Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2013, 14:09   #421
BHPian

re: Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Thankyou all for the advice .As suggested by all yesterday went to ASC. They checked everything , the fuel lines, fluids and reported that everything is fine...As Guderian said might be water in fuel...Anyways I am relieved...Found another small problem. The wheel alignment nut (dont know the exact name) is found broken. The part rarely needs change so they dont have it in stock. They will be ordering the part tomorrow and may take three days. Advised me against running the car. Will be taking back today as I dont want to keep her in the service center.
Regards
DILIP
Good to know that it wasnt anything serious Dilip. I would have been very surprised and dismayed if it had been so. Its also good to hear that Toyota ASS took your complaint very seriously and checked the car in detail. How much did they charge you for this?

Also lucky was the timely detection of the broken wheel allignment nut. Keep us posted on future developments.
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:54   #422
BHPian

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 85,000 kms up

Hi all, Ive been a bit busy the past couple of months and so have been unable to post anything much about Obelix.

There was quite a bit of driving around and the countryside with a couple of trips to Punjab and a dash to Rishikesh for a weekend also. Everything is running well with no niggles or problems to report as expected.

Obelix was given its 85,000 kms service recently also. Alignment and Wheel Balancing was carried out also.

An important point regarding GEAR OIL As discussed on the thread before Gear Oil has never been topped or replaced in the last Three years. I checked all my previous bills to confirm this. I asked the Chief Technician about this. He said that it was NOT a part of routine maintenance but was only changed out if there was a problem or if a customer asked to do so.

Obelix has completed 88,000 kms now and i shall have the gear oil replaced at the 90,000 kms service which shall be due in about 2-3 weeks.

That will be a major service with Oil, Oil Filter, HVAC Filter, Air Filter etc all being replaced along with the Gear Oil.

Last edited by Manuuj : 23rd April 2013 at 14:01.
Manuuj is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 10:22   #423
BANNED

re: Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
It scores over the Toyota Fortuner easily in three departments. Paint quality, Ride and Braking.
The quality of paint is very very good and far better than my Fortuners and the Ride is simply superb.
The Pajero also has Disc Brakes all around which is naturally better than the Drum set up in the Fortuners rear wheels.
Yup, completely agree with you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
The Fortuners supension can be upgraded with an investment of about 60k in an Ironman Suspension which will bring it at par with the ride on the Pajero Sport.
Have you driven a Fortuner post this upgrade?
Are you planning to get it done?
Old 24th April 2013, 17:38   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Have you driven a Fortuner post this upgrade?
Are you planning to get it done?
The same cousin of mine who bought the Pajero Sports has driven one such Fortuner and says that the results were pretty good.

I do intend to get the upgrade at some point indeed. The Fortuner suspension sure is a sore point (pun intended).
Manuuj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 21:53   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The quality of paint is very very good and far better than my Fortuners
Hi Manuuj,

Firstly, thank you for all the information and feedback about your ride.

I have one question regarding the paint quality- Is it not good for the pearl white color only or for all colors in Toyota, in general?
Old 25th April 2013, 11:31   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Manuuj,

I have one question regarding the paint quality- Is it not good for the pearl white color only or for all colors in Toyota, in general?
Hi

I have a 4 month old Metallic Blue fortuner, and I can vouch for the quality of this metallic paint, at least as i can see it - it's pretty good, and though still early days, it still has the shine and sheen (have not given it a thorough waxing yet), and no swirl marks etc either. It has been scratched a couple of times by an over-enthusiastic labrador with sharp nails , but did not have an effect on the paint, and no peeling etc. Also, have a slight dent with slight peeling on the rear fender from an incident with a bike, but again the paint seems to have held up around the area pretty well.
venkat_iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 14:56   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Manuuj,

Hi getsurya, Welcome to Obelixs thread.

My Fortuner is a Super White Mica one and not the Metallic Pearl. In my view the metallic paints are harder than the mica ones. Its not an acute problem but my 10 year old Metallic Painted Qualis looks better than my 3 and half year old Fortuner in terms of finish. Even though i used chamois cloth and various microfibre cloths only coupled with high quality waxes and shampoos the swirl marks on my Fortuner seem to multiply.

We have a Pajero SFX of the same vintage (actually a year older) and its paint Quality is holding up very well even though its been taken through brambly bushes on a number of occasions. It is the graphite metallic shade again though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer View Post
Hi

I have a 4 month old Metallic Blue fortuner, and I can vouch for the quality of this metallic paint, at least as i can see it - it's pretty good, and though still early days, it still has the shine and sheen (have not given it a thorough waxing yet), and no swirl marks etc either. It has been scratched a couple of times by an over-enthusiastic labrador with sharp nails , but did not have an effect on the paint, and no peeling etc. Also, have a slight dent with slight peeling on the rear fender from an incident with a bike, but again the paint seems to have held up around the area pretty well.
Hi venkat! You are right. The finish on the metallic paints in the Fortuners seem much better and able to withstand mild abuse too. Also its a bit soon to judge yet. My Fortuner is 3/12 years old and has been through a greater number of washes,shampoos and waxes. This too has a bad affect on the paint over time.

A huge mistake i did was getting the vehicle Teflon coated when it was new (Page 2/3 of this thread). I feel they removed the hard lacquer applied at the factory which could have resulted in faster deterioration of my vehicles paint surface.

But when you see both the Pajero Sport and Fortuner (same white mica paint) side by side the differences in Quality and Depth of paint are more apparent.

Its not a serious issue at all just a minor difference.
Manuuj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 16:06   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Mettalic Silver Falcon is as good as the day I bought it nearly 18 months ago. I see no cause of complaint at all with the paint finishes from Toyota. Have never done teflon coating. But I regularly wax it once a month with Formula 1 polish.

Last edited by dkaile : 25th April 2013 at 16:09.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 21:12   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can vouch for the quality of this metallic paint
Hi Venkat,

Thanks for your post. Glad to note that there are no paint issues on your ride. I have not come across your ownership thread(unless you have not yet started it yet) which can be very useful for new potential buyers like me.

Quote:
My Fortuner is a Super White Mica one
Hi Manuuj,

Thanks for your response and the ownership thread! Very detailed and awesome. Probably your color might be an exception to the normal for the paint issues. Happy miles with Obelix!

Quote:
My Mettalic Silver Falcon is as good as the day I bought it nearly 18 months ago. I see no cause of complaint at all with the paint finishes from Toyota
hi Dkaile,

Appreciate your post. It is very reassuring to hear that your car's color is good and have no issues on that front. Enjoy going through your Raptor's ownership experience and keep the information coming.
Old 26th April 2013, 07:48   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Venkat,

Thanks for your post. Glad to note that there are no paint issues on your ride. I have not come across your ownership thread(unless you have not yet started it yet) which can be very useful for new potential buyers like me.
Though I had begun compiling one, laziness and work related pressures did not let me complete it yet (excuses, i know!). I don't know if you have checked Dieselite's ownership thread on his 5 speed AT Pearl White Fortuner, and he can give you some fresh insights as his seems to be the latest acquisition here.
venkat_iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 21:49   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
let me complete it yet
Hi Venkat,

Completely understand the excuses

Some details from each owner's perspective are truly valuable for potential buyers/customers, hence is the ask!

Have a good weekend.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 16:54   #432
BHPian

Hey Manuuj,
Your last update was on the 9th of july nothing after that!I have been following yours and Guderian's thread since long time.Hows the ride holding up?One thing I wanted to ask you was,how is the paint ?does it still have the original shine or has it turned dull?Also hows your Qualis? hope you didnt sell it!
Expecting to hear back from you.
Good bye.
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:11   #433
BHPian

What a thread! What a car! What a owner!

Dear Manuuj,

I have followed HG thread since day 1 but some how missed your thread over the years and reached here only after you reached 80k+

Crisp and Clear report. All the Best!

Happy Motoring!

~Best,
Old 7th October 2013, 12:42   #434
BHPian

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 3 years & 100,000 kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey Manuuj,
Your last update was on the 9th of july nothing after that!...One thing I wanted to ask you was,how is the paint ?does it still have the original shine or has it turned dull?Also hows your Qualis? hope you didnt sell it!
Expecting to hear back from you.
Good bye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG2 View Post
What a thread! What a car! What a owner!

Dear Manuuj,

I have followed HG thread since day 1 but some how missed your thread over the years and reached here only after you reached 80k+
Crisp and Clear report. All the Best!
Happy Motoring!
~Best,
After a really long delay in posting i shall be giving a detailed write up on Obelix very soon. This will include its 85,000-90,000-95,000 and 100,000 kms service reports as well as a report on Obelix's adventure in Leh. I am pleased to report that Obelix reached the 100,000 kms mark in the Spiti Valley on it way to Leh. There could be no better place to ring in this Milestone.

Reports coming up soon..watch this space!

Oh and a teaser..
Attached Thumbnails
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-735.jpg  

Manuuj is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 13:03   #435
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manuj,

Nice write up and detailed pictures, love the thread.

Congratulations on the 1,00,000 mark for the omnipotent Obelix.

Keep them coming.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed