Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 18:27   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
Brilliant pics. And beautifully maintained car for the kilometres run.

The road trip pics: the car looks pretty loaded at the rear!

Cheers
Jagan
Yup. we had a ton of stuff in the rear and not to mention a heavy passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Stunning pics. The color and the back ground coupled with the lighting is making the pictures wallpaper stuff.

Keep it going.
Thank you. Pictures were taken by a friend and not me. All i do, is keep the car worthy of photographs.
lucifer919 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2010, 21:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

First of all, let me thank you for sharing more pictures with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
1) The wiper probably just looks that way in the picture. it is positioned correctly and works just fine.
I really felt that the wiper was misaligned. My bad!

Quote:
Alloys are by EVO but same ones are available in Lenso as well. D08 if i remember correctly. and no they are 100 PCD. the thing is, i'm using them with wobbly bolts. i havnt had much of an issue with them being 100 PCD except at exactly 170 kmph when i get a slight vibe in the steering. beyond that, its smooth sailing again. dont really feel the need to do anything more right now. got bigger plans
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to know the brand as the alloys are really drool-worthy. I'm eagerly looking forward to hear your 'bigger plans'.

At what rpm does Fiat Palio do 170 kmph?

Quote:
Definitely have plans for performance mods but i cant seem to find anyone who is willing to work on this engine without first thinking about screwing things up. i know that the engine may not be the easiest to work on but its not impossible. i have gathered a lot of intel on what i can do to this engine and time permitting, i may do it as a DIY
How about remapping the ECU and installing AIR(Air Intake Revision). I know, it's very hard to find people who work on Fiat cars.

All the best with your project! I'm will be visiting this thread regularly for the updates.

EDIT 1: Did you change the stock wipers? The front wipers looks like the ones that comes with Fiat GP and Fiat Linea. I guess that they pics are not deceiving me.

EDIT 2: I have sent you a PM.

Last edited by Klub Class : 1st December 2010 at 22:09.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
At what rpm does Fiat Palio do 170 kmph?

In fifth gear it does at arounud 4000-4500 RPM. i've pushed this car to 195 with a few more revs to go.

How about remapping the ECU and installing AIR(Air Intake Revision). I know, it's very hard to find people who work on Fiat cars.

I'm already running a K&N extreme conical intake.Remapping the ECU on its own does not justify the cost factor involved so not going for it yet.

Did you change the stock wipers?

Yup. I'm running the Bosch and Carsbo wipers. Since Bosch alone did not have the correct sizes, i had to get one form both inventories.
dunno why IE thinks i have less that 20 characters in this reply
Old 1st December 2010, 22:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fifth gear it does at arounud 4000-4500 RPM. i've pushed this car to 195 with a few more revs to go.
Wow! I never knew that Fiat Palio 1.6 could reach speeds excess of 180 km/hr.

The first thing that I'm gonna do after getting my driving license is to drive a Fiat Palio 1.6! I have to wait for nearly 700 days for that!

Quote:
I'm already running a K&N extreme conical intake.Remapping the ECU on its own does not justify the cost factor involved so not going for it yet.
Alright!

Quote:
Yup. I'm running the Bosch and Carsbo wipers. Since Bosch alone did not have the correct sizes, i had to get one form both inventories.
I'm glad that my guess was correct.

Quote:
dunno why IE thinks i have less that 20 characters in this reply
It's because you've replied to my queries INLINE. I guess, I didn't confuse you.

Last edited by Klub Class : 1st December 2010 at 22:30.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:37   #35
BHPian

Service update

Hello Again,

just another update to the thread. i got the car serviced last week and changed the engine oil after using motor flush. cleaned out the throttle body and the ICV. the K&N looked like a desert dueler so got that cleaned as well.

the engine is butter smooth now but i have noticed a slight drop in acceleration. is this normal after we de-carb the throttle body and ICV?? i'm kinda lost on that front.

also, the wheels had been removed to clean the brake pads and now, i have a slight steering shudder when the car is between 120-140 kmph. this was there earlier as well due to me running 100PCD alloys but it used to come up only after 170kmph.

any pointers?

Kiran.

EDIT: the service guy did tell me to replace the timing belt at 55000 kms. just wondering if this is a necessary replacement or just preventive maintainance.

Last edited by lucifer919 : 14th December 2010 at 18:38. Reason: spell check
Old 14th December 2010, 19:26   #36
BHPian

Re: Service update

Quote:
Hello Again,

just another update to the thread. i got the car serviced last week and changed the engine oil after using motor flush. cleaned out the throttle body and the ICV. the K&N looked like a desert dueler so got that cleaned as well.

the engine is butter smooth now but i have noticed a slight drop in acceleration. is this normal after we de-carb the throttle body and ICV?? i'm kinda lost on that front.

also, the wheels had been removed to clean the brake pads and now, i have a slight steering shudder when the car is between 120-140 kmph. this was there earlier as well due to me running 100PCD alloys but it used to come up only after 170kmph.

any pointers?

Kiran.

EDIT: the service guy did tell me to replace the timing belt at 55000 kms. just wondering if this is a necessary replacement or just preventive maintainance.
I think the drop in acceleration may be due to loss of compression, due to using motor engine oil flush.
Old 15th December 2010, 16:06   #37
BHPian

re: FIAT Palio 1.6 - 83000Kms update

Hi Kiran,
Changing the timing belt @55000 Kms is recommended and I think even the Fiat manual has it. Its a part of preventive maintenance. Please get it changed at the earliest!

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 16:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

FIAT Owners' Manual recommends:

Check T-Belt at 60,000kms
Replace T-Belt at 120,000kms

I got the timing belt changed at 54,***kms - it is also better to change the aux-belts at the same time (PS Belt, AC Belt, Alternator Belt) along with Timing Belt Bearings (T-Belt Idle Bearing, T-Belt Fixed Bearing & Alternator Bearing) - I didn't get the bearings changed due to "parts not available" (aux belts were changed). It is also recommended to check the oil seals at that time. It is better to change the Aux-belts because they are required to be taken out in order to access the T-Belt.

Hope this helps and i must add Your car looks Gorgeous (touch wood)

Tappets, in the 1.6 engine, cannot be adjusted unlike in the 1.2s - since these are hydrolic.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 15th December 2010 at 16:18.
Old 15th December 2010, 16:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

I Hate this thread!

Makes me want to go kill a Red 1.6 owner and steal his car. I don't mind giving my 1.2 in exchange if he wants me to spare his life.

Stunning pictures there. Every time this thread pop's up, and I see the absolutely STUNNING and MOUTHWATERING pictures again I feel like kicking myself for picking a 1.2 instead of a 1.6!
Old 15th December 2010, 18:15   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
Hi Kiran,
Changing the timing belt @55000 Kms is recommended and I think even the Fiat manual has it. Its a part of preventive maintenance. Please get it changed at the earliest!

Regards,
Kaustubh
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
FIAT Owners' Manual recommends:

Check T-Belt at 60,000kms
Replace T-Belt at 120,000kms

I got the timing belt changed at 54,***kms - it is also better to change the aux-belts at the same time (PS Belt, AC Belt, Alternator Belt) along with Timing Belt Bearings (T-Belt Idle Bearing, T-Belt Fixed Bearing & Alternator Bearing) - I didn't get the bearings changed due to "parts not available" (aux belts were changed). It is also recommended to check the oil seals at that time. It is better to change the Aux-belts because they are required to be taken out in order to access the T-Belt.

Hope this helps and i must add Your car looks Gorgeous (touch wood)

Tappets, in the 1.6 engine, cannot be adjusted unlike in the 1.2s - since these are hydrolic.
Thanks for the info guys. I'll get the belts changed accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I Hate this thread!

Makes me want to go kill a Red 1.6 owner and steal his car. I don't mind giving my 1.2 in exchange if he wants me to spare his life.

Stunning pictures there. Every time this thread pop's up, and I see the absolutely STUNNING and MOUTHWATERING pictures again I feel like kicking myself for picking a 1.2 instead of a 1.6!
Hehe. i know the feeling. actually, i'm in the midst of sealing a deal with buying a S10.

Always wanted a palio as a project car but could not sacrifice my daily driver for the cause. the second car is gonna be my guinea pig .

One other thing i wanted confirmed is, i see a drop in the Brake fuild levels in the car once in about 20,000 kms. is this normal? its not affecting the braking performance nor do i see any leaks anywhere(i got the brake lines checked as well). so, does the brake fliud just evaporate or am i missing something here?
Old 20th December 2010, 13:36   #41
BHPian

One other thing i wanted confirmed is, i see a drop in the Brake fuild levels in the car once in about 20,000 kms. is this normal? its not affecting the braking performance nor do i see any leaks anywhere(i got the brake lines checked as well). so, does the brake fliud just evaporate or am i missing something here?[/quote]

How much does it drop ? If just a little, that should be normal & a top off will work ? Does your braking action feel spongy ? I had a minor leak in the rear brake cylinder (you might check that as well , besides just the lines) & was hampering braking performance. Got it replaced.
Old 20th December 2010, 17:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I Hate this thread!

I can completely understand your temptation, as long as you actually dont implement it.

You see, some of these comments apart from the awesome driving feedback keeps us Palio /1.6 owners going.

I had an option of taking my MJD / 1.6 for a recent 1000km trip. Inspite of petrol cost, decided to take the 1.6. Had absolute fun, including keeping a couple of Innovas at bay for about 200 kms. Yippee!

Cheers,
Jagan
Old 21st December 2010, 20:55   #43
BHPian

Crash!!!

A sad update guys! had a crash in the car this weekend. the front end is in pretty bad shape. looong list of parts that need replacing.

An elderly couple decided to jump in the road and cross so a swift dezire in front braked hard to avoid them. i was behind and could not stop in time. creshed into the back of the swift.

the bumper, cross member, fog lights, headlights, radiator, condensor, hood, front grill all need repair/replacement.

have dropped the car at Accumen motors since they are the new TATA-FIAT @$$.

does anyone have any previous experience with them or their work quality.

one thing for certain is that the work is going to take a long time since they dont have any of the parts required and are going to have to order for them. hope the car gets ready by the new year.

Kiran.
Old 21st December 2010, 21:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Oh man! Sorry to hear about the accident. :-(

Acumen are relatively new, so I doubt you'd find anyone who has used them for Tata Fiat cars. Check with Pandit if they have these parts in stock; if yes, move the car there (assuming the insurance surveyor hasn't made his visit yet).

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st December 2010 at 21:06.
Old 21st December 2010, 21:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Oh man! Sorry to hear about the accident. :-(

Acumen are relatively new, so I doubt you'd find anyone who has used them for Tata Fiat cars. Check with Pandit if they have these parts in stock; if yes, move the car there (assuming the insurance surveyor hasn't made his visit yet).

Cheers,
Vikram
I had gone to Pandit in the past and the quality of work was shoddy to say the least. they had done some paint touch up jobs on the hood and the paint had started bubbling. so i definitely dont trust them in terms of a paint job.

B.U.Bhandari was awesome with all jobs but they are not authorised @$$ anymore though willing to do the job. i just dint go there since insurance is in the picture and did not want that to be a hindrance.

Most Viewed