Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 23:04   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
hey Manish,

Thanks for updating the thread and, this reminds me of an exact same color IKON I saw some days before, with alloys. I guess some nice alloys and 195 tyres make the car look super duper cool!!.. I really liked the color/alloy combo. The alloys were chorme/black 5(?) spoke. Could not see the brand, as the car was moving.
Are you planning for the same?. . I loved the difference it made from stock look.
Hey Dhanush, now that you have asked this question. Let me reveal the plan
I do have plans for upgrading to alloys and bigger/better rubber.
I am sold at this alloy design in the same color in 14" size.
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-picture_11325.jpg
It's listed in our classifieds here.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...Spoke-BM.html/

And was planning for 185/65/R14 tyres. Won't 195 be too much?
Though I know of Ikon with a 15" wheel too, but I am not looking at such a upsize.

My idea is that the black rim would go well with the Platinum color. Plus i'll silghtly smoke the headlights and tail lamps and also put a K&N filter and look at slight performance upgrading mods(within budget).

What do you think?
But all this would be after Feb2012 when warranty gets over. I am planning to buy the 4th yr. extended warranty as of now.
Old 26th August 2011, 00:20   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I do have plans for upgrading to alloys and bigger/better rubber.
I am sold at this alloy design in the same color in 14" size.
Black alloys look uber cool, but I really think for your color, something with a bit of chrome (along with that black) would really stand out (in a subtle manner).

Quote:
And was planning for 185/65/R14 tyres. Won't 195 be too much?
195 on 14 inchers should be fine. 15 inch IMO, is an overkill.
Quote:
Plus i'll silghtly smoke the headlights and tail lamps
Whatever you do, please... please... please.. dont smoke your headlights. You car will instantly age 10 years. Believe me, I've seen it.

Light color IKON's with smoked HL's look like crap. If it were black, then I would have been the 1st to suggest this to you. You have no idea how cool smoked TL's look on a black IKON.

Quote:
and also put a K&N filter and look at slight performance upgrading mods(within budget).
No need for CAI. Our Intake is already drawing air from beneath the fender, ie, cold air.

I've heard that FFE can do wonders. You might wanna try that out. I will in a few.

Quote:
I am planning to buy the 4th yr. extended warranty as of now.
Does your SA void warranty even for alloys?. Pathetic.

Last edited by dhanushs : 26th August 2011 at 00:33.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:16   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fordmanchau : And was planning for 185/65/R14 tyres. Won't 195 be too much? I am planning to buy the 4th yr. extended warranty as of now.
dhanushs : 195 on 14 inchers should be fine.
Correct swap: 185/60 R14. I am currently running this. If you do 185/60 R14, wty should not be a problem.
195 will mean lower profile, hence ride will be a little harsh.

Quote:
Fordmanchau : I am planning to buy the 4th yr. extended warranty as of now.
Pls let me know the details when you buy. Me too in the same situation, to do before year end.
Old 26th August 2011, 14:14   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Black alloys look uber cool, but I really think for your color, something with a bit of chrome (along with that black) would really stand out (in a subtle manner).
I got what you meant. Saw a Palio some while ago with black alloys having chrome lip and it looked good. Will try looking for that when I'll change to alloys . Otherwise it would be the above design in either full black or full chrome color.
Quote:
195 on 14 inchers should be fine. 15 inch IMO, is an overkill.
No 15inchers for me. I would upgrade to 14" . That's it.

Quote:
Whatever you do, please... please... please.. dont smoke your headlights. You car will instantly age 10 years. Believe me, I've seen it.
You don't know how much I lust when I see a Ikon in Black. Love that color on Ikon, but sadly was a no-no color when we went buying.
I just wanted to add a tinge of smoke to the HL. What do you mean by "aging 10 yrs"?
Lookwise it will be bad you mean? I was also hoping and see how a black lip spoiler would look on the car. Let me see , it's all in the mind as of now.

Quote:
No need for CAI. Our Intake is already drawing air from beneath the fender, ie, cold air.
I've heard that FFE can do wonders. You might wanna try that out. I will in a few.
Do let me know when you try it out. You have any estimate in mind for it ?But I would like my car to be a sleeper. No loud thumping sound. A quiet vrooommm is what I like

Quote:
Does your SA void warranty even for alloys?. Pathetic.
Not that they would void my warranty but just to be on the safer side. Well they know I have added relay to my headlights but they have not uttered a single word on voiding the warranty and I know they would not void it if I upgrade to alloys.
But then in this 30 months, I haven't had a single warranty claim. Touchwood!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Correct swap: 185/60 R14. I am currently running this. If you do 185/60 R14, wty should not be a problem.
195 will mean lower profile, hence ride will be a little harsh.
no 195s for me. I don't want the tyres to foul under heavyweight.
I'll look at both 185/60 and 185/65 in 14 inches. But will run another 10k atleast with the stock tyres.

Quote:
Pls let me know the details when you buy. Me too in the same situation, to do before year end.
Sure!! i bought the 3rd yr extended warranty for some 4K +change, before my original 2 yr warranty expired. I can also buy the 4th yr warranty and that's also in the range of 4k, i guess. Will confirm after I check it again.

Edit: dhanush you meant alloys like this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2481976

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 26th August 2011 at 14:26.
Old 26th August 2011, 14:21   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fordmanchau : I don't want the tyres to foul under heavyweight.
Pls be careful when boot is fully loaded. The tyres will then sometimes rub against the wheel arch.

Quote:
Fordmanchau : I can also buy the 4th yr warranty and that's also in the range of 4k, i guess.
Ah, the cost of wty for petrols . I had paid 7k for 1 year :(
Old 26th August 2011, 14:50   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Otherwise it would be the above design in either full black or full chrome color.
I'll try to post a pic, when I come across it. In any case, I guess black would rock!
Quote:
No 15inchers for me. I would upgrade to 14" . That's it.

Quote:
You don't know how much I lust when I see a Ikon in Black. Love that color on Ikon
Even I think black is the best color for an IKON. It always manages to evoke something in my heart, when I see it all dirty and mud covered!!.. ,

Quote:
I just wanted to add a tinge of smoke to the HL. What do you mean by "aging 10 yrs"?
Well, what I meant is, smoking HL's in an IKON of light color (even mine) will make it look old, and battered. The transformation is huge. Even I wanted a slight tinge of smoke, and tried it out with ink, but it was hiedious. Too bad to my taste. The worst part is that it didnt add a bit of sportiness, which was my intend. Where as, I have seen a black IKON with tastefully smoked tail lamps, and mannn!!.. it was drool worthy, with that OE spoiler

If possible, I'll try to post a PS image.
Quote:
Do let me know when you try it out. You have any estimate in mind for it ?But I would like my car to be a sleeper. No loud thumping sound. A quiet vrooommm is what I like
Exactly, thats what I would like to have too. I have called up Raj and he quoted 12k. In all, I plan for a 15k budget. If possible we can go in together?. So that we can get a nice discount?
Quote:
I have added relay to my headlights
Hey Manish, could you please post a pic of how they have wired the relay and ceramic holders into the HL assy?.
Quote:
Edit: dhanush you meant alloys like this.
Not really, I'll try to post a pic.
Quote:
The tyres will then sometimes rub against the wheel arch.
Hey condor, I think I have seen you mention somewhere (I think in the coil spring adjusters thread) about the tyres fouling the wheel arch. Have you had any experience? I always thought there was ample space in the rear wheel arch?

Last edited by dhanushs : 26th August 2011 at 14:51.
Old 26th August 2011, 15:33   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

@Dhanush, that happened on one trip when the boot was l-o-a-d-e-d. You know how the Ikon's boot is ...

Old 19th September 2011, 12:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

Re: This Ford is my IKON - now at 22,170 kms.

Here's a litte update.

The steering was feeling a little wobbly lately when I used to straighten it after the turn, so this saturday I went for tyre rotation, balancing and alignment. Swapped Rear right with Front right and vice versa and Rear left with Front left.

The mechanic doing the swap and balancing said that Front shocks both side have become weak as the tyres moved a little towards right/left when he tried to do it. I understand that the tyres should not move otherwise without the steering assistance. Is it true? Am I being informed correctly??

Other thing I wonder that how the front shock absorbers can weaken so soon. I know it has seen it's fair share of humps and potholes, but still!! Do I need to get a second opinion?

One more question, I know shocks are wear and tear item, but any chances of them getting replaced under warranty?

The other issue I am facing is after the balancing, rotation and alignment is that steering has become more wobbly and it's also now vibrating plus it's pulling to right a little. My confidence on the steering is gone.
There's more tyre noise coming from Front right (as it seems), i felt it on saturday itself when I was getting home, but this morning even wife noticed it.
Can it be due to tyre pressure as I get front tyres filled upto 32psi and rear to 30psi. I have not get the air pressure checked and refilled.
I will be going to that Wheel Alignment center in another hour mostly, so if you guys can give any advises, that would be great.

Quote:
Pls be careful when boot is fully loaded. The tyres will then sometimes rub against the wheel arch.
Condor, then what size you suggest for upsizing so that tyres don't touch the wheel arch?

Quote:
Ah, the cost of wty for petrols . I had paid 7k for 1 year :(
You cover all that with the diesel price, don't you!! Ah the cost of petrol
Quote:
If possible, I'll try to post a PS image.
Dhanush, did you get time for a PS image?
Quote:
Exactly, thats what I would like to have too. I have called up Raj and he quoted 12k. In all, I plan for a 15k budget. If possible we can go in together?. So that we can get a nice discount?
When do you plan to go for it? I am planning a trip to blr in November. Have to decide whether I want to get it so soon, though I want it.
Quote:
Hey Manish, could you please post a pic of how they have wired the relay and ceramic holders into the HL assy?.
Okay , I am guilty here Dhanush, will soon get a pic for you. I am just being very lazy to get my digicam battery recharged
Old 19th September 2011, 14:38   #129
Senior - BHPian

Re: This Ford is my IKON - now at 22170 kms.

Went to the same Wheel Alignment Center for the issue mentioned in the above post.
The mechanic test drove and confirmed my complains.
So they swapped the Front right tyres with Front left tyres, but then they car started pulling towards left and steering got even more wobbly plus, it tightened a bit during turnings.
So I suggested that let's swap back the tyres from front to rear.
So the RF went to RR and LF went to LR.
Test drove again and it felt a lot lot better, almost like what it was before I went for WA.

So the tyres were interchanged in the following order finally after the hit & trials.

RR finally went to LR, and
RF went to LF.

Hope it is smooth sailing for sometime. The mechanic at WQ center complained of Goodyear quality that they wear out fast and 22K even is achievement for it. He recommended Bridgestone as the next setof tyres.

He also mentioned about Ikon's shock going kaput sooner, though I'll reserve my opinion about it as of now.
Old 19th September 2011, 15:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

While shocks can give up anytime, it's really a rare occurrence to see them fail so soon. Get all the joints and other elements too inspected from a good mechanic.

I don't think you can claim warranty on shocks unless you can demonstrate they failed due to a manufacturing defect.

Btw, Ikon 1.6 has 13" rims as stock, I guess. Mine are.

And a nice write up!
Old 19th September 2011, 19:16   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: This Ford is my IKON - now at 22,170 kms.

Quote:
The mechanic doing the swap and balancing said that Front shocks both side have become weak as the tyres moved a little towards right/left when he tried to do it.
You are misinformed. Its not the shocks that cause this symptom, its the ball joints. When shocks go kaput, your car will be wallowy and will handle differently than new. And when you load up the front, by say sitting on the apron, and unload it, the car will be bouncy if the shock is kaput, otherwise, the spring will just recoil, will not bounce.

'Dampers' are to damp the recoil nature of the springs, and shocks are dampers.
Quote:
Other thing I wonder that how the front shock absorbers can weaken so soon...
.. Do I need to get a second opinion?
You definitely need to get a second opinion. Shocks last ~70k kms.

Quote:
One more question, I know shocks are wear and tear item, but any chances of them getting replaced under warranty?
Not sure, when I replaced them I was already out of warranty period.

Quote:
The other issue I am facing is after the balancing, rotation and alignment is that steering has become more wobbly and it's also now vibrating plus it's pulling to right a little.
Ball joints going bad, can cause this and more, like bad alignment.
Quote:
Dhanush, did you get time for a PS image?
OK, I'm guilty here.. I just forgot :( .. sorry .. Will post this weekend, as right now I'm traveling.
Quote:
When do you plan to go for it? I am planning a trip to blr in November. Have to decide whether I want to get it so soon, though I want it.
I have some plans going through my mind. Will PM you.

Quote:
Okay , I am guilty here Dhanush, will soon get a pic for you. I am just being very lazy to get my digicam battery recharged
Old 18th October 2011, 16:03   #132
Senior - BHPian

Had a headache when I woke up this morbing,so bunked office. Felt alright by noon so went to the Ford service centre to get the front shock absorber checked.
The mechanic confirmed ball joints need replacement. He will also check for the shocks if they have gone bad and replace if required.

The car is under warranty still and as it has done only 22500 kms as of now,they have agreed to replace it under warranty. Costs 3000/- per piece.
I'll try and push for the shocks replacement too.
They were packed today with too many cars for service, so have booked the car for Friday this week.
Will report after the shocks are sorted out.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:50   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Manish, I spent some time on the PS pics.

Decide for yourself. Well, these are far from perfect jobs from a PS n00by like me, but still will give you an idea.

This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_1441.jpg

This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_1441-copy.jpg

This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_1622.jpg

This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_1622-copy.jpg

This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_2981.jpg

This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-img_2981-copy.jpg
Old 18th October 2011, 18:58   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is under warranty still and as it has done only 22500 kms as of now,they have agreed to replace it under warranty. Costs 3000/- per piece.
This is the price for a single ball joint, is it? That means the ones I had sourced were dirt cheap (at around Rs. 1k for both). I didn't have to use them though, as the mech confirmed the ball joints on my car are good.

Do let me know the price for shocks. My bill has run upwards of 10k (for all four shocks and strut kits), and I can't imagine Ford pricing the parts lower than an independent vendor.
Old 18th October 2011, 19:03   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I can't imagine Ford pricing the parts lower than an independent vendor.
IIRC ball joints are ~1800 a piece.

btw, honeybee, I have seen many parts which are cheap @ A.S.S for Ford. Eg: Battery, Brake Pads, Wipers (?) etc..

Most Viewed