Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 18:50   #1
BHPian

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!

It gives me great pleasure to announce the delivery of my new baby..a White Fortuner with TRD body kit..it was a tough and long labour but in the end all's well that ends well!..

The story goes..

March 2005..First news of the Fortuner trickled in..i saw some pics and immediately fell in love with the vehicle.

March 2005 to Feb 2008 Ate up the head of every Toyota Executive, Salesman, Service Advisor, Mechanic, Doorman and Janitor i could find to glean information on the Fortuners "impending" launch.

Feb 2008 Wrote to Toyota through Autocar India expressing my frustration and dismay that the Fortuner launch had been put off for all these years and stating my inability to comprehend why Toyota had not launched this superb Vehicle yet.

I also promised in this letter (which was subsequently published in the March 2008 issue of Autocar) that i was waiting with my cheque book in hand along with "many thousands" like me.

March 2008 to May 2009 A steady rise in information on the Fortuner is now noticeable, sightings are reported of Test cars, impending August launch is the buzzword on Forums, Car Magazines and all forms of media..the hype is building..I'm hoping it really happens this time!!

August 24th 2009 THe Fortuner is Finally Launched in India at an amazing price of 18.45 lacs ex showroom in New Delhi! My joy knows no bounds!

The vehicle is booked in Silver Mica Metallic at Galaxy Toyota Motinagar, New Delhi.

The expected date of Delivery is Feb-March 2010! (another long wait!..Sigh!!)

30th August 2009 Toyota Kirloskar Motors announces that due to the overwhelming demand and over 7000 bookings, the bookings for the Fortuner are beind suspended for now!

I feel vindicated for the statement i made in a letter to Toyota in Feb 2008!

Umpteen calls and visits to the showroom follow, September comes and goes..

20th October 2009 I meet with an Executive in Charge of allocations and tell her that i want to change my color to Super White as i prefer the Car in that color. She says if i stick to Silver she may be in a position to deliver in Mid-November itself!

My joy knows no bounds and i agree immediately! She asks me to come back on the first of November as she would only get the dispatch details for the November Fortuners from Toyota Kirloskar by that time.

1st November 2009 I am at the Showroom to meet the executive, someones Fortuner is being delivered..i stand around taking it all in and imagining the day that i will be in his place.

I am promised that a Silver Fortuner that is leaving from TKM on the 12th of November shall be ready for delivery to me on the Thursday the 19th of November.

Just three more weeks to go!! i cannot believe its really happening!

17th November I go with Cheques and a Bank Draft of the balance payment for the Fortuner but am told that i have to meet a different executive as the lady i was meeting earlier is off on training to Bangalore.

I wait for an hour and meet the new executive who coolly tells me that my allocation is not showing up on her system and that there is no Silver Fortuner that has been allocated to me by the earlier Executive!!

I am at a loss for words....

18th November 2009 I write a lenghty email to Toyota Customer Care in Bangalore explaining my anger, disappointment and frustration at this high handed treatment by their dealer.

18th November 2009, Three minutes later.. I get a call from Toyota Customer Care, Bangalore who ask me for all the details and promise to investigate and have an answer for me the same evening.

I get a call in the evening asking me to visit the showroom the next day and meet with the Sales Head, Customer Relations Head and Senior Management of Galaxy Toyota.

19th November 2009 i meet with the aforesaid individuals who are all apologetic for the "mix up" due to a " communication breakdown" and promise (again) that a Fortuner will be delivered to me in December for sure.

I take this opportunity to renew my request for a color change to White from Silver and this is accepted by them.

24th November 2009 Full and final payments are made for the vehicle.

I shall have to wait again till the end of the month to check the December dispatches from TKM to Galaxy.

1st December 2009 Once more i am promised that a White Fortuner that is leaving from TKM on the 3rd of December and reaching the Galaxy Toyota stockyard on the 8th of December will be delivered to me on Thursday the 10th of December

Monday 7th December I go to Galaxy Toyota Motinagar too check if everything is going according to schedule.

I have also been in constant touch via phone and SMS with my Sales Advisor for the past week to make sure there are no nasty surprises this time around.

To my horror and mind numbing shock i learn that once more the vehicle has been alloted to someone else and that the best they can do is a January 2010 delivery. I am asked to check the dispatch details at the end of December or 1st of January for a clearer picture.

I ERUPT like a volcano.

All my anger and frustration come pouring out on my hapless Sales Advisor. I storm into the GM Sales office and demand an explanation. I also summon the head of Customer Relations to his office from my mobile. Threats are isssued to everyone in sight that if they do this to me for a second time i will take this up with all concerned Authorities at Toyota Bharat, Auto Magazines and Forums on the net.

I leave at being offered no satisfactory explanation.

A meeting is held later with the Top Management and they ask me for a days time to resolve the issue.

Wednesday, 9th December 2:30 PM I get an SMS from the top management "Mr. A.S." saying that he can offer me a White Fortuner that had been prepared for delivery for his close personal friend BUT the catch is that it has some Accesories added on it.

I shall have to take the same if i want this vehicle or wait till January end.

I am also told that Prices may go up anywhere between 2% to 5% by then.

I inform them that i am on the way to see the vehicle and that i shall reach them by 5 PM. I call my parents and ask them to reach the showroom also.

Wednesday, 9th November 5:15 PM I get my first look at my Fortuner.. OOOOH! and OUCH!

Its got a White TRD Body Kit, Door Cladding, Dark 3M Filming, White Fender Mirror, ORVM's with Indicators, Rear Bumper Protector, Muffler Cutter, Door Visors and Chrome Meter Rings on it that make the vehicle look great!

What looks ghastly are the Chrome Front Headlight and Rear Tail Light Surrounds, Chrome Indicator Surrounds, Chrome Door Handle Surrounds, Chrome B Pillar Cover and...(gulp)..GOLD EMBLEMS!!

It looks like a Christmas tree!!

I ask for a day to think it over and leave.

Thursday, December 10th 2009, 8:30 AM After a sleepless night looking at all the pictures i clicked of the car with my phone and mulling over all the possibilities in my mind and with my parents it is concluded that i shall take delivery of this very Fortuner and at a later stage, simply remove all offending accessories. (The Gold Emblems being the First on the list of things to to go!)

10:00 AM A quick commute to the showroom thanks to the Delhi Metro has me standing in front of my (shining) Fortuner where much to my releif one offending article , the Front Headlight Chrome Surrounds have already been removed by the Dealership itself thanks to my Sales Advisor. My White Fortuner is already looking a lot better!

I smile for the first time in days.

I hand out the boxes of chocolates along with the little gifts that i had bought a few days ago for each of the Sales Team and "Mr. A.S." who I had interacted with at the showroom.

Nothing for the Sales Head and Customer Relations Manager though.

1:00PM All formalities have been completed and I am handed over three sets of keys to my very own Fortuner!

I can scarcely believe it..my wait is over!!

I sit inside and start it and my smile grows wider as i am greeted by the not so muffled growl of the 3 liter engine.

I haven't stopped smiling since!.. The ODO now reads 710 kilometers.

That is all for now friends..more words to come with pics soon! Ciao!

Last edited by Manuuj : 21st December 2009 at 18:58.
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2009, 18:54   #2
BHPian

Congrats, That's the BEAST you have there
Waiting for pics buddy !

UPDATE :
I was so excited reading the title, that I missed reading the trouble you faced.
But hey, great to see your optimistic approach "all's well that ends well!"

Last edited by siddhu_engg24 : 21st December 2009 at 19:01.
Old 21st December 2009, 19:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

wow, thats some ordeal, manuuj

but all's well that ends well, my friend.

congrats on this wonderful buy and you have clocked 710 kms and havnt posted any pic yet.

this is not fair to fellow T-Bhpians, is it ?

post the pics please and congrats once again.

drive safe
Old 21st December 2009, 19:01   #4
lsp
BHPian

Congrats Mannuj
The long and agonosing wait is finally over.
Its not uncommon to hear about dealers mixing up and delivering someone else your car. Could be even more in this scenario when fortuner is commanding a premium. Your actions to blast the people concerned for the goofups is entirely justified.

I especially liked the part when u gave chocolates to everyone but the Sales Head and Customer Relations Manager.

wishing u lacs of happy miles with the Fortuner. Do post the pics and detailed review.
Old 21st December 2009, 19:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
wow, thats some ordeal, manuuj

but all's well that ends well, my friend.

congrats on this wonderful buy and you have clocked 710 kms and havnt posted any pic yet.

this is not fair to fellow T-Bhpians, is it ?

post the pics please and congrats once again.

drive safe
Could not help it my friend..have only wanted to drive it and do nothing else!

Shall post the pics real soon..promise!
Old 21st December 2009, 19:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

1) Congratulations! This is a car that India has gone mad about.

2) Although production was raised to 600 units, the constraint of non availability remains.

IIRC, CKD units are imported and this is where the constraint is.
Toyota has not taken care properly here. They have deliberately kept the availability low to keep up the premium.
I also remember Toyota mentioning that headquarters is now directly controlling sales as dealer were indulging in malpractices like taking premium to take the car early.

I am sure that toyota can provide more than 600-700 units a month. Next, how come your car was allotted to someone else when HQ iteslf is controlling sales ?

Are they bribed too ?
Thanks for putting this up.

I dont like this way of taking premium i.e. bribe and delivering the car to the one who has paid bribe. I take this as personal insult. This is true for every car that has waiting period. Be it Swift or Fortuner.

I am really upset by the deeds of Toyota.
Old 21st December 2009, 19:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition, and nice colour choice

I was never a big fan of Fortuner, may be because its a baby infront of all other huge fuel guzlers I used to see on US roads.

But man this looks great on Indian road, head turner offcourse

Please do post some pics
Old 21st December 2009, 19:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice write-up Manuuj! Alls well that ends well, I guess. The fortuner is a real beast and with Toyota's bullet proof reliability, you have a winner in your hands

Looking forward to the photos.
Old 21st December 2009, 20:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! Does your Fortuner look like this? spotted it near my building
Attached Thumbnails
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-imag0302.jpg  

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-imag0300.jpg  

Old 21st December 2009, 20:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

Why would someone do that to a Fortuner?

BTW Toyota can easily sell 900-1000 Fortuners and still maintain premium. In my opinion they aren't cashing in on like the Innova.

We're disposing off our 7 year old Qualis. We might opt for an Innova or a Fortuner...
Old 21st December 2009, 22:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. In my opinion White looks extremely good on a Fortuner.

The waiting period here is 6 months as of today with a compulsary buy of 1 lac worth of accessories !

So I think you made an excellent decision in picking it up despite it being all blinged up

I am eager to look at the pics of the accessories.
Old 21st December 2009, 23:35   #12
BHPian

this beauty sure has some road presence toyota has really lost out a lot by not launching it earlier. the endeavour and pajero have a lot to worry about but i think even the crv captiva and tucson have a lot to loose.
you've really been patient manuj and have been put through a lot.
i hope you are going to make use of those lockable diffs and have not bought it for showboating, would love to hear your reviews on how she behaves
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Manuuj. Fortuner definately is a head turner.

Its so huge and scary.

I heard brakes are not up to the mark for a 3.0L engine.
I had read about same in GTOs review.Also, one of the owners too was telling same.

Any comments?
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:06   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats. Very well written as well. Pics please.
How much extra did you pay for the accessories, or was it offered at no extra cost due to their goof-ups?
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I saw the same car at Carter Road. Didn't really like the bodykit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks