Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 15:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi Epic,

I too use my Ritz VDI to the maxim. I appreciate your record keeping style. I learn from you. I took a print out of your write up and keep for me. for the reference with my VDI which has the same engine of Swift VDI. Seems I too will reach at least 50% of yours in 3 years. After that I will dispose and go for a new, so I never go for an 4th year extended warranty.
Old 1st February 2010, 15:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post
Gear Oil with every engine oil change. clutch oil only once when the release bearing was changed. radiator fluid every 50000 kilometers. topped up the brake oil. never changed it.

4. Did you do any upgrades to your tyres? Did you go for alloy wheels?
check the review. stock rims as on date.
5. What are the symptoms of Synchronization rings wear?
never found out. as far as i was getting them for free from maruti it didnt matter
Thanks for the update. Was useful. I do have clarification on replies to Q2,4,a nd 5.

Q2 - So you changed engine oil once every 20000 kms?
Q4 - I saw the changes you mentioned on the tyre brand but could never get the size information (Upgrades). Did you continue with the stock size 165/80 R-14 or upgaded the tyres to a higher width 185 or 195?
Q5 - I wanted to know the symptoms not the reason for rings wear. How did you detect synchronization rings had Failed?

Thanks.
Old 1st February 2010, 17:26   #18
BHPian

Repeating the repeated (several times) post:
Nice review from a busy man.
My message: ---
This write up proves that maruti is a good company, keep their words care the costumers. We are having many threads for complaining hyundai, skoda & TATA. It is strange that maruti has given in writing to change synchronizer rings and the dealer kept their words.
18 Hrs nonstop journey is a remarkable point. I guess there were 2 drivers but appreciate the comfort level & capability of swift and ability of drivers.
Since you are a 3 digit driver, what maximum speed you have ever achieved?
Happy journey with punto.
Old 1st February 2010, 17:33   #19
BHPian

Thanks for the update. Was useful. I do have clarification on replies to Q2,4,a nd 5.

YES

Q4 - I saw the changes you mentioned on the tyre brand but could never get the size information (Upgrades). Did you continue with the stock size 165/80 R-14 or upgaded the tyres to a higher width 185 or 195?

195/65 R14S

Q5 - I wanted to know the symptoms not the reason for rings wear. How did you detect synchronization rings had Failed?

THE GEAR SHIFTING BECOMES HARD INITIALLY. THEN YOU HAVE TO DOUBLE CLUTCH AND UPSHIFT. DOWNSHIFTING IS NOT A PROBLEM. BUT DURING UPSHIFTING IF YOU ARE AT LOW SPEEDS ITS VERY HARD. SOMETIMES THE CAR HAS TO BE BROUGHT TO ALMOST A HALT AND THEN DOUBLE CLUTCHED AND THE GEAR CHANGED.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 1st February 2010, 17:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Repeating the repeated (several times) post:
Nice review from a busy man.
My message: ---
This write up proves that maruti is a good company, keep their words care the costumers. We are having many threads for complaining hyundai, skoda & TATA. It is strange that maruti has given in writing to change synchronizer rings and the dealer kept their words.
18 Hrs nonstop journey is a remarkable point. I guess there were 2 drivers but appreciate the comfort level & capability of swift and ability of drivers.
Since you are a 3 digit driver, what maximum speed you have ever achieved?
Happy journey with punto.
Single driver bro...yours truly.
As for the max speeds. 160 has been managed. never tried anything more than that.
Old 1st February 2010, 18:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

YES
So Which Engine oil you were using ?Synthetic oils ?
Old 1st February 2010, 18:47   #22
BHPian

Your write up is good.
How much do you rate Punto compared to Swift? I am also a Fiat fan, need some info on ground clearance, after sales service and build quality of Punto.
Old 1st February 2010, 19:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
So Which Engine oil you were using ?Synthetic oils ?
mineral....mobil delvac 1300 since day one
Old 1st February 2010, 20:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well, from the miles logged in a short period of time, it is obvious that your car hits the highways more often than not; and for such a case the Punto is the unbeatable choice.

Hope to see your Punto ownership report coming up sometime soon.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

EGR valve cleaning

Hi Epic,

How was the car after the EGR valve cleaning? Was there a big imrpovement in engine responsiveness, mileage etc or was there just a slight change?

Drive on!!
Shibu
Old 1st February 2010, 21:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Awesome mileage man. 2L in 3 years

We brought our first Diesel in Indica in year 2002 and after 6 months the car showed 50k and thereafter till now it is at 80k in 7.5 years. 30k kms in 7 years lol

Cheers!
Old 1st February 2010, 22:25   #27
Team-BHP Support

Had been waiting for this review for almost a year and a half man. Congrats and well done. All the best for the Punto !

Some more details about the fuel mag please ?
Old 1st February 2010, 23:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Had been waiting for this review for almost a year and a half man. Congrats and well done. All the best for the Punto !

Some more details about the fuel mag please ?
eddy saar here is the link to the fuel mag dealer in india. The guy's name is Mohan and you can give my reference if all the info provided here is still not sufficient to satisfy you and ask him anything They are also our regular suppliers for fuel mags and Separ brand water seperator units which we use on our volvo penta, mtu and perkins range of diesel engines..

Ecotech Fuelmag Diesel conditioner | Ecotech

@ yogeshnaik: the punto will be a good car to use. i have only driven it once for a couple of hundred kilometers and i was highly impressed by it. the rest will have to wait as i start driving it and get to know it as well as the swift. build quality will always be better than maruti and the service is also not going to be an issue. i have 4 friends working for the tata fiat authorised service center here and two of them are parsis and die hard fiat fans. so the after sales and service problems are already taken care of.

@ amartya: yes the highway running makes punto a good choice. the only other mile muncher would be a dzire after the swift but somehow or the other it doesnt look that exciting.

@ shibujp: the egr cleaning just brought the car back to its normal self. no major effects on performance.

@ sn1p3r: thanks man. 30k is not a bad figure at all. there are cars that have done less than 2000 kilometers in a year some times.

hope this helps for now. keep the questions and queries coming. i'll try to answer as many as i can.
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:21   #29
BHPian

epicenter.rulez
Nice to meet a real driver. I am really amazed. But it seems that due to busyness you do not read owner’s manual carefully. Engine oil change at 20k interval !! And MASS did not suggest you to change the engine oil at 10k interval?
Beat wishes for bright future & fantastic driving experience.

Quote:
i have 4 friends working for the tata fiat authorised service center here and two of them are parsis and die hard fiat fans. so the after sales and service problems are already taken care of.
Great!! They are not just friends, they are god.

Quote:
@ amartya: yes the highway running makes punto a good choice. the only other mile muncher would be a dzire after the swift but somehow or the other it doesnt look that exciting.
Yes nothing below Hyundai verna

Quote:
@ shibujp: the egr cleaning just brought the car back to its normal self. no major effects on performance.
I had seen many modern diesel engine emitting thick black smoke (not every piece, only some) when pushing slightly hard accelerator. Did some googling. Perhaps it because of corrupt egr value. Is it true?
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
epicenter.rulez
Nice to meet a real driver. I am really amazed.
==================
I had seen many modern diesel engine emitting thick black smoke (not every piece, only some) when pushing slightly hard accelerator. Did some googling. Perhaps it because of corrupt egr value. Is it true?
Not a corrupt egr valve, but a malfunctioning one.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd February 2010 at 13:33. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large post for short reply. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks