Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 15:54   #1
BHPian

The Reliable Japanese - My Toyota Corolla

Hey Guys,

So it's about time I did a review on my 2006 Toyota Corolla. I've been travelling to Mumbai every summer since I was born. But in the last 3 years we've been traveling more frequently, we just love Mumbai! BUT, we can't stand the heat of Mumbai and hate using the local transport. Which led us to purchase a car, the Toyota Corolla!

Since we're used to Automatic cars in Hong Kong, we decided that an Automatic would be a smart choice for the Mumbai traffic as well.

So far the car has done about 50,000 kms. And it has been great and smooth. Though lately, the car has been giving trouble. The engine makes weird noises when I floor the car, the steering is VERY tough (it used to be much smoother earlier) and at high speeds the steering wheel shakes. I'm not sure if this makes a major difference, but around a year ago my dad met with an accident with the car. He went head-on with another car, the damage wasn't too bad from what he said. He said only the front bumper had gone or something. Is it due to that, that these problems are occuring? What should be done?

Since my mom is in India I have told her to give the car for servicing before I arrive (which is next Saturday). Any suggestions as to which Toyota service centre I should leave the car at? I want excellent servicing at the value-for-money, I don't want to get ripped off as I did last time. The last time I gave the car for a simple service, I had to pay RS.40,000. I'm not sure if thats normal for these cars or something.

As I am not in India right now I am unable to attach any photos, but I will do so next week when I'm back.

Thanks for reading and I hope to receive some useful advice!
Old 9th February 2010, 10:16   #2
BHPian

120 views, but not one reply?! My write-up couldn't have been that bad! I need advice on which Toyota Service centre I should send the car to in Mumbai, any suggestions??
Old 9th February 2010, 14:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

INR 40K is too much for a Corolla. Hell, it's too much for a C Class. Looks like you got ripped off royally. Post a scan of the bill when you can. The problems you mention indicate that your dad damaged more than a bumper. You'll need to get the service center to do a full checkup.

Your power steering pump might be damaged or dying. I don't know if the Corolla was hydraulically assisted in it's earlier generations, so the pump might be a motor. The rack and associated parts need to be checked as well.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
INR 40K is too much for a Corolla. Hell, it's too much for a C Class. Looks like you got ripped off royally. Post a scan of the bill when you can. The problems you mention indicate that your dad damaged more than a bumper. You'll need to get the service center to do a full checkup.

Your power steering pump might be damaged or dying. I don't know if the Corolla was hydraulically assisted in it's earlier generations, so the pump might be a motor. The rack and associated parts need to be checked as well.
Sure I'll try and get a hold of the bill when I'm back in B-Town.

Yah I think quite a few parts need to be replaced. But I'm not sure which service centre to go to. Any advice fellow Mumbai BHPians?
Old 10th February 2010, 00:51   #5
BHPian

where in mumbai are you located?
There is millenium Toyota in Thane which is really good.
Old 10th February 2010, 00:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

get in touch with nitrox from the forum. he will help you out.
Old 10th February 2010, 06:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
get in touch with nitrox from the forum. he will help you out.
Which Nitrox? There are a couple on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
where in mumbai are you located?
There is millenium Toyota in Thane which is really good.
I reside in Santacruz, Mumbai. Closeness doesn't necessarily matter, but I'm definetely not willing to travel to Thane if there is something realtively good nearby. If you could suggest something more closeby? Thanks!

Last edited by krazyking : 10th February 2010 at 06:18.
Old 9th March 2010, 11:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Which Nitrox? There are a couple on this forum.
his id is ..... nitroxx
Old 9th March 2010, 12:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

40k for a service for a petrol sedan from Toyota which just sees the highway?

Check alignment etc. Maybe the tyre/suspension also took the hit.
Old 9th March 2010, 15:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

40K? Should be major damage. Wasn't the Insurance claimed?
Pls post some pics if available.
Old 9th March 2010, 15:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

40K for one service for a life of 50K kms. Its bizzare. They seemed to have ripped you off.

For my 50K kms nearing car ( Viva CRDi) till date have spent only Rs.18,000 + something.

I may spend maybe Rs.5K for its 50K service
Old 9th March 2010, 15:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if you should go to Toyota in the first place. All service centers will rip you off. Straight off replacement and Labour bills will be through the roof.

If any other Corolla users here can help you to get it done from a local garage it would be better & cheaper.

Theres a garage in Santacruz that i give my cars too. Its called Pai Automobiles. You can contact him. Pai 9324115501. And Ksm- Vtec can give you the number of another person who also does a good job with suspensions.
Oberoi.
Old 9th March 2010, 15:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

40k seems wierd.
I have given my Camry 07 for service many a times(currently nearing 50,000 kms) and have never paid more than 12000 bucks( highest and lowest at 6000 bucks) for a service.
Old 14th May 2010, 16:01   #14
BHPian

Okay guys, sorry for the late reply, have been quite busy after I came back from India.

So I gave the car to Shinrai Toyota for servicing. The bill was 4k. The car came back feeling great, I don't know what magic they did to it! However, this magic only lasted for a while... After about a week, the steering wheel started acting stiff and making squeaking sounds when I steered . I usually like to drive my car aggressively, as do most, could that be a reason?

I'll be heading back up again in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I'd love to avoid it, but I can't stand the noises and stiff steer!

Thanks!
Old 14th May 2010, 16:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Okay guys, sorry for the late reply, have been quite busy after I came back from India.

So I gave the car to Shinrai Toyota for servicing. The bill was 4k. The car came back feeling great, I don't know what magic they did to it! However, this magic only lasted for a while... After about a week, the steering wheel started acting stiff and making squeaking sounds when I steered . I usually like to drive my car aggressively, as do most, could that be a reason?

I'll be heading back up again in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I'd love to avoid it, but I can't stand the noises and stiff steer!

Thanks!
Guess it was a typo afterall!

Aggressive driving just for few hours (unless you are off roading) should cause this ( unless your power steering is faulty).

Check if there is oil leak ( if its hydraulic) ; take it back to the service center.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks