Model – Ford Ikon 1.6Nxt Exi
Colour – Panther Black
Purchased – Aug 2005
Dealer – Sundaram Ford, Hyderabad.
Purchase cost – 6,20,000 Indian Rupees approx

Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-car.jpg

Now here is the long term report....

First the purchase story ......

I decided to buy a new car when I was working for an MNC in Hyderabad. With my limited budget I was planning for a hatchback and narrowed it to Getz. At that time Hyundai detailer was not giving proper response, so while going to office saw a Ford Show room at Jubilee hills circle towards madhapur. I and my friend dropped into the show room and were impressed with Ford Ikon Flair (with Josh Kit) and it was within budget. So we selected Panther Black and decided to buy it the very next day. Next day went to the showroom and paid the initial amount for Ikon Flair and was waiting for the delivery. While we were waiting the sale person came to us told us that another model Ikon 1.6nxt was also available with the same colour and wanted us to check it out. We went tested it and was very much impressed and selected it though it was way out of our budget and (we paid 90K more) took the deliver the same day!

And now the ownership experience:

I and the car grew up long side and I have a special bond with this car. This is the first car that I started driving and first car in our family. I was by my side on my marriage, and my son’s birth. I have done lots of long drivers in my Ikon. Hyderabad -> Chennai 10-15 times, Hyderabad -> Bangalore 8-10 times, Bangalore -> Chennai 25-30 times, Hyderabad->Srisailam 5 -6 times, Hyderabad ->Badrachalam 5-6 times, Chennai->Nagercoil 2 times, Chennai->Pudukotai 2 times and once to Hyderabad->Chennai->Coimbatore->Gurvaur->Coimbatore->Mysore->Bangalore->Hyderabad.
In all the long drivers that I had done the car has not let me down except for 3 times (in all) due to tyre puncture!

Mileage:
  • In Hyderabad , Bangalore and Chennai traffic I was getting 9-10KMPL
  • In long drivers I was getting 12-14KMPL.
  • During one of my trip to Bangalore from Chennai (in 2007) I did a full tank for the whole trip. .i.e topped-up in Chennai and filled it back in Chennai. I have not tried it ever after.
  • Worst mileage – 8 KMPL: In Bangalore traffic
  • Best Mileage – 16KMPL: Drive during Chennai->Bangalore->Chennai
Major Accidents:

Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-acc.jpg

I had one major accident while travelling from Chennai to Bangalore. My family came out of this accident without a single scratch.
Check this out: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1039488.
The total bill came out to apprx 1 lakh

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1044464

I still restored it as I was not willing to miss it.

Second Birth:

Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4778.jpg
Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4779.jpg
Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4780.jpg

List of Accessories:
• Remote lock – Xenos Firewall with Up relay
• Windscreen wipers - Bosh
• Pioneer Head Unit with 2 tweeters, 2 Front Speakers, 2 Back Speaker and 1 woofer – all Pioneer and JBL Amp
• Black Seat Cover
• Aura Alloy wheel 14”
• Michelin XM1+ tubeless tyres

List of parts changed till now:

I have replaced all most all part except Chassis, Engine, Radiator, Power Steering, Power windows, A/C, Brake assembly and 4 passenger doors.

A.S.S Experience:

I have used the below list of Ford Dealers for A.S.S:
• Sundaram Ford - Hyderabad
• Fortune Ford - Hyderabad
• Metro Ford - Bangalore
• Chennai Ford – Chennai
• MPL Ford – Chennai

All interactions with the dealers for A.S.S were worst and bitter! Not even one of them were up to the mark. Few Examples:
  • While going to SirSailam from Hyderabad I hit a pothole and the steel wheel got bent, So went to Fortune Ford for replacing it. He gave me a Steel wheel rim, and asked me to get it replaced it at a tyre shop because he didn’t have a working machine and to top it all he charged labor cost for it. We met the manager there and he also said the same thing, so got the spare wheel paid labor cost and got it fixed at a shop nearby!
  • Gave my car for A/C vent cleaning at Chennai Ford and the front console was damaged and they were not even apologetic!
and many many more …

Till today I don’t have a single instance where I felt good with A.S.S, and I have stopped going to Ford Authorized dealers any more as I found Ignite garage @ Chennai more comfortable to leave my car.

Performance:

I have never felt bad in all the drive that I did. The driving and handling was superb and I never felt under powered at any instance. You always feel planted include curve and turns! When I had the choice of SX4 / Ikon for a long drive it was always the Ikon that I choose!

Brakes:

This is for sure something to watch for. The brake does not match the power the vehicle generates has!

Top Speeds:

Maximum: Touched 170KMPH when driving from Hyderabad to Srisailam and while driving from Hyderabad to Chennai
Top speed for a long duration: Drove at 120KMPH while driving from Bangalore to Chennai for continues 2 hours (only place to slow was the toll gates)
Top speeds where you feel the car planted and more responsive: 120KMPH.

Interior:

Other than the Dashboard, I didn’t like the power window switches, door handles and all the plastics. I have no option but to start liking it.

Minute things that I liked:
  • The Seat adjuster - a turn knob, you can select any position you want
  • Boot Opener – Placed below the Steering wheel
  • Reading lights – well placed for both driver and co-passenger
  • Door opening – the doors while opening stops midway and then a push opens fully. This had helped a lot while stopping in slopes were the doors will not freely swing
  • Dickey opening switch
Minute things that I dis-liked:
  • Parking light switches – it is behind the steering wheel, difficult to access while driving.
  • Storage Space – very less storage space to hold anything
Overall
+
  • Responsive engine, Handling and steering response
  • Back seat space
_
  • A.S.S
  • A.S.S
  • A.S.S
  • Brakes
  • Interior plastics
Old 26th December 2009, 23:56   #2
BHPian

Well written Review. How much did you pay from pocket out of that 1Lakh accident repair cost?
Old 27th December 2009, 00:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Simple and honest review

Seems the car is an integral part of your family now!
Old 27th December 2009, 11:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Well written Review. How much did you pay from pocket out of that 1Lakh accident repair cost?
I had to pay around 40K from by pocket. But it was worth the spend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Simple and honest review

Seems the car is an integral part of your family now!
A big yes. One more reason is that it is our first car in our family!
Old 27th December 2009, 15:03   #5
BHPian

Continues .... Updates with picture:

Let the pictures do the talking ...

Well placed Steering:

Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4810.jpg

Dashboard Console:

Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4809.jpg
Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4811.jpg

All Black Interior:

Good driving position
Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4807.jpg

Good Backseat Space
Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4808.jpg

Driver's View through rear windshield: The visibility is poor

Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4813.jpg

Engine Bay:

Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4815.jpg

Boot:

With Woofer, first Aid kit and Repair Kits

Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4816.jpg

JBL Amplifer

Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4817.jpg

Stepney: Custom bolt made @ Ignite garage for Alloy wheel.

Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4819.jpg

Alloy Wheels: Aura 14" and Michelin +XM1 tubeless tyres

Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms-img_4783.jpg

Last edited by mail4loys : 27th December 2009 at 15:08.
Old 27th December 2009, 18:12   #6
BHPian

nice pics!

mail4loys: I have a 1.6 SXi (75k). Just put in Michelin Energies. However, there's a lot of tyre humming at 60-80kmph. Reduces after this. Are you experiencing something similar?
Old 27th December 2009, 18:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
nice pics!

mail4loys: I have a 1.6 SXi (75k). Just put in Michelin Energies. However, there's a lot of tyre humming at 60-80kmph. Reduces after this. Are you experiencing something similar?
@d_himan: Earlier a similar sound was diagonalized as bearing problem and after changing the bearing the sound went missing. The tyre noise was high while i was using Apollo Acceleres and that has largely reduced after moving into Michelin. What is the tyre pressure that you maintain?

Last edited by mail4loys : 27th December 2009 at 18:32.
Old 27th December 2009, 18:37   #8
BHPian

hey mail,

I liked your simple ownership review. Its nice.

After some time, the car we drive becomes a part of our life. No wonder that you restored it.

Would i suggest you that you get the engine bay cleaned and polish sprayed. It will look very nice and new.

I wish you many many more miles in your Black Beauty.
Old 27th December 2009, 22:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
hey mail,

Would i suggest you that you get the engine bay cleaned and polish sprayed. It will look very nice and new.
@nandans: Thanks buddy. I did full car cleaning 2 weeks back (which included engine bay). then i did a drive to Chennai & back on a rainy day. Will make sure that engine bay is clean and neat.
Old 1st January 2010, 14:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
@d_himan: Earlier a similar sound was diagonalized as bearing problem and after changing the bearing the sound went missing. The tyre noise was high while i was using Apollo Acceleres and that has largely reduced after moving into Michelin. What is the tyre pressure that you maintain?
30 PSi. Thanks mail4loys - will check if there's a bearing problem. Surprisingly though, there was no such issue with until the tyre replacement!

The engine's still so strong after all these years - even my Swift P with low-mid FFE+K&N Conical feels a bit sluggish after driving the Ford!
Old 27th January 2011, 17:01   #11
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 @ 80K - long term ownership

My car has successfully crossed the 80K mark this month. Other than shredded engine belt while coming from chennai to Hosur a month back (described below), there was no let down or incidents. Had sent the car for service twice and the service bill was ~Rs. 2500/-. Things that were changed:

left rear break light
Engine belt
Engine belt bearing

Of-late i notice oil drops on the parking if the vehicle is parked for a long time. I'm planning to drop my car in Raghav's garage next time i visit Chennai to fix this.

Experience with Vellore-Ford Service center:
While driving from Chennai to Hosur, after crossing Kanchipuram (at around 6:30 am) the battery light switched on and the temperature was gradually moving to High. We stopped the car in the service lane and found that the engine belt was shredded. Called Ford 24 hrs assistance and he gave the contact number of Ford service station at Vellore. Call that number and he said that the service station will be opened only @ 9am and he asked us to drive the vehicle slowly towards Vellore and asked us to stop for sometime if the temperature nears high. We managed to drove this way till Ranipet tollgate and by the time the battery died.

Spoke to the person again @ vellore ford. They sent a fully charged battery with a recovery van that was going to tow a Ikon was that had an accident few mins back. The battery reached us with a mechanic at 10am. He removed the battery in the car and fixed the batter that he brought. Then we started our journey stopping every kilometer for the engine to cool. Finally reach Vellore Service center at 12:00pm.

The Service station was a total chaos. There was nobody to attend us and we were standing in the service station for an hour and finally someone came forward and noted the issues and disappeared. We went into the service station and finally managed to find the mechanic who had come accompanied us with a battery. He want and spoke to another person and finally inspected the vehicle. it had a loose bearing and he change it, then it was hoisted and belt was added and the car was ready at 1pm (the actual work took just 20 mins). 1pm was their lunch time and everyone disappeared, i was not able to take my vehicle as the paper work was not done, finally they came at 2pm and paper work took another 1 hr and we were release at 3pm.

The visit left me with a mixed feeling !
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:39   #12
BHPian

re: Long Term Ownership Report - Ford Ikon 1.6 - Now at 80,000 Kms

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff :

Post Deleted. Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd February 2011 at 22:09. Reason: typing error
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

deepfusion
However bad Fords service is, you have no right to use such abusive language on the forum. Please restrain yourself from using such vulgar words.

mail4loys, nice long term ownership report. I know how frustrating it is to deal with fords A.S.S! First time ford owner here. Figo

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd February 2011 at 22:11. Reason: quoted post deleted
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Model – Ford Ikon 1.6Nxt Exi
Colour – Panther Black
Purchased – Aug 2005
Dealer – Sundaram Ford, Hyderabad.
Purchase cost – 6,20,000 Indian Rupees approx

Now here is the long term report....

First the purchase story ......

I decided to buy a new car when I was working for an MNC in Hyderabad. With my limited budget I was planning for a hatchback and narrowed it to Getz. At that time Hyundai detailer was not giving proper response, so while going to office saw a Ford Show room at Jubilee hills circle towards madhapur. I and my friend dropped into the show room and were impressed with Ford Ikon Flair (with Josh Kit) and it was within budget. So we selected Panther Black and decided to buy it the very next day. Next day went to the showroom and paid the initial amount for Ikon Flair and was waiting for the delivery. While we were waiting the sale person came to us told us that another model Ikon 1.6nxt was also available with the same colour and wanted us to check it out. We went tested it and was very much impressed and selected it though it was way out of our budget and (we paid 90K more) took the deliver the same day!
Excellent review!
This brought back the memories of my car purchase in 2003.
I went to buy a 1.3 flair, and drove out the 1.6 NXT ZXI

Quote:
Performance:

I have never felt bad in all the drive that I did. The driving and handling was superb and I never felt under powered at any instance. You always feel planted include curve and turns! When I had the choice of SX4 / Ikon for a long drive it was always the Ikon that I choose!

Brakes:

This is for sure something to watch for. The brake does not match the power the vehicle generates has!

Top Speeds:

Maximum: Touched 170KMPH when driving from Hyderabad to Srisailam and while driving from Hyderabad to Chennai
Top speed for a long duration: Drove at 120KMPH while driving from Bangalore to Chennai for continues 2 hours (only place to slow was the toll gates)
Top speeds where you feel the car planted and more responsive: 120KMPH.
Completely aligned with your views here. Superb handling and the car always felt very responsive. And the small steering wheel is awesome. And the brakes – indeed the most negative (and glaring) aspect of this car. The top speed I tried was around 150kmph, and above 120, it does give a disconnected feel from the road.

Contrary to your experience, I never had any issue with the Ford A.S.S. My car is always checked and serviced at Ford dealership in Thrissur, Kerala (Kairali Ford). And once I had to visit Metro Ford in Bangalore due to a knock received on the back wheel. Again the service was quick and prompt!
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post

mail4loys, nice long term ownership report. I know how frustrating it is to deal with fords A.S.S! First time ford owner here. Figo
I had seen Ford Server for more than 5 years, they had definitely improved a lot, but still they are way behind from the competitors in A.S.S. I find Raghav's garage more professional and i use their service for major work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Excellent review!
This brought back the memories of my car purchase in 2003.
I went to buy a 1.3 flair, and drove out the 1.6 NXT ZXI
Nice to know that i'm not alone here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Contrary to your experience, I never had any issue with the Ford A.S.S. My car is always checked and serviced at Ford dealership in Thrissur, Kerala (Kairali Ford). And once I had to visit Metro Ford in Bangalore due to a knock received on the back wheel. Again the service was quick and prompt!
I didn't get any opportunity to use Ford A.S.S. in Kerala. But had used in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai & Vellore, it is always a mixed feeling!

Most Viewed