Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2011, 21:48   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Reclaiming life - My Tata Safari TCIC. 13 years, 1,23,000 kms and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
It also returned a mileage of 17kmpl+, when I followed the advice of not crossing 2000 rpm in any gear (except 2nd gear sometimes). It was hard to follow, but my wife and mother were really happy. On the way to Kolar it returned close to 18kmpl, but on the way back, the fuel consumption was around 12 kmpl.
I almost got an heart-attack. Jokes apart but those are some phenomenal figures for any of the SUV weighing 2 tonnes and severely under-powered. Are you sure your pump setting is correct?
Old 16th October 2011, 22:10   #92
BHPian

Well, the trick is to keep the vehicle in the 1800-1900 rpm range. In 5th gear, that translates to about 80kmph. Once you cross that, specially 2000 rpm, fuel economy is reduced.

Regarding underpowered, I don't really feel that the vehicle is underpowered for most of the driving conditions. Well, you have more experience in driving a similar vehicle, but technically it does its job just fine. Sure, its not a racer, but I was taking steep, close to 40 degrees hairpin bend in 2nd gear comfortably, and that's enough for my requirements .

I have no idea about the pump settings. Let me know if there is way to figure it out without going to the service station.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 09:36   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
I BELIEVE all safari's give extraordinary problems , within warranty... after warranty. ... Luckily the spares are inexpensive considering the segment because of the DNA.
Not really. I have had Safari TCIC for 3 years and own a Dicor 2.2 for 2.5 years and they have not failed me anytime on my tours. TCIC is one of the most reliable engines and in one instance it is still running past 2.5 L without opening the engine (in a Sierra where the same mill is doing duty) that I know.
But the spares if sourced from the authorized service centers can be very expensive and so is the repair.
Old 17th October 2011, 10:23   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Not really. I have had Safari TCIC for 3 years and own a Dicor 2.2 for 2.5 years and they have not failed me anytime on my tours. TCIC is one of the most reliable engines and in one instance it is still running past 2.5 L without opening the engine (in a Sierra where the same mill is doing duty) that I know.
But the spares if sourced from the authorized service centers can be very expensive and so is the repair.
Hi,
I believe most tata vehicles and specially the safari starts giving one problems after another after 40000km or 4 years or so. When the low quality oe spares tata uses start giving up on you one by one.
I have had 2 indigos , 1 indica in the past and safari currently.
maybe Its not such a unwise thing to divorce her after this honeymoon period is over.
And its good thing that ur experience is good. May lord keep it that way.
original or good quality compatible spares are luckily available in after market as some parts are shared with tata hcvs, mahindra s, even leyland. so upkeep is that way inexpensive. And i havent had any recurring jobs to do luckily.
But simply the number of things that go wrong after this period is staggering.
Old 17th October 2011, 13:43   #95
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely agree with Highnoon. Poor parts quality coupled with pathetic service makes for a nightmare for the owner.
Old 19th October 2011, 16:54   #96
BHPian

My safari is under attack by rats. One rat decided to die inside the blower. Does anybody know of a good AC mechanic in North Bangalore near Kammannahalli? ASCs are charging Rs. 3k for cleaning the mess.
Old 23rd October 2011, 07:05   #97
BHPian

Gave the car to a local AC service center. Dashboard opening, cleaning the blower, AC cooling coils, recharge of compressor gas and oil, cleaning inside etc. everything was done for Rs. 3900.

It took them 2 days to complete the job, and they worked from 11-9 pretty much on the second day. The dashboard setup is kind of complicated, may be more in the recent versions. Still a number of things like some of th ebacklit lights, FM, one AC vent etc. are not working, will get it attended to tomorrow.

AC is great now, it chills the cabin within a couple of minutes. Its amazing how much dust is there inside the AC blower pipes and outside the cooling coils.

Btw, there was no rat, but a dead cockroach was there, and the smell is gone. Hopefully they have put together all the pieces in order.
sumannandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 21:19   #98
BHPian

Alternator gave up. Replacing the rectifier, bearing etc. Total cost rs. 7kish plus 20% handling charge.

Thermostat valve was also acting up and they are setting it right (will replace if necessary). The valve costs around Rs. 650.

Oil change is also due. So overall damage around Rs. 10k.
Old 23rd March 2013, 07:38   #99
BHPian

The odo reads 1,23,000 kms. Recently got the the center arm link replaced at a local garage. Spare from Dalbrouse(?) cost around Rs. 2600, equivalent Rene is also available for around Rs. 2400 but my mechanic discouraged to take it.

Need replacement of seals of the power steering box.

Otherwise going good. With my A Star, the safari is not being used a lot.

Body and paint is still holding great. The car is on its original paint.

Last edited by sumannandy : 23rd March 2013 at 07:40.
Old 23rd March 2013, 07:42   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its amazing how much dust is there inside the AC blower pipes and outside the cooling coils.
hi - do you not use the re-circulation mode ?

btw, my Delphi compressor is leaking :(
Old 23rd March 2013, 20:47   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
hi - do you not use the re-circulation mode ?

btw, my Delphi compressor is leaking :(
The re-circulation does not work. Outside air still comes in.

I also need to get the AC checked. The car is getting heated unusually when the AC is on, not sure why.
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
The odo reads 1,23,000 kms. Recently got the the center arm link replaced at a local garage. Spare from Dalbrouse(?).
By the way its not Dalbrouse but TALBROS. This company makes suspension components for various other vehicles also.
Old 24th March 2013, 21:22   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK1 View Post
By the way its not Dalbrouse but TALBROS. This company makes suspension components for various other vehicles also.
Thanks for correcting. These days I get the work done in outside workshop. But the workshop owner worked in TATA workshop for 13 years or so and understands specially old gen cars. He insists on getting the original equipment, and sometimes if it is not available outside he gets it from the TATA Motors ASS.

Last edited by sumannandy : 24th March 2013 at 21:23.
Old 3rd April 2013, 00:30   #104
BHPian

Hi Suman,

Kudos to your commitment towards your ride. I also own a Safari Dicor - LX - 2008. Out of extended warranty for a while now and was wondering if you could help me with the details of this mechanic who caters to your truck . Cannot PM you as I am still in Newbie status on the forum. Any help is appreciated.
Old 16th June 2013, 23:17   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Vader View Post
Hi Suman,

Kudos to your commitment towards your ride. I also own a Safari Dicor - LX - 2008. Out of extended warranty for a while now and was wondering if you could help me with the details of this mechanic who caters to your truck . Cannot PM you as I am still in Newbie status on the forum. Any help is appreciated.
The mechanic is in HBR layout. Sorry did not check your post. Please call me at 9036062426 and I will guide you.

Got the power steering gearbox overhauled at TASS. Total cost 5500. But there is too much of play in the steering. Also there is a hiss sound wile turning the steering which was never there earlier. Also got the AC gas refilled.

There is also some random sound coming from the back, need to get that checked. TASS checked the vehicle and confirmed all good, so wonder from where the sound is coming.

Last edited by sumannandy : 16th June 2013 at 23:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks