Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 15:31   #31
BHPian

Very nice write up. Hilarious, but thought provoking. All the best with the car. Hope Tata understands the importnace of after sales service.
Old 30th December 2009, 17:31   #32
BHPian

My good friend the TASS service advisor just called. Bill amount is ~ Rs 5600/-.
The two main components that got charged are the clutch plate and also some bolt for the gearbox. My vehicle is expected back tomorrow.

I need to quickly find my 'Auto' predictions for 2010 to see how this journey is supposed to turn out next year
Old 30th December 2009, 17:35   #33
BHPian

With the prelude and with this "In my case i sent my vehicle a year back for some retro fitment thinking that my vehicle will transform from a peach to peach++, but what came back was lemon--. ".

It really got me on the floor laughing. Ha Ha.
Old 31st December 2009, 08:59   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Bill amount is ~ Rs 5600/-.
I need to quickly find my 'Auto' predictions for 2010 to see how this journey is supposed to turn out next year
Hey wait a sec, isnt all that under warranty? If not, then thats TATAs New Year gift for you I guess,... And guess what, they are giving it back to you on the last day of 2009, so that they might get to earn some more while it lasts. It would have anyway developed some new snag by now....Just kidding.

Auto Predictions for 2010, well going by your past, I must say looks like its time to visit carwale.com and post a sale if I were you. My 25 naya paisa to it.
Old 31st December 2009, 09:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

xbox; that was a nice post.

Quote:
TATA's lack of QC is inclusive of its monitoring/ bench marking of after sales services provided to its products.
TATA can easily appoint TATA's own QC personnel atleast at 50% of its dealerships to ensure the QC monitoring/ bench marking. The cost of salaries can be covered by preventing wrong diagnostics led wrong replacements under warranty!

I love and respect TATA patriotically. It is a critical moment for our TATA now to earn more love and respect from its patronising customers by offering consistent quality be in their product and their services as well.
Well put Hari, Tata should be lucky to have people like us. All I want them to do is give us a better A.S.S. I can see that the newer ones are better than what I had got in terms of refinement but why cant they excel at this too ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
My good friend the TASS service advisor just called. Bill amount is ~ Rs 5600/-.
The two main components that got charged are the clutch plate and also some bolt for the gearbox. My vehicle is expected back tomorrow.

Looks fine to me. Lucky you dont own a Skoda

I too might need to get my clutch and pressure plate changed and seems it might cost me 10k. Not a lemon but maybe I drive bad. Will get this changed when I go for the 60k service.
Old 31st December 2009, 09:34   #36
BHPian

having used 5 sierras 1 tata estate and 1 safari all i can say is tata teaches you
1)patience(lack of grunt at any speed)
2) foot dexterity(slipping the clutch to surmount the slightest slope)
3)finger dexterity(switching the ac on and off each time you need power)
4)excellent eye coordination(to keep the thing pointed where you want it to go)
5) importance of mental alerness at all times (you never know what will go wrong when)
AND LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST
teaches you the anti murphy law (even if it aint broke fix it cause it sure will break when you least expect it to).
BUT ALL SAID AND DONE IT IS ALL WORTH IT
Old 31st December 2009, 14:35   #37
BHPian

The vehicle just got back home. The bill i received was inflated to 6000 from 5.6k quoted yesterday!

The clutch feels very light now; i dont remember it being so soft ever. Not sure if this is a good thing or i am the lucky ower of another part that has evaded the QC police.

Time will tell.
Old 31st December 2009, 15:21   #38
BHPian

Hilarious writeup xbox360! My family has had the pleasure of owning the Indigo, which as of now has crossed 50K kms and is used quite frequently! However, we are lucky that we didn't have to suffer with it so much!

Anyways, here's hoping for a prosperous New Year for you and the Safari!

As a FIAT owner, I have faced numerous such incidents relating to poor service, however, since it is an age old Uno, I really can't blame the service guys.... most of them have not seen the car before
Old 31st December 2009, 16:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

xbox; I was told that its better to change pressure plate along with the clutch. Not sure if it applies only for 2.2L though. Any idea?
Old 31st December 2009, 17:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
xbox; I was told that its better to change pressure plate along with the clutch. Not sure if it applies only for 2.2L though. Any idea?
In my case the pressure plate was at fault, they told me to have the clutch plate changed too.
Old 31st December 2009, 17:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

For a better compatibility and operations, Pressure plate, clutch plate and Slave cylinder is changed together.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:17   #42
BHPian

There is marked improvement in the vehicle since the clutch plate and pressure plate were changed. Not very sure how to describe this, but the revving and speed feels a lot more linear than ever before.
This leads me to think was there always some degree of slippage from the begining!
Hmm, if so TASS folks probably were waiting for the warranty to expire all this while OR they do not know how to tell good from bad for even such basic things!!
Old 7th January 2010, 17:06   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
Thats real funny Xbox - I'm sure equally frustrating as well! I have a Safari 2.2 as well - no major problems as of now - just the trademark Tata niggles - that make you fonder of it - lol!
Heading out on a road trip today so keeping my fingers crossed as well. Good luck to you :-)
Funny how owners across the length and breadth of our country have so many diverse views. In fact in my city, Rahulk76 and myself do not agree on the efficacy of a TASS.

I can only say that during my third service, (after 2 years) I told TASS that I would not take back the vehicle unless everything is done to their and my satisfaction.
After 4 months I am one happy owner (touch wood ). No problems except for one rattling passenger side window - and that too once in a while.
Old 17th January 2010, 21:33   #44
BHPian

Had written this post that got buried in the english movies thread, thought will surface it here.

Avatar the movie -- An IT guy's take on Pandora
I am guessing that a lot of you like me have toiled to secure tickets to this once in a lifetime show of computer animation prowess that dwarf's anything that we have ever seen before; or for that matter anything that we may see for some time now.
I like all of us were looking forward to this 3D extravaganza, and was looking to see how the creator has merged one world with another with such finesse that its hard to spot the seam in the stitching. But what i walked out with at the end of the film was not the general awe of seeing this visual spectacle but an IT vision of a utopian system rendered visually and presented to us as Pandora. Yeah yeah i know, you think that i have had too much to drink, but for the time being lets park the blame for this cross-correlation on the 3D glasses and dwell into what we saw--

//DISCLAIMER :: Some of what follows is hardcore IT stuff,
if (any of this is known to cause allergic reactions or induce motion sickness)
//i suggest you
break;
else //here is my take

1) The universal IO port -- The Na'vi and all living forms on Pandora can interface with each other using their pony tail (read IO port) that looks a lot like the RS232 port (i am not kidding, i am sure i saw 9 strands in the Navi's pony tail) that they used to interface with any element living or dead in the Pandora system.
2) Strong authentication -- The Na'vi could interface and create a bond with another creature in Pandora upon passing the strong p2p authentication post establishment of link. In case the authentication failed, the component that initiated the link is marked as malicious and could face deadly consequences from the other party including pre term garbage collection!
3) Shared communication protocol -- No matter what being you are on Pandora basically meaning what language you speak, you could transfer your thoughts over this universal link in a language that is common between all beings. Now stirring up my mind a bit more i vaguely remember that in ancient civilization like China and Japan, the people had pony tails. Maybe there was a pony-to-pony (p2p ) communication protocol in our history as well which may have been lost or compromised as the world took to hair cuts to supposedly look better .
4) Serialization and persistence -- When the Na'vi died, the system did not lose the wealth of knowledge and experience that the being had accumulated. But the being's full state was serialized to the holy tree which i saw as the perfect RDBMS (SQL store) with infinite capacity to scale as it seems all Na'vi souls and their collective wealth of knowledge is captured in that single tree (I am sure after looking at this, Teradata and Oracle architects have a not so rosy yearly review in store for them this year).
5) There were other constructs like grid computing where all the Navi's connect with the tree and chant collectively to do some major transformations and Async calls where the tree responds to the Hero's prayers asynchronously by directing all animals to attack the humans just before the wait time out expired (or in this case the hero and heroine expired).

I am pretty sure, there were more such constructs which i may have missed which may require me to watch this movie a bit more closely the second time.
But this leaves open a few pertinent questions, if a non-tech person like the script writer can envision all these principles and show us what can be enabled with a few good design principles why is our world today diverging more and more from fundamental constructs and fuelling entropy!!
Old 19th January 2010, 01:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

@xbox 360: That was one hilarious read. But let me tell you that TATA is nowhere close to FIAT in imparting accelerated engineering and management education with fair doses of application of innovation thrown in. The learning is very steep especially if you have the early model Uno's which I'm very lucky to posses.

The other Indian manufacturer M&M not wanting to be outdone has also spruced up its act and are making vehicles that will give TATA's run for their money (pun fully intended). One of the superb examples of this ilk is my Bolero which in its 8 month journey till now has already spent more than 2 months in the maika (ASC) and has been bestowed with a chassis and engine which it didn't come it. And the way its going, it looks like its the Gear box's turn this time.

All this said and done, the silver lining in all this is you are learning to be patient without having to pay any Yoga Guru

Most Viewed