Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 17:34   #511
BHPian

re: V6 Power - My Accord. EDIT - New Pics Pg. 37!

Hi akshay

i just wanted to ask you for how much u got the K&N typhoon kit for, including the hoses for the complete CAI. i am being quoted 20k for the same.

thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 12:52   #512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiorano88 View Post
Hi akshay

i just wanted to ask you for how much u got the K&N typhoon kit for, including the hoses for the complete CAI. i am being quoted 20k for the same.

thanks
Bought it for $220 in the US. Great deal.
Old 9th October 2011, 13:56   #513
dot
Senior - BHPian

I always wanted a lazy sunday afternoon to read the entire thread from post no 1, the opportunity which I got today, after months of waiting. But it was worth the wait. What an ownership review of what a car. I totally agree that the older gen Accord looks far more meaner/nicer than the current gen. My only wish is that you had posted more photoshoot stuff.

One question on the vtec engine. The V6 not ivtec, so it means that the vtec point should be always around 5000 rpm. Do you observe any change in engine note when vtec kicks in? Is there a surge in power when vtec kicks in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The Koni's have made the handling so much better, it feels as chuckable as a Civic now.
Interesting point. This means stock Civic is more chuckable than a stock Accord?

Quote:
My guess is I'll have this car for another year, and then find a new pre-owned diesel. You wanna buy it then?
Another interesting point.
Old 9th October 2011, 14:51   #514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I always wanted a lazy sunday afternoon to read the entire thread from post no 1, the opportunity which I got today, after months of waiting. But it was worth the wait. What an ownership review of what a car. I totally agree that the older gen Accord looks far more meaner/nicer than the current gen. My only wish is that you had posted more photoshoot stuff.

One question on the vtec engine. The V6 not ivtec, so it means that the vtec point should be always around 5000 rpm. Do you observe any change in engine note when vtec kicks in? Is there a surge in power when vtec kicks in.

Interesting point. This means stock Civic is more chuckable than a stock Accord?
Thank you dot for reading through the full thing. The car really is brilliant which is why even though my father asked me to sell it I said no way, and we are keeping it for a year more at least if not a year and a half more.

Yes the Vtec kicks in around 4500rpm (proper vtec BTW not your i-vtec ) the sound of the k&n changes and becomes a scream from a growl. The tachometer just rushes towards the 7000rpm redline, and the speedometer, in 1st the way it moves from 55-70 and in 2nd from 90-115. It seems like its still going to hit full power but then the revv limiter cuts in.

The stock Civic certainly does have better handling than the Accord.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 13:10   #515
Team-BHP Support

20,000 kms

So the car is just about to hit 20k kms. Its been with me for just over 13,000 of them. Its been about 1 year and 10 months, and as you can see the usage is not that much. But boy does this car manage to put a smile on my face everytime I drive it. Even after getting the BMW there are times when I just like to take this car out. I can be more carefree with this car. Also the music system is awesome, the petrol engine is brilliant, its q-u-i-c-k, and the ride is pretty good compared to the Bimmer.

Its given me no problems as such in the time I've owned it. Only now I think one of the engine mounts is giving up and I plan on getting that changed next time I send it in to the service centre. Also will probably get the engine oil changed as I do that every 10 months or so. I will also probably change the plugs and do the other routine maintenance.

The K&N typhoon is also back to the Cold Air Intake position just behind the bumper and I can feel a solid increase in torque now. The rubber band effect of the auto box is reduced a hell of a lot now. The sound too is just brilliant. I've had many-many people who own much more expensive and better cars tell me how good it sounds. And everyone thinks I'm messing with them when I say its just an air filter.

This car impresses me no end with its acceleration and handling nowadays.

This car isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I'm gonna hang on to it for a while. I've just put it too much effort to do it up to sell it or anything.

P.S - Its probably getting an RD ecu soon A friend of mine is giving me his which he had on the same car. Keep reading the thread for updates.
Old 17th November 2011, 20:21   #516
Team-BHP Support

Well the V6 has been a slight bit neglected after the Bimmer came home. But I've still been using it though babying it around less. So its time for some TLC for the V6. I'm sending it to Arya Honda this saturday to get one of the engine mounts changed, which I had been told would last a short while but now I can make out its gone. There is some minor noise from the front while going over bumps, and also while accelerating the car is a bit more jumpy with less traction, all that can be attributed to the engine mount I guess. I'm also going to pick up the Shell 5w40 from City motors since I change the oil once every 10 months. The car is revved so much that I think its fair to change all these things a bit early to keep it in top shape. I'll also get the spark plugs checked up since its been almost 2 years since they were replaced, and throttle body cleaning - I know what k&n claims but I want to be sure no dirt gets in and whatevers there is cleaned.

Any other suggestions?

And after this I intend on calling Kamyo home one of these days and getting the Accord, the 3 and the Punto detailed from the outside. The earlier carwasher I had totally screwed up the earlier detailing job I had done on the car. The Innova there is no point in detailing since it will be replaced very soon by probably a Laura tsi or something.
Old 17th November 2011, 20:37   #517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well the V6 has been a slight bit neglected after the Bimmer came home. But I've still been using it though babying it around less. So its time for some TLC for the V6. I'm sending it to Arya Honda this saturday to get one of the engine mounts changed, which I had been told would last a short while but now I can make out its gone. There is some minor noise from the front while going over bumps, and also while accelerating the car is a bit more jumpy with less traction, all that can be attributed to the engine mount I guess. I'm also going to pick up the Shell 5w40 from City motors since I change the oil once every 10 months. The car is revved so much that I think its fair to change all these things a bit early to keep it in top shape. I'll also get the spark plugs checked up since its been almost 2 years since they were replaced, and throttle body cleaning - I know what k&n claims but I want to be sure no dirt gets in and whatevers there is cleaned.

Any other suggestions?

And after this I intend on calling Kamyo home one of these days and getting the Accord, the 3 and the Punto detailed from the outside. The earlier carwasher I had totally screwed up the earlier detailing job I had done on the car. The Innova there is no point in detailing since it will be replaced very soon by probably a Laura tsi or something.
Akshay,

Why don't you spice up your ride a little with some discreet touches? Red painted brake-calipers would lift the looks and even enhance your alloys.

V6 Power - My Honda Accord. EDIT - New Pics on page 37!-fkdl.jpg

And how about sourcing these lovely badges. Your Accord is very tastefully done and quite classy. These 'classic' and 'retro' badges/emblems should give it some character.

I've seen a very similar badge on a modded white Honda City in Bangalore. It looks great!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th November 2011 at 20:43.
Old 17th November 2011, 22:36   #518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

And how about sourcing these lovely badges. Your Accord is very tastefully done and quite classy. These 'classic' and 'retro' badges/emblems should give it some character.

I've seen a very similar badge on a modded white Honda City in Bangalore. It looks great!
Those badges aren't my style. Infact I quite like it as it is, but if anything I might just debadge it by taking off the 3.0 V6 Vtec badge.
Old 17th November 2011, 22:57   #519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tbut if anything I might just debadge it by taking off the 3.0 V6 Vtec badge.
That gets my vote & will be wicked and a sleeper.
Old 17th November 2011, 23:03   #520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That gets my vote & will be wicked and a sleeper.
Except for the 2 exhausts popping out?

On a more serious note its surprising what a difference a worn engine mount can make to the overall driving experience of the car. Ill report back here after its been changed.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 15:10   #521
Team-BHP Support

So I got the car back from service, and boy is it fun to drive or what. Here is what all was done -
Change oil to Mobil1 0w40 (there was no Shell oil available)
Oil filter changed
Changed the main engine mount
Got the brakes cleaned and bled
Suspension retorqued
Throttle body and injectors cleaned

And the car has gone back to being very, very smooth and silent. The BMW sounds like the truck now, even from inside. And with the engine mount change the car has become much more responsive, no lag when I floor the throttle and better traction when I floor it too. Also the way the car is pulling now is just brilliant. Infact after getting this car from service I've only taken the BMW out once this week. That says it all.
Old 26th November 2011, 21:05   #522
BHPian

Quote:
So I got the car back from service, and boy is it fun to drive or what. Here is what all was done -
Change oil to Mobil1 0w40 (there was no Shell oil available)
Oil filter changed
Changed the main engine mount
Got the brakes cleaned and bled
Suspension retorqued
Throttle body and injectors cleaned

And the car has gone back to being very, very smooth and silent. The BMW sounds like the truck now, even from inside. And with the engine mount change the car has become much more responsive, no lag when I floor the throttle and better traction when I floor it too. Also the way the car is pulling now is just brilliant. Infact after getting this car from service I've only taken the BMW out once this week. That says it all.
so its accord over bmw???
Old 26th November 2011, 23:10   #523
BHPian

Why Dont you try out removing the cat con and replacing it with simple pipe and keep the rest of the exhaust stock.
This will give you some noticeable gains but wont hamper the noise factor much.

Also the Spark plugs used in Civic and accord are irridiums from factory itself and honda recommends changing them at 1lac kms, so its only advisable to clean them and not to replace at such short interval.
Replacement cost for 6plugs should be around 6-7k + labour.
Old 27th November 2011, 14:24   #524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
so its accord over bmw???
Well no. Depends on the time and the place I'm going to, and also my mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Why Dont you try out removing the cat con and replacing it with simple pipe and keep the rest of the exhaust stock.
This will give you some noticeable gains but wont hamper the noise factor much.

Also the Spark plugs used in Civic and accord are irridiums from factory itself and honda recommends changing them at 1lac kms, so its only advisable to clean them and not to replace at such short interval.
Replacement cost for 6plugs should be around 6-7k + labour.
I'm not touching this car now. For me its just fine as it is. Though of course I may just do something if I suddenly get the urge to. But right now the next thing on my list is to get the Bimmer tuned.

The spark plugs don't cost 6-7k. And I think I had got them changed just a few days after I got my car and don't think it was that much.
Old 27th November 2011, 23:15   #525
BHPian

@akshay

are you sure regarding the spark plug cost ? cause civic has irridiums and saw replacement cost for the set and it was around 4k so considering 2 more cylinders you accord has i guessed the price.

Could you tell me if the accord V6 has irridium plugs or standard copper ones?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks