Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 15:25   #31
BANNED

Tata is known for its diesel engines .And if maintained properly they do work well .
I have travelled in one tavera with 4.5 Lakh kms on it 99% highways with no engine work .It was a taxi .
Old 5th January 2010, 15:52   #32
BHPian

few questions.
1. Do we have enough long term reports of any taxi/cab - may be Logan, Tavera, Indica, Qualis, Innova?
2. Is there way to for passenger/driver to validate the ODO is correct and owner/driver is giving incorrect info?
3. How many drivers we have who have driven cars more than 2 lac Kms on same car?
Old 5th January 2010, 16:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this is some running!

It proves, any car if maintained well, will run & run & run....
Old 5th January 2010, 17:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
I think the odo in Indica resets to 0 once it crosses 99999kms mark. So is there a way to make out how many times it has crossed the 0 mark ? I am asking out of curiosity.

Edit: I have driven an Ikon 1.8D that has done more than 230000kms on ODO without rebuild. But the ODO showed only 33XXX kms on the ODO. Hence the question.
That's a good point if Indica Tachometer has only 5 digits. But i guess it should be 6 digit , any indica owner confirm this please.

Last edited by akas_chauhan : 5th January 2010 at 17:21.
Old 5th January 2010, 21:09   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Tata is known for its diesel engines .And if maintained properly they do work well .
I have travelled in one tavera with 4.5 Lakh kms on it 99% highways with no engine work .It was a taxi .
The question is not whether diesels can do 4 lakh + kms. Yes, we all know that Merc/Toyota/Isuzu etc can do this mileage if maintained properly. If I recall correctly Tavera offers a 3Lakh km warranty on the engine. No point comparing this with the Tata Engine. Tata is not exacly known for the longevity of their
Old 5th January 2010, 21:51   #36
BHPian

I am amazed at the mileage on this car. Not debating the truth in the same.

OT. In Germany, it is quite easy to find Merc taxis that have done more than 4 laks without opening the engine. Once when going to Munich airport, I had hired a taxi, a W124 combi, which had clocked 476,000 odd kms. It was driven by the owner himself, and he told me that he had to change the auto gerbox once at around 200,000, but the engine still remains untouched. The car drove smoothly and we reached on time for my flight. Amazing engineering by Benz.

If a Tata car can do the same, its all the more great. Can anyone confirm the number of digits on the Indica Odo?
Old 6th January 2010, 17:31   #37
BHPian

My brother in law owns a workshop and I have seen some Tata Ace's that come for Tire Alignment and changing. Many of these small diesel commercial vehicles have done more than 1.5 lakh without an overhaul. Commercial vehicles achieve this in a very short period of time. I have seen atleast 3 such Tata Aces, with higher mileages without engine job. Call it luck or done in short period of time and therefore they run long, or good maintenance; whatever it is. My belief is if you keep it good, it will serve good.
Old 8th January 2010, 11:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
That's a good point if Indica Tachometer has only 5 digits. But i guess it should be 6 digit , any indica owner confirm this please.
Indica has only 5 digit odo it means from 99999 it goes to 1
And i confirmed from my drivers and they all say its impossible
Old 8th January 2010, 12:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
When I took reading around 4 lac+, I was shocked. I cheked it twice & asked driver, are you sure you have more than 4 lac on meter? He said YES with big smile and so we started the discussion.
If it has only 5 digits, then how did this happen ? I am totally confused. mrkanitkar ji. Can you explain ?
Old 8th January 2010, 12:14   #40
BHPian

A friend of mine had an Indica that he ran as a tourist vehicle. The car had crossed 500000 kms when he sold it off. It went through 3 engine rebuilds though.
Old 11th January 2010, 18:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Indica V2 has 6 digits Odo and my car odo is on 110000.
Old 11th January 2010, 20:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Indica has 6 digits ODO(old one with manual meters), My car has clocked 1,30000kms and the meter is clearly showing 1,30000kms.
Old 12th January 2010, 02:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

I don't know what others think, but to me it seems that a diesel engine is usually much more robust (by that I mean, it's construction) than a gasoline engine and last longer between engine builds.

Tata's 407 comes with a 300,000km warranty (atleast it used to) and it had the same 3.0 litre used later in the Safari. Also, I know of 407's having lasted for close to 500,000 kilometres before requiring any engine work. That includes head-gaskets, valve seals, piston rings etc.

That being said, the Indica engine was actually derived from the 1.9 (was it 1968cc?) litre engine from the Tata Sierra/Tata Sumo days and that it had solid and reliable engineering behind it. I remember reading a report in Overdrive about a Sumo in a Pune farmhouse (this was from the days when Adil was the editor) with 400,000 kms without any engine work.

Whether this car actually ran for 410,000 kms without needing any engine work cannot be confirmed but it may be possible (and very rare).
Old 12th January 2010, 06:44   #44
BHPian

Wow, thats a lot mileage. If the driver says that the car has looked after very well and all services are done correctly, then it could well be true. Diesel engines are known for their longevity and TATA's have some expertise in it.

Since this is a Taxi cab, its probably seen more of the highway than the city roads and this probably has helped the engine last for such a long time.
Old 12th January 2010, 13:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Manikjeet, you have mentioned in one of the previous posts that you have owned more than half dozen Indicas, still seems that you have got the facts wrong. I have 2002 Indica and it is having 6 digits.

Person who had started this thread clearly mentioned that He doesn't own Indica and what He heard is what He mentioned in the post. However, reading numerous posts(including yours) it seems we are trying to pull him down.

Most Viewed