Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 18:03   #136
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio 1.6 - 5.5 years and 100,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
Got some parts replaced as time had taken their toll on them.

1. Rear suspension struts
2. Front Brake discs
3. Front Brake pads
4. Drive shaft boot
5. Transmission oil
6. Engine Oil
7. Horn
Can you give a break up of the costs for these parts - Would be helpful
thanks !
Old 29th November 2012, 01:31   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
Can you give a break up of the costs for these parts - Would be helpful
thanks !
Here are the part costs:

1. Rear suspension struts - 1500 each gas struts (the original Magneti Marelli cofap ones are not available)
2. Front Brake discs - 1200 each
3. Front Brake pads - 1000 for the pair
4. Drive shaft boot - around 200-300 (not sure)
5. Transmission oil - 2000 (synthetic oil)
6. Engine Oil - 4500 (synthetic shell helix ultra)
7. Horn - 700 - roots - the Volkswagen type
lucifer919 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 12:35   #138
BHPian

Re: FIAT Palio 1.6 - 83000Kms update

Excuse me if this turns out to be a noob question. But could you please tell me how to diagnose if the suspension struts are on their way out???

I own a Palio Stile Sport too - the same colour as yours. My car has been "carefully driven" for around 63k on the ODO. Off late I've been getting this feeling that my car has gone a bit too "soft". There are no nasty/ weird sounds and I have seldom bottomed out. The distinctive "woosh" sound is still heard while going over speed-bumps. And it is not that the car pitches and rolls all over the place like my Verna. But I still have a lingering feeling that the suspension is not what it used to be
Old 29th November 2012, 21:33   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post
Excuse me if this turns out to be a noob question. But could you please tell me how to diagnose if the suspension struts are on their way out???

I own a Palio Stile Sport too - the same colour as yours. My car has been "carefully driven" for around 63k on the ODO. Off late I've been getting this feeling that my car has gone a bit too "soft". There are no nasty/ weird sounds and I have seldom bottomed out. The distinctive "woosh" sound is still heard while going over speed-bumps. And it is not that the car pitches and rolls all over the place like my Verna. But I still have a lingering feeling that the suspension is not what it used to be
There are a couple of ways to check the struts. The easiest is to just lift up the 'dust-caps?' from the struts and check if you see any oil leak. If you do, the struts are on their way out. If not, you may have to take them off the car and get them checked.

I actually did not have any pitching or rolling in my car either but the car did feel soft. We could see a oil leak only after taking them off the car because it was on the side of the strut facing the inside so not visible from the outside. It was also not massive enough to cause a drip/dribble.
lucifer919 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 10:27   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post

If the stabilizer rod bush is weakened you might get slight floaty feeling. It might cost around 400 bucks for the set.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 23:10   #141

Hi Lucifer,

I own a Fiat Palio 1.6 stile.I'm planning to upgrade the headlamps to 100 watt set.
Whats the best place in Bangalore to get the change done for Fiat cars ?
Today I visited a shop at JC road and also Reliance Autozone at HSR, they were both clueless, on the type of headlamp for Palio. I also asked them for complete kit , (headlamp + relay+ wiring) , though they were pushing for only headlamp.

Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 21:20   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsri View Post
Hi Lucifer,

I own a Fiat Palio 1.6 stile.I'm planning to upgrade the headlamps to 100 watt set.
Today I visited a shop at JC road and also Reliance Autozone at HSR, they were both clueless, on the type of headlamp for Palio. I also asked them for complete kit , (headlamp + relay+ wiring) , though they were pushing for only headlamp.

Thanks
Hello,

I'm honestly not sure about the bulbs because I've been running HIDs in my car since day one. Never bothered to experiment with Halogens.

But, if you want to go for halogens, i do know that all 4 lights in the Stile are H7 type. the Old Palio had a combination of H1 and H7. And yes, you should ideally go for the whole kit of lights and relay. the Wiring would be part of the relay. One place i would recommend is Auto Fusion in Koramangla. Speak to Thoqeer and tell him that you got the reference through Kiran or John. He should be able to hook you up.

Cheers!
lucifer919 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 22:47   #143

Qs!

Hey guys, i've had a palio in 2004, it was a 1.6 GTX..
had to sell it off as i moved. I'm planning to buy another 1.6 GTX because after all the cars i've driven (Quite a lot of them) its just the best. Since im on a tight budget i was planning to get a CNG kit installed.Can you help me out with the type of kit i should get installed?? Also would there be a drop in power even if its tuned properly? Will it effect the engine? thanks!
Old 10th June 2013, 17:49   #144
BHPian

Re: 60,000 KM Update :)

Hello Kiran,

I own a 2006 model 1.6 Sport which has done 66000 km till now. I intend to change to Synthetic Engine Oil since the service is due in a short time. However, my mechanic (Venkatesh of Gowri Auto, Bangalore) insists that it is not advisable to use Synthetic Oil. When asked about the reason, he gave me an explanation which I couldnt comprehend fully and hence it's currently out of memory.

What's your take on this?
Old 10th June 2013, 18:02   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
Hello,

I'm honestly not sure about the bulbs because I've been running HIDs in my car since day one. Never bothered to experiment with Halogens.

But, if you want to go for halogens, i do know that all 4 lights in the Stile are H7 type. the Old Palio had a combination of H1 and H7. And yes, you should ideally go for the whole kit of lights and relay. the Wiring would be part of the relay. One place i would recommend is Auto Fusion in Koramangla. Speak to Thoqeer and tell him that you got the reference through Kiran or John. He should be able to hook you up.

Cheers!
I own a 2001 Palio 1.6 GTX, now done 56,860 kms, The car runs like a Dream No doubt, but have been facing a few issues ( Nothing pertaining to the car )

1) The Stock headlights are Pathetic and i have to put ON the high beam too for a lightly better lighting. Also, it gets Fogged during rains, need to find a suitable solution.

2) My front seat recliners are busted, need to change them, not sure where they are available.

3) Rear Alloys are lightly BENT, So need to know from you, as to what happened to your Stock alloys.....?????????

FE has been a consistent 9.5 kmpl - 10.50 kmpl with 100% A/C ON and 100% city driving ( average of 50 kms per day )
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio 1.6 - 5.5 years and 100,000 kms-dsc00454.jpg  

Fiat Palio 1.6 - 5.5 years and 100,000 kms-dsc00455.jpg  

Old 11th June 2013, 21:49   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I own a 2001 Palio 1.6 GTX, now done 56,860 kms, The car runs like a Dream No doubt, but have been facing a few issues ( Nothing pertaining to the car )

1) The Stock headlights are Pathetic and i have to put ON the high beam too for a lightly better lighting. Also, it gets Fogged during rains, need to find a suitable solution.

2) My front seat recliners are busted, need to change them, not sure where they are available.

3) Rear Alloys are lightly BENT, So need to know from you, as to what happened to your Stock alloys.....?????????

FE has been a consistent 9.5 kmpl - 10.50 kmpl with 100% A/C ON and 100% city driving ( average of 50 kms per day )
Hello Pavan,

1. Have you tried higher wattage bulbs or HIDs even? May cost you a little extra as an initial cost, but i have found the HIDs to be the best headlight option out there. Also, the stock Palio lights have a pretty strong cut off, to prevent glare to a large extent, though not to the extent of projectors.

There really is no alternative for the foggy headlights except to replace them. Also, once replaced, ensure you or nobody else messes with the sealing of the lamps when replacing or changing bulbs. Most times, the issue is because the lamps are not closed back properly. My headlights have holes drilled in the back to allow the HID relays and wiring to pass but there is a rubber grommet to ensure no moisture leak.

2. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by seat recliners. Do you mean the part that changes the seat back position? if so, you can try to hunt for a replacement from maybe a totalled Palio and get it swapped out. if the seat back itself, then you can either re-upholster it or get a nice set of replacement aftermarket seats like most of the Kerala Palios in the modifications thread.

3. My stock alloys are on my S10. the S10 alloy were square rather than a circle when i got it, so put my stock alloys on there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kiran.
Old 11th June 2013, 21:53   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvinhard View Post
Hello Kiran,

I own a 2006 model 1.6 Sport which has done 66000 km till now. I intend to change to Synthetic Engine Oil since the service is due in a short time. However, my mechanic (Venkatesh of Gowri Auto, Bangalore) insists that it is not advisable to use Synthetic Oil. When asked about the reason, he gave me an explanation which I couldnt comprehend fully and hence it's currently out of memory.

What's your take on this?
I've been using Synthetic oil (Shell Helix Ultra) in my car, since first service. I can swear by the oil because, now, 90,000 kms and 5 years later, the engine is still good as new and puts a smile on my face every time i floor the throttle.

I'm not saying the engine is healthy all the way because of the oil, just that I feel the synthetic oil making it run 'smoother'?, as compared to a second Palio we have of the same vintage, which till not a long time ago, was running on mineral oil.

Cheers,
Kiran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarsid View Post
Hey guys, i've had a palio in 2004, it was a 1.6 GTX..
had to sell it off as i moved. I'm planning to buy another 1.6 GTX because after all the cars i've driven (Quite a lot of them) its just the best. Since im on a tight budget i was planning to get a CNG kit installed.Can you help me out with the type of kit i should get installed?? Also would there be a drop in power even if its tuned properly? Will it effect the engine? thanks!
Adding a CNG kit may not be too practical i the Palio because the boot is very small to begin with and it adds a ton of weight to the already heavy car. However, a sequential CNG kit will provide you with the same performance as when the car runs on petrol. Also, it comes with its own small piggyback ECU? (i cant remember the exact technical details/names), hence you should not need to fiddle with tuning the gas kit per say. should be a bulletproof installation.

Do make it a point though to always start your engine on Petrol and then switch to gas, as it is known to prevent starting troubles and some other complications, later in the car's life.

Cheers,
Kiran.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th June 2013 at 22:01. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
lucifer919 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 10:16   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsri View Post
Hi Lucifer,

Today I visited a shop at JC road

There is a shop called Shariff Trading Company on the second lane to your right after you enter the narrow lane by turning left from JC Road, you can take your car to his place, the two brothers who run this shop are very genuine and will do this job.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio 1.6 - 5.5 years and 100,000 kms-capture.jpg  

Last edited by deehunk : 12th June 2013 at 10:20.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 11:04   #149

Thanks deehunk and Lucifer.

I had been to Autofusion. They have moved their shop to 80 feet Rd, Koramangala near BMTC bus stop.
They didnt have the bulbs and relay in stock. They asked me to come a few days later. I'll try going there this weekend.
I'll call Shariff guy as well, and check their quotes.

I feel the necessity of HID lamps in highway driving in the nights, its safer and gives confidence to touch higher speeds.

One more thing: I am sure there must be a thread which discusses the mods to Fiat palio 1.6, but I would like to see the different options and the best places to get these mods done.
I have put a conical K&N filter, and I feel a noticeable difference in torque and definitely worth it.
Old 16th June 2013, 14:04   #150

Thank you Kiran! I found a 2008 Palio, Mjd sdx so I went ahead and bought it. It's really well maintained but I guess I have to change the clutch plates . It's making a 'thunk' sound if I let go of the clutch early, and the car switches off sometimes if I leave the clutch while downshifting . Apart from changing their filter and topping up the oils can you enlighten me on changing the clutch plates or what I need to so?? Thanks. The car has done 66k km.

Most Viewed