Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 13:58   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Any reason why you stopped it?
Nothing specific about it.I mostly like to add system G just before the start of a long trip, where in the car is running for long, due to which system G gets enough time to work on the cleaning.
And the engines sound a little rough for sometime after adding it.
I think it's time now to add it again. Leaving day after tomorrow on a long trip.

UPDATE :
Got the car checked up on 18th December at the free winter check up camp organised by Fortune ford. So went in, got the battery, fluids, brakes and clutch checked, everything is fine.
They also checked the underbody and sprayed the "Rust off" spray on all the four wheels from inside on the joints.
And finally , the Free Wash
Total bill amount : 0.00/-

UPDATE ON THE CABIN LIGHT ISSUE MENTIONED IN THE LAST POST
The light was ordered for during the free check up as they had grey colored cabin light and mine was beige. It reached the service centre this saturday on 25th December, went there,got it fixed, signed on a bill for Rs. 675/- but paid only Rs. 350/- happy again.
Got two tissue boxes too from them.
Happy with the service so far .

EDIT : Odo is at 14495kms.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 27th December 2010 at 13:59.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:11   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Back from the Ooty trip-

The car is back from a thrilling Ooty trip. The journey onward was relaxed and paced and I clocked a max mileage of 16.7kmpl while going.

While returning, it was a arduous and continuous drive from 9a.m on 4th jan 2011, starting from ooty till 4 a.m on 5th Jan 2011 ending at hyderabad.

Clocked a maximum mileage of 17.7kmpl during the return journey from blr(devanahalli) till hyderabad(my place), may be due to cold weather and continuous drive at around 90-100kmph between 2200-2500 rpm in 5th gear.
The car is good to cruise at 120kmph on 5th gear at 3000 rpm.
At 1500 rpm and above the effect of a/c on the pick up and acceleration of the car is minimal. And if you keep it above 2000 rpm, there is no stopping the car.Only when you slow down till around 1000 rpm, the effect shows.
Slowly the appreciation and love for the car is getting deeper and deeper .
Started at 14600km on the odo and added 1810 kms to it.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:24   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Back from the Ooty trip-

I see that you had a thrilling and fun filled trip. Ooty, is one of those places you never get tired of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
While returning, it was a arduous and continuous drive from 9a.m on 4th jan 2011, starting from ooty till 4 a.m on 5th Jan 2011 ending at hyderabad.
Also, please try to avoid driving continuously for long stretches, and especially after 2AM. You may dose off unknowingly. Its very risky.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:37   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I see that you had a thrilling and fun filled trip. Ooty, is one of those places you never get tired of.
Also, please try to avoid driving continuously for long stretches, and especially after 2AM. You may dose off unknowingly. Its very risky.
Thanks for the concern Dhanush. I know it's risky to drive so long at a stretch but me and my brother were continously talking to avoid sleepiness. We also took breaks for tea, etc and stretched out to be more alert and awake. And I was tagging behind our hired Innova at a safe distance which was driven by a careful driver.
So we were taking all precautions. We just couldn't avoid the night drive and trust me blr-hyd roads are very good.
And , yes Ooty is a nice place. This was my third trip to Ooty and still I feel there's a lot to see.
Old 8th January 2011, 23:52   #80
BHPian

Did you visit Gopala swami Betta on the way to Ooty?

Post some pics too.

And ya very nicely maintained Ikon you have .

Regards,
Krishna Thanthri
Old 9th January 2011, 12:20   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
Did you visit Gopala swami Betta on the way to Ooty?
Post some pics too.
And ya very nicely maintained Ikon you have .

Regards,
Krishna Thanthri
Thanks Krishna!!
We didn't visit GSbetta on way but while coming back we went there. Nice place. Temple darshan was also quick. sad about the road to top there and more so when they charged 50 bucks for entry. But a very nice place indeed, looks like a trekker's paradise on a nice day.We went on a sunny day.

And compliments for your hotel. nice place, free wifi was super cool. Very nice rooms.
EDIT: and yes compliments for your gypsy too. I was all eyes for those geolanders. Next time, will take a ride in your gypsy.
Nice meeting you in person. sorry that could not touch base while returning, but was in a hurry.:(

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 9th January 2011 at 12:24.
Old 17th January 2011, 03:27   #82

Have been a regular user of System G for my Ikon Flair, since its purchase till date... my boy has cloaked 1L kms a day back. It is becoming a rarity in certain cities and it is better to stock it up.

You need to alternate between 8-10 tankfills of normal fuel with System G to a Speed / Premium fuel to avoid deposit formations and better run-ins.

The above practices has aided to keep my engine in its good condition and optimum performance till date... 1L and still going great.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:47   #83
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need a opinion here.
My car has gone for 2years/40K Kms service today, and as per manual the service people called for changing Coolant, Brake oil, Spark plug alongwith the regular engine oil and other stuff.
My car has done 16832 km as of today.
I strictly told them not to change the Spark plug. For Coolant, I have told them to top-up if there is a need for it.
But for Brake oil replacement, i have asked them to check and replace, if only required.
Do you think , brake oil replacement is necessary at this mileage ?
Please advise, will instruct the service centre accordingly.
Old 14th February 2011, 13:56   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My car has gone for 2years/40K Kms service today, and as per manual the service people called for changing Coolant, Brake oil, Spark plug alongwith the regular engine oil and other stuff.
I strictly told them not to change the Spark plug. For Coolant, I have told them to top-up if there is a need for it.
But for Brake oil replacement, i have asked them to check and replace, if only required.
Here are the tasks carried out on my car at the dealer, when my car was due for 40,000kms service.

Link
Old 14th February 2011, 14:21   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Those are just preventive maintenance procedures. No need for changing any of those, except Engine Oil, which looses its viscosity and stickiness over a period of time.

However, I would suggest you to change the brake oil in the next(2.5 yrs, 50k) periodic service. and a complete coolant change, spark plug change in the 3 yrs/60k service.
Old 14th February 2011, 15:34   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Here are the tasks carried out on my car at the dealer, when my car was due for 40,000kms service.
Following is the breakup of the service costs :

Fuel Filter : 139.52
Mesh Filter : 120.31
Wash fluid pouch : 49.89
Oil filter : 81.75
Element aircleaner : 267.46
Brake pads : 1442.52
Distilled water : 5.62
Spark Plugs : 4 * 68.72
Engine Oil : 736.00
Clip (?) : 6 * 3.84

Labour :

Service : 916.80
Brake System bleed : 183.36
Brake pads remove & install : 213.92
Spark plugs remove & install : 61.12
Consumables : 175.00

Total on Labour : 1550.20
Total on Parts : 3140.99
Total including tax : 5243.00
Thanks Ben, Copying from your link. Looks like you had to pay without reason for the spark plug, but why did you replace your brake pads? How much Kms was on the odo at the time of service?
Looking at your bill amount and removing the items in bold, I should be looking at a bill of probably 3.5K.
As of now I have no issues with the car, except for some humming noise from probably under the dash.
My wheel Alignment and balancing is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Those are just preventive maintenance procedures. No need for changing any of those, except Engine Oil, which looses its viscosity and stickiness over a period of time.

However, I would suggest you to change the brake oil in the next(2.5 yrs, 50k) periodic service. and a complete coolant change, spark plug change in the 3 yrs/60k service.
Thanks Dhanush, I think i need to tell them clearly not to replace the brake oil too.
Will update after the service.
Many thanks to both of you

EDIT :
UPDATE: Spoke to the service advisor and asked him not to replace the brake oil. I have asked him to clean the brake pads. The mechanic working on car insists that the spark plugs need to be changed,I'd mention about the a little jerk when picking up from lower speeds in 2nd gear. I have told them to go ahead.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 14th February 2011 at 15:45.
Old 15th February 2011, 10:32   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ben, Copying from your link. Looks like you had to pay without reason for the spark plug, but why did you replace your brake pads? How much Kms was on the odo at the time of service?
Considering that the spark plugs arent really that expensive, i felt it was better to have them changed at the 40,000kms service. At the time of this service, the car was a bit shy of the 40k mark on the odo.

As for the brke pads, they did have some life left in them, but i believe they are up for replacement as per the schedule at the 40k mark. The same is also true for the Swift. Also, i did have some sort of screeching noise from the brake pads at times, so i didnt mind changing them. Hasnt come back since.

Do look up the service and replacement schedule in the owners manual, and based on the current condition of the items to be replaced, decide accordingly.

As for replacing the spark plugs, i dont think replacing them is going to significantly hike the bill.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:59   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Do look up the service and replacement schedule in the owners manual, and based on the current condition of the items to be replaced, decide accordingly.
As for replacing the spark plugs, i dont think replacing them is going to significantly hike the bill.
OK, Got it, was a little confused, yours was a "actual 40k on the odo" service, where as mine was "2yrs/40k service as per the manual", but actual reading on the odo was 16832 km.
So it made sense for you to replace spark plug and brake pads.

Here is the update of my service 2yrs/40K service(as per manual).
Got the spark plugs replaced along with general service. Also Wheel Alignment and balancing was done free. Got the free coupons for the same as I renewed the Inusrance from them. This time got Bajaj Allianz Insurance Policy with Drive Assure (economy) package.
Premium was Rs. 12893/- for the same.

Here is the break up of the servicing/ part costs.

Fuel Filter(assembly) : Rs. 445.24/-
Was Fluid pouch : Rs. 51.86/-
Oil Filter : Rs. 83.74/-
Element Air cleaner : Rs.273.93/-
Distilled Water : Rs. 13.32/-
Spark plugs: 4* 54.48/- = Rs.217.92/-(price has decreased)
Engine Oil(10W30) : 4.5*169 = Rs. 760.50/-
Consumables : Rs. 120/-

TOTAL Labour = Rs.939/-
TOTAL Parts = Rs. 1846.51/-
TOTAL Bill(inlcuding taxes) = Rs. 3150/-

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 15th February 2011 at 13:01.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:06   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Engine Oil(10W30) : 4.5*169 = Rs. 760.50/-
Does the 1.3 Petrol engine need 4.5 liters of oil ? (The 1.4 diesel is said to take 3.8 litres only).
Old 15th February 2011, 14:36   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. brake pads.
Replacing brake pads before they wear out completely is very important. If not, they may cause scratches to the discs, and we end up paying even more.

Quote:
Fuel Filter(assembly) : Rs. 445.24/-
um.. doenst the fuel filter cost about 150Rs? . and, whats Fuel Filter Assembly?. Why did you need to change it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Does the 1.3 Petrol engine need 4.5 liters of oil ? (The 1.4 diesel is said to take 3.8 litres only).
My IKON needs 4.3 Liters of oil every time. So I guess the A.S.S should have rounded the figure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks