Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 14:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Does the 1.3 Petrol engine need 4.5 liters of oil ? (The 1.4 diesel is said to take 3.8 litres only).
yes, it is 4.5 litres.
Searched the net and confirmed it again.
Though will check all my previous service bills and confirm again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
um.. doenst the fuel filter cost about 150Rs? . and, whats Fuel Filter Assembly?. Why did you need to change it?
Dhanush, even I was wondering about this amount after I wrote the post and checked Benny's record. Also checked on car wale (a member had given the detailed account). The price for fuel filter was 140/-.
I don't know why they have charged Rs. 445/- and for what.
Will ask them and verify.

Quote:
My IKON needs 4.3 Liters of oil every time. So I guess the A.S.S should have rounded the figure.
May be,even this needs to be confirmed.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 15th February 2011 at 14:48.
Old 21st March 2011, 21:46   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
The price for fuel filter was 140/-.
I don't know why they have charged Rs. 445/- and for what.
Will ask them and verify.
Sorry for not updating, but I confirmed this and they told they have introduced a new part with new part number , hence the change in price. Will check at the next service.

In the meantime, after the service I noticed there has been quite a improvement in the performance of the car.They have done quite a good job during the service. The car has become absolute silence, acceleration has improved, and it feels like the car is more than eager to get to 120kmph. Having fun with it on the curves is now even more exciting.Rode it on the PVNR expressway to airport and pushed through the curves without braking ,and I loved it.

NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS.
Went to the Nampally Station to drop my BIL, yesterday on 20th March. My car was properly parked in the parking. As I returned, open the door of the car and sat, I hear a loud thud and kRRR...!!! I turned back and see that a Tavera has reversed back into my car. Got down, locked the car to see the damage. It was not much, there's a scratch on the bumper and the boot door
But got on the offensive with the Tavera driver. Typical one with sunglasses on the head and earplugs in the ear.
Took his key's out of the ignition but he was sorry for what he did. And after some argument I let him go. While we both were waiting at the parking exit, I looked at him and said,"police complaint daalta hun , ruk!!" and he again pleaded, "galti hogayee, sorry bol to diya, tumse nahi hoti kya galtee".
And then I drove off. He was behind me till the Masab tank flyover signal, turning right to Rd. No 1, after that he just took off and the way he drove, can't say what's coming next at him
The tavera no was AP29 BA 6779.
here's pic of the damage. The bumper has misaligned from the left side, it seems.
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_2479.jpg
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_2480.jpg
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_2481.jpg
The worst thing is that the crash guard of the Tavera at rear ,tore off my TBHP sticker.
The odo now is at 17290kms.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 21st March 2011 at 21:47.
Old 23rd March 2011, 13:05   #93
Team-BHP Support

These kind of nicks and scratches are common for cars running in the cities. Shrug your shoulder and move on.

My car looks like a war veteran of you see the scars it carries now!
Old 29th March 2011, 15:49   #94
Senior - BHPian

Whacked it till 160+ on the speedo

Hi guys,
I have been itching to update about the drive I had during the "Hyd TBHP Drive meet" on sunday, 27th march 2011.

The car is completely stock with even the tyres being stock 13 inchers goodyear and I have no reason to complain. The goodyears have good road grip and I didn't feel loss of grip at any instance except one where, the road was a little bumpy on the joints and had uneven elevation. But I held the steering straight and it was firmly back on the road. The tyres have provided me with good wet road grip too, and there's not a instance when the tyres squeaked,screeched or skidded. But I know, a better upsized tyres would do wonders to the already famed handling of the car.

I am planning to add a good airfilters like K&N or BMC. I am hoping it would improve the performance a bit. Also, is there anyways to help improve the torque in the 2nd gear?
Attachment 525138
Here are some pics of my Ikon taken by fellow members on the Drive meet. Thanks to them, for sharing the pic.
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-dsc_70621.jpg
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_0675.jpg
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_0672.jpg
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-dsc_70531.jpg
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_0663.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
These kind of nicks and scratches are common for cars running in the cities. Shrug your shoulder and move on.
My car looks like a war veteran of you see the scars it carries now!
Yeah Ben!! got over with it, anyways the damage wasn't much. My car also now has too many small scratches.

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2011 at 14:57. Reason: Best to avoid posting on breaking speed limits. Thanks
Old 5th April 2011, 22:53   #95
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE : Titupati Trip

This weekend added another 1230 kms on the odometer. Saturday on 2nd april started early morning for Tirupati. Sunday morning on 3rd april, went for darshan and started back fot hyderabad at around 1:30p.m.
Car has been very disciplined in it's manner.
On way back , the rear left tyre got punctured. I must be at around 80kmph, when suddenly a "dhar dhar dhar dhar.." sound started. The road was a little rough,so i commented to my wife that the noise from tyres sound like a stengun,little did I realise that the tyre must have got punctured and then it dawned on me. Stopped the car to check what it is and there it was, the tyre was gone.
Here's what the tyres looked like.severely cut at two places.
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_2512.jpg
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_2513.jpg
The amazing thing was that there was no effect on the steering, no pulling left or right, it was keep straight and frankly I was mighty impressed with this behaviour. Steadiest car in it's range probably.
Mine is a stock tube type tyre, and I was driving on single lane state highway. I would have been down in the fields if at all the car would have behaved erratically.
Thank god for perfect steering control.
So now it's time to get a new tyre. This was the third puncture in around 19K kms.
Looks like, the alloys and new tyres would have to wait.
The odo now is at 18880 kms

cheers to Ford. Already getting hooked to the new fiesta
Old 6th April 2011, 00:23   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: UPDATE : Titupati Trip

Quote:
The amazing thing was that there was no effect on the steering, no pulling left or right, it was keep straight and frankly I was mighty impressed with this behaviour. Steadiest car in it's range probably.
Well, its because the rear tyre got punctured. Its sometimes hard to notice when the rear is punctured.

At speeds though, you will be taken aback by the surprising amount of oversteer - In this case, while steering right.

But then yes - Ford Rocks!.
Old 8th April 2011, 14:33   #97
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE:
Finally, went and purchased a single new tyre replacing the damaged tyre.
Went ahead with Goodyear GPS 2 tube type for the uniformity(i know this doesn't matter much but still).

It cost me Rs. 3315/- along with tube, fitting and 2% extra on credit card. But service was quick, hardly took them 15 minutes to execute the transaction and replace the tyre on the rim.

Quote:
Well, its because the rear tyre got punctured. Its sometimes hard to notice when the rear is punctured.
At speeds though, you will be taken aback by the surprising amount of oversteer - In this case, while steering right.
Dhanush, this has been the third puncture overall and 1st time that the rear left got punctured. May be coz I was driving on straight road that I didn't feel the oversteer or pulling to any side.
When the rear right got punctured, I felt the steering getting hard to maneouvre but that was in the city and at low speeds, plus there were passengers on the rear seat as well.
Old 8th April 2011, 14:46   #98
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:
Finally, went and purchased a single new tyre replacing the damaged tyre.
Went ahead with Goodyear GPS 2 tube type for the uniformity(i know this doesn't matter much but still).

It cost me Rs. 3315/- along with tube, fitting and 2% extra on credit card. But service was quick, hardly took them 15 minutes to execute the transaction and replace the tyre on the rim.
Is INR 3315.00 the listed price or the negotiated one? My 8.3 year old Ikon is still on Stock tyres.

Need to get a replacement for them finally. One tough car this is. I can't part with it, even I don't use it very often any more.
Old 8th April 2011, 14:56   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Is INR 3315.00 the listed price or the negotiated one? My 8.3 year old Ikon is still on Stock tyres.
Need to get a replacement for them finally. One tough car this is. I can't part with it, even I don't use it very often any more.
8.3 years and your Ikon is still on stock tyres. How much has it run ?

Here is the break up of the tyre cost.
Cost of tyre(including tube) : 3200
Fitting charges : 50
2% CC charge on 3250 : 65
TOTAL :3315

Yours is a 1.6, which would have 14" wheels. Flair has 13" inch wheels. So, there might be a slight price difference.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 8th April 2011 at 14:59.
Old 8th April 2011, 15:04   #100
BHPian

Quote:
8.3 years and your Ikon is still on stock tyres. How much has it run ?

Here is the break up of the tyre cost.
Cost of tyre(including tube) : 3200
Fitting charges : 50
2% CC charge on 3250 : 65
TOTAL :3315

Yours is a 1.6, which would have 14" wheels. Flair has 13" inch wheels. So, there might be a slight price difference.
Has clocked 57K Kms. Lost one recently on account of a cut caused by a sharp nail on the road.

Have not purchased any tyres for a long time now, so am ignorant of the pricing. (Rather embarassed on that account). There would definitely be a difference in the pricing between Flair and 1.6, but this would give me a reference point. Thanks for the help.
Old 7th June 2011, 23:10   #101
Senior - BHPian

20,000km up finally today!!

It's been 2 years 4 months and 5 day today.
Finally achieved a landmark of sorts today. The odo on the car crossed 20k kms mark today while returning back home from office. I would have loved to get here on the highway, but nevertheless. In anticipation of this, I had been preparing a write up but looks like it's on my office system and I can't wait for tomorrow morning

Here are some pics.
Looking good from the staircase
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-imag0203.jpg
My shining star(in front of office parking)
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-imag0204.jpg
My Formula 1 car wax looks to be working good. I have only recently started using it regularly and now there's a ever present gloss and shine on the car
The landmarks
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-imag0206.jpg
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-imag0210.jpg
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-imag0211.jpg

I am also attaching a excel table in which I tracked my Fuel cost, quantity and Fuel Efficiency of the car. Started this exercise very late and have data only for the last 7600 kms. But it would give a fair idea atleast.
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-ikon-fuel-average.jpg

The details of the service cost, Insurance, accessories, etc will follow, but would like to state that have not spent a single rupee extra on the maintenance apart from the regular service cost.
Yes, had to pay for some fuses as the sunfilm installer messed up the rear windshield sunfilm install, which led to shorting of the rear windshield mounted brake light.

But so far so good, have been very happy with the car for it goes about it chores without fussing and at the same time gives me the joy of driving.
Ah!! and not to forget the adrenaline rush at high speed curves and cornering is to die for.

EDIT: 100th reply on the thread!

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 7th June 2011 at 23:12.
Old 8th June 2011, 08:11   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sugeeta : My 8.3 year old Ikon is still on Stock tyres.
Sugeeta : Has clocked 57K Kms.
Pls change asap. 8 yrs is a long time, the rubber would have already degraded & aged.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:27   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Pls change asap. 8 yrs is a long time, the rubber would have already degraded & aged.
@condor; thanks for the concern.

Car has not run too much over the last 2 years. Planning to sell it as the new Fiesta is expected by mid - end July.
Old 10th June 2011, 09:08   #104
BHPian

Quote:
It's been 2 years 4 months and 5 day today.
Finally achieved a landmark of sorts today. The odo on the car crossed 20k kms mark today
Congratulations Manish! But it seems you've done less mileage this year?

Quote:
My Formula 1 car wax looks to be working good. I have only recently started using it regularly and now there's a ever present gloss and shine on the car
Should I start using that? My car still has the shine from the first Waxoyl job done in 2004. Many little scratches here and there, was thinking of getting a complete detailing done, what do you think?

Quote:
I am also attaching a excel table in which I tracked my Fuel cost,
Those 16+ figures are good! City results seem to be on par with my 1.6.

Quote:
But so far so good, have been very happy with the car ...gives me the joy of driving. ..
Ah!! and not to forget the adrenaline rush at high speed curves and cornering is to die for.
I can understand your feelings! Nothing can beat the Ikon for pleasure! Or perhaps no other car gets under your skin like this one. I've still got my lovely, and am using her on alternate days. Family has a strong preference for the Ikon when we go out together as the Ikon's rear seat is way better than the Fiesta's. Daughter-in-law has a Ikon TDCi too.

In cornering though, it's the S that's in a class by itself. Oof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
@condor; thanks for the concern.
Car has not run too much over the last 2 years. Planning to sell it as the new Fiesta is expected by mid - end July.
Hi Sugeeta, 8 years is a long time, you must have grown attached to the Ikon! Guess you'll be among the first to have the new Fiesta. Selling the Ikon or your Fiesta?

Just saw your list of cars, man, that's a great list! Used to drive my Mom's 4 door Herald way back in 1975!

Last edited by Damu : 10th June 2011 at 09:12. Reason: Added a line
Old 10th June 2011, 10:16   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Congratulations Manish! But it seems you've done less mileage this year?
Yup, this year has been poor as of now. Hope I can make amends before the year ends.
But the low mileage is actually a carry over from the 1st year, when I did only some 4700kms odd. 2nd year did around 12000 Kms. This year 10K kms look tough, though after the 4th servicing in February have completed around 3200 kms till now.

Quote:
Should I start using that? My car still has the shine from the first Waxoyl job done in 2004. Many little scratches here and there, was thinking of getting a complete detailing done, what do you think?
Oh!I think you should must give it a try once. My car got teflon coated after delivery by the dealer, but still slowly that new car shine was gone. Now it is better after using the Formula 1 wax. You should try it on your Ikon, you might as well can see your grin on the bonnet after the wax

Quote:
Those 16+ figures are good! City results seem to be on par with my 1.6.
Yup, if driven sanely around 100-120kmph, I can do hyd-blr point-to-point with less than a tankful. For some short distance I have even got around 17.5 but it got evened out.

Quote:
I've still got my lovely, and am using her on alternate days. Family has a strong preference for the Ikon when we go out together as the Ikon's rear seat is way better than the Fiesta's. Daughter-in-law has a Ikon TDCi too.
Ah!! Ford Family !! hehe!! Good to see all Ford cars in your garage. Your Ikon was on sale, saw it in the classifieds. Didn't sell it off yet ?

Quote:
In cornering though, it's the S that's in a class by itself. Oof!
have not experienced the S till now. I envy you!! hehe!!

Quote:
Hi Sugeeta, 8 years is a long time, you must have grown attached to the Ikon! Guess you'll be among the first to have the new Fiesta. Selling the Ikon or your Fiesta?
I think she would be selling the Ikon, the Ikon's not used much plus there's no point selling a diesel TDCi in these days of high petrol cost.

P.S: This is a note of appreciation for our Mod, who updated the thread title. Thank you!!

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 10th June 2011 at 10:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks