issues till date.

I too was getting tempted by the YOKO C drive, AV DB. Will stick my trusty BS Turanzas.

On a related note, I saw a scorpio shod with Continental Cross Contact AT, pattern was really nice. I wonder if they are available on Fortuner's size.
Thanks for your wishes F150.

The Yokos have performed well so far after the initial mishap.I still stick by my statement though that in hindsight i should have stuck to the Dunlops when replacing the old set.

I am not aware if Continental is offering Tyres in the Fortuners specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Keep revving Manuj.Your Fortuner looks better than the new generation buddy.
BTW how are those Yokos performing these days. I am too riding Yokohama Geolanders A/T on my Scorpio.

Thanks for your wishes M35. The Yokos are performing well after the initial mishap. They have exhibited good road holding with no squealing etc. I haven't taken it offroad so far though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.nayak View Post
Breathtaking pictures Manuuj! Everything that a Fortuner should be!
Thank you nikhil.nayak. The Fortuner has certainly been invaluable as a tourer. I am confident that 2013 will prove to be way more exciting than 2012 as far as road trips go. I shall keep the posts and pictures coming!
Old 8th January 2013, 22:34   #375
Senior - BHPian

Lahaul/Spiti: around Sep I guess. Will get a couple of friends to join in. Maybe you can try convincing some of the other folks in Team BHP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks